I Just Knda Stopped...

HowardJohnson

I have been a steady 20 a day smoker for the last 25 years. from the age of 13 really.

Just had 1 year off when I was about 30.

I moved to LOS in Nov 06 and knew that it would be difficult to quit given the price of smokes here, compared to the UK and also the fact that smoking was not so restricted.

I didn't really give it much thought other than thinking that I should stop before I reach 40. The mrs occasionally had a moan but knew better than to push it too far.

I finished a pack of cigs on Sunday night and rather than panicking and dashing across to the 7-11 I thought i'd leave it until Monday morning.

On Monday I went to have my usual coffee and smoke and remembered I didn't have any. I thought I'd wait until I got to work.

At work I was busy and when I had a break I decided not to buy any.

I had lunch with clients so didn't have time to go to the shop.

after I decided not to bother as I was busy anyway.

At home, after dinner, I decided not to buy any and see how i felt in the morning.

This has continued for 3 days now. I am just making a concious decision not to buy any.

There have been moments when i have had the tightness in my stomach and thought about a trip to the shop. Especially when i have had a coffee or beer or just finished my food.

But I am relaxed and just taking 1 moment at a time.

Today is the 3rd day, which I believe is when the last of the nicotine leaves my body. If I can get through the next couple of days then i reckon i'll be ok.

I think the reason I am feeling relaxed is because i am not looking at it like I am quitting. I just decided to stop.

Maybe I will start again - who knows?

But right now I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Good on you mate. I had my last cigarette on Friday 6 June at 1255 after smoking a pack a day for 40 years. So far, so good, no cravings at all. The only downside is that my lungs have now decided to off-load all the crap that has built up in them and I find myself bringing up a lot of Phlegm. I am a little worried that I will put on weight as my appetite increases. :o

This has continued for 3 days now. I am just making a conscious decision not to buy any.
Maybe I will start again - who knows?

Instead of making the conscious decision not to buy any cigarettes transfer your train of thought to "I'm never gonna take another puff". Maintaining and exercising this train of thought will guarantee that for the rest of your life you will remain free of being nicotine dependent.

Good on you HowardJohnson nice one, i just stopped in January no patches , gum ,nothing and i tell you what if i knew 15years ago really how easy it is stop if you really really want to then i woul have done it then...

If you do decide to saty on the yellow brick road then before you know it it will be 1 week, 1 month, 6 months 1 year....

If you really want to stop you will never look back and you will never fail