Rangers News!

Jockstar

Have to agree i dont believe he is good enough. He is a good player. But no better than what we have .IMHO.

Miller in talks with Rangers over Ibrox return

Updated: June 3, 2008, 4:44 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Kenny Miller's return to Rangers has moved closer with the news the Derby County striker is in talks with the Ibrox club.

Derby chairman Adam Pearson confirmed both clubs have had initial dialogue about a possible transfer.

'We've had early discussions with Rangers and talks are ongoing,' he told BBC Scotland. 'But there has been no asking price either set or met.'

However, PA Sport understands the transfer is further down the road than the Midlands club will publicly admit.

Derby will not stand in the way of the Scotland striker, who is trying to thrash out terms with the Govan club.

County expect the former Rangers striker, who also played for Celtic after moving from Ibrox to Wolves, to complete a controversial move back to Glasgow before the end of the week.

The prospect of Miller's possible return has split the Ibrox support.

The Scotland striker played for Rangers under Dick Advocaat in season 2000-01.

But he failed to pin down a regular first-team spot and, after a spell at Wolves, he signed for Celtic in 2006, where he again lasted only one season before moving to Derby.

In the closing weeks of the season, as the rumour about Miller returning to Ibrox picked up pace, Rangers fans voiced their displeasure about Miller in song, most vociferously during the Scottish Cup final win over Queen of the South at Hampden.

David Edgar, spokesman for the Rangers Supporters' Trust, told PA Sport recently Miller would be a 'deeply unpopular' signing but insisted the player's ability and not his time at Celtic was the sticking point among the majority of Ibrox supporters.

He said: 'Rangers fans in general would never tell any Rangers manager who to sign and certainly not Walter Smith.

'But the level of dissent shown by the supporters against a player who hasn't yet signed for us is unprecedented.

'I certainly haven't heard anything like it before.

'We were 2-0 up in a Scottish Cup final and the Rangers fans were singing against Miller - that is an indication of how strongly the fans feel about it.

'He is a deeply unpopular player and it is clear that the fans don't want him and I would say it is the vast majority rather than a minority who feel this way.

' It has nothing to do with him being an ex-Celtic player, they don't like him because he is not good enough.'

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derby's Miller set to return to Rangers

Updated: June 5, 2008, 11:02 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Derby chairman Adam Pearson expects Kenny Miller to seal his return to Rangers next week.

The clubs have agreed a fee thought to be close to £2million for the Scotland striker.

Pearson told the Daily Express: 'The two clubs have agreed a deal and we are reasonably happy with the package, so it is now down to Kenny to sort things out with Rangers.

'I don't envisage any problems because Kenny is keen to go to Rangers and Rangers are keen to sign him.

'We have had one firm offer and three serious enquiries about signing him but Kenny told us he wasn't interested because he wants to go to Rangers.'

The former Celtic player's return is unpopular with large sections of the Rangers support.

But the 28-year-old excelled under Rangers boss Walter Smith when the pair worked together with the national team.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot off the press 2008-9 fixtures list.

Ref url http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/default.stm

I note that there are 2 away fixtures at Celtic according to the list

30-08-2008 and 14-02-2009 ???

I couldn,t see a second home fixture on the list ???

I also double checked the Celtic f. list but same same.

Can someone possibly explain, before i pass on the Rangers fixture list to a mate of mine, who a life long supporter as i always like to give him details in full, especially on this sort of thing.

He,s sure to want to know why.

Thanks.

Have a great season and please go one better for my mate who is still unconsolable about coming second to ????????

Nothing else matters to him, even the possible reasons why, work load wise and all that it entails, injuries, mental and physical situations ect. ect. are not acceptable to him.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

According to the Rangers web site there are only 3 Old Firm fixtures confirmed prior to the league splitting in April next year. After the split, the fixtures of the top teams in the league are then scheduled and hence the 4th Old Firm game.

According to the Rangers web site there are only 3 Old Firm fixtures confirmed prior to the league splitting in April next year. After the split, the fixtures of the top teams in the league are then scheduled and hence the 4th Old Firm game.

Thanks for the information SS and i will pass on the reason why.

I,ll visit the website later to update on any new info i can pass on to him.

marshbags :o

BBC SPORT 19-06-2008 @ 20.42 U.K. time

Ref url:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/7451140.stm

Lafferty completes Rangers move

Lafferty has been a Rangers supporter since his boyhood

Northern Ireland striker Kyle Lafferty has agreed a five-year contract with Rangers after making the switch from Burnley for a fee in excess of £3m.

Rangers had offered Alan Gow as part of the deal and the midfielder remains in talks with the Turf Moor club.

However, Lafferty's move to Glasgow is not contingent on Gow's decision.

