Why Is It All About Diets Here ?

robblok

I just looked at the page here because i am too a bit overweight. I am trying to loose my weight by exersising and eating better. But i dont see anyone ever asking things about exercise programs here.

You can only loose so much weight by eating less. It might even be unhealthy to eat too less. The metabolism slows down and you gain your weight again. The best thing to do is exercise and eat healhy food. Healthy fats (eating no fats is bad for your hormone levels). So eating apitite expressors are not good unless you really eat too much. Things that make your metabolic rate go up like ephedra are better

Still im loosing fat slowly i would love it if there was an easy way. Im doing some cardio and weighlifting 4 times a weeks i make progress but slowly not as fast as i would like but its a hard thing to do.

So i just ownder why nobody isnt writing about working out running and such its all about tablets and medicine.

I am overweight and I do not check this forum much at all. I recall lots of comments here about exercise. I know posters here who, like myself, exercise a lot. I checked in for my quarterly checkup in May, three kilos lighter, and far less fat. But one week ago, first time in 65 years, I actually overexercised. Seven hours of very brisk swimming in two days. I took it a lot easier this week, but just finished another two hours this afternoon. Too much impact exercise can stress the muscles and bones. But no exercise would be dangerous.

I did not mean nobody ever talked about it, i just looked at the first page and almost saw nothing else then dieets and pills. I like swiming a lot but prefer to do it in the ocean. The pool in my village is shallow (i suspect most thai swimingpools are). I find 2 hours of swiming a lot, you got my respect for that i could not do it. With some training of course i could get a long way. The thing is with excercising is that you cant interchange it if your good at swiming that does not mean you can run or if your good at cycling (Neil Armstrong) you dont win at the marathon.

I excercise a lot too but weight loss isnt easy. I have even gained some kilos but they were muscle. I have over exercised at times too and of course you have to start slowly. I have converted one room in my home into a gym. I can do everything there because i got free weights and some cardio equipments. But that is not for everyone but a lil excercise goes a long way.

But i understand the frustration of loosing weight, i want to loose some fat (dont need to loose weight as such i rather not loose muscle) and it isnt easy at all. But so far i havent seen a pil that really helps on the long run. I do take supplements myself like fish oil and protein powders. They are only to supplement what i eat.

What i was talking about are the pills that make you eat less and get your methabolic rate to slow down. Then in the end your in trouble (unless you really ate too much to start with.

You can only loose so much weight by eating less.

You can lose all the weight you need to by eating more of the right things and less of the wrong things. Fat loss is probably 80% diet.

IF you start eating a too low amount you will get your body to go into starvation mode and you wont loose any more weight. Also you will loose a lot of muscle too. Personally i find it best to combine a good food program (did not call it dieet because in my mind that sounds too much like eating not mucht) and excercise. I think you should not exlude one or the other.

You can lose all the weight you need to by eating more of the right things and less of the wrong things. Fat loss is probably 80% diet.

IF you start eating a too low amount you will get your body to go into starvation mode and you wont loose any more weight. Also you will loose a lot of muscle too. Personally i find it best to combine a good food program (did not call it dieet because in my mind that sounds too much like eating not mucht) and excercise. I think you should not exlude one or the other.

I didn't say anything about eating too low an amount of food. I eat a lot of food and have lost a lot of weight. And exercise is definitely a factor--it's just not as big a factor as some would have you believe. I don't spend hours pouring out sweat on a treadmill or a spinning bike. I keep my high intensity workouts short, and my low intensity workouts long. Works for me!

I didn't say anything about eating too low an amount of food. I eat a lot of food and have lost a lot of weight. And exercise is definitely a factor--it's just not as big a factor as some would have you believe. I don't spend hours pouring out sweat on a treadmill or a spinning bike. I keep my high intensity workouts short, and my low intensity workouts long. Works for me!

I always keep my fitness routine short. Im om a four day split routine so i can do it real intensive. I have no problem working out like that i just hate the cardio stuff. I do it but i hate it. But i must say this time it is harder for me too loose fat (mind you not saying weight because muscle weighs more then fat). In Holland it was easier to get the right kinds of food. Here it is hard also because i eat 2 meals at thai restaurants a day. When you prepare everything yourself it is easier.

• 2 weeks later...
I did not mean nobody ever talked about it, i just looked at the first page and almost saw nothing else then dieets and pills. I like swiming a lot but prefer to do it in the ocean. The pool in my village is shallow (i suspect most thai swimingpools are). I find 2 hours of swiming a lot, you got my respect for that i could not do it. With some training of course i could get a long way. The thing is with excercising is that you cant interchange it if your good at swiming that does not mean you can run or if your good at cycling (Neil Armstrong) you dont win at the marathon.

I excercise a lot too but weight loss isnt easy. I have even gained some kilos but they were muscle. I have over exercised at times too and of course you have to start slowly. I have converted one room in my home into a gym. I can do everything there because i got free weights and some cardio equipments. But that is not for everyone but a lil excercise goes a long way.

