More Bars In Udonthani

beekay

Hiya all.. have anyone been in Udonthani??

I really think this could be the next place that people will look for in Thailand. Everybodys looking for something new since its getting more expensive and its only the same thing over and over at the more common tourist places in Thailand.

Theres a big shoppingcenter in Udon that decided they should pull down the one and only complete barstreet (soi farang) in Udon. Because they need it for parkingspots. However alot of people who thought about opening a bar took the oportunity.. so we have alot of new bars popping up here. Also there are some really interesting projects going on. They are trying to build 2 new areas for bars.

Its gonna be Nuttypark whos close to the Udonthani nightmarket. I havent been there and checked the actual work yet but it seems like a good location for a bararea. But i havent found any homepage that tells me anything about this project.. please post it here if you find any.

And then we have Udon day and night wich seems to be the bigger project of them both. They seem to aim for a nice and clean area and the construction of it has been going really fast. I think it started in April and already they plan to have the grand opening at the 1st of July. Im really looking forward to that. Those guys have a really ncie homepage to promote the project and they just opened the forum section. Its on www.udondayandnight.com .

I really hope theres gonna be customers enough for all bars so that Udons nightlife will get a boost. I hope some of you decide to give it a shot and come up here to Udonthani... its a big city where you have everything you need... but everything is cheaper than the usual tourist places. Okok.. no beaches, but there are several swimmingpools where you can go and enjoy.

Ok thats all for me.. seeya guys!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh well, that's really gone and buggered it now hasn't it?

Udon, the country's best kept secret has been mentioned in a similar vein as the 'more common tourist places' so now the airlines will be adding extra flights to take the ever increasing amounts of farangs to the heart of Isaan in search of something 'different'. I read that over the past couple of years, the powers that be in Udon drove out some of the less desirable farang types that had decided this sleepy backwater was a great place for their nefarious activities (whatever they were). Here's hoping that they keep to their word and don't let these developments degenerate into the same rubbish as Pattaya and Phuket. I am saying Udon is for the more genteel pursuits of the respectable, retired, dare I say it, well-off individual and perish the thought it's gonna radically change.

Let's see here........He joins 2 days ago and now promoting bars in the Issan area (Udon Thani to be specific)

Sounds like he may have a $$$$ interest in one (or several bars)?

Sorry, I just loath guys who make a new screen name just to promote their businesses.....

oh yea, everything is cheaper, except the airfare or drive up here, the hotels. the view of the beach is great from any hotel. downtown is a major traffic nightmare anywhere's near rush hour, as construction will start in shopping mall area, and the new stuff being built, with the standard of no additional parking for customer.

but food is cheaper, but much less variety, ok, that's worth the trip alone. if enjoying P4P, well, let's just say, most are beyond their expiration date, and if you don't mind paying 1000 st or maybe 2000 long, then bargains abound. good reason udon thani is not on any tourist list of places to be, unless passing thru to laos, or wanting to get away from tourist places and heavy nightlife/sex tourism. it is everywhere in the country, so if that is your preference, better to be where it is competitively prices.

Edited by laphanphon

I love udon and maybe live there one day but i didnt find it cheap.In fact the drinks were more expensive than jomtien, in the bars.Overall though udon is a lovely place and doesnt seem to have the crime rate as chonburi.

When Udon Day and Night is completed the bar scene in Udon Thani will be the equivalent of about a fifth of Soi 7 in Pattaya......yes 20% of just one street.

No Walking Street, A Go-Go,s,beaches etc.

Very few pretty bar girls,as well.

The only sexual action most mongers will encounter in Udon is "jerking off".

Worth the trip ????

beekay hasnt a clue ! :o

When Udon Day and Night is completed the bar scene in Udon Thani will be the equivalent of about a fifth of Soi 7 in Pattaya......yes 20% of just one street.

No Walking Street, A Go-Go,s,beaches etc.

Very few pretty bar girls,as well.