"The move has been a long time in coming and I'm thrilled to be at the club at last," Lafferty, 20, told the Rangers website.

Ibrox manager Walter Smith has already bolstered his attacking options after signing Kenny Miller and Andrius Velicka.

Now Smith has captured the 6ft, 4in forward, who can also operate on either flank.

"When I heard Rangers were looking at me, I really wanted to join them," added Lafferty.

"But there was a point when I thought they had lost interest.

"Hopefully, I can now show the fans what I can do on the pitch. All of my mates and family are big Rangers fans so they are pleased I'm at the club now."

Burnley are set to receive a further £250,000 when Lafferty makes a certain number of appearances for Rangers and a sell-on clause that includes a 10% cut of any future profit.

Last week Burnley boss Owen Coyle said Lafferty had made it clear he wanted to leave Turf Moor.

"Ultimately, from the fans' point of view, Kyle wanted to leave the club after saying he felt it was time to move on."

MY SPORT: DEBATE

What do Rangers fans think of the Lafferty deal?

Celtic had a bid for £2.75m plus Derek Riordan turned down by Burnley and Wolves were also interested in the Northern Ireland international.

Lafferty scored 10 goals in 56 appearances for Burnley and has won 16 caps for his country, notching five goals.

Gow, 25, has struggled to establish himself at Ibrox since moving from Falkirk last summer, managing just two comptetitive appearances.

Burnley have given Gow until next Thursday to make up his mind.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

It's encouraging to hear that he turned down the opportunity to join the "other lot" and preferred to come to Ibrox.

Unlike Mercenary Miller.

I would like to see Rangers signing a new YOUNG centre half as surely Davie Weir can't keep playing forever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rangers have announced the £2.5million signing of Algeria defender Madjid Bougherra from Charlton.

Click here

The 25-year-old completed a medical at Murray Park before signing a four-year deal with the Ibrox side tonight.

The French-born player can play in the middle of a back four or as a defensive midfielder.

He was signed by Charlton three days before the end of the January transfer window in 2007.

Bougherra moved to The Valley from Sheffield Wednesday in a £2.5million deal.

Wednesday had paid Crewe £300,000 for his services in 2006.

Not another Boumsong I hope!!!!!!!!!

Edited by SweatySock

Rangers have announced the £2.5million signing of Algeria defender Madjid Bougherra from Charlton.

Click here

The 25-year-old completed a medical at Murray Park before signing a four-year deal with the Ibrox side tonight.

The French-born player can play in the middle of a back four or as a defensive midfielder.

He was signed by Charlton three days before the end of the January transfer window in 2007.

Bougherra moved to The Valley from Sheffield Wednesday in a £2.5million deal.

Wednesday had paid Crewe £300,000 for his services in 2006.

Not another Boumsong I hope!!!!!!!!!

From a Charlton blogger (New York Addick) which fairly sums him up from what others have said;

The big Charlton summer sale continued last night when Madjid Bougherra's move to Glasgow Rangers was confirmed.

Seemingly given the choice to live in Seville, Birmingham or Glasgow, he has opted for Scotland's largest city. It must have been their famed Mediterranean-esque climate.

His likely sale has been rumoured for some time, and whilst he did not exactly fulfil his potential at Charlton, I'm still sad to see him go since I've a weakness for stylish defenders.

His career started badly after joining the Addicks in Jan 2007, firstly when a calf strain ruled him out of some early games, and then when he sustained a knee injury during his debut at Manchester United. As a result, he started just two games during the second half of our relegation season, and much of Pardew's raison d'etre for the purchase had presumably gone away.

Last season he was more influential, starting 24 times in the Championship, most coinciding with our more promising form before Xmas. Unfortunately he missed two months of the season during February and March, and then by the time he returned our season, and now clearly his Charlton career, had fallen by the wayside.

It is fair to say we never really got to see those famed runs out of defence, that Sheffield Wednesday fans loved him for. Given he was also occasionally responsible for our annoyingly regular defensive mishaps, he never remotely looked like a £2.5million player for us.

Frustratingly he had all the attributes required to eventually become a fan's cult hero, but alas it wasn't to be. Hence whilst our squad is now scarily thin (see below), the club ought to be congratulated for retaining his transfer value during the 18 months he was a Charlton player.

Edited by HarryHacker

Rangers manager Walter Smith has told his players they must not approach Tuesday night's make-or-break Champions League qualifier against FBK Kaunas with fear.

The Ibrox side had been favourites to come through the tie and book a place in the third qualifying round, which is likely to be against Danish outfit Aalborg.

But a goalless draw in the home leg means Rangers' hopes hang in the balance and they face a real risk of crashing out of Europe completely unless they can salvage the tie in Tuesday night's return match in Lithuania.

