Govt Urged To Improve Sex Education In Classroom

george

Govt urged to improve sex education in classroom

BANGKOK: -- Education scholars, social workers, teachers and youths have urged the government to improve sex education in the country’s schools.

The participants, in a seminar on how to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS among Thai teenagers, suggested that sex education should be integrated into other academic subjects, including Thai literature.

Teaching about sex should not be limited to hygienic studies in the classrooms, as it is at present, an education expert, Sirikorn Maneerin, told the seminar.

The issues that should be included in sex education for children are HIV virus infection, teen pregnancy, equal rights between men and women and the

respect for a woman’s right to decline sexual intercourse, she said.

More than 1,000 participants have been brainstorming on how to teach Thais school children about sex, at a three-day seminar which started in Bangkok on Monday.

-- TNA 2004-10-25

More than 1,000 participants have been brainstorming on how to teach Thais school children about sex, at a three-day seminar which started in Bangkok on Monday.

How about their parents fullfilling their repsonsibility. The governement should stay out of sex education, control or anything else to do with it.

How about their parents fullfilling their repsonsibility. The governement should stay out of sex education, control or anything else to do with it.

On the surface, this sentiment seems agreeable, except that most societies do not advance without public education. The basics of sex education are an institutional concern when it comes to disease prevention, unwanted pregnancies, rape awareness, and the evolution of social norms.

Think about it: How would a society progress if the only teaching that we received on current social norms came from our parents?

I think there is nothing wrong if schools do participate in the sexual education of children/youth as it is done in many countries in Europe.

Nevertheless it should be a cooperation between home and educators. But as we all know, in many cases the parents do fail on this issue.

On the surface, this sentiment seems agreeable, except that most societies do not advance without public education. The basics of sex education are an institutional concern when it comes to disease prevention, unwanted pregnancies, rape awareness, and the evolution of social norms.

Think about it: How would a society progress if the only teaching that we received on current social norms came from our parents?

Parent's don't know everything and some are shy to talk about it, better to get it from a professional. My Dad told me if your gonna have sex and it's not your wife (this was before I was married) Use a condom!!!!! :o

Given the "losing face" dangers of speaking truthfully about sex in a public school classroom in Thailand, I wouldn't expect Thai teachers to do any better than parents in this regard- would mostly be "stay faithful to Thai values, don't have sex before you're married," blah, blah, blah. They HAVE to do it- nonconformity is not a valued commodity among teachers.

Perhaps they need to ask DOCTORS to come in and use their status to speak more openly about sexuality and society. But that might just be worse.

I think government subsidizing of condoms would do a lot of good for just about everybody. At one former school I worked at the first real counselling about sexuality that the (M.2-M.3) girls might get would be when they were impregnated by the M.6 boys.

"Steven"