At Least 78 Die After Thailand Riot

mango

Katyusha, tone down your tongue here. I have been reading your posts, and you are getting out of hand. Either you shut the trap for awhile or George will slice you off. Get a life man. This is supposed to be a topic and not some cut throat forum. If you wanna do that, go to the other one that is designed for it.

Now gentlemen, lets get back to the topic and try to understand why all these people demanded the release of the 6 prisoners. Question --> who instigated this riot in the first place. There had to be a leader involved in all of this.

Daveyo

PS Kat, by the way don't dare me into some debate with you. I will make you lose face in two seconds.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS  Kat, by the way don't dare me into some debate with you.  I will make you lose face in two seconds.

Really ?

At the moment, all you are is a big mouth, so bring it on and put your wordskills where your flapping gums are!

If you have anything worthwhile to say then I'll compliment you, as I complimented Ravisher.

If you turn out to be just another pretend Buddhist or closet paedophile or useless wannabe member of the fomum's intelligentsia then I'll just consign your words to the scrapheap with theirs.

Let's dance!

You won't live long enough to be fit to kiss his boots!

Totally of her rocker now !

Threatening people on this forum !

Only an idiot would interpret what I said as a threat, so I guess I'll have to make it clearer for you;

"Dorkman will not live long enough to learn enough to be fit kiss Ravisher's boots."

Happy now, pygmy ?

PM poised for TV explanation of Tak Bai

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra this evening prepared to stand up to criticism of his conduct over the death of 85 Muslim protestors on Monday, scheduling an emergency television appearance to explain the situation.

But the prime minister, who has been blasted at home and abroad for the incident, in which 78 died in military custody and a further seven died during Monday’s disturbance outside Tak Bai police station, began the afternoon with what critics immediately pounced on as a cynical public relations exercise – the donation of over Bt8 million to mosques in the southern border region.

Mr. Thaksin however hotly denied the claims that the donation of Bt8.23 million to 1,646 mosques had anything to do with the Tak Bai affair, claiming that he had been planning the donation for some time.

He also dismissed claims that the Tak Bai incident was an attack on the Muslim religion, responding heatedly to a number of foreign journalists who have likened the deaths of the detainees to ‘ethnic cleansing’.

“We need to show our sorrow to the families who have lost their loved ones. But the government must insist that this incident has nothing to do with religion. It’s a matter of civil regulations…we are currently investigating it, and expect the investigation to be completed soon. We will accept the findings. The government is serious and is concerned with all the people”, he said.

Thailand’s most prominent Muslim politician, Agriculture Minister Wan Muhamad Noor Matha, was quick to rush to the prime minister’s defence today, saying that the government had never intended to act with such force.

At the same time, Islamic leaders shrugged off rumours that they had called for a change of government. Mr. Waeduemae Mamingji, a member of the Islamic committee for the three southern border provinces, called on the government and Mr. Thaksin to take responsibility for the Tak Bai incident.

Asked whether the violence would escalate, he said that it was now up to the government to ensure that the correct assistance and cooperation was given.

“The government, officials and leaders must ensure understanding and take responsibility. There must be thoroughness in this. We don’t want any repeat incidents”, he said, pledging the support of the Islamic committees in helping bring about understanding among the public.

He also denied reports that members of the Islamic committees were preparing a petition to oust the government.

This evening Mr. Thaksin will appear on television to explain the Tak Bai incident. His appearance, after tonight’s Royal News, will not be live, but will be of a pre-recorded tape made this afternoon.

The prime minister’s move was welcomed this afternoon by Defence Minister Samphan Boonyanant, who expressed confidence that Mr. Thaksin’s television appearance would lead to greater understanding among the public.

When asked about calls from senators for the commander of the 4th Regional Army Division to accept responsibility for the incident, he said no responsibility could be apportioned until the results of the investigation had come through.

He admitted the possibility that some of the protestors involved might have been Indonesian or Malaysian, but said that no confirmation could be given until further investigations had been conducted into the 22 as yet unclaimed corpses.

However, he insisted that the protest was certainly organized rather than spontaneous, and that one of the aims was the formation of a separate Muslim state.

Gen. Samphan also confirmed intelligence reports suggesting that protests were planned for Bangkok, but stressed that these were ‘unlikely’.

--TNA 2004-10-29