Any Good Doctor Recommendation For Acne Treatment/consultation?

Steele404

It's virtually impossible to get good treatment in Thailand for acne. The Clinics make a fortune peddling their "Wonder Creams" and potions, none of which have lasting results. The clinics have a vested interest in ensuring that the acne improves but doesn't go away, thereby maintaining their income stream. Just look at the clinics offering this service, they are everywhere. I wonder why?

The average Thai's servile, respectful and humble attitude to doctors only perpetuates this problem. Most patients dont even know what the doctor has prescribed, because they never question a doctor. Doctors see the patient as a source of income. Best of luck with your search but you will just end up going round in circles spending ever increasing amounts of money until you come to the conclusions I made above.

Cheers Rick

• Thanks 1

Doctor Wichai Hongcharu, Saint Louis Hospital, Bangkok, is an internationally respected dermatologist. He was recommended to me by Doctor Chu in London (a leading Doctor in Acne/Scar treatments)as I have some slight residual scarring on the side of my face from teenage acne and wanted treatment.

Saint Louis Hospital is a non-profit hospital, so costs are not sky-high for treatment.

Dr Hongcharu gives international talks on treatments and various articles have been written about him. You will be in good hands.

Best of luck :o

Edited by eek

Thanks guys, in the beginning I was going to go to Samitivej hospital at sukhumvit. But I'm gonna try Dr. Wichai at St. Louis hospital instead, i've heard of that name before from a friend of mine too.

Feel free to add some more names to this thread.

I would also recommend:

Dr. Niwat Polnikorn M.D. at Kasemrad Hospital (Prachachuen)

He is now Chief of Dermatologic Surgery Unit of the Ramathibodi Hospital and the Head of the Ramathibodi International Training Center for Cutaneous Laser Surgery of the Mahidol University. He is currently the President of the Thai Society of Cosmetic Dermatology and Surgery.

It's virtually impossible to get good treatment in Thailand for acne. The Clinics make a fortune peddling their "Wonder Creams" and potions, none of which have lasting results. The clinics have a vested interest in ensuring that the acne improves but doesn't go away, thereby maintaining their income stream. Just look at the clinics offering this service, they are everywhere. I wonder why?

The average Thai's servile, respectful and humble attitude to doctors only perpetuates this problem. Most patients dont even know what the doctor has prescribed, because they never question a doctor. Doctors see the patient as a source of income. Best of luck with your search but you will just end up going round in circles spending ever increasing amounts of money until you come to the conclusions I made above.

Cheers Rick

Yea, you're right, getting acne/dermatologic treatments at a small Thai clinic is a big no-no. It's much better to do it at a respectable hospital, although this can be expensive for most Thais, but it's absolutely worthwhile.

Just got back from st. louise hospital, with a bloodied face and dried tears running from my eyes. :o

Roughly 180 acne spots removed with laser and machine-queezed out.

50 minutes waiting time for consultation (due to large queue).

another 40 minutes waiting time for laser room.

3500 baht total.

It would be great if you could post about your experience and follow up. At 35 my Thai partner has quite a bit of scarring to his scalp, back and face and continues to get that nasty boil-like acne in all those locations, but mostly on his scalp which he is self-conscious about. Maybe I can convince him to see someone.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

It would be great if you could post about your experience and follow up. At 35 my Thai partner has quite a bit of scarring to his scalp, back and face and continues to get that nasty boil-like acne in all those locations, but mostly on his scalp which he is self-conscious about. Maybe I can convince him to see someone.

Yeah, definitely, he should go see a doctor.

I would suggest you go try hospitals other than St. Louise. It's as if the doctor over there had to deal with a flood of patients which makes it boring for them to consult with you in detail over an extended amount of time. My consultation time with them took only a minute or so, which did'nt satisfy me at all.

Taking some particular laser treatments are abit painful (depends on laser types), have to tell your friend to swallow on it for a better health and lifestyle of confidence.

Laser treatments are good for acne scars but cannot be undretaken while the acne is still active.

People with sever acne should indeed see a qualified dermatologist. Quite likely they will wind up needing a course of roaccutane, which can only be obtained in Thailand from a doctor. It requires a long course of treatment (3-4 months) but is usually successful. Blood tests of liver function are needed before and during treatment as liver toxicity can occur. Absolutely contraindicated in pregnancy orwomen who may become prgenant.

if you are female, you might want to check your hormone balance. supposedly if females have acne past their early 20s it is almost always because of a hormonal problem. for instance i have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), so i have to take spironolactone to balance out an excess of testosterone. clears my skin up completely.

I suffered for years until the "wonder drug" Roaccutane was prescribed to me in the military, it allegedly has some side effects you need to be aware of by googling the name, but if you see a doctor here they will prescribe it for you and it is a bit cheaper here too.

If you have suffered acne, the aching joints and dry lips this drug gives you as it shrinks the oil producing gland is worth it 1000000 time over.

If anyone needs to know more of my experience with this drug just ask. Good luck.

