Rude Farang Waitress/owner

JonnyF

It wasn't supposed to be funny; I can't understand why a basically decent human being who does a reasonably good job of purveying pizzas in a normally packed restaurant has to be the subject of so much "bashing"

Because 'bashing' is (unfortunately) a sport for some (quite a lot) members. I often wonder why ..

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I am a huge Monty Python fan, Patriot, maybe it would help if I gave you

"The show so far"

Johnny F posts that he and his girl were treated rudely by the owner of M&M’s, a table of four since they were only two was changed for a table of two.Assumed she had a “that will show them attitude”, and left without eating.

Stevenl pipes in with if you don’t like a place don’t eat there, logical.

Robinsons enter with it’s his favorite pizza.

Huggybear the Great, chimes in with maybe there was some misinterpretation there by the OP.

Chickencurry is happy we are bashing Maggie instead of Don.

Patriot says give it another go.

Stuandchris prefers a pizza joint in Phuket town

Smartcosse does not see a problem with what happened about the table. That’s why he has Smart in his name.

Rewket calls JohnnyF a “whiny baby” which is actually quite funny.JohnnyF has nice comeback about sister calling him names, TOUCHE !

Khun Jack and Steel Pulse are on the same page with the fact that the pizzas are too small and light on toppings for the money.

Huggybear the great chimes in with it’s her F**ing restaurant she can do whatever she likes, harleyclarkey misinterprets post and seems to feel that HB called him a wanke_r. Not intended HC.

Then it goes off topic to the Amalfi guy who has been labeled a bald poofy git.

And that is the show, so far.......

Actually not a lot of bashing.

Also, everybody-it's HER dam_n RESTAURANT! She can do whatever she likes including telling you to p**s off. If she goes under because she has no customers, so then be it, such is life, but for you to say "oh, my school of business says the customers come first", well, remember, you're in Thailand.

Now, I am confused... :D

So, is it that in Thailand customers don't come first ? Or, is it that for farand restauranteurs in Thailand customers don't have to come first? :o

And sometimes it's just other folks perception of rudeness.

Some parts of the world are known for courtesy, and others are not. The visitor, particularly one engaged in business or diplomacy, must make adjustments. Frank Australians could unwittingly spoil their relationship with a Malaysian host in the first five minutes. Aggressive North Americans may so offend a Japanese visitor that negotiation fails.

The bifurcation of peoples into the polite and the rude is not random. To put it in the blunt manner characteristic of my own country, the division boils down to this: Western cultures are rude, and other cultures are polite.

I can sense your reaction…. First, there are far too many exceptions. When you visited Denmark the people were very polite, but your trip to India was marred by constant harassment in shops and on the street. Australians wait their turn, while Chinese push their way ahead of you. Canadian drivers courteously yield to pedestrians, while many African motorists ignore them. Tel Aviv is a non-Western city and yet not particularly known for courtly behavior.

Even when my generalization seems to hold, there are bewildering variations and inconsistencies. Japan's elaborate rules of etiquette maintain harmony on the street as well as in the boardroom. France is no less known for etiquette (the very word is French), and yet who can be ruder than Parisians? If the Chinese share the Japanese concern with saving face and respect for feelings, why are they are prone to loud arguments and even fisticuffs in public places? Latin Americans are famous for solicitude and displays of affection, and yet theirs is the land of machismo, popularly associated with violence and abuse. The Shona people of east Africa charm everyone with their friendly nature and gentle good humour. But superiors bark orders at subordinates, and affability can vanish in an instant where ethnic rivalries are concerned.

Beneath the complexity, however, there is a principle at work. To put it briefly and abstractly, Western cultures are rule-based. They are deeply influenced by the justice tradition of Judaism and Islam, as well as classical Greek rationality. Laws believed to be based on reason and justice, provide a foundation for living together. Other cultures find other ways.

They may rely on authority, group solidarity, or sensitivity to the feelings of others. Whereas Westerners try to resolve conflict by appealing to principles of fairness, non-Westerners strive not to give offense in the first place. They develop a tradition of courtesy, empathy and deference to superiors.

This is not to say that Westerners are inconsiderate. They are bound by rules that protect the rights of others. This should not be misinterpreted as courtesy, however. Rule-governed behavior respects the rights of any person, or at least any citizen, including those one has never met. It is based on abstract principles of justice. Courtesy respects the feelings of the people at hand. It is based on concrete empathy and concern. A rule-governed Westerner might work on behalf of strangers in a distant land while ignoring the feelings of people in the same room.

My apologies for waffling on a bit, but I'm just saying…

Edited by billythehat

Vote with your feet. :D

Yes, "britmaveric" I did this a few years ago in Chaing Mai @ the Red Lion :D, when they asked me to go and sit at another table, moved next door or two up river and had a great meal in the German restaurant. When in CM I always go there ever since and I am a Brit too boot and they did this too me :o, I Booted them out of my life. :D

Having had this experience I always ask "Kan I sit here?" 99% one Kan, the udder 1% I use your advise and

Vote with me feet
:D

Perhaps the Customer is not always right, but it is my right to sit or not to sit where I choose (GOM) :D

Kan Win :D

I can't believe this thread is still going. I think she has been bashed enough don't you? Move along folks, there is nothing to see here. :o

I reckon this thread will still be going when Mario and Megni get back from their hols in August

I can't believe this thread is still going. I think she has been bashed enough don't you? Move along folks, there is nothing to see here. :o

I reckon this thread will still be going when Mario and Megni get back from their hols in August

you are probably right as there are topics within the topic which are pertinent:

-service industry in Phuket

-Italian food in Phuket

-cross-cultural perceptions

subtopic, what I feel is "rude" maybe is not to someone else

To Vanali: yes, the pizza at Toto is good, who is running it now, do you know?

Vote with your feet. :D

Yes, "britmaveric" I did this a few years ago in Chaing Mai @ the Red Lion :D, when they asked me to go and sit at another table, moved next door or two up river and had a great meal in the German restaurant. When in CM I always go there ever since and I am a Brit too boot and they did this too me :o, I Booted them out of my life. :D

Having had this experience I always ask "Kan I sit here?" 99% one Kan, the udder 1% I use your advise and

Vote with me feet
:D

Perhaps the Customer is not always right, but it is my right to sit or not to sit where I choose (GOM) B)

Kan Win :D

If you "Kan't Win" :D I agree .....just go somewhere else :D

• 4 months later...

There are two sides to every story. I can see how it would get on the owners nerves if 2 people kept wanting a 4 person table when they knew that they are full most of the time.

On the other hand, I would have gone elsewhere if she treated me like that. :o

After reading this topic, my appreciation for Salvatore and his food grew even more.

He is one of the best hosts around, humble and true professional.

Oh yeah, he makes great pizza too.

Guess we have the same taste: Went last Saturday with my wife to Salvatore, just great!

He's gonna open a new place in Patong but it will be a steak house.

Gerd