But i understand the frustration of loosing weight, i want to loose some fat (dont need to loose weight as such i rather not loose muscle) and it isnt easy at all. But so far i havent seen a pil that really helps on the long run. I do take supplements myself like fish oil and protein powders. They are only to supplement what i eat.

What i was talking about are the pills that make you eat less and get your methabolic rate to slow down. Then in the end your in trouble (unless you really ate too much to start with.

Who is Neil Armstrong?

Do you mean Lance Armstrong?

Lance started out doing Tri's and was very good at them.

He's back to running now, and again kicking butt.

I am a former ultramarathoner who has taken a few years off. Now I'm just starting to get back into it. I'm around 20 lbs overweight and find it hard to daily slam out the miles. I remember that starting back is a bitch, I fight with my mind daily on what distance I should run, but keeping it very short for the first few weeks. It sure sucks too cuz the mind tells me to go further, but the body says to slow down fool.

I used to do "Bricks". Stacking bricks it's called..( thought up by a ultramarathoner friend of mine in Houston ) It's where the first "brick" is done in the morning, can be a slow tempo run of a certian distance, normally of only 60 minutes with some fartleks, then the second "brick" is done in the afternoon. Another short 1.5hr ( 90min) medium tempo, no speed play and the last "brick" in the evening or at night, and this would be a hard 60-75 minute run. Race pace, with a fast walk when tired, but continue to blast for 60-75 min.

5 day stacking and one day recovery run/rest and usually the Sunday for the long one.

Sure knocked the fat off ya and the endurance build up was increadible.

For race build ups, I'd wake up around 0230 and run until around 0700, then back for another 2 hours of sleep.

It felt good to be hammering away.

Who is Neil Armstrong?

Do you mean Lance Armstrong?

Lance started out doing Tri's and was very good at them.

He's back to running now, and again kicking butt.

I am a former ultramarathoner who has taken a few years off. Now I'm just starting to get back into it. I'm around 20 lbs overweight and find it hard to daily slam out the miles. I remember that starting back is a bitch, I fight with my mind daily on what distance I should run, but keeping it very short for the first few weeks. It sure sucks too cuz the mind tells me to go further, but the body says to slow down fool.

I used to do "Bricks". Stacking bricks it's called..( thought up by a ultramarathoner friend of mine in Houston ) It's where the first "brick" is done in the morning, can be a slow tempo run of a certian distance, normally of only 60 minutes with some fartleks, then the second "brick" is done in the afternoon. Another short 1.5hr ( 90min) medium tempo, no speed play and the last "brick" in the evening or at night, and this would be a hard 60-75 minute run. Race pace, with a fast walk when tired, but continue to blast for 60-75 min.

5 day stacking and one day recovery run/rest and usually the Sunday for the long one.

Sure knocked the fat off ya and the endurance build up was increadible.

For race build ups, I'd wake up around 0230 and run until around 0700, then back for another 2 hours of sleep.

It felt good to be hammering away.

I ment lance .. sorry you are correct.

I do high intensity training with weights now So far i havent missed a training in a few months. I dont loose weight too fast yet (gaining muscle but loosing fat so my weight stays about the same but look better). Soon i will adapt my food a bit more and then i will shed the pounds. Still i now love working out and it goes well. But food needs to be good too. That is my main problem because of eating outside a lot here in Thailand. But ok slow is good too as long as i get there.

Robblok

I think you are on the right track to losing fat.

High intensity exercise with a combo of resistance training and cardio is the best way to lose body fat.

If you also improve your diet then you are definitely going to see results.

Walking or running long distances are beneficial for general health but are no where near as good for fat loss and improving strength as is high intensity resistance and cardio done in short bursts.

Robblok

I think you are on the right track to losing fat.

High intensity exercise with a combo of resistance training and cardio is the best way to lose body fat.

If you also improve your diet then you are definitely going to see results.

Walking or running long distances are beneficial for general health but are no where near as good for fat loss and improving strength as is high intensity resistance and cardio done in short bursts.

I know im on the right track.

The main problem is my dieet, its hard to find the healthy food i was used to in Holland. I also eat 2 meals a day in a thai restaurant, over those meals i dont have much control. But im getting there its going slow but sure. My workouts are real intense and i love it. Put deadlift in my shedeual 1,5 half months ago and went from 4 x 8 with 70kg to 4 x 8 with 110. So that is going well. I have never ever done deadlift before and now i absolutely love the excercise. I have never seen an excercise that makes my hard pound so hard and i feel it all over my body (in a good way). Before bench press was my favorite and i have trained that and other excercises for a long time. Deadlift was just never done because it was never explained to me correctly why to do it and how. It was considered dangerous at the time.

Just finetuning my dieet now and a couple of months and i am sure to loose the fat. I dont use scales anymore just a tapemeasure because like i said im gaining muscles so the scales dont tell the whole story.

• 4 weeks later...

I love my morning runs, and consider myself doing pretty well now with my 60 minutes of sweat....but that sentence above exhausts me just reading it! haha. How many kilometers/miles were you putting in with that kind of time?

Sheesh!