Unless you're referring to surgical scar treatment etc, the resource http://www.acne.org has no equal imho. Dan Kern's regimen works for a lot of people.

acne.org also has a scar treatment forum section. In my opinion acne.org's forum is second to none for invaluable advice. People also give their views on roaccutane. I was on it myself many years back, however, i am one of the people who think the side effects outweighed the benefits. As eggshen suggests, its good to research on this site for others personal experiences to find out what is available and weigh up the pros and cons of a treatment.

Actually, just a side note, laser can be used on acne, but to my knowledge only the n-light laser. All others need the acne to be clear first.

Small sidebar: If anyone works with pesticides or chemicals and suffers from acne it may be a different issue: chloracne. Highly unlikely for most people, but up north there is still unregulated use of some of the organic compounds for agricultural purposes and this may bring it on. As usual, be specific with your health care provider.

Acne is just one of many manifestations of the body trying to rid itself of accumulated toxins, mainly derived from ingesting cooked foods.

Get onto a raw animal + vegetable food diet. For immediate topical relief, use colloidal silver.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am not a doctor nor have I had any medical training of any sort.

What you need is a course of antibiotics. Try Tetracycline this is a broad spectrum antibiotic that should clear up your problem. Be sure to take the whole course; don’t stop when you see improvements.

Most pharmacies in LOS will sell antibiotics and you can search the internet to get an idea of the amounts to take.

As I said I have no medical training whatsoever but then my suggestion is for free.

:o

• 1 year later...

The following post is just a log of my experience at St.Louis Hospital and my recommendations with Samitivej Hospital (Doctor Suwana), for anyone who's considering the treatment at St.Louis in the future:

first thing.... I attached you a picture of myself, 36 hours after my so called "treatment" at St.Louis of which they wreck destruction on my face... you should get the idea

post-62372-1251228510_thumb.jpg

Well, after that bloodied face, I returned once more for another treatment, but only because I still have faint in them hoping to be patient...

What i found out was that, their tactics were very aggressive, no matter how bad or minor your acne are, they seem to opt in zapping the acne with laser treatments, which left a bit of scarring on my face. But don't get them wrong, their treatments do cure your existing acne very effectively, but at a very painful cost.... And you will find that after a month or two, your acne will return.

First thing when you go to St. Louis hospital, there isn't really a set appointment time, every visit you make, you can wait anywhere between 40 minutes - 90 minutes..... the waiting time is just horrible, even with a 1-minute diagnosis with the doctor who doesn't really tell you anything and then straight to the operating table because there is a long queue for him, and I suppose he was bored of telling the exact same thing to hundreds of patients in a day...

So, after all that, I decided to change to Samitivej Hospital (thong lor area). Their treatment are less aggressive and the doctor I'm currently seeing do really care and take a crap about you. For instance, they remember my name right away, how much acne I had on the other visit, etc... Samitivej is very different from St.Louis hospital..... I guess it's the quality of service and their less agressive tactics for your acne. But I suggest if you plan to go for Samitivej, do follow their medication plan and instructions and be patient, and make sure you do follow ups accordingly as well (especially if you run out of medication). Currently I'm prescribed with roaccutane as my primary medication.. you might get the same thing if you go there...

And another note, Samitivej is a bit more expensive... so prepare to pay something like 3,000 - 5,000 per month on average depending on any "extras" treatment like therapy/facial treatments

Currently, I'm still having acne problems, but it's much better now... and I'm planning to do permanent hair removal laser treatment which will cost about 20,000 baht to do it on my cheeks and jawline area... this will solve my acne prone hair follicles

Cheers Rick

My GF has acne to. She also got the wonder creams, and bags full of Chinese doctor medicine. Nothing helped. When she came for a visit in NL, the doctor here gave some medicine, and it worked, simple anticonception pill.

Edited by Datsun240Z

Steele, you cannot go for lasers or tanning or hair removal while you are on accutane (or 6 months after AT LEAST). Accutane will help you acne. You will have to check your liver profile monthly and you might get dry eyes, lips etc...

In the end it will be worth it though.

I was with a very strict dr who tried many things including antibiotics, topical cream then sent me to a dermatologist. I was working in an industry where I couldn't afford the strong reaction that is typically experienced with Roaccutane, so he put me on half strength for a longer period. I used to have at least 6/9 pustules on my face at one time. Now I don't get any. I am also on deporavera, which is a needle contraceptive that lasts 3 months, so I don't get the hormone fluctuations, which cause the acne for me. Hope that helped. Can be very frustrating and socially inhibiting. Drink heaps of water too, and I mean heaps. Good luck. :)

• 9 years later...

Don't need a doctor. - Except that the doctor might put you straight, and you listen to the doctor.
Just make up your mind to do the right thing, change the mindset.
Yes, contraceptive pills work but usually not end of story.
* Drink more water.  *Make a habit of it.* Throughout the day. It doesn't have to be a glass each time. If you don't like it, put a few drops of lemon juice in it, makes it taste better.
* Eat vegetables and fruit every day.  Less bread, chips/crisps, pastries, etc. Instead of oily/fatty food.

The acne will stop after a few weeks.