Local Wine

Sparkles

My wife and I are hoping to be living in the area shortly and was wondering where locals get local wine as opposed to the imported stuff. I have not seen, in my sporadic travels up north, any vineyards. I am an Australian and of course spoilt for good ,well priced,wine back in my country.On my last trip I was able to buy "Cleanskins" that is bulk wine pooled and bottled by the varous wine producers in plain label bottles for about 120 baht.Quite acceptable drop.

Have tried a few Thai wines ,purchased in Bangkok,ranging from quite reasonable to stuff that would be better suited to clearing blocked drains but nothing from the C RAI area. Exception is Saktong , a rather sweet fruity wine, which I bought for only 40 baht a bottle at an OTOP shop in Prae.Its not exactly wine as I know it but ok if you are desperate,which i usually am ! Any experiences anybody

There's a winery down Mae Suai way but doesn't seem to be doing a lot of grape wine.

If you're looking for lower priced wines try the duty free shop on the border at Tachilek.

They have fairly good international selection plus a few cask wines, including Lehmanns if my memory serves me correctly.

Of course what they have in stock is a week to week proposition.

CR have a few local vineyards that you can make a tour around the place.

http://maechanwinery.com/

http://www.chiangraiwinery.com/

Thanks everyone for the info. I must apologise a paragraph dropped off my original post,my fault, I was saying that if enough people were interested in might be worth approaching the wineries on a bulk deal similar to "Cleanskin" sales in Aus.

You would only need to keep your old wine bottles and provide a suitable container. If there were enough interested members a wine club might be a goer.Just a thought.

Thanks everyone for the info. I must apologise a paragraph dropped off my original post,my fault, I was saying that if enough people were interested in might be worth approaching the wineries on a bulk deal similar to "Cleanskin" sales in Aus.

You would only need to keep your old wine bottles and provide a suitable container. If there were enough interested members a wine club might be a goer.Just a thought.

:o Dont worry about it. I understand CR is a very small province, seems like we are a little off ground for many things compare with other places.

Am sure once you fully live in CR the more you will discover that we also have those things but on a small scale.

Wine club? Well if you really want one, you should start one up. Just my thought. :D

I´m not a wine drinker and dont currently live in CR, perhaps other CR members might be interested. Dont know about the quality of the local wines either.

Maybe someone can share the experience on this?

My wife and I are hoping to be living in the area shortly and was wondering where locals get local wine as opposed to the imported stuff. I have not seen, in my sporadic travels up north, any vineyards. I am an Australian and of course spoilt for good ,well priced,wine back in my country.On my last trip I was able to buy "Cleanskins" that is bulk wine pooled and bottled by the varous wine producers in plain label bottles for about 120 baht.Quite acceptable drop.

Have tried a few Thai wines ,purchased in Bangkok,ranging from quite reasonable to stuff that would be better suited to clearing blocked drains but nothing from the C RAI area. Exception is Saktong , a rather sweet fruity wine, which I bought for only 40 baht a bottle at an OTOP shop in Prae.Its not exactly wine as I know it but ok if you are desperate,which i usually am ! Any experiences anybody

Well, you can always stop at one of the roadside market stands on the road to Mae Sai north of Chiang Rai city. First you pass the pineapple district and then you enter the strawberry district...They sell local strawberry and fruit wines...Maybe not exactly what you're looking for :o ...If you not just only want to get drunk :D . (Excuse me for the silly answer.) Good wine is quite expensive in Thailand, imported whiskey and wine cost almost the same. I haven't heard of any high quality local wine but Thailand is an amazing country so you might get surprised...Good luck, best regards,

I have tried loads of locally produced wines from all of the above mentioned wineries. Both grape wines and wine made from other kinds of fruit. They all suck. Sorry, but they do. The wine produced in Thailand is so bad that not even a swedish alcoholic would consider having it anywhere near his park bench. Espcially those made from grapes.

If you like other fruits then consider mangosteen wine or graa chay. But then again, that is nothing you're going to want to have accompanying you at dinner.

