Looking For A Home With Wifi/standard Internet On Koh Chang

KohKarrang

Is it possible?

I checked out a place called '3 Season' near Khlong Prao/Kai Bae, they had wifi but it was a 1MB connection for 9 bungalows I think! The rooms are quite nice and reasonable at about B6,000p/m so that may be a possibliity but I'd prefer somethng a bit faster!

Apart from that I haven't come across any other places with wifi, anybody know of anywhere??

I'm not necessarily looking for a house for that price, a bungalow will be good enough, would love somewhere near Khlong Prao or Chai Chet

I'm also not fussy abou whether it's wifi or standard internet..

Please help!

I use Hutch on KC and my friend uses Dtac........both have their ups and downs but it gets round so much hassle e.g. phone lines etc and you can use it anywhere there is a signal.

Thanks for your reply, how do I go about getting these services?

"I'm not necessarily looking for a house for that price, a bungalow will be good enough, would love somewhere near Khlong Prao or Chai Chet"

back of chai chet, go back onto main road stright accross, up past supermarket some appartments up there, vc i think they were called, a mate checked them and said they cheap as chips, that was a year or so ago like.

on that road, them bars and shps etc all have live in above and they only 10,000 month

just came back from chai chet this week, no customers bar on front shut no light show typical out of season, and they still wanted 1800 a night, so ill keep going back dusit!

internet i was on true via nokia phone, not very fast but if not in rush, ok, again dusit want 500 bhat a day internet!

true you must get a thai person to get a contract for you!

chris

"I'm not necessarily looking for a house for that price, a bungalow will be good enough, would love somewhere near Khlong Prao or Chai Chet"

back of chai chet, go back onto main road stright accross, up past supermarket some appartments up there, vc i think they were called, a mate checked them and said they cheap as chips, that was a year or so ago like.

That'll be VJ Apartments, I looked at them before and they're not bad - B4500p/m last time I looked but the lady who was working there on the day I looked said I couldn't get a fixed line installed - but that's not so much of a worry as the rooms were pretty stuffy, I don't mind paying a bit more for something out of the way but with a bit more freedom too...

Maybe it's not such a concern about where I stay if Hutch or Dtac mobile are worth using, I've searched the forum and found some info on these services but wilko, can you tell me exactly what dongle and what service you have as I dont want to buy something in BKK where the shop assistant promises me it'll work on Koh Chang only to get to Koh Chang to find it doesn't work and my money is down the drain...

Maybe it's not such a concern about where I stay if Hutch or Dtac mobile are worth using, I've searched the forum and found some info on these services but wilko, can you tell me exactly what dongle and what service you have as I dont want to buy something in BKK where the shop assistant promises me it'll work on Koh Chang only to get to Koh Chang to find it doesn't work and my money is down the drain...

I have a 1000 baht per month unlimited download "standard speed" a/c with Hutch.....it works around Bang Bao and that end of the island...i haven't tried it elsewhere...I would imagine that Whitesands will be fine. KC is mountainous so you should check for reception with locals. My friend's Dtac is about the same.

The connection speeds are up and down but in general about 2 to 3 times faster than dial-up.

Hutch also offer a high-speed connection but I'm not sure about it's availability around Thailand.

In general you pay about 4000 for the modem and 1069 per month thereafter...payable at 7/11s etc.

I don't know where you are but Hutch have shops in Pattaya (nr Tuk.Com) and Sri Racha (Robinsons) so I'd expect to find them anywhere without much hassle.

Dtac will have a similar set-up.

These connections are relatively slow (I have broadband at work) but it IS rather nice to be able to access the net in all sorts of places...and they are noticeably faster than dial-up.

The cheaper limited downloads seem to be too limited even for minimal use.

I have a 1000 baht per month unlimited download "standard speed" a/c with Hutch.....it works around Bang Bao and that end of the island...i haven't tried it elsewhere...I would imagine that Whitesands will be fine. KC is mountainous so you should check for reception with locals. My friend's Dtac is about the same.

The connection speeds are up and down but in general about 2 to 3 times faster than dial-up.

Hutch also offer a high-speed connection but I'm not sure about it's availability around Thailand.

In general you pay about 4000 for the modem and 1069 per month thereafter...payable at 7/11s etc.

I don't know where you are but Hutch have shops in Pattaya (nr Tuk.Com) and Sri Racha (Robinsons) so I'd expect to find them anywhere without much hassle.

These connections are relatively slow (I have broadband at work) but it IS rather nice to be able to access the net in all sorts of places...and they are noticeably faster than dial-up.

Excellet info wilko, thanks, I'm looking for a place around Khlong Prao/Chai Chet whch isn't as mountainous as Bang Bao so I may be ok, maybe I'll just have to buy and try :o

Edited by KohKarrang

Excellet info wilko, thanks, I'm looking for a place around Khlong Prao/Chai Chet whch isn't as mountainous as Bang Bao so I may be ok, maybe I'll just have to buy and try :o

It's more if you are in the radio shadow of a mountain....ban Bao is the fishing village at the end of the island....it has a load of tsunami warning stuff and ariels there which I guess are also used for phone signals(???)

It's more if you are in the radio shadow of a mountain....ban Bao is the fishing village at the end of the island....it has a load of tsunami warning stuff and ariels there which I guess are also used for phone signals(???)

I may just have to buy and try then :o

Anyway wilko, do you know of anywhere for rent around the Khlong Prao area, I'd love to get somewhere on the Khlong itself!

Cant help with the wifi, but I've used AIS on my mobile to check emails when I've visited the island. Ian had a house for rent by the river in Klong Prao. It's on the real estate section of the iamkohchang.com site. Not on the estuary but near the entrance to the waterfall. I think it has a phone line so you should be able to get broadband

Ian had a house for rent by the river in Klong Prao. It's on the real estate section of the iamkohchang.com site.

I just had a look at the real estate section of iamkohchang.com and there's a couple of nice houses, one really nice one in Kai Bae but it's only a short term rental, mst be a falang coming back to live in it after the rain... I'll keep my eyes on it though :o