Eastern Thailand Forum--where Do You Live?

sbk

Which Province do you live in?   

348 members have voted

1. 1. Which eastern Thailand province do you live in?

• Rayong
    • Koh Chang
    • Chachoengsao
    • Chanthaburi
    • Prachinburi
    • Sa Kaeo
    • Trat
    • Chonburi--not Pattaya

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Old thread... but hey!... it's ongoing news.

Live in the small fishing village BanPhe. BanPhe is best known for being the water gateway to Koh Samet island. Has several piers where there are water taxi's and ferry's to make the short trip. Not a bad place once you get over the drying fish smell from the sellers stands that line the main Soi catering to tourists.

Primary local income derived from fishing, catering to along with transporting tourists.Good to above average restaurants in the area, Tesco-Lotus, local shops, along with a seaside Aquarium that is worth taking the time to view. Nice beaches that are clean and uncrowded just past the southeastern end of the city. Good local markets which open up several times a week. Many foreigners live here full time from several different country's with most having Thai wife/gf. Two prices for most things. tourist and local. Not surprising really as this is a high volume tourist area with most tourists going over to Koh Samet for only 3-4 days. Transportation is great as you can quickly get transportation in and out BanPhe from/to most anyplace in Thailand. Rayong.. larger city.. (hospital, malls, etc;) is 15-20 minutes away by songthaew.

All in all, happy here!

Ban Phe and Ban Chang are areas we are looking at moving to. Preferably buying land (about 1 rai) and building a house about a km away from the sea. Have only found a couple of agents so any contacts will be useful.

Ban Phe and Ban Chang are areas we are looking at moving to. Preferably buying land (about 1 rai) and building a house about a km away from the sea. Have only found a couple of agents so any contacts will be useful.

Many 1 Rai land parcels being sold for building sites all around BanPhe/Rayong area, 1km or less from the sea. Average price seems to be 1M bht although I have seen several selling for less in the past year as sales have slowed. Many agent's here but my suggestion would be to make the trip, talk to several agent's, look around on your own, rather than lock into an agent's listed property's. Plenty available to see by word of mouth and of course better "deals" can be had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,I don't know where to post this but its in Eastern Thailand (Sakhon Nakhon). There's been a lot of rain lately .my GF didn't call the other day because she said she couldn't because of the "big rains". I don't know if I believe her. Is this a common occurrence in Sakhon Nakhon Issan,that the cell phone service go's out?

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Live in Na yai am, is closer to Klaeng but is in Chanthaburi province.

We have a Thailand housing authority house (she has) made some additions and is comfortable.

The area is good, close to beaches, markets are abundant and Chanthaburi isnt far.

A Big C has opened recently in Chanthaburi and a Thai Whatsedoo has opened on shukhumvit near the lights at the first Chanthaburi turn off from Klaeng

I am always up for a drink or chat so you can PM me

• 4 weeks later...

I just moved to Rayong a couple of months ago. It is an OK place I really enjoy motorbiking bown the coast. The locals are kind of stand offish not like living in Bkk for sure. It is nice not being surrounded by 14 million people the beaches are nice. It is amazing how you can get such decent housing down here too,

• 4 weeks later...
Just as I suspected no-one lives here except me! - or have I jumped the gun???

There are several around Chanthaburi area but they tend to keep a low profile. Most have moved from other area's and are here to enjoy the beach's, air, and just general great living standards.

Many farangs in Chanthaburi are there to buy gemstones.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this post, I live just outside Aranyaprathet. The name of the villiage is Muang Phai. Two years ago there were five expats as well as me, Canadian, American, Belguim, Welsh and British. Now there are three of us, death and bad health have struck. Anybody out there near Aran?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys....

any one in Tha takiap?

can someone help me with some basic info about the place - like living conditions, cost of living, studio apartments anything..... i u'd be moving to Tha takiap to teach there at one of the schools.

any info will be of great help as i dont see much on Google. thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys....

any one in Tha takiap?

can someone help me with some basic info about the place - like living conditions, cost of living, studio apartments anything..... i u'd be moving to Tha takiap to teach there at one of the schools.

any info will be of great help as i dont see much on Google. thanks in advance

Cant help sorry, I've been through it and apart from blinking and missing it its Thai countryside around it, pretty much standard Amphur town I think.

• 2 months later...

Just as I suspected no-one lives here except me! - or have I jumped the gun???

There are several around Chanthaburi area but they tend to keep a low profile. Most have moved from other area's and are here to enjoy the beach's, air, and just general great living standards.
Many farangs in Chanthaburi are there to buy gemstones.

Yep, it's a big Gem trading city. I am just getting used to Chantaburi,,as I spend a few days every week or so over there for work, makes a change from being on Koh Chang though.

I am in Klaeng, it is ok but not a lot to do . Near to Laem Mae phim though , so that is ok. Would rather be in Rayong though.

Understand there was a big fire that took a few restaurants out in Laem Mae Phim over the last Loy Krathong celebration. Have not been able to get down that way since Loy Krathong. Any knowledge what the area is like now? Rebuilding?

I am in Klaeng, it is ok but not a lot to do . Near to Laem Mae phim though , so that is ok. Would rather be in Rayong though.

Understand there was a big fire that took a few restaurants out in Laem Mae Phim over the last Loy Krathong celebration. Have not been able to get down that way since Loy Krathong. Any knowledge what the area is like now? Rebuilding?

Yeah it took out the first 10 or so restaurants as you come around the corner onto the beach road. hasn't affected anything elsr too much though.

one for people in Chanthaburi

I've met a few people here who didn't know of the Immigration Service Centre that opened in Chan city in October 2012. I only found it by accident when out cycling one day.

Previously I had to do a 110km return trip to Pong Nam Ron. Now just 25km. Last time was there 8.30am and away 8.40am. Small office just three staff.

It is located across the bridge from Robinsons heading towards the lake. I'll find the road name and post it here.

tumblr_mdgxtrzNXz1r8w5s5o4_1280.jpg

• 1 month later...

I prefer to go the other way as I dislike the traffic around Robinsons, however......

If you drive past Robinsons with it on your right, then continue up over the bridge then turn right at the T junction. INDEX shop will be on your left and some nurseries. Turn left before the road narrows and it is about 100m on the left side.

• 3 weeks later...

Tha Mai, Chanthaburi since 2006. Married. Do any members ever have a "Get Together" to meet? I know that times have changed since the budget cuts in the US,and other countries, and people losing their jobs. I think it's time for us to start networking. I really don't know how many expats are here in the East where I'm at, but I sure would like to meet just to get out of the house, and having an excuse that I don't know anyone out here, or the famous "No one speaks English for me to be out there." That drives me nuts. blink.png

Archived