Whats The Return On Condos When Renting Out

TheDon

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Whats the avg return say for a condo for 1,000,000 baht. How much baht do you think you will get back in rent?

Depends what city you are in. I don't know Bangkok, but in Chiang Mai the lower end condos have a better rate of return. Some I've seen at about 600k are getting 12% while others at 4.5m are only getting 6.5%. Check around what similar is renting at and then just crunch the numbers. Of course bear in mind desirability of the property to maximise both rent and how long it is vacant, which is a part of the equation some like to omit.

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Whats the avg return say for a condo for 1,000,000 baht. How much baht do you think you will get back in rent?

in pattaya i would say between 6k and 10k a month so average 8k for one in a good area,problem is there arent many nice ones in a good area for that price. i have a few condos rented out and for long term i have to give good discount normally but wouldnt go below 6k a month on a million baht one.

pm me for more details if you want

• 5 weeks later...

I won't pay more than 5-6% on a 12 month lease and that was before market rates fell.

For buying, I'd look to gain immediately from improved internal specification if the building warranted it and look for 10% upwards. On annual leases I would be lucky to get 10% on anything above a very basic very cheap condo which I paid very little for.

That said, if you have control over the electric, you can add on a surcharge so that you pay 3.25 baht a unit but sell the electric at say 6 baht or more. That can significantly add to the income you receive.

For instance, in my condo in View Talay 2 in Pattaya I use about Bt1500 of electric a month at the 3.25 government rate. Now if I charged double that (for easy maths), I would get an extra Bt1500 on my rent. I can get Bt300 for cable which is now quasi free and perhaps click a little elsewhere. So I might get Bt2000 on top of the rough Bt13k to 15k rent. Effectively upping my gross yield by a couple of percentage points.