'You have to face that aspect of it,' said Smith.

'In the next round it's different because you can say you've got the UEFA Cup but that doesn't make it any better if you don't get there.

'It's like everything else - you've just got to win your games and make sure you do enough to get through.

'We didn't do enough in the first leg - we weren't bright enough and we've got to be in the second leg. We know what we have to do and I don't think you can approach the game with any great fear.

'We can approach it with confidence because if we play well enough we know we can go through.

'It gets to you just after the season finishes when you realise you're going to have to face the qualifiers before you're really up and running and that's the worst part of it, but it happens and you've just got to get on with it and you have to be ready for it.'

Smith insists everyone in the dressing room is well aware of what is at stake - but not necessarily because of their epic European run last season, which saw them begin with Champions League qualifiers and end with an appearance in the UEFA Cup final.

He said: 'Our players have had a realisation of what they have had to do in games, but as I keep saying to you, last season's part of it doesn't count.

'The knowledge that they gained and the confidence they gained from playing last year can have an effect, plus if we start to play at the same level as we did last year.

'We'll have to do that to get through this game. We'll have to play at a really good level to get through and that's up to us to ensure we do that.

'I don't know whether that's as good as Kaunas can play. I just know that we can play better than we did in that game and that's what we'll have to do - concentrate on our own performance and that's what we'll do.'

Smith masterminded Scotland's 2-1 win over Lithuania at the same venue in 2006, with current Rangers players Christian Dailly and Kenny Miller both on the scoresheet.

But he insists past triumphs are irrelevant to the task at hand.

Smith said: 'Never mind what's happened before - it is an awkward place to come and play. They're in their season, we're not.

'All of that is there. We've got to overcome any problems we're having at the present moment if we're going to go through.'

Rangers were a 'disgrace' in tonight's Champions League qualifying defeat to FBK Kaunas, according to fans' spokesman Jim Templeton.

Click here

The Ibrox side suffered a shock 2-1 defeat in Lithuania which ended last season's UEFA Cup finalists' European aspirations before the Clydesdale Bank Premier League season has started.

Templeton, president of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, told PA Sport that Rangers owner Sir David Murray, boss Walter Smith and chief executive Martin Bain will be brought to book at a pre-arranged question-and-answer session at the club's training complex Murray Park on Friday.

He said: 'You could call it a disaster but you could also say that the second-half display was a disgrace.

'They looked clueless against what was hardly a world-class team.

'The loss of money from going out of Europe is one thing but fans want to see what is on the park and the evidence of what we seen tonight, there wasn't much.

'And if you are honest, there were signs of that at the end of the season.

'There is another couple of weeks before the transfer window closes and if ever there was evidence that we needed something, especially in the middle of the park, then tonight was it.

'There is a gaping hole there and it needs filled.

'Our AGM is this week and there will be fans coming from all over the world.

'There will be a question and answer session at Murray Park on Friday morning with Sir David Murray, Walter and Martin Bain.

'That should be interesting.'

Templeton insists Smith will survive the inevitable calls for his head.

He said: 'It's a bit early for that.

'You have to consider what he achieved last season when we were going for the quadruple.

'There is no need to tell him what a disaster this is, he went through similar during his first time at Ibrox.

'We are just looking for signs of progression but there hasn't been any.'

David Edgar, spokesman for the Rangers Supporters Trust, asked for leadership from the top at Ibrox in the wake of what he called 'a disaster of a result'.

Defeat came less than three months after Smith's side reached the UEFA Cup final in Manchester.

Edgar said: 'Let's not sugar-coat it, this was a disaster of a result.

'The fans are more upset than I can remember.

'The feel-good factor from Manchester has totally and utterly gone.

'It's hard to see where we go from here and it's down to the people in charge to show us.

'The fear is that players will be sold to balance the books and the fans simply will not stand for it.

'We are totally gutted.'

One of our shortest European efforts following one of the longest, who said football was predictable!!!

Not impressed!!

:D:D:o:D

Must be depressing.

not a good start to your season by any means. Seems that they continued where they finished last season :D

But I reckon it will still be between you and the other lot for the title :(

Not impressed!!

:D:D:o:D

Must be depressing.

not a good start to your season by any means. Seems that they continued where they finished last season :D

But I reckon it will still be between you and the other lot for the title :(

Ropey win for gers today away to Falkirk 0-1. Still 3 points nonetheless. Falkirk miss a penalty

Ropey win for gers today away to Falkirk 0-1. Still 3 points nonetheless. Falkirk miss a penalty

As a Falkirk supporter, I was pleased with our performance but disappointed with the result. I just got the feeling that once the penalty was missed that Rangers would go on to win. I suppose for Rangers they be happy with the result but not the performance.

