Bringing Thai Wife To Canada After Marriage

Hello, I'm wondering if somebody could give me some advice on bringing my wife to Canada after our marriage. Were getting married in a week and I'd like to bring her home with me after everything is finished. From what I understand the thing to do is fill out the paperwork for permanent residence and send it off to singapore. Also at the same time fill out paperwork for sponsorship and send it away, but im unclear if that has to be done in Canada or can be done in Thailand. The process apparantly can take up to a year. I don't / can't work in Thailand and can not afford to stay here any longer. I'm wondering what the easiest / quickest way to bring her back with me is. I think we should apply for a tourist visa to bring her back, but Im not sure if we can start the paper work for permanent residence after shes in Canada or if we have to start it before. She would also have to return to Thailand after 6 months, correct? That wouldn't be a problem as it would give her a chance to visit family and then I think she could come back when the permanent residence is completed or return on another tourist visa? The other thing is that we tried to get a tourist visa before when she was my girlfriend but was refused, however I think things will be different now that she my wife (atleast I certainly hope so). When we apply for the tourist visa this time I plan on bringing lots of pictures of our time togethor before our marriage, pictures of us with her family, certificate of marriage, etc. I don't know if our age has to do with anything but I'm 21 and shes 25. I have proof of previous employment (t4 slips and pay stubs) I make $32 Cad / hour but I quite my job before I came to Thailand last time. I will have no trouble finding work when I return as jobs come and go regulary in my trade (pipefitter/welder) and my rate stays the same as Im in a union, but I dont know what the consulate will think of this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would be really interested to hear how you make out and the advice you get. I was recently married and am now back in Canada trying to figure out the best prospect.

I am guessing if you go to the Canadian Embassy in Thailand and try for a 6 month visa they will eat you alive, since you are married. Knowing the chances of her coming back are slim and none.

If you did get her to Canada and you were married in Canada, they cannot force her to leave, but she will also not be able to go back to Thailand until she is a permanent resident status approximately 1 year.

GOOD LUCK

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I'm wondering if somebody could give me some advice on bringing my wife to Canada after our marriage. Were getting married in a week and I'd like to bring her home with me after everything is finished. From what I understand the thing to do is fill out the paperwork for permanent residence and send it off to singapore. Also at the same time fill out paperwork for sponsorship and send it away, but im unclear if that has to be done in Canada or can be done in Thailand. The process apparantly can take up to a year. I don't / can't work in Thailand and can not afford to stay here any longer. I'm wondering what the easiest / quickest way to bring her back with me is. I think we should apply for a tourist visa to bring her back, but Im not sure if we can start the paper work for permanent residence after shes in Canada or if we have to start it before. She would also have to return to Thailand after 6 months, correct? That wouldn't be a problem as it would give her a chance to visit family and then I think she could come back when the permanent residence is completed or return on another tourist visa? The other thing is that we tried to get a tourist visa before when she was my girlfriend but was refused, however I think things will be different now that she my wife (atleast I certainly hope so). When we apply for the tourist visa this time I plan on bringing lots of pictures of our time togethor before our marriage, pictures of us with her family, certificate of marriage, etc. I don't know if our age has to do with anything but I'm 21 and shes 25. I have proof of previous employment (t4 slips and pay stubs) I make $32 Cad / hour but I quite my job before I came to Thailand last time. I will have no trouble finding work when I return as jobs come and go regulary in my trade (pipefitter/welder) and my rate stays the same as Im in a union, but I dont know what the consulate will think of this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you and I are in the exact situation. I will be checking back from time to time on this site and would like to help by passing on any information I get. The forms to fill out may seem intimidating but if you go through them and you organise yourself properly, you can get through this (at least I hope so!). Also, there are a lot of guys in this forum that know the deal with this process. Good luck and I hope to send some good information your way :o .

Keep an eye on this thread also...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196921

I believe I already answered to some of you on emails... however!

There are several types of visas in Canada. But you are talking about immigration, which is different.

Not a temporary visa for tourist, a worker, a student, for example.

In that case, the Canadian Bangkok Embassy do not deal with immigration and it's the Singapore branch, and yes, the process is

long (normally 4 to 8 months, but it depends on many factors). (unless there are new rules...and the rules often change)

The paper work is extensive. Best is to get married first (but not a requirement in Canada as "common law" spouses are recognized in the law, with some conditions. You must also understand that in Canada, if you SPONSOR a family member to come for immigration, you have some responsability towards the Canadian government and that is VERY IMPORTANT.

