- Tourist Statistics 2004 -

bollox

I've just seen the latest available figures for January to June 2004 and noticed a few interesting things here:

1. Malaysians (nearly 700,000) have been the largest group of foreign tourists in Thailand but it's noteworthy that they normally merely cross the borders and stay in Thailand for a short while, basically to do a bit of shopping.

2. Japan provides Thailand with the largest number of free spending tourists (as witnessed by the Thais) at about 560,000 for the first 6 months of 2004. I love them all, especially the girls :D

3. The other E Asian countries to which Thailand is found attractive are South Korea, China, Singapore and Taiwan, each of which with a few hundreds of thousands of trippers having visited the kingdom in the first half of 2004. :wub:

4. The British far outnumber their European counterparts with a staggering 365,000 Britons visiting Thailand from January to June 2004 -_- . The Germans came second at 240,000 :o

5. Only about 300,000 Americans visited Thailand during the same period, given that the American population is 5 times larger then the UK's i.e. 290 million to 60 million. I suspect the threat of terrorism must have played a part here. :D

6. There were also around 180,000 Australian trippers. :D

I refer all these summed up points to Tourism Authority of Thailand Webpage :(

No wonder why this forum is dominated by the Brits (not quite right, since anyone from any corner of the world may be a regular here) :D

PS To those of you who are about to argue, I must say that there is nothing to do with me here since I, as a Thai, stick to neutrality (not quite, a bit biased in favour of the Brits though :) )

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The British far outnumber their European counterparts with a staggering 365,000 Britons visiting Thailand from January to June 2004

The reason that so many Brits visit Thailand is that they don't have go-go bars in their own country. Whilst we in America have many, so don't need to travel so often. I feel sorry for the Brits because most of their girls are fat and have very bad teeth. Why do the Brits suffer with such bad teeth, is it inherited?

The British far outnumber their European counterparts with a staggering 365,000 Britons visiting Thailand from January to June 2004

The reason that so many Brits visit Thailand is that they don't have go-go bars in their own country. Whilst we in America have many, so don't need to travel so often. I feel sorry for the Brits because most of their girls are fat and have very bad teeth. Why do the Brits suffer with such bad teeth, is it inherited?

To be honest, I reckon it's a bit of nonsense of you to say that tourists travel for miles to Thailand just to visit go-go bars .... :o

maybe the reason that so few from the States travel (anywhere outside there own country) is because only 30 percent of them have a passport.

As for the britsh females being fat, dont you know that the United States of America is the most over weight population on the planet?

Bograt you realy are pathetic, i know you have never been to Thailand and the only reason you want to come here is for the barboys.

Jog on Mango :o

As an American who travels often, I think the main reason American's don't travel to Thailand as much as Europeans (as a percentage of population) is because of the distance. You will find Americans vacationing in the Caribbean and Central American countries because of their convenience and price. When I go to Thailand, it takes over 24 hours of travelling. As for passports, most of the destinations I've mentioned above don't require a passport - only a birth certificate.

Yup, they're definitely getting porkier and, while I wouldn't say they're ALL fat, it'll be a US-magnitude problem before not much longer. :o

Having said that: they look much better now than in the seventies when 'bone-bag' was the thing to be :D . Ribs belong on a plate with BBQ sauce, NOT on someone with whom I want to get horizontal. :D

Leave it to you children to fight out who is fatter.

As for the original post, very interested to know how they come about the numbers. Any clue <deleted>?

If it is based on tourist visas being issues, then does that include US sailors? Also, whenever I come to BKK on business I always just get the tourist visa at point of entry. I also use BKK as my hub for SEA, so any one trip may have 5 entries, but only be one trip.

While vacationing I almost never run into Americans, unless sailors are calling the port. Seems like all Brits and Germans.

I would think the number of British on holiday are much larger (not just 65K) than American (excluding business & sailors), irregardless of the size of the countries, population, or women. :o

Well, been to a few in the US and can't say they are any better than the lap dancing clubs in the UK.

Surely the reason that the British travel abroad more than Americans is because the British live on a small island. America is pretty isolated and is also a huge country with many different landscapes and climates within it's borders. A New Yorker who wishes to vacation on a Beach resort can go to California, if he wishes to ski he can go to Aspin, if he wants naughty nightlife and gambling he can go to vegas. With such a wide variety of holiday destinations available within the US I think it's quite understandable that the majority of US citizens do not need a passport. Let's be honest, the vast majority of British citizens do not travel outside of their own continent for their vacations.

Thank you for this post.

It has served to remind me that strangling at birth can be a commendable option.