Anyway, it was a shit penalty. I'm sure that Jockstar, even after an all day drinking session could have saved that pen. :o

As a Falkirk supporter, I was pleased with our performance but disappointed with the result. I just got the feeling that once the penalty was missed that Rangers would go on to win. I suppose for Rangers they be happy with the result but not the performance.

Anyway, it was a shit penalty. I'm sure that Jockstar, even after an all day drinking session could have saved that pen. :o

watched the game this afternoon, there was only one team playing football, thats was the team with the best player on the park, a 40 years old man.

smith needs to get his tactics right, rangers were woeful, no rhythm or direction, no pattern to their play, rudderless.

still dont have a right back, but blows transfer money on rejects, doesnt bode well.

Rangers chairman Sir David Murray has vowed to give every penny from the sale of Carlos Cuellar to manager Walter Smith for new players.

Cuellar completed a £7.8million move to Aston Villa last night after activating a clause in his contract, a move which has infuriated fans.

Supporters were assured at a meeting with Murray, Smith and chief executive Martin Bain on Friday that the Spanish defender did not have to be sold to compensate for the club's exit from Europe.

Murray is now hoping to soften the blow by sanctioning the release of funds to allow Smith to strengthen his squad before the transfer deadline.

Cardiff centre-half Glenn Loovens is believed to be top of the wanted list, although reports this morning claim Celtic have also launched a bid to sign the Dutchman.

Rangers could also resurrect their interest in Fulham midfielder Steven Davis, who enjoyed a successful loan spell at Ibrox last season.

Murray told the Scottish Daily Express: 'Reports I told the Rangers Supporters Assembly at a private meeting last Friday that all monies from sales would be returned to the manager are accurate. That's what will happen.'

Let's hope we get Davis permanently, he looked good last season and after watching the Falkirk game we need a "presence" in midfield.

Rangers have confirmed the signing of Portsmouth midfielder Pedro Mendes on a three-year deal.

The 29-year-old Portuguese player joins for a fee in the region of £3million and will go straight into the squad for Satruday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League home game with Hearts.

Mendes is the second signing Rangers have made in the last 48 hours following the capture of Spanish youngster Aaron Niguez Esclapez on a two-year loan deal. Mendes, who won the Champions League with Porto in 2004 and the FA Cup with Portsmouth last season, was delighted with the move.

He said: 'It's such a great club and there is the chance to fight for the championship and win cups here.

'When you join a club like Rangers, you can't expect anything but to win things.'

The midfielder immediately threw down the gauntlet to Celtic, vowing to end their three-year reign as SPL champions.

He said: 'It's time for that to change. Everyone here wants to be champions again and to bring happiness to the fans.'

The former Tottenham player also feels his new club will benefit from his four-year experience of the British game.

'That will help,' he said. 'I know the game in England and the UK already so I'm already used to the British game.'

Rangers will be hoping the capture of Mendes helps appease fans who were furious with the sale of star defender Carlos Cuellar to Aston Villa this week.

The club promised the £7.8million made from the deal would be invested in reinforcements.

Manager Walter Smith appears to have lost out to Celtic in the race to sign Cardiff defender Glenn Loovens so will almost certainly now look elsewhere.

Speaking shortly before Mendes completed his move, Smith was enthusiastic about the prospect of working with the player.

'He is a really good all-round midfield player and he will help us a lot,' Smith said.

'He's very good technically and I hope he will come and improve us.

'He can get a goal or two as well, so if all goes well, he will be a good acquisition for us.'

Good signing or not????????????

Rangers 2-0 HeartsScoring Summary

Rangers Hearts

Kyle Lafferty (37)

Kris Boyd (pen 90)

Match Stats

Rangers Hearts

Shots (on Goal) 13(7) 7(5)

Fouls 12 13

Corner Kicks 1 4

Offsides 3 1

Time of Possession 54% 46%

Yellow Cards 1 2

Red Cards 0 1

Saves 4 5

Match Information

Stadium: Ibrox Stadium, Scotland

Attendance: 48,191

Match Time: 15:00 UK

Referee(s):

S Dougal (Referee)

