Foreigners' Protest Walk From Mae Hong Son To Cm

george

Foreigners' protest walk from Mae Hong Son to Chiang Mai

MAE HONG SON: -- A foreign tourist and long-term resident in Thailand’s northern border town of Mae Hong Son plans to stage a protest walk across the province to draw attention to Thai Airways International (THAI)’s vague plans for its flights in the province next month.

Denis S. Pekod, a 53-year-old foreign resident in Mae Hong Son, told TNA that he was frustrated by THAI’s failure to confirm its flights from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son between 7-26 November even though the company was taking bookings for the route.

Mr. Pekod said he had planned to spend his Christmas with friends in Chiang Mai, but was unsure if he could rely on the airlines.

Instead, he decided to organise a marathon walk to his destination in protest against THAI.

It would take ten days to walk the 245 kilometres, he said.

He plans to start his march across the province on 10 December.

Mr. Pekod also distributed leaflets advertising his planned marathon walk around the town on Monday inviting other foreign tourists to join him.

Although it is a protest march, he also said in his flyers that the 10-day-walk would promote good health.

The trip is scheduled to start from Wat Prathat Doi Kongmu in Mae Hong Son's down town.

(Mr. Pekod has asked for public contributions towards the cost of a pickup truck to carry the walkers’ luggage and overnight accommodation along the route on the Mae Hong Son-Pai-Chiang Mai Highway.

He has also asked the provincial traffic police to facilitate the walk.

--TNA 2004-10-26

While I applaude Mr. Pekod for having the gumption to stage a protest march and solicit others to join him, I'm just a smidgen disappointed that it's not for something a little bit more substantial than plane scheduling by Thai Airlines. Given all the extremely serious issues in Thailand today, it somehow all seems just a tad superficial.

STILL, I do extend my best wishes to ANYONE that attempts to further the causes of democracy on any issue.

While I applaude Mr. Pekod for having the gumption to stage a protest march and solicit others to join him, I'm just a smidgen disappointed that it's not for something a little bit more substantial than plane scheduling by Thai Airlines. Given all the extremely serious issues in Thailand today, it somehow all seems just a tad superficial.

STILL, I do extend my best wishes to ANYONE that attempts to further the causes of democracy on any issue.

Please don't let this trivializing, protesting fool be an American.