There are other criteria that can EXCLUDE you to sponspor somebody.

For instance, you may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

• failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
  • defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
  • defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
  • are in prison or
  • have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet

The "immigration and refugee protection Act" in Canada (and it's regulation) is the LAW that has all details. It can be seen on the government's website, make a search with "Immigration and refugee protectection Act" Canada...and you should find it easily. It might be a little difficult to read...

There are some small spefications different in you want to immigrate in Quebec.

Sebastian, Canadian lawyer member of the bar of Quebec.

I would be really interested to hear how you make out and the advice you get. I was recently married and am now back in Canada trying to figure out the best prospect.

I am guessing if you go to the Canadian Embassy in Thailand and try for a 6 month visa they will eat you alive, since you are married. Knowing the chances of her coming back are slim and none.

If you did get her to Canada and you were married in Canada, they cannot force her to leave, but she will also not be able to go back to Thailand until she is a permanent resident status approximately 1 year.

GOOD LUCK

hey there

i brought my wife and 2 kids to the iceberg last year...

you have to apply from here im pretty sure its more then send her paper to singapore really... well thats part of it anyway

took us 6 months ... but have to round up LOTS of papers... and translate hers to english...

i suggest you get a lawyer here ... she can downlaod forms in Thailand from Immigration site you may want to help her to get it be aware any thing wrong with paperwork will delay everything it all has to be sent at the same time yours and hers.... then they process you... if u accepted as a sponsor then they look at her stuff

my wife was a teacher there so she did lots of the stuff herslf... but she speaks english (teach english there ) we were together for many years (6 years) before we got them here so ours was quite simple to do I used to spend half the year overthere

\you need a translated marriage licence from there too .

embassy has a list of translators...

. anyway message me if you think I can help

ciao :o

hello, i just got back from Thailand i was on a 5month backpacking trip and meet my dream girl in Bangkok, we have bin dating for about 3month. When i was in bkk i went to the canadian embassy and couldnt find any help or get any questions answered any help would be wanderful. I was wandering if anyone has any tips on applying for a Temporary Resident Visa to canada for my thai girlfriend, like what forms to fill, if i need a letter of invite, how long can she stay on Temporary Resident Visa in canada, how long dos the process take in Bangkok. i was reading some of the post about bring my thai wife to canada and figured were going throught the same things. Thanks inadvance.

Jordansitar, before applying, consider these:

- If your girlfriend doesn't work and have no money, her chances are not good.

- If she works but only for few months and can't show stability, also difficult.

- The younger she is, the most difficult. If she has a family here, house, better. Good Jobs great.

- If she has been ABROAD, much easier.

You won't lose a lot of money by a refused application. But the problem is that the second time she will apply, it will be VERY VERY difficult if she has been refused the first time.

Even if you are the richest guy in Canada and send a letter saying that you will be responsible and cover all her fees... it's irrelevant. They want to know if the APPLICANT (your girlfriend) QUALIFIES (meaning they think she shows enough stability and proof that she will return in Thailand). If she is borderline (work, stability, never been abroad, good girl, not rich but has money, education, etc) they will ask her for an interview in BKK.

Good luck.

I have gone through the process and can tell you a tourist visa before you two are married is difficult and after you are married virtually impossible. However if you fill out the application for sponsorship/permanent residency (for her, you'll likely help fill out this part) along with lots of great shots of smiling family members, letters of support from your family you could have her in Canada in as little as 3 months.

Having a lawyer isn't necessary and won't speed up anything.

Good luck!

I have gone through the process and can tell you a tourist visa before you two are married is difficult and after you are married virtually impossible. However if you fill out the application for sponsorship/permanent residency (for her, you'll likely help fill out this part) along with lots of great shots of smiling family members, letters of support from your family you could have her in Canada in as little as 3 months.

Good luck!

I have obtained a tourist visa for my Thai g/f, common law, filled out the declaration etc.

