The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

• 7 months later...

It wasn't for lack of effort we only got second place.... seriously I had insiders (cafe staff) letting me in the employee entrances to get to the table first, still couldn't beat him. We began to wonder if he lived int he elevator in the end? I have since moved away from the big smoke, so would love if someone can still get a 'crack' at him. Just for posterity.

Oz

Why is it that so many expats in Thailand think the world revolves around them? I see this so much, "I have a fortuner or a condo" so therefor I am superior to everyone else. Same behaviors would get there butts kicked in there own country, but most expats are careful to cause trouble in Thailand so we let them get away with it.

Any news on who made the stool today?

i make a stool most days but suspect that is not what you are asking. seems your thread has died an ignoble death. shame.

Any updates on the GOM?

Will be in BKK soon and want to get a pic with him. Have you been there lately?

Given the age of the the thread I am not sure whether it is worth the trip.

well since he is a creature of habit, then it will be easily determined, and the breakfast isn't that bad either. The staff will be able to point him out...if he hasn't died a lonely miserable death yet.

Oz

Oz, this thread was hilarious at the time. I do wonder if he still resides at his table, or has since moved on to pastures new.

If he was a real business man, he would likely not have time to run from cafe to cafe from morning till noon each day.

Further, if he was a businessman in Thailand, he would know that it is often quite difficult to directly contact top level management at most big companies, even if you have a valid reason.

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was this the guy who left a torn 20b bank note as a tip in a cafe near Panthip plaza a few days ago ???

Different category of lunatic.

After all this time, the original grump is probably dead.

On 5/1/2021 at 6:22 PM, kynikoi said:

Real expats don't hang out or live on Sukhumvit. The guy you ran into + the tourists are precisely why.

I know a few that do. In your experience then where do all the real expats hang out or live.? 

The problem with standing your ground on this sort of thing is that you are playing his game.

There's not any winners or losers, but just players.

Do what you want, I'm just giving you some advice from a lifetime. The only way to have this stuff not bother you is to not play the game, and you will find that other players know when your not in the game, and somehow don't come around much anymore.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:17 AM, Poet said:

Different category of lunatic.

After all this time, the original grump is probably dead.

You may be right, after the Oriental Cafe shifted location in the Emporium about 5 years ago, I haven't seen the grump since. Coincidentally Mr Toad also seemed to drop off the radar around the same time.

• Like 1

I saw him one year later, again being aggressive to a local, walking from Exchange Tower on the overpass.  Since then I spent less time in that part of Sukhumvit so no idea if he’s still the creature of habit he once was. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:48 PM, rott said:
On 5/1/2021 at 6:22 PM, kynikoi said:

Real expats don't hang out or live on Sukhumvit. The guy you ran into + the tourists are precisely why.

I know a few that do. In your experience then where do all the real expats hang out or live.? 

The real expats live in the ‘real Thailand’ having moved back to village with Tuk whom they met in that Sukhumvit 22 beer bar one fateful evening 10 years ago....  the lunchtime bugs are delightful and the buffalo rarely falls ill....  

• Like 1