Maybe the reason that so few from the States travel (anywhere outside there own country) is because only 30 percent of them have a passport.

Since GWB got in power they are too paranoid to go to somewhere "foreign".

It might be full to terrorists!!

I thought the fat ones were the Aussies?

They are always talking about the Broad out back!!!!

A majority of Americans are close-minded & ignorant. A lot of them feel that nothing worthwhile exists beyond their borders. As an American myself, but not one of the aforementioned, I speak from experience. Its too bad. Dont lump all of us in one basket because that standard simply doesnt apply to all of us.

Surely the reason that the British travel abroad more than Americans is because the British live on a small island. America is pretty isolated and is also a huge country with many different landscapes and climates within it's borders. A New Yorker who wishes to vacation on a Beach resort can go to California, if he wishes to ski he can go to Aspin, if he wants naughty nightlife and gambling he can go to vegas. With such a wide variety of holiday destinations available within the US I think it's quite understandable that the majority of US citizens do not need a passport. Let's be honest, the vast majority of British citizens do not travel outside of their own continent for their vacations.

Alas! Finally a voice of reason and intelligence in this thread! :D

I was afraid that it would degenrerate into yet another America Bashing one! :D

Konangrit has hit it on the head exactly! Terrorism has very little to do with it. It's more of convience, expense, and time. Why would most Americans travel all the way to Thailand traveling a day in the air, when one can easily go to Hawaii? No need for Passports, etc. If not Hawaii, then there is always Florida, or Southern California. And the Caribean, South America, and Mexico is near by and in the same Time zone.

Before my first trip to Thailand ,when I first told my friends and family that I was going to there, they thought I was crazy, why go to the other side of the world, when you can easily do the same things in Cancun.... or Costa Rica! :D

Only my uncle, who was in Vietnam, understood! :o

So this is why Thailand has so many English people there ( and so many English here in Thaivisa ) - they just have few other places to go for fun and sun for their vacation !

when I first told my friends and family that I was going to there, they thought I was crazy, why go to the other side of the world, when you can easily do the same things in Cancun.... or Costa Rica! :o

Surely there is no excuse. The Europeans can aslo simply go to Southern Europe for nice beaches and ski in Austria

Can you find bloody ladyboys, tuktuks, patthai, massive temples in Cancun? :D

So this is why Thailand has so many English people there ( and so many English here in Thaivisa ) - they just have few other places to go for fun and sun for their vacation !

Trust an American to see British(in the original post) and change it to English.

Or maybe I am being ignorant here too, are only people from the USA called Americans?

I met a guy 2 weeks ago who told me he was from Minnesota. I said where the fukc is that. Americans think the whole world should know US geography. I would never say to a Yank, I come from Drumnadrochit, and expect them to know where it is.

Can you find bloody ladyboys, tuktuks, patthai, massive temples in Cancun?  :D

I don't know about "bloody" ladyboys, but I'm sure there are many transvestites, transsexuals there too, as well as the local versions of the Thai tuk-tuk there also. And as for massive temples, how can one not miss the Old Mayan, Toltec, and Aztec Temple ruins nearby. :D:o

Trust an American to see British(in the original post) and change it to English.

Or maybe I am being ignorant here too, are only people from the USA called Americans?

I met a guy 2 weeks ago who told me he was from Minnesota. I said where the fukc is that. Americans think the whole world should know US geography. I would never say to a Yank, I come from Drumnadrochit, and expect them to know where it is.

English...British...British...English.......In the grand scheme of things , it the same difference.... :o:D

BTW, I'll give you a hundred pounds of imaginary money if you can guess where my new character comes from? :D :D

BTW, I'll give you a hundred pounds of imaginary money if you can guess where my new character comes from?  

It's that guy from "Hairy Poofter", isn't it?

Could be the guy from one of those English language learning books, they always look like that.

Yeah but Go-Go bars that you can get sex at??? I don't think there are as many in the states and if there are I would never want to go into them.

neeranam...I'm from Pasadena and I know where Drumnadrochit is. Lovely place...good food and drink at the ******* Bar. Fill in the blank and I'll know that you've actually been there.

Otherwise shut the <deleted> up...

:o i used to work neer loch ness and the only decent bar i could remember in Drum was the Blarmor, is that the one tuttsi?

Cheers Mango

mango...awright, awright...tutsi is a nice guy and will give the answer away...the MONSTER Bar, the only bar on the main highway that I could see. Has a picture of Nessie out front and my uncle-in-law Paddy from Co. Laoise shouted 'tutsi!...you got to pull over!...I got to have me a drink in a place that has a picture of Nessie out front.' He was a water diviner and clairvoyant and Nessie was of special interest.