I have tried loads of locally produced wines from all of the above mentioned wineries. Both grape wines and wine made from other kinds of fruit. They all suck. Sorry, but they do. The wine produced in Thailand is so bad that not even a swedish alcoholic would consider having it anywhere near his park bench. Espcially those made from grapes.

If you like other fruits then consider mangosteen wine or graa chay. But then again, that is nothing you're going to want to have accompanying you at dinner.

Must agree I too have tried nearly every wine I could find the latest being Mont Clair which I believe is a Hua Hin variety and that was not very enjoyable. Hearsay has it that a few Australian Wine producers have tried to get joint ventures going in Thailand without success. If the Thai Gov had the foresight to encourage local producers with tax breaks and incentives it would provide a great source of local employment but thats ,at this time,just another lost opportunity.

...the easiest and fairest way would be: LOWER YTHE IMPORT TAXES and EVERYONE would have easy access to reasonable priced and drinkable wines, what the fuzz?

In most larger European Cities one can find all Sorts of Thai Produce and Restaurants...

Must agree I too have tried nearly every wine I could find the latest being Mont Clair which I believe is a Hua Hin variety and that was not very enjoyable. Hearsay has it that a few Australian Wine producers have tried to get joint ventures going in Thailand without success. If the Thai Gov had the foresight to encourage local producers with tax breaks and incentives it would provide a great source of local employment but thats ,at this time,just another lost opportunity.

Actually the Mont Clair is imported from South Africa. A 5 litre box is 880 THB from my local wholesale liquor distributor in Chiang Mai- a 2 litre screwcap bottle of the same plonk is 400 THB. Not local wine, so I know this is off-topic. :o

It's ahhhh...drinkable, in the sense that with food, it is OK. Not as a standalone sipping wine, however. Here is a link to their site should anyone be interested in reading about them (Thai company). I have no personal interest in this business whatsoever.

The import taxes, and excise (internal) taxes for wine in Thailand are very high. This seems to benefit the "white spirit" producers- to the detriment of we farang who like a decent glass of wine, at a reasonable cost, to accompany a meal. Ah well...can't expect all to be perfect in our little slice of heaven, can we? :D

Actually the Mont Clair is imported from South Africa. A 5 litre box is 880 THB from my local wholesale liquor distributor in Chiang Mai- a 2 litre screwcap bottle of the same plonk is 400 THB. Not local wine, so I know this is off-topic. :o

It's ahhhh...drinkable, in the sense that with food, it is OK. Not as a standalone sipping wine, however. Here is a link to their site should anyone be interested in reading about them (Thai company). I have no personal interest in this business whatsoever.

The import taxes, and excise (internal) taxes for wine in Thailand are very high. This seems to benefit the "white spirit" producers- to the detriment of we farang who like a decent glass of wine, at a reasonable cost, to accompany a meal. Ah well...can't expect all to be perfect in our little slice of heaven, can we? :D

The Hua Hin info came from my question to the sales girl. "What region does this wine come from" as the label shows no indication, just some info in Thai which is possibly Alcohol content etc Maybe she meant that Hua Hin was the bottling plant ! I should have been more specific in my question. Maybe South Africa is dumping poor quality wine in Thailand

I was in Tachilek duty free on monday, plenty of wine there including flagons of Italian. I didn't buy any as I treated myself to a bottle of The MacAllan 12 year old single malt for an upcoming birthday which stretched the budget a little at a still very reasonable 1300B.

Edited by sceadugenga

• 4 weeks later...

I'm down in Chiang Mai and drink the Mont Clair boxes. It's not the world's greatest wine (by any stretch), but very quaffable, reliable, and reasonably priced - unlike most other wines that I can buy here! However, I pay 995B for a 5L Box from the well known chain of farang supermarkets that we have here. Where can I get it for 880B please?

I'm down in Chiang Mai and drink the Mont Clair boxes. It's not the world's greatest wine (by any stretch), but very quaffable, reliable, and reasonably priced - unlike most other wines that I can buy here! However, I pay 995B for a 5L Box from the well known chain of farang supermarkets that we have here. Where can I get it for 880B please?

At the intersection of Huay Kaew Rd and Irrigation Canal Road, on the north east corner side right before the intersection, is a major wholesaler business. Sorry I don't know the Thai name. It is about 10 meters from the police box for the intersection, and occupies the equivalent of 2 shophouses. Kitty corner to the Phucome Hotel, which is on the south west corner. Lots of big liquor brand signs on the outside; you can't miss it. I was there 2 days ago; they still have a huge stack of the boxes in the center of the (air conditioned) wine show room. Price is still 880 B for the 5 liter box of Mont Clair.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

At the intersection of Huay Kaew Rd and Irrigation Canal Road, on the north east corner side right before the intersection, is a major wholesaler business. Sorry I don't know the Thai name. It is about 10 meters from the police box for the intersection, and occupies the equivalent of 2 shophouses. Kitty corner to the Phucome Hotel, which is on the south west corner. Lots of big liquor brand signs on the outside; you can't miss it. I was there 2 days ago; they still have a huge stack of the boxes in the center of the (air conditioned) wine show room. Price is still 880 B for the 5 liter box of Mont Clair.

Hope this helps!

2000 ml bottles of Mont Clair white/red now selling in Tesco Bangkok for 480 baht so presume you can buy up country may save travelling for some folk

I paid that in Tachilek Duty Free last month for 3L of Carlo Rossi. A nice bottle with a glass handle that the Thais are eying off as a potential moonshine container.

Just looked at the label, I thought it was Italian with that name but it's all the way from sunny California.

Ha- Carlos Rossi is the plonk equivalent of Budweiser!

It's ridiculous how expensive bad California wine is here.

Try the Mont Clair, scea....you might be surprised.

2L for 400 B, 5L box for 880-950 here in CM...guess it's more expensive in BKK (see above post).

Don't buy the 75 cl bottles- they're a rip-off at 280.

In Tachilek. don`t go to the duty free shop on the left as you go over the bridge. Go down the stairs to the right 1 block, then turn left for about 2 blocks. there are 2 shops there that sell 4L boxes of Aussie Iwine, Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon. Excellent value at 420Bt per box. I`m no connisseur(spelling), but I like them both.

Cheers,

Chang35baht. :o

I did a search on them when I realised what I had and they appeared to have lifted their game considerably over the last few years.

This is understandable as the wine industry is that competitive these days that the bad stuff just doesn't sell.

It's quite drinkable compared to the Italian stuff I normally buy and more than suitable for cooking which is where a lot of it ends up.

Gonna do a local steak with mushrooms in red wine sauce tonight!!

I just had a look in my little black book, I remembered one that I made a note never to buy again... Villa Nella.

There is a wine here called JP you might look into. Stands for a name but I cannot recall (Jason Peters, or something like that...).

They are importing the juice from California and bottling here. That way they are circumventing the big taxes. Sorry, I have not tried it so cannot give you a review.

In Tachilek. don`t go to the duty free shop on the left as you go over the bridge. Go down the stairs to the right 1 block, then turn left for about 2 blocks. there are 2 shops there that sell 4L boxes of Aussie Iwine, Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon. Excellent value at 420Bt per box. I`m no connisseur(spelling), but I like them both.

Cheers,

Chang35baht. :o

I like that shop myself C35B but I still check out the specials in the other places. The one opposite immigration is always worth a look as they've had German beer at 30B a 500ml can in the past and also ABC stout.

I agree though, the shop you mention is very good.

Last time I went to Mae Sai, my visa still had 2 moths left, so I didn`t go over. My wife did. Defeats the point if I have to pay 500B. Only 40 baht for her. She brought me 2 boxes back. She couldn`t carry 10 boxes.

It`s funny, I never thought about looking for imported beers. SILLY ME!! I was concentrating on the wine. Will do next time though. How much beer are you allowed to bring back? As much as you can carry I hope.

Cheers all,

C35B.

Edited by chang35baht

The duty free laws are there for all to see, how ever I've never been stopped, queried or even had to run my bags through the scanning machine.

I suppose my best smuggling run would have been along the lines of all I could carry, especially when they had that good German beer there... I wonder how a shopping trolley would go? You could borrow one from Lotus and drop it off on the way out.