Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

I tried the Pizza House takeaway next to Tesco last night and wasn't really impressed. I think the best places for pizza in the Chang are the Offshore and the Camel.

My favourite places for Thai food are; Food garden (opposite the PTT and it has a huge tree), Chai talay (overlooking the beach near the Pala Beach Cliff hotel. Black Canyon and MK Suki at Tesco are nice for a change. The Purimas hotel can be excellent but the quality is a bit hit and miss as I've had the occasional dodgy meal.

Like a number of people have mentioned its a shame that the Beach House Barbecue closed down. I believe its for sale if any entrepreneurial TV member wants to re-open it :o

Wife and I tried the pizza near Tesco last night and I will say for my taste it is better than Offshore and I never had the Camel pizza yet so no comparison there. They have good service and cold Tiger. But they could use an aircon to cool down the place,,,,very hot and humid last night.

So, first time there for me was acceptable. I'd say a 5 or 6 on the scale of 1-10. 10 being superb.

• 2 weeks later...
When you hit namrin beach turn left and the restaurant with " open " in English is the first one you come to which is well built and set back up the hill off beach road. Owned by a Thai traffic cop and his lovely family. Daughter in US uni son in English syatem both speak excellent English and have helped with a clear English menu.

Fantastic food, good service, genuine people.

This restaurant name is Baan Bai Boon and there's now a big neon Pepsi sign outside it at the roadside. It's not hard to miss anyway as it's the only place along there once you've turned left onto the beach road.

Ate there last night and the food was very good and a good price too (400 Baht for a meal for 2 with a large beer) :o . Could become a regular as it's the closest place to my house that's been mentioned.

We ate at Baan Bai Boon last night. It was a nice eating experience. As we all know the weather has been really rainy but we got there at sundown and saw a nice sunset from the beach area. Then my mate and wife arrived so we had a nice meal for 4 with beer and water. Food was prepared well and served hot by the owner and wife. Total for 4 was about 1300 bt. We ended up in quite a talk with the man. I say we as he talked most to the two wives. My firends wife has had a very, very bad cough for the last few weeks and the lady owner took pity on her and gave her some fresh herbal tea to help and then they all talked about some medicine to help her.

The man also discussed his re-build of the place as I was especially impressed by the roof and other parts of the place. He completely re-did the roof with all imported wood and roofing as he had big issues with corrosion of the old steel roof structure. Looks good and done well.

The bathrooms were very nice and clean,,,,,,,,,,not the normal Thai toilets.

All in all the place was worth the visit and I am sure we will return again and again.

On another note my friend said he and his wife went to the Bella Vista last week and he was not impressed at all. He said he would not go back unless forced to. The food was only so , so and the prices were too much. Atmosphere good and service OK. He did not like the menu selections.

I frequent "Had Saeng Chan Seafood". Obviously it is located on the Had Saeng Chan beach (it mean Moonlight beach in Thai), right in the middle of "Kantary Bay" and "PMY".

IMHO, the food is the best that you can get around here. Price is very resonable as it cater for local market. It is a favourite amoung Thais, especially local and those from Bangkok. Plenty of parking. Our children like the playground here.

The only problem is that they don't speak much English. However we always get what we want with the help of some photos menu and sign languages. You will not find much Farang here, just occasional one like us. However this place is swamp with Thais during weekends.

They also have a resort over looking a shimp farm. Nothing fancy, just basic nice clean rooms.

I have managed to googled a link here:

http://www.hadsaengchan.com/Restaurant.asp

I frequent "Had Saeng Chan Seafood". Obviously it is located on the Had Saeng Chan beach (it mean Moonlight beach in Thai), right in the middle of "Kantary Bay" and "PMY".

IMHO, the food is the best that you can get around here. Price is very resonable as it cater for local market. It is a favourite amoung Thais, especially local and those from Bangkok. Plenty of parking. Our children like the playground here.

The only problem is that they don't speak much English. However we always get what we want with the help of some photos menu and sign languages. You will not find much Farang here, just occasional one like us. However this place is swamp with Thais during weekends.

They also have a resort over looking a shimp farm. Nothing fancy, just basic nice clean rooms.

My company has all its parties there. It's ok. Nothing great. Very average Thai food. They do have a very nice karaoke system for parties with a great PA system. Odille's is still #1 in Muang Rayong. Personally, I'd rather go to Mocha on Thaksin Rd., where you can order both Thai and western food. The owner speaks good English.

My company has all its parties there. It's ok. Nothing great. Very average Thai food. They do have a very nice karaoke system for parties with a great PA system. Odille's is still #1 in Muang Rayong. Personally, I'd rather go to Mocha on Thaksin Rd., where you can order both Thai and western food. The owner speaks good English.

The owner, a very charming middle age Thai woman, is also the Personnel Director of PTTChem. My company have a small business dealing with PTTChem, hence I got to know her and her resturant. Yes, they do have a few functions rooms and consistantly used for company functions and sometime tour groups.

I have already given her the feedback this morning so that resturant can be improves. She will look into it, but also did mention that company party business is very competitive, and budget is often very limited. Most company (especially tour group) go for the cheaper options of basic Thai seafood. