Shaolin Temples

HugoB

There was a program on one of the UBC cable channels about Shaolin temples recently. The training is extremely tough. Not many students last more than a year. Many of them do it because they are going into the personal security (i.e. bodyguard) business, which is thriving in China, and it looks good on their resume. Buddhism was hardly mentioned at all and I don't recall anything about teaching foreigners. However, they did mention there were many "unofficial" Shaolin schools operating. I'm sure there would be one for foreigners.

There is a monk who defected about 10 yrs ago whilst on a tour of the USA, he has been a shaolin priest since the age of 5. He opened up a temple school in New York.

There have been foreigners studying as well,in China, but it is very tough! On top of the living conditions, language barriers etc...The training is no joke, and you have to do daily chores for the upkeep of the temple. However it would be the experience of a lifetime....May you seek happiness in your pursuit of this noble martial art. :o