Teams

Rangers Hearts

1 Allan McGregor 30 Jamie MacDonald

21 Kirk Broadfoot 20 Jason Thomson

3 David Weir 26 Marius Zaliukas

5 Sasa Papac 4 Christophe Berra

24 Madjid Bougherra 3 Lee Wallace

12 Lee McCulloch 5 Christos Karipidis

8 Kevin Thomson 10 Laryea Kingston

4 Miguel Pedro Mendes 23 Michael Stewart

27 Kyle Lafferty 11 Andrew Driver

37 Andrius Velicka 29 Audrius Ksanavicius

9 Kris Boyd 19 Jamie Mole

Substitutes

25 Neil Alexander Marian Kello 25

23 Christian Dailly Ruben Palazuelos 6

20 DaMarcus Beasley Deividas Cesnauskis 18

36 Dean Furman Eggert Jonsson 24

18 Kenny Miller Saulius Mikoliunas 7

19 Jean Claude Darcheville Christian Nade 14

43 John Fleck Juho Makela 15

Substitutions

Kenny Miller for Lee McCulloch (60) Christian Nade for Audrius Ksanavicius (50)

DaMarcus Beasley for Kyle Lafferty (62) Saulius Mikoliunas for Laryea Kingston (65)

Jean Claude Darcheville for Andrius Velicka (82) Deividas Cesnauskis for Jamie Mole (75)

Yellow Cards

Kevin Thomson (21) Laryea Kingston (17)

Saulius Mikoliunas (69)

Red Cards

Saulius Mikoliunas (74)

· Club Squads: Rangers | Hearts

Updated: August 16, 2008, 5:49 PM UK

Kyle Lafferty claimed his first competitive goal for Rangers to help secure a 2-0 home win against Hearts in their Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash.

There was also a first strike of the season for Kris Boyd, who converted from the penalty spot in the final minute of the game.

It proved to be a day to forget for Hearts, who were sent back to Edinburgh empty-handed, with Saulius Mikoliunas' late red card doing little to aid their cause.

It had been another difficult week for Rangers. The build-up to the SPL opener at Falkirk had been over-shadowed by the defeat in Kaunas - this time it was the departure of star player Carlos Cuellar to Aston Villa that dominated the headlines.

Fans' websites had been buzzing for days with talk of a protest ahead of this game, but the 2,000 or so supporters who gathered outside the main entrance of Ibrox at 2pm appeared more curious than furious.

In fact, the crowd became an impromptu welcome committee, bursting into rapturous applause at the arrival of American midfielder Maurice Edu, who was in Glasgow to thrash out personal terms on a £2.5million move from FC Toronto.

There was also a debut for Pedro Mendes just 24 hours after his arrival from Portsmouth, while reports suggested Steven Davis was finally on his way to Rangers following summer-long negotiations with Fulham.

By the time kick-off arrived, there really did not seem to be much reason for complaint and the only clue to any continuing dissent was one banner in the Broomloan stand which declared: `We deserve better.'

Mendes made his bow from the start alongside David Weir, who was back from suspension to reclaim the captain's armband. Steven Whittaker and Christian Dailly were the players sacrificed.

Hearts made one change from their win over Motherwell. Jamie McDonald replaced Steve Banks in goal, with new keeper Marian Kello named on the bench.

Rangers carved out a decent opportunity early on when Lafferty pounced on a Kevin Thomson ball and cut inside before rifling narrowly past McDonald's right-hand post.

At the other end, Lee McCulloch conceded a foul just outside the box, allowing Hearts to pile on the pressure. Laryea Kingston stepped up for the set-piece but blasted well over the crossbar.

Lafferty looked dangerous and his flick-on allowed Boyd a crack at goal which was held by McDonald, before he had a go himself with a shot that had too much height on it.

Kingston picked up the first booking of the game with 17 minutes gone for a cynical challenge on Thomson and was quickly followed into the referee's book by Thomson, who was cautioned for dissent as the match grew more heated.

Rangers surged into the lead with 37 minutes gone. A Madjid Bougherra cross was missed by McCulloch but fell to the feet of Lafferty, who produced a fine finish to leave the ball nestling in the bottom corner of the net.

The home side could have doubled their lead when they won a free-kick 30 yards out. Thomson rolled the ball to Sasa Papac, but he blasted well over from distance, with the impressive Mendes probably a better option.

Hearts sent out a clear message they would be no push-overs after the break, with Andrew Driver drawing a decent block from Allan McGregor within seconds of the restart, before the Rangers keeper was called into action to smother the ferocious rebound from Jamie Mole.

Both sides then made changes. Andrius Ksanavicius made way for the introduction of Christian Nade, before McCulloch was swapped for Kenny Miller.

The next substitution was an enforced one. Lafferty had suffered a couple of knocks and was finally replaced by DaMarcus Beasley, allowing the American to make his first appearance of the season after injury.

Once play resumed, Rangers should have been further ahead. McDonald inadvertently swiped a dangerous Mendes cross into the path of Boyd, whose powerful drive from inside the box was just inches off target.

Hearts' hopes of a comeback were dealt a severe blow when substitute Saulius Mikoliunas was sent off after just eight minutes on the park. He was cautioned for diving before earning a second yellow for a foul on Miller.

