The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

Excellent…. good on ya. :o These guys are all over the world. I love winding them up. I’m normally a nice guy, but for them…………

I ones I’ve encountered are usually ex military expats. They act as if they’re living in the colonial past and look down their noses at anyone or everyone.

They deserve everything they get.

Carl, you may have had an ET experience. :o

Jokes aside, I'd keep on going and make sure that I sat in the seat he thinks is his. The guy sounds like a complete tool.

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 2

You know what's gonna happen now doncha? There is gonna be a rush on for THAT seat every morning as soon as they open the doors to Emporium at 10am. I can just picture the scene now as TV Members make a beeline for that stool! Hilarious! :D .

Could be the next meeting place for a 'Thai Visa Members' breakfast!!! :o

Edited by Andiamo
  • Haha 1

The guy is certainly no ex-army colonial type, just a middle aged middle class grump who seems to hate people and life, and makes it known.

I feel sorry for the staff in there, especially the assistant manager (a polite friendly woman) who has to grin and bear his outbursts and insults. He exclaimed that he'll contact Oriental Hotel top brass to complain about this and her if I am in that seat tomorrow morning.

Guess what.

I will be in that seat.

I would like to inform the manager's boss of this situation somehow before he does. I hope they don't bow to his "coffee and cake for 5 years regular, so entitled to VIP seating reservation" tactics.

• Like 1

I wouldn't describe him as grumpy, more of a kn*bhead. You should hang around out of sight until you see him walk towards the seat then run and grab it before he can react. For extra childish fun start stretching and making loud, satisfied noises while winking at him. See if he has the balls to say anything to your face :o

Actually, grumpy expat being snotty to Thais lower in the hierarchy to him. Hmm, wonder if he is a regular poster here :D

I forgot to say, this chap wants his place EVERY morning until lunchtime, including weekends. If he can't get it (after the outbursts) he does downstairs to the Salon cafe and comes up on a regular basis to get his seat. If unavailable, outburst. Repeated until he gets his seat.

It's easy to find and at 10am there are very few sit-in customers. But hey, I'm a new regular for a while! tee hee.

You should make a map out and anyone who reads this thread should pop in at all times and take his reserved spot. What a wan*er!!!

:o Excellent idea, I quite fancy popping down that way on Friday.

I forgot to say, this chap wants his place EVERY morning until lunchtime, including weekends. If he can't get it (after the outbursts) he does downstairs to the Salon cafe and comes up on a regular basis to get his seat. If unavailable, outburst. Repeated until he gets his seat.

It's easy to find and at 10am there are very few sit-in customers. But hey, I'm a new regular for a while! tee hee.

Just tell manageress that lot of TV members will be in, so in fact most likely get more business and lose one W*nker!!! :o Just every 30min or so pass the seat off to the next TV member!! (this good be good fun)

Edited by britmaveric

Spoilt when he was a child maybe,?. i HATE people like this, well done for winding the ignorant <deleted> up, how people can behave and not know ( or care ) like this is beyond me,. ugh,.and yes i too am ashamed to admit im English sometimes, only because of the behaviour of others though,. :o

I feel sorry for the staff in there, especially the assistant manager (a polite friendly woman) who has to grin and bear his outbursts and insults. He exclaimed that he'll contact Oriental Hotel top brass to complain about this and her if I am in that seat tomorrow morning.

Spare a thought for the Asst Manager. She has to take his abuse and may be worried about the repercussions if he complains about her.

How about just sitting next to him tomorrow and telling him what a prat he is.

I'm sure the staff are spitting in his coffee etc. already.Not something I would usually approve of, but in this case.... :o

Just tell manageress that lot of TV members will be in, so in fact most likely get more business and lose one W*nker!!! :o Just every 30min or so pass the seat off to the next TV member!! (this good be good fun)

This could become like a cult. That seat is gonna be the hallowed turf! An the Oriental is gonna be the busiest it's ever been at 10am - all the TVers complaining cos they want THAT seat! :D

I'm often in Emporium Tower so may also pop over and elbow some of youse off da seat! Look out! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :D

mmmm, i have seen something like that, but it was about a parkingspot. They both started coming earlier each day, just for that one spot.

