First Expat?

azo

No one has mentioned old Texas Tom, who lived in Phaya Mengrqai for 30 years before passing away about 5 yr ago

yes you are right mumbo

i spoke to pineapple bob who confirmed tom was here before him

Old soldiers never die ......

post-6305-1214273394_thumb.jpg

Old Tony visited Chiang Rai first in 1946 as a young soldier in the British army. At that occasion he made the pictures in Mae Sai that were shown in the photo exhibition "Chiang Rai Through Foreign Eyes" (last year in the National Museum of Chiang Saen and the Rai Mae Fah Luang in Chiang Rai) to which more members of this forum contributed.

Two years ago Tony (now 82) decided that is was time to start to take things a little bit easier and he moved from Chiang Rai to a little village near Payao.

Tony is fluent in Thai, reads and writes it easily and is THE expert on Thai history.

post-6305-1214272746_thumb.jpg

Old Wout, 80 since last week, lived and worked for many years in Samut Phrakan and Bangkok before he, about 14 years ago, moved to a little village near Chiang Rai. He served, about fifty years ago, in the Dutch army in Indonesia, where he after a very short but intensive career as military police on the ships that brought the troops, was entrusted a trumpet to blow once in a while. This contributed very strongly to the historical fact the Netherlands had to give up Indonesia.

He refused all decorations, as he is a very modest man.

Limbo :o

Talking of Old soldiers, what about OTTO (german obviously) . his he still around. I thought I saw him about 18 months ago in the Car park at Big C. He must be in his 90's. Don't know how long he lived in Chiang Rai but I would say he was well established when I arrived about 12 years ago, he had already built himself what I can only describe as a Fortress out Chiang Kong way. complete with a watch tower with spiral staircase . He was an interesting Guy , spoke very good english with a french accent, strangely for a German. He was definately a Military type, probably ex hitler youth, and I suspect French Foreign legion. hence the fort and french accent, although that could have been my imagination.

• 5 weeks later...

Found a picture, taken in 1985 or 1986 on the foundation of what later would become the house of pizza-Hans.

It shows Pineapple Bob, some Thai friends and Limbo myself.

post-6305-1217312996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

You both are extremely horrible persons, so I refuse to react.

Anyhow, let me know when you are in town again.

Dear Goski, I still own you your beautiful pictures with which you contributed to the exhibition in the National Museum of Chiang Saen and the Rai Mae Fah Luang in Chiangrai.

Dear Erg, we, the members of the Chiang Rai Bicycle Club 'The Electric Eels' are wondering if you keep up the trainng on your island. Our muscles are like cables now, so be warned!

Take care my dear friends!

No worries Limbo! We will run into eachother soon enough, but just to put some pressure on you there is one of them that I would like to frame but it' s absolutely no rush about it and I can wait at least one more year or so! PM if you're in town some night, I do tend to check thaivisa every day.

Sorry to digress overlords of internet!