Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

Are tehre any good retaurants in the area?

Somewhere nice to take the missus for a night out once in a while.

I only know Kanary Bay and Rainforest.

Any others of that ilk?

The best restaurnt in Rayong is Ollie's(sp?). It's located on the north portion of the traffic circle near the Sunsco filling station, north of Sukhumvit. Take Sukhumvit through Rayong, turn left at Soi 55. Drive north to the traffic circle (you'll see the Sunsco filling station on your right), take the left turn from the traffic circle, so that you are continuing in the northern direction, and it is on the right side of the street, just as you make the turn from the traffic circle. Ollie's blows away Kanary Bay or Rainforest. You can get New Zealand imported steaks for about 500 baht.

Beach house BBQ, Pala beach, bang chang, turn left at lotus bangchang and follow the road to you hit the beach. Very romantic setting, thai and international food. I like it ,but my opinion might be a bit biased.

• Like 1

Years ago used to go a seafood place just before Kanary Bay on the road from Sukhumvit. Never knew the name, but was right on a little creek, had indoor and outdoor seating. Food was excellent, but last time we went (probably 4 years ago) seemed to have gone downhill with a change in head cook.

TH

Beach house BBQ, Pala beach, bang chang, turn left at lotus bangchang and follow the road to you hit the beach. Very romantic setting, thai and international food. I like it ,but my opinion might be a bit biased.

Hey do you have better directions than go to the end of road at the beach?

I drive that way almost 4 times a week. When you drive down the road to Phala Beach from Lotius at the end you come to a small round-about that gives you the choice of left to the beach road or around the circle to the village proper.

Where is this BBQ?

No. 43 is the same as Kanary Bay (now Kantary Bay) - Best seafood (my opnion) along the same road is Laem Charoen Seafood opposite direction as Kantary Bay, view over fishery harbour. , higher price but worth it.

Anyway No. 43 Kanary bay buffet between 11.30. - 13.30 price approx. 270 thb are good value for money.

A great tip at Ban Chang - Phala beach: two danish guys has open restaurant at Phala beach "Bella Vista" it is diffecult to find, but just after Phala Cliff Hotel 700 meter on left hand when you come from Rayong side, turn left and drive along the beach, and you will get the most nice european/scandinavian food...only two thai dishes, rest is farlang food

• Like 1

No. 43 is the same as Kanary Bay (now Kantary Bay) - Best seafood (my opnion) along the same road is Laem Charoen Seafood opposite direction as Kantary Bay, view over fishery harbour. , higher price but worth it.

Anyway No. 43 Kanary bay buffet between 11.30. - 13.30 price approx. 270 thb are good value for money.

A great tip at Ban Chang - Phala beach: two danish guys has open restaurant at Phala beach "Bella Vista" it is diffecult to find, but just after Phala Cliff Hotel 700 meter on left hand when you come from Rayong side, turn left and drive along the beach, and you will get the most nice european/scandinavian food...only two thai dishes, rest is farlang food

Agree about Bella Vista best in Banchang worth trying to find it

Beach house BBQ - Turn left at lotus then follow that road all the way to the beach. When you hit the round about take a right and it will be the second shopfront on the left, look for the big sign.

It is very difficult to spot as you must walk through the garage then the kitchen to get to the courtyard on the beach. and dont worry about the lack of parking as everybody else in the village just parks on the road.

Open 4pm - 11pm, 7 days. International menu and thai food, but like i said its a romantic place to sit for awhile with a cool sea breeze.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I visited the Beach House BBQ last night--------------small and romantic as already mentioned. The service was decent and the food prep was good. The place is a bit small but Ok. Seems that in low season they may be closed on a day you would expect them to be open--------as in Saturday night? Closed for some reason.

What's interesting is now there is another choice just about 50 meters farther down the road.

A new place called "Old Phala Beach House Restaurant".