The only sexual action most mongers will encounter in Udon is "jerking off".

Worth the trip ????

beekay hasnt a clue ! :o

Beekay seems to be recycling, with a few updates, an item from Stickman's readers' submissions a couple of years ago that touted Udon as the new Mecca for cheap adult 'entertainment'. My own impression as pretty much an observer rather than participant is that attractive bar girls are indeed thin on the ground. I suspect that the true 'mongers' though will be more interested in the sois and bungalows. All I would say is that this is an unattractive exploitative side of the business, mainly involving tiny Lao working girls. Pattaya it is not. Incidentally Udon does have an a-go-go - Wolverine -but a more depressing bar you would need to travel a long way to see.

Bootom line is if you come to Udon for a Patters experience you are going to be very disappointed. where the problem comes is that guys come expecting that experience and get very angry at the locals and take oit out on them Then they travel off in the sunset leaving those of us who live here to deal with some very p-ssed off Thais. Not a good thing.

Yep there ar now a lot of bars here ever since the last Cobra Gold, but if some farrang wasn't taking money out his wallet to keep them open for thier sweety they would fold, just not here.

Remember any of us could have settled in Pattaya when we came here. We came to Udon because it was different. Make this Pattaya and it will be no different. So it's great place as someone pointed out to retire, or raise a family. Party central it is not.

Now you can say us old codgers are just trying to spoil your fun, but all that is really happening is we are telling the truth. So don't get p-ssed off when reality hits you. Please.

Believe me you will be seeing a lot less smiles then you did even two years ago.

Not a bunch of prudes there have always been places of enjoyment here, but they were Thai places staffed by Lao's Not Thais. We used to be welcome but way to much attention was paid to this and you won't be as welcome as before. Stickman brought down a world of rath on these places, brought cops down from Bangkok and they got busy making lives miserable.

Face still means something in Issan, no one wants anyone to know thier daughters are working in places where bar fines are common. Gee don't think that might be why they go the tourist placs to ply that trade. You woudl be surprised how many girls in Issan work in these tourist places selling somtom and making a 100K a month. Thats just life in Issan. But they don't want to see it in thier backyard. The local government was not a bit happy about Soi Farrang AKA Little Pattaya.

Ok yuo have been told straight up so no grumbling when you find out it is true :o

I still visit Jomtien once in a while as well as getting to Udon Thani on occasion. I'll tell you for a fact that Udon Thani IS more expensive than Jomtien. Also, if it's ladies you're interested in, you would be well advised to stay in Pattaya.

Udon for partying. LMFAO. Farangs in Udon leave to points south when they want to party.

Farang food far more expensive than Pattaya with much lower quality and selection.

<snip>

Most bars close at midnight.

Beer prices about the same as Pattaya bar beers. Some more, some less. Average lady drink asking price is now B130.

Only one bar with decent pool tables.

No tourist attractions or sights to visit in the day.

Most of the population speaks at most 10 words of English.

Why anyone would make a special trip up to monger is beyond me.

Edited by toptuan
Per forum rules, no discussion about the specifics of prostitution are allowed.

Keeping away from the topic if Udon needs any more bars...

I took a look at the area on the internet and I could not understand why they seem to be building poxy little spaces? I would have thought they would have thought outside the box and just put up a few large bars.

Even the name is boring "Walking Area" Wonder how they thought of that? :o

TheWalkingMan

Keeping away from the topic if Udon needs any more bars...

I took a look at the area on the internet and I could not understand why they seem to be building poxy little spaces? I would have thought they would have thought outside the box and just put up a few large bars.

Even the name is boring "Walking Area" Wonder how they thought of that? :o

TheWalkingMan

You sure you did'nt have a foot involved :D

They keep opening the bars and they keep closing them.

Been based here 10 years now and the majority of bars opened in that time have long gone.

So has the money the no brainers invested in them.

