The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wednesday is the anniversary of this thread, anybody know if the GOM is still active? I won't be back in Bangkok for another 4 weeks or I would slide in for a slow coffee and cake, and report back.

Yes I know, sad really but i missed out last time around.

I forgot to say, this chap wants his place EVERY morning until lunchtime, including weekends. If he can't get it (after the outbursts) he does downstairs to the Salon cafe and comes up on a regular basis to get his seat. If unavailable, outburst. Repeated until he gets his seat.

Actually sounds like classic OCD, obsessive compulsives (like Jack Nicholson in "Good as it Gets"), daily routines are ritualized, any break from the norm throws these people into a tailspin. <_<

I once shared an apartment with a guy who had it - I know I should not laugh but 17 years laters I still find some of his antics hilarious

Showering up to 6 times a day (in Scotland) and often pouring a whole bottle of dettol over himself to get "Really clean".

Eating 6 chicken pies at once but all upside down on the plate and making a hole in the bottom to eat the insides first and pastry last

Plug on bathroom sink wrapped around once to the right

loads more :D

Shared flat with guy the same as you.This guy took photos of everything he ate!!!!!! offten wondered if he took camara to the loo?????? some very strange habits people have.

Wednesday is the anniversary of this thread, anybody know if the GOM is still active? I won't be back in Bangkok for another 4 weeks or I would slide in for a slow coffee and cake, and report back.

Yes I know, sad really but i missed out last time around.

I was down to the Emporium about 2 months ago, and he was sitting right there in his favorite spot.

i don't have time to read all the posts but has anyone gone to sit there to see this dude...its so oh tempting.....

maybe a mass sit in - video it and pop it on you tube!

OP, While I agree his behavior is childish, rude and disrespectful, and not excusing it your actions are just causing as much commotion as his childish antics as well you are also causing this cafe to potentially lose a long time faithful customer who has probably spent more money with them than you have or probably will in the future as well..

The guy is probably stressed all day and has few simple pleasures, one of which is starting off his stressful day with a simple favored stool location or as another poster mentioned maybe even OCD and then he has to deal with some self righteous expat retiree (even worse if your not full time) who has just as little consideration as he does, I don't see how your actions should be applauded anymore than his. While he may be an arrogant bully who probably deals with likewise expats all day long you are an inconsiderate antagonist with no less childish behavior IMO... Your "winding him up" as you put it, is every bit as rude and childish and does not elevate you like you think it does...

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'll take my wife, her two layabout brothers and my 3 year old son there next time in Bkk.

I garantee we will cure him of his obsessive compulsive disorder in no time. :)

Seriously though, I will go just to amuse myself. I allways need my daily dose of fun at someone elses expense.

10-11 you say?

OP, While I agree his behavior is childish, rude and disrespectful, and not excusing it your actions are just causing as much commotion as his childish antics as well you are also causing this cafe to potentially lose a long time faithful customer who has probably spent more money with them than you have or probably will in the future as well..

The guy is probably stressed all day and has few simple pleasures, one of which is starting off his stressful day with a simple favored stool location or as another poster mentioned maybe even OCD and then he has to deal with some self righteous expat retiree (even worse if your not full time) who has just as little consideration as he does, I don't see how your actions should be applauded anymore than his. While he may be an arrogant bully who probably deals with likewise expats all day long you are an inconsiderate antagonist with no less childish behavior IMO... Your "winding him up" as you put it, is every bit as rude and childish and does not elevate you like you think it does...

Is this our guy?

Is this our guy?

Why the incrimination's? Is it because I dare to differ and not to jump on the bashing bandwagon and take a more pragmatic and compassionate point of view?? :) Without reading this entire thread of &lt;deleted&gt; I noticed at least one other poster at the top of the page take the same tact as me, is he your guy?

Without reading this entire thread

Suggest you do before commenting ...... or you are also going to end up sounding like a self righteous prick ...... not a flame, just a bit of advice.

Breathtakingly ironic...

Thanks.

Is this our guy?

Why the incrimination's? Is it because I dare to differ and not to jump on the bashing bandwagon and take a more pragmatic and compassionate point of view?? :) Without reading this entire thread of &lt;deleted&gt; I noticed at least one other poster at the top of the page take the same tact as me, is he your guy?

After reading this post I'm convinced it's him :D

Without reading this entire thread

Suggest you do before commenting ...... or you are also going to end up sounding like a self righteous prick ...... not a flame, just a bit of advice.