We are in Canada now, going back to Thailand in Aug. getting married then, and planning on returning to Canada in the fall, wondering why you say after marriage virtually impossible to obtain a tourist visa?

hey guys, thanks for great info.a little more back ground on my girl, she has a good job, bin working it for about 5-6months, shes 29 years old, shes bin to sinapore once, and has a little bit of money saved up, aswell as ahe can speak good english, im not sure if she has land or anything but im sure her family could put her name on a house somewere, and im going to get a letter of invite noterised, as well as give a detailed list of her accomadation while in canada and get i letter from her boss, say her postion, salary and how long she worked there, aswell as hand in her return airline ticket. what do you think about are chances, any suggestion would be helpful. thanks inadvance. Jordan

• 3 months later...

hey there

i brought my wife and 2 kids to the iceberg last year...

you have to apply from here im pretty sure its more then send her paper to singapore really... well thats part of it anyway

took us 6 months ... but have to round up LOTS of papers... and translate hers to english...

i suggest you get a lawyer here ... she can downlaod forms in Thailand from Immigration site you may want to help her to get it be aware any thing wrong with paperwork will delay everything it all has to be sent at the same time yours and hers.... then they process you... if u accepted as a sponsor then they look at her stuff

my wife was a teacher there so she did lots of the stuff herslf... but she speaks english (teach english there ) we were together for many years (6 years) before we got them here so ours was quite simple to do I used to spend half the year overthere

\you need a translated marriage licence from there too .

embassy has a list of translators...

. anyway message me if you think I can help

ciao :jap:

My wife and I got married in Thailand and we have one kid now. My wife had applied for temporary visa for 6 months and had been refused once. so I shall have to apply for permanent resident visa. I know that we can apply for permanent resident visa in Singapore. I was wondering when you applied, were you with your family in Thailand? Do you have to be in Canada? How did you apply? by mail to Canadian Embassy in Singapore or in person? I was wondering if we have to go to Singapore. Another thing is that I am unemployed right now and i don't have a house in Canada. Is it possible to apply as my wife sponsor now?

Thank you very much for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck!

I have obtained a tourist visa for my Thai g/f, common law, filled out the declaration etc.

We are in Canada now, going back to Thailand in Aug. getting married then, and planning on returning to Canada in the fall, wondering why you say after marriage virtually impossible to obtain a tourist visa?

hello...just want to tell you about my experience re. why it may be difficult to get the visa. i have been married for 10 years; have one canadian/thai daugther;my wife has her own business, house and land. she is 43 years old, no criminal record.

i am now in canada with my daughter for my health and for my daughter education. she was refuse a tourist visa to visit her own daugther and me!!!!???

and...i cannot sponsor her because of my health! the result? my wife will probably never be able to come to canada!

it seems that our guys at the embassy do not give much respect to the institution of marriage!

anyways...good luck to you!

bye

alexboy

• 10 years later...
On 11/14/2008 at 1:22 PM, alexboy said:

hello...just want to tell you about my experience re. why it may be difficult to get the visa. i have been married for 10 years; have one canadian/thai daugther;my wife has her own business, house and land. she is 43 years old, no criminal record.

i am now in canada with my daughter for my health and for my daughter education. she was refuse a tourist visa to visit her own daugther and me!!!!???

and...i cannot sponsor her because of my health! the result? my wife will probably never be able to come to canada!

it seems that our guys at the embassy do not give much respect to the institution of marriage!

anyways...good luck to you!

bye

alexboy

On 6/15/2008 at 12:01 PM, jmcanada said:

GOOD LUCK

I brought my wife over on a five year visitor visa and applied for permanent residence from Canada.

The whole process took 3 years even with help from the local MP. Just completed last October. It's

a very frustrating process, it's like the paper work disappears into a black hole . Every three months they spit something out then go quiet for another three months. She had no problem returning to 

Thailand November to March each year.

I brought my wife over on a five year visitor visa and applied for permanent residence from Canada.
The whole process took 3 years even with help from the local MP. Just completed last October. It's
a very frustrating process, it's like the paper work disappears into a black hole . Every three months they spit something out then go quiet for another three months. She had no problem returning to 
Thailand November to March each year.
No such thing as 5 year visitor visa to Canada. Let's not mislead our readers of this blog. There is however a multiple entry visitor visa for up to 6 months at a time, but visitor has to leave the country and return again after a time lapse. There are some exceptions where if a Permanent resident application is pending applied from within Canada, the visitor applicant may be allowed to stay in Canada full time until the Residency decision is rendered. Not sure how that exception is applied for nor approved as it is not an option in the Permanent Residency application.