Just opened about 10 days ago. As for atmosphere it makes the Beach BBQ seem bland. The Thai woman owner and husband did a very nice job fixing up this 100 year old house into a nice Bali style restaurant with direct beach access.

We came on the place after eating so we had no appetite but we talked to the lady owner and husband for a bit. They are specializing in authentic Thai foods and have a husband/wife team for the cooking. We will certainly come back and give them a try. Most authentic and romantic place in the area. Parking area reserved in an open lot directly across the street from the place.

So from the small roundabout in Phala go past the BBQ place and another 50 meters is about right,,,,,,,,parking on the right and restaurant on the left.

We've had good meals too at the BBQ. Bella Vista has very nice food, big platefulls. Go to the same round about and take a left, about 3-400m on the right is a soi, Bella Vista about 500m down on the right.

:o:D:D

• Like 1

Yeah I have seen the soi to the Bella Vista and we will give it a try one day soon.

I have learned that the Beach BBQ was closed on the last Saturday due to an unexpected problem and that is not their "normal" procedure. I did not mean to imply that they were closed every Saturday. I hope to enjoy many nice meals there along with a cold libation. My first experience was enjoyable and I hope to have more.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the 'Old Phala Beach House Restaurant' tonight and were very impressed. The food was very good, the price was fair and the souroundings were excellent. It was a lot like being on one of the islands. The sea was only 30 feet away and the ambience was great. We paid less then 800 baht for a very nice meal and a drink each. Its quite small but that gives it a feeling of exclusivity. Highly recommended. We will be back there soon.

Wifey and I ate there early this week around 1830 and the tide was in and very nice atmosphere.

Dinner for two and a couple beer were about 600.

The waves breaking on the beach is nice. Not sure what the place would be like when the tides change as the water recedes way back and maybe the smell will be overpowering? Wait and see next time.

• 2 weeks later...
Beach house BBQ - Turn left at lotus then follow that road all the way to the beach. When you hit the round about take a right and it will be the second shopfront on the left, look for the big sign.

It is very difficult to spot as you must walk through the garage then the kitchen to get to the courtyard on the beach. and dont worry about the lack of parking as everybody else in the village just parks on the road.

Open 4pm - 11pm, 7 days. International menu and thai food, but like i said its a romantic place to sit for awhile with a cool sea breeze.

We went out tonight with plans to try the BBQ, as recommended here. To our suprise it had a sign outside saying 'Closed forever'.

Any idea what happened, other than it closing. Any chance of 'forever' coming to an end soon?

I believe the owner has staffing problems. Trying to keep a decent cook on staff so they decided to close and give it a rest.

Did you walk up the street about 50 meters more? Really nice new place called Old Beach House Restaurant,,,,,worth a try, we enjoyed it

I believe the owner has staffing problems. Trying to keep a decent cook on staff so they decided to close and give it a rest.

Did you walk up the street about 50 meters more? Really nice new place called Old Beach House Restaurant,,,,,worth a try, we enjoyed it

Yes, we went there instead. Although very, very impressed with the Old Beach Restaurant we wanted to try the BBQ after its mention here. Anyway we had another great meal at the Old Beach Restaurant in the very relaxing surroundings. I think that next time we are going to try one of the other places in Ban Chang that were also mentioned in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

others to try:

bid mai ( only written in thai on sign)

is a swiss chalet wooden log hut looking building with water running down the windows on a corner just before mosquito bar on road to ban chang palace hotel from police box junction

building on left

opens about 6.00 pm

nutcha's kitchen on right just past bid mai

romsons on namrin beach

rimtalay2 on beach rd heading out from payoon towards maptaput ( next door to purimas hotel- down and through along wall lit up with candles)

in rayong town - try Rayong Brewery-- excellent atmosphere with live music ( Tawan Daeng style)

or the Bang Kok - classy sea food place done out very nicely looking out to river

( just a bit further from Rayong Brew)

all the above are good with good atmosphere

When you hit namrin beach turn left and the restaurant with " open " in English is the first one you come to which is well built and set back up the hill off beach road. Owned by a Thai traffic cop and his lovely family. Daughter in US uni son in English syatem both speak excellent English and have helped with a clear English menu.

