New Mobile Phone For The Wife

PattayaDavid

My wife's present Nokia phone (model 6260) is more than 3 years old and has developed a few software glitches and the battery has swollen and needs replacement.  Being that it is so old and that her birthday is coming up, I thought I might look for her a new phone.  She likes the Nokia phones, to be specific, she prefers the Nokia flip type, (folding or clamshell), which unfortunately narrows down the choices.  So far, I have narrowed down the selection to the following:

Nokia N76

Nokia 6290

Nokia 6267

I would have included the N93i, but she considers it to be too big.  The N76 is around one year old now, pretty much full featured, but has a bad reputation for the chrome coloring peeling off the phone in short order revealing the rather unsightly white plastic underneath.  It is a stylish and very slim mobile for a folder, similar to the Motorola Razor V8.  It runs the latest Symbian S60 ver. 3 firmware

The Nokia 6290 and 6267 models are identical in style, size and design.  The Nokia 6290 is around one year old and operates on Symbian S60.  The Nokia 6267 is a new model with some newer features than that of the 6290, but operates on the Symbian S40 firmware.

Has anyone had any experience or has any helpful information concerning any of these phones?  I personally believe that Samsung has some better offerings with the folding design.  I would welcome any input or recommendations concerning Samsung phones or any other brand that I may have overlooked, however the priority is towards the Nokia models at this time.

I should also address how my wife will primarily use the phone.  If I were buying it for myself, I would be looking for things like WiFi and upcoming 3G connections.  My wife, Thai, likes to talk on the phone plus she would be interested in taking, managing and sending pictures.  She may send an occasional SMS, but not too often.  Of course, with her being Thai, style and looks has to be near the top of the list.  Good battery life is a consideration, however neither of these 3 phones exhibit fantastic battery life.

From what I have found thus far in my search, Nokia has no plans for a new high end folder for the near future.  I believe the N76, being an N model is and will be the top model for some time in the future.  Yes, if I could talk her into a brick or slider model phone, there would be a greater selection of phones to choose from and she would get a much better phone for the money.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Thanks,

Pattayadavid 

If in doubt, buy the most expensive one. Always works with my better half... :o

Her infallible logic goes like this: "If it's more expensive, it must be better. Otherwise, why would it be more expensive?". To which my informed, logical response is: Never argue with the wife.

My wife wants to go to a new Nokia clamshell too. She decided the 6600 folder was what she wanted. Of course it will be in the 14,000 baht price range. It's new on the market, released last month.

PattayaDavid, I bought Samsung for wife. Bad mistake. Not user-friendly at all, especially for sms and mms.

Nokia is the best choice. Easy to use. As for the clamshells I don't know, but I agree with Nikster. Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs should get used to it. Buy the most expensive one. Then you can wait 12-18 months before the next one has to be bought.

PattayaDavid, I bought Samsung for wife. Bad mistake. Not user-friendly at all, especially for sms and mms.

Nokia is the best choice. Easy to use. As for the clamshells I don't know, but I agree with Nikster. Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs should get used to it. Buy the most expensive one. Then you can wait 12-18 months before the next one has to be bought.

My wife bought a little Samsung E370. It's a slick enough little phone but I could never use it. The audio is VERY poor. I just can't hear well enough to use it. Since she picked it out, she will NEVER complain about it. I just bought a cheap new Nokia 1200 for a spare and she is using that until she finds a new phone she likes. Probably the Nokia 6600 Fold. The reason she is using the cheap Nokia is because I am now using the Samsung with my Dtac card for the Internet. It works quite well with Bluetooth. My Nokia E51 has the AIS card which is my regular number as well as using it for the Internet. I think she likes the cheap Nokia better than her Samsung. It does talk quite good. Maybe she'll forget that she wants a new phone.

buy the one with the tv, my wife love its :o

What model phone has TV in Thailand (lol)?  I think I will take a look at the Nokia 6600.  I've been doing some reading on the Motorola RAZR2 V9, but I don't know if it is available in Thailand.  I will check around this weekend as the wife's birthday is Tuesday; running out of time.

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

What model phone has TV in Thailand (lol)?  I think I will take a look at the Nokia 6600.  I've been doing some reading on the Motorola RAZR2 V9, but I don't know if it is available in Thailand.  I will check around this weekend as the wife's birthday is Tuesday; running out of time.

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Nokia has two versions of the 6600, one is a candy bar style and the other is the 6600 Fold. I have no idea why they use the same number for two different style phones.

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Nokia has two versions of the 6600, one is a candy bar style and the other is the 6600 Fold. I have no idea why they use the same number for two different style phones.

Gary,

I've been Googling the Nokia 6600 Folding and it appears to be something that my wife would like; a more sleek sylish shape and not as thick as the Nokia 6267.  It also comes with an OLED screen which should render excellent color and visibility.  Is this model yet available in Thailand?  How much?

Pattayadavid

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Gary,

I've been Googling the Nokia 6600 Folding and it appears to be something that my wife would like; a more sleek sylish shape and not as thick as the Nokia 6267.  It also comes with an OLED screen which should render excellent color and visibility.  Is this model yet available in Thailand?  How much?

Pattayadavid

I have not seen one yet but I think some of the bigger phone stores may have them by now or at least could give you information. The only price I saw was 275 Euros retail, so not cheap.

Whichever phone you choose second hand is the way to go!

Thailand has such a good second hand phone market. Nokia gets my vote.

I would guess that you're not married. A Thai woman would rather have no phone than a second hand phone. My wife is using the cheap NEW Nokia but if I had bought a top of the line second hand phone, it would have been no good.