I guess your not one of those who can easily comprehend the gist of a threads content without slowly and meticulously combing over every word. I on the other hand am not one of those types, in a thread such as this it is easy to read enough to get a flavor of the direction of where the thread is headed and reading 34 pages of repetitive tripe to confirm that is not necessary for me, you have at it though..

How very hypocritical of you I must say, the only self righteous pricks here seem to be those making judgments on this person with out having a single clue of his real character or life behind the scenes but that is typical pack mentality... not flaming though, just a bit of advice.. :D:)

I'm extremely shocked that since the real subject of this topic has not responded that, in it's frustration the pack is beginning to turn towards me since I don't share nor advocate your disdain for this individual based on one persons perception and description. Not possible for me to do in reality since I don't know him personally as I suspect none of you also do not (at least none of the numbers of responses I've read).. :D:D

All too often people make rash judgments about a persons character based on someone else's limited perspective of them without making their own assessment.. It's that Thai train of thought, guilty until proven innocent..

I met a right &lt;deleted&gt; about 2 years back while on Visa Run to Laos, he was so derogatory of everything Thai it was sickening. I've also met some grumpy expats in Immigration.

Is this our guy?

After reading this post I'm convinced it's him :D

Well you're a gullible fool then as I don't have the first clue of this person of which you so roundly condemn nor do I even know of this cafe or really don't even give a squat either..

But cheers for proving my point about your ability to make rash, baseless judgments about people you have never even met based on one post, well done! Since you're that gullible I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you then..

Maybe the O.P. can pretend that he's a CEO for a company,then he may not feel so inclined to rouse a rabble of peasants with pitchforks heading for the castle walls...petty jealousy and professional envy,that is what we're dicussing here aren't we...or have I got something wrong? :)

Well I'm just glad I'm not more successful in business than the O.P. or the same fate might befall me...hold on...I see a crowd of rather unwashed looking serfs gathering outside my local Starbucks...what could this mean... :D

This thread was very funny.

But it made me ask myself at what point does the focus of this thread deserve my compassion rather than my ridicule. I think once more than about four people are after him.

For me it stops being fun when (a dozen?) people are ready to go and simply bait him for their amusement.

I have to admit initially I would have gone along myself, until I gave it some thought.

Still, is this the longest thread on TV?

Maybe the O.P. can pretend that he's a CEO for a company,then he may not feel so inclined to rouse a rabble of peasants with pitchforks heading for the castle walls...petty jealousy and professional envy,that is what we're dicussing here aren't we...or have I got something wrong? :)

Well I'm just glad I'm not more successful in business than the O.P. or the same fate might befall me...hold on...I see a crowd of rather unwashed looking serfs gathering outside my local Starbucks...what could this mean... :D

You've got a funny way of reading things Tim. The man's manners were appalling. It didn't matter if he was a plumber or a CEO to me, they should be treated the same. I certainly didn't care to find out his job title at the time to compare our levels of social and professional hierarchy and then decide what level of jealous response is appropriate. To even suggest that is strange in itself.

No Lords were harmed in the telling of this story and no peasants were roused to a confrontation.

If the thread is hogwash and unfair so be it, but no-one's trying to form a vigilante group. However, after reading the first and last pages and then deciding that the chap was given unfair press just go yourself and test it. If you really think you'll smile and move out of your seat for a man huffing and puffing and complaining loudly to the staff so you'll hear and give him his regular spot, you're either a saint or a mouse.

Edited by CarlBkk

I have a favourite fishing spot near my apartment and I always go fishing there at the same time each day. Lately I've found that another bloke has started using it at exactly the same time, should I throw my toys out the cot and complain to the building management? No, the guy the OP is describing sounds like a &lt;deleted&gt;.

OK I have read 35 pages of funny thread it has kept me amused most of the day (slow reader), it is almost certain that he has OCD but even with OCD no-one has the right to give staff a hard time when it is not their fault.

Thankfully CarlBKK gave us a few laughs alone the way but on the serious note he has managed to let it be known that the "Mark" attitude is not one he displaying as a member Expat Community of upstanding citizen and has slightly modified his attitiude to the staff etc.

One of the people I feel sorry for in all this is his poor partner/wife.

Must pop into there one day hopefully see him there.

I have a favourite fishing spot near my apartment and I always go fishing there at the same time each day. Lately I've found that another bloke has started using it at exactly the same time, should I throw my toys out the cot and complain to the building management? No, the guy the OP is describing sounds like a &lt;deleted&gt;.

Don't you mean, "throw my fish out of the net"? :)