Rangers made full use of the extra space and an impressive passing spell culminated in a Jean-Claude Darcheville drive whistling across goal and wide of the upright, after Mendes had seen an effort of his own blocked.

Hearts fans screamed for a penalty when a Driver shot cannoned off Bougherra, but those pleas were ignored by referee Stuart Dougal, who pointed to the spot at the other end instead in the final minute.

Miller was felled by Lee Wallace in the box and Boyd stepped up to rifle low into the net from 12 yards to seal the win.

Rangers on verge of deal for USA star Edu

Updated: August 16, 2008, 2:03 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Rangers were today poised to complete the £2.7million signing of USA international Maurice Edu.

The club confirmed the 22-year-old Toronto midfielder was flying into Glasgow to discuss personal terms with the Clydesdale Bank Premier League giants.

Edu, who recently returned from representing his country at the Beijing Olympics, will also watch Rangers' opening SPL home game of the season against Hearts this afternoon.

Edu, a former Major League Soccer Rookie of the Year, would be Rangers' third midfield signing this week following the arrivals of Pedro Mendes and Aaron Niguez Esclapez.

However, his country fielded him in central defence in China, meaning he may yet emerge as an option to replace Carlos Cuellar, whose controversial £7.8million departure has provided manager Walter Smith with money to spend.

Smith confirmed his pursuit of Edu, who is managed by former Rangers star Maurice Johnston at Toronto FC, yesterday, saying: 'We are interested in the American boy and we are trying to get him.

'But that depends on a work permit, so it will be a few days before we know about that.

'We had asked Maurice (Johnston) if he thought there were any players in the American league whom he thought would do well, and he recommended two or three players.

'The clubs don't own the players over there so the MLS are happy to let him go. We are in the final stages of tying everything up, but we still have to apply for the work permit.

'He is only 22 and has played the last number of internationals, so I'd hope we will get him all right. And he's played in the Olympics.'

Meanwhile, young striker Steven Lennon has joined Partick Thistle on loan until January 26.

The 20-year-old is poised to make his debut in tomorrow's Irn-Bru First Division clash with Queen of the South.

Rangers agree to sign U.S. international Edu

Updated: August 18, 2008, 8:00 AM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Rangers have signed USA international Maurice Edu in a £2.6million deal subject to a work permit.

The midfielder, 22, watched Saturday's 2-0 Clydesdale Bank Premier League win over Hearts at Ibrox, before agreeing personal terms.

He has now committed himself to a five-year contract after a deal was struck with Major League Soccer and Rangers are hopeful the transfer can be concluded with a successful application for a work permit.

Edu has six full international caps after coming through the youth ranks. He has now returned to his homeland to prepare for a World Cup qualifier in Guatemala, along with new club-mate DaMarcus Beasley.

The talented youngster came highly recommended by former Celtic and Rangers star Maurice Johnston, who was head coach of Edu's former club, FC Toronto, before assuming the joint role of manager and director of football.

The capture comes hot on the heels of Pedro Mendes' £3million transfer from Portsmouth, with Steven Davis also set to join in a permanent move tomorrow.

Davis - in Scotland for Northern Ireland's friendly at Hampden on Wednesday - impressed while on loan at Ibrox in the latter part of last season.

Manager Walter Smith revealed yesterday that a fee had finally been agreed with Fulham following weeks of wrangling between the two clubs and that he was hopeful the midfielder would be his next signing.

According to the club's official website, www.rangers.co.uk: 'Steven Davis is also set to become a Rangers player tomorrow.

'A fee has been agreed with Fulham for the midfielder, who was on loan at Ibrox last season and a deal has been agreed with the player in principle.

'Davis has one or two things to tie up with Fulham but all things being equal he will be a Rangers player tomorrow.'

· Club Fixtures: Aberdeen | Rangers

Updated: August 22, 2008, 4:44 PM UK

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood will be without Zander Diamond for the home clash with Rangers.

Last week's goal hero Charlie Mulgrew is another massive doubt while Scott Severin and Tommy Wright will also face late fitness tests.

Young winger Peter Pawlett is out with a broken wrist.

Steven Davis is in the Rangers squad after completing a permanent move from Fulham.

Nacho Novo is available following suspension but Kyle Lafferty is set to remain on the sidelines with a hamstring injury.

Lee McCulloch should be available despite a slight knee injury after coming through training without any problems.

Davis is desperate to make his second Rangers debut and exorcise the ghosts of Pittodrie.

The midfielder, who ended a summer-long saga when he finally completed the formalities of his move from Fulham, is still haunted by his last Clydesdale Bank Premier League game.

Rangers return to the stadium where their SPL title bid was extinguished on the final day of last season.