We had a vote, and put the name of the one we thought who was " in title" to that spot, on a sign and put it there in the grass border.

You should have seen it, really. The " wrong" guy showed up first, and pulled out the sign and threw it away.

We put it back in the evening, and the next day the same thing happened.

The day after, the " right " guy parked there first, and it was the first time he saw the sign. He was smiles all over.

The other guy showed up up, noticed the sign, got out of the car, pulled it out of the ground an smacked it on top of the other guy`s car.

That was it!! They had a nice fight and absolutely had to be stopped, they would have killed each other.

We also had to come earlier every day, but we started to take turns, and used a video camera so we could show the others. ( yes i know, like kids)

With te company christmas party ' someone" ( no not me) gave them both a copy of the fight, and the both thought that the "other " one was playing santa.

It started all over again, but with being nasty to each other on each and every occasion possible. Talk about grown ups... ( forgetting our part here, hahaha)

You know what's gonna happen now doncha? There is gonna be a rush on for THAT seat every morning as soon as they open the doors to Emporium at 10am. I can just picture the scene now as TV Members make a beeline for that stool! Hilarious! :D .

Could be the next meeting place for a 'Thai Visa Members' breakfast!!! :o

Yes!

Excellent…. good on ya. :o These guys are all over the world. I love winding them up. I’m normally a nice guy, but for them…………

I ones I’ve encountered are usually ex military expats. They act as if they’re living in the colonial past and look down their noses at anyone or everyone.

They deserve everything they get.

I'm not only ex-military but retired military (from the US Navy) and i take issue with that stereotypical statement. I've always treated foreign nationals with respect and dignity. Don't lump ex-military expats into one group, it shows ignorance and narrow-mindedness

Regards

If he can't get it (after the outbursts) he does downstairs to the Salon cafe...

So, anyone know where his favorite seat is down there, too? :o

Nope, I only found out that he resorts to a seat down there today. If you check out Oriental Cafe at 9.50 you will see the staff have placed a plate of quiche at his place. They gladly move it if you want to sit there. I will be there at that time and if anyone wants to join me and fill the 5 seats along the window next to me and await his arrival, you are welcome to. I'll be the blonde guy, medium height, early 30s. You will honestly be amazed at the guaranteed performance, more than I can describe in words on here. Besides, I need someone to take my place at weekends when I won't be there.

The assistant manageress (forgot her name) is a little worried about him complaining, so if anyone knows who to contact at the Oriental I'll put in a good word for her and let them know she's doing a good job as it is.

• Haha 1

I say you don't take his seat next time, but take the seat next to it.

When he comes in, he is happy and gets his seat. The mangeress is also happy because she's not getting stressed out by 'two little boys fighting over a seat in class' which she doesn't need or deserve.

And you can ask him why he is obsessed with getting that seat everyday. Maybe he's a really nice guy.

I wholeheartedly admit that I would probably also be playing the childish game. :o

But I'd like to think I'd try the alternative as well.

Edited by burman

Interesting stance Burman and I could try it, but when I think about it on the first time (Friday) I and my wife happened to be sitting in the middle seats quite innocently (the only people in the cafe!!) leaving "his" end seat free. As it was so close he still got mad and then slammed his stuff down the other side of me. It took a while before we realised that we had made him mad.

Every little mannerism I've noticed with this guy from his body language talking to the staff, the needless pushing away of my bag to the telephone manner he used in English and Thai while working ensured me that this is no nice guy.

If it wasn't me sitting in this area it would be someone else, as the staff said it's a regular occurance (with their tolerant smiles). I do actually feel a bit guilty for causing them a little more indirect abuse than they normally have with this guy though.

If it wasn't me sitting in this area it would be someone else

Fair point. And you are saving those customers from a similar fate, almost providing a service in fact by taking the heat.

Enjoy guilt free knowing you looked at the alternative. :o