Fantastic food, good service, genuine people.

When you hit namrin beach turn left and the restaurant with " open " in English is the first one you come to which is well built and set back up the hill off beach road. Owned by a Thai traffic cop and his lovely family. Daughter in US uni son in English syatem both speak excellent English and have helped with a clear English menu.

Sorry i got lost on this one. Which restaurant are you referring to?

Sadly do not have the name to hand as back in HK. Road down from the 3 ( opposite Emerald GC ) all the way down to the welcome arch of the beach. Turn left about 200 yards, place set back from the road , always has sign open in English. When next there I will get the Thai named copied down..........

Edited by suiging

Haven'yt eaten there for a longtime but "No. 43 Kanary bay buffet between 11.30. - 13.30 price approx. 270 thb are good value for money." was very, very good....used to have lunch ther whenever I could.........not your usual buffet....lots of fresh dishes arriving all the time and a sushi chef.....(and what looked like the Chief of police and his entourage)

Sadly do not have the name to hand as back in HK. Road down from the 3 ( opposite Emerald GC ) all the way down to the welcome arch of the beach. Turn left about 200 yards, place set back from the road , always has sign open in English. When next there I will get the Thai named copied down..........

OK I can find it now from that description,,,,thanks

others to try:

bid mai ( only written in thai on sign)

is a swiss chalet wooden log hut looking building with water running down the windows on a corner just before mosquito bar on road to ban chang palace hotel from police box junction

building on left

opens about 6.00 pm

nutcha's kitchen on right just past bid mai

romsons on namrin beach

rimtalay2 on beach rd heading out from payoon towards maptaput ( next door to purimas hotel- down and through along wall lit up with candles)

in rayong town - try Rayong Brewery-- excellent atmosphere with live music ( Tawan Daeng style)

or the Bang Kok - classy sea food place done out very nicely looking out to river

( just a bit further from Rayong Brew)

all the above are good with good atmosphere

Can you be a bit more specific on Rayong Brewery in Rayong Town please. I don't know Rayong at all as I only moved to Ban Chang a week ago.

if you can get yourself to Bangkok Rayong hospital head east

go over the junction ( right to beach left to Suk)

go through the karaoke bars, nightclubs and shops

you're driving parallel with Sukhumvit and the beach but halfway between them for 5-10 minutes depending on traffic

until you feel like you're nearing the end/ old quarter ( close to the new Casa IV serviced apartments is)

it's on the left-

big buidlind, big carpark, neon sign red stripy badge/ shield

one thing to add is it gets kicking really late-- people arrive about 9,10,11,12

if you're there at 7 / 8 for a nice meal it will feel really dead ( it's a big space too)

be there late to enjoy it the most-- friday/sat best as that's when all the thais come to let their hair down and this really is a thai place-- very few farangs in here

Thanks.

Seems out of the way from where I am so it'll be a low priority visit until we've visited all the nearer places.

By the way do you know there's now a Tawang Daeng on the road down to PMY Resort.

On teh right just before the crossroads that's about half way down.

They took over an existing place but they don't have the microbrews there.

So on Friday night I took the missus out for our first meal out in Ban Chang.

We chose the Bella Vista as she wanted to see what Danish Food is like, but there didn't seem to be any and the menu was mainly Mexican and 1 Thai dish.

So we ordered Burritos and the small pork ribs. Small? it could have fed me for a week, I only ate half of it and took the other half home. The missus was similarly stuffed on only 1 of the 2 burritos presented.

Both meals were delicious and well presented and the plates were overflowing.

Price was reasonable but we could have done with half the food at half the price.

Only criticism is that the restaurant could do with some fans as the weather was a bit sticky and no breezes to move the air.