Aberdeen inflicted a 2-0 defeat on Walter Smith's men, with Celtic clinching a hat-trick of championships as their rivals ran out of steam trying to complete an incredible quadruple.

Davis, 23, was part of the side that day, his penultimate match of a four-month loan spell.

He told Rangers World: "That was a big disappointment. We had a lot of games towards the end of the season - that probably took its toll.

"It was still a major disappointment in the position we found ourselves in to lose it in the end.''

The Northern Ireland international, who has signed a four-year deal after Fulham accepted a fee in the region of £3million, is determined to help his new club taste SPL glory this term. He said: "In the short term, we'll have to concentrate on the league - that's the big one this year.

"We'll be fully focused on getting the title back.''

Davis is thrilled to be back at Ibrox on a permanent basis following months of uncertainty over his future.

"I'm delighted. It's been ongoing all summer and it's great to get it finally done and dusted,'' he said.

"It's been on and off all summer and I've been hearing bits and pieces throughout that time.

"It's good finally to get everything signed and be able to concentrate on the football. "You don't know what's going to happen and it took its toll.''

He added: "I thoroughly enjoyed my time here. It's a great club and I'm just glad to be a part of it again. "I look forward to playing for the club for the next four years.''

Davis is almost certain to be in the squad to play Aberdeen but his new boss must decide whether to start with him.

Smith has now made four midfield signings in little over a week, a situation opposite number Jimmy Calderwood can only look upon with envy.

The Dons boss has some significant injury worries as he assessed his injury doubts.

He said: "The four of them would be a huge loss. They are massive players for us and we will have to wait and see how they are on Friday before knowing if they will make it or not.''

• 2 weeks later...
Rangers on verge of deal for USA star Edu

Updated: August 16, 2008, 2:03 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Rangers were today poised to complete the £2.7million signing of USA international Maurice Edu.

The club confirmed the 22-year-old Toronto midfielder was flying into Glasgow to discuss personal terms with the Clydesdale Bank Premier League giants.

Edu, who recently returned from representing his country at the Beijing Olympics, will also watch Rangers' opening SPL home game of the season against Hearts this afternoon.

Edu, a former Major League Soccer Rookie of the Year, would be Rangers' third midfield signing this week following the arrivals of Pedro Mendes and Aaron Niguez Esclapez.

However, his country fielded him in central defence in China, meaning he may yet emerge as an option to replace Carlos Cuellar, whose controversial £7.8million departure has provided manager Walter Smith with money to spend.

Smith confirmed his pursuit of Edu, who is managed by former Rangers star Maurice Johnston at Toronto FC, yesterday, saying: 'We are interested in the American boy and we are trying to get him.

'But that depends on a work permit, so it will be a few days before we know about that.

'We had asked Maurice (Johnston) if he thought there were any players in the American league whom he thought would do well, and he recommended two or three players.

'The clubs don't own the players over there so the MLS are happy to let him go. We are in the final stages of tying everything up, but we still have to apply for the work permit.

'He is only 22 and has played the last number of internationals, so I'd hope we will get him all right. And he's played in the Olympics.'

Meanwhile, young striker Steven Lennon has joined Partick Thistle on loan until January 26.

The 20-year-old is poised to make his debut in tomorrow's Irn-Bru First Division clash with Queen of the South.

great win today 4-2 tide has turned!

Celtic 2-4 RangersScoring Summary

Celtic Rangers

Georgios Samaras (39) Daniel Cousin (37)

Shunsuke Nakamura (90) Kenny Miller (52)

Miguel Pedro Mendes (62)

Kenny Miller (79)

Match Stats

Celtic Rangers

Shots (on Goal) 11(6) 12(7)

Fouls 12 18

Corner Kicks 7 8

Offsides 2 1

Time of Possession 50% 50%

Yellow Cards 2 5

Red Cards 1 1

Saves 1 4

Match Information

Stadium: Celtic Park, Scotland

Attendance: 58,595

Match Time: 12:30 UK

Teams

Celtic Rangers

1 Artur Boruc 1 Allan McGregor

2 Andreas Hinkel 21 Kirk Broadfoot

5 Gary Caldwell 3 David Weir

4 Stephen McManus 5 Sasa Papac

12 Mark Wilson 24 Madjid Bougherra

25 Shunsuke Nakamura 35 Steven Davis

11 Paul Hartley 4 Miguel Pedro Mendes

8 Scott Brown 8 Kevin Thomson

46 Aiden McGeady 11 Charlie Adam

13 Shaun Maloney 29 Daniel Cousin

9 Georgios Samaras 18 Kenny Miller

Substitutes

21 Mark Brown Neil Alexander 25

22 Glenn Loovens Christian Dailly 23

48 Darren O'Dea Jordan McMillan 47

17 Marc Luque Crosas Maurice Edu 2

19 Barry Robson Niguez Aaron 31

10 Jan Vennegoor Nacho Novo 10

23 Ben Hutchinson Kyle Lafferty 27

Substitutions

Jan Vennegoor for Georgios Samaras (72) Nacho Novo for Charlie Adam (78)