I was talking to yet another newly arrrived foreigner who was visiting with his loveeeeeeeeeeeeee and says he will open a new bar with lots of things that are missing here.

I treid to tell him that all the things he was going to do no longer existed because they,d been tried and tested, resulting in failure.

His come back was, " They obviously didn,t know how to attract the punters, he was different. " :o

Next time i saw him in Tesco, the friendly banter had all but gone and conversation was a bit tense to say the least.

His loveeeee quickly locking her arm in his and walking off very abruptly.

I wonder why ???

He is due back in a couple of months and should i be around, i look forward to seeing him being one of the few to succeed and settle down with his new found loveeeee with who he intends to spend the rest of his life with.

Not a cynical post intended, by the way, it,s just to much to soon on his part and i feel he may live to regret it, unless as i suggested to him, take your time, spend at least a few months here before investing and then think about it, if your still in the same frame of mind.

He was on about buying a little house for his new loveeeeeeeee ( only 2 mil he told me ) and wasn,t bothered about having to put it into her name, that,s another thing i tried to offer advice on, regarding Thai law ect. but it went on deaf ears i,m afraid.

marshbags :D

P.S.

At the time he,d spent a total of approx. four weeks with her and this was taking two flying visits into account to see

her, after initially meeting her on a Bangkok Stop over.

I genuinely hope he proves me wrong on my gut feeling with this one.

Edited by marshbags

When in Issan it's Khon Kaen base for me, great little city. Easy to drive to any of the fun towns, I particularly like Ubon and Roi Et but almost anywhere in Issan has a character of its' own.

Marshbag sI have given up talking newbies, they never think above the belt line

I must admit it,s difficult Ray, as i always seem to get a negative reaction and a WTFDHK response.

Conscience always gets the better of me and i still keep trying, but it isn,t one of my feel good factor moments, in most instances.

If i help only one person, it,s well worth the hastle....I thinkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :o

It,s the time i spend trying that really discourages me sometimes, never enough hours in the day in Udon, that,s for sure.

marshbags

By the way, was it you who organises the July doo,s for the kids in N.Prajak as i may be here this time around to give you a few baht towards the ice cream.

How many ice creams can you get for 50 baht ? :D

Only joking, perhaps a little more could be put in the kitty, but don,t tell now one

Edited by marshbags

udon doesnt seem to be a very friendly place based on some posters here.

ITS MY PLACE AND YOU CANT COME IN BOOHOO BOOHOO,then throws the dummy out the pram.

Correct, please spread the word around for us unfriendly locals, pleaseeeeeeeeee

marshbags :o

udon doesnt seem to be a very friendly place based on some posters here.

ITS MY PLACE AND YOU CANT COME IN BOOHOO BOOHOO,then throws the dummy out the pram.

Correct, please spread the word around for us unfriendly locals, pleaseeeeeeeeee

Just caught up with this thread, good to see you boys have kept all our secrets intact. :D

:oWE'RE CLOSED. GO AWAY ! :D

You UM guys are a barrel of laughs I tell ya! :D

Have you ever considered that at some point it becomes counter-productive and people just might think you're trying to keep it all hush hush? :D

~WISteve

:DWE'RE CLOSED. GO AWAY ! :D

You UM guys are a barrel of laughs I tell ya! :D

Have you ever considered that at some point it becomes counter-productive and people just might think you're trying to keep it all hush hush? :D

~WISteve

I thought it was hush hush :o

Yep guilty, but all the left over proceeds were used to buy clothes. For around 600 Baht you can give them all ice cream have a great day. Go for it

Guilty of spreading goodwill and making the children happy...

When are you organising your next one and if so, got any details please on when and where.

Well done for not only thinking about the kids, but more importantly, putting it into practice.

Due to personal reasons i am unable to do one personally, but i would be very pleased to support your splendid efforts in financial terms.

Perhaps others reading this thread may wish to help and also contribute to make your efforts even more meaningful with little extra,s for them.

Edited by marshbags