Barry Robson for Paul Hartley (72)

Ben Hutchinson for Mark Wilson (84)

Yellow Cards

Stephen McManus (15) Kevin Thomson (9)

Georgios Samaras (64) Daniel Cousin (57)

Charlie Adam (69)

Allan McGregor (74)

Kirk Broadfoot (77)

Red Cards

Jan Vennegoor (76) Daniel Cousin (75)

· Club Squads: Celtic | Rangers

Updated: August 31, 2008, 3:02 PM UK

Rangers striker Kenny Miller returned to haunt Celtic with a double strike against his former club in an incident packed game which saw two red cards as Walter Smith's side ran out 4-2 victors.

Daniel Cousin put the visitors ahead with a fine solo strike before Georgios Samaras had pounced to make it 1-1 at the interval.

But former Parkhead player Miller, whose first goal as a Celtic striker had been against Rangers, scored either side of a wonderful Pedro Mendes strike to take the visitors into a commanding lead.

The drama was far from over as both sides ended up with 10 men after Cousin and Hoops' substitute Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, on minutes earlier for Samaras, were sent off.

Celtic midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura fired in an injury-time consolation for the home side but there was no doubt that the visitors - and Miller, who has spent all his time trying to win over the Light Blues fans - had the last laugh.

Mendes and defender Madjid Bougherra made their Old Firm debuts, with Miller starting up front alongside Cousin as the visitors pressed in the opening minutes.

Cousin sparked the game into life in the 36th minute when, with no real sign of a breakthrough, he put the visitors ahead with a fine solo goal.

Mendes sent a looping ball up the right-hand side and the Rangers striker raced past Hoops left-back Mark Wilson with some ease, drove into the box and drilled an angled shot inside Artur Boruc and the post.

But two minutes later Celtic were level when Aiden McGeady's cross into the six-yard box was missed by David Weir and came off the hapless Sasa Papac straight to the feet of Samaras, who gleefully knocked it past Allan McGregor.

Up until then there had been little between the two sides.

It was the champions who came closest first when skipper Stephen McManus headed a Nakamura free-kick just wide of the far post in the seventh minute.

As the game became increasingly tetchy, Rangers midfielder Kevin Thomson picked up a booking a minute later for a reckless and needless foul on Nakamura before McManus was also shown a yellow for throwing the ball at a referee's assistant following an unfavourable decision.

Samaras had a near-post header easily saved by McGregor before McGeady came closer when he sent a shot from distance just past the post.

On the half-hour mark, as the Light Blues took a turn of attacking, Cousin lashed a Steven Davis corner well over the bar.

But two minutes later, Rangers veteran defender Weir almost put Andreas Hinkel's cross into his own net, the ball flashing off the shoulder of McGregor before the Ibrox keeper collected.

The two goals took the sides into the interval level but the high tempo continued after the break with both sides quickly back into battle mode.

In the 51st minute, Rangers forged ahead for the second time through Miller.

After Cousin had been foiled at the edge of the box, the ball fell to Thomson who curled it to the far side of the box to Miller whose volley from 14 yards bounced once before zipping past Boruc at the far post.

Pandemonium ensued as Miller and most of the Rangers players headed for the corner to celebrate with the Light Blues' fans.

Then, in the 61st minute, there was more drama when Rangers went further ahead with an incredible strike from Mendes.

The Portugal international, unmarked 30 yards from goal, lined up a Steven Davis corner and unleashed a first time shot which sped past everyone in the packed penalty area to beat Boruc.

The champions looked stunned and boss Gordon Strachan brought on Vennegoor of Hesselink and Barry Robson for Samaras and Paul Hartley.

In the 75th minute, Cousin, booked earlier for persistent fouling, was shown another yellow then a red after clashing with McManus in an aerial battle. Then Vennegoor of Hesselink was shown a straight red for an apparent kick at Kirk Broadfoot.

The excitement was not finished as Boruc fumbled a Broadfoot cross allowing Miller the easiest of chances to prod the ball into the empty net for number four.

Wilson drew a fine save from McGregor with a drive from 25 yards before being replaced by Ben Hutchinson but by then the points and plaudits were destined for Ibrox.

In the first minute of injury time Nakamura was fouled at the edge of the box by Weir and the Japan international fired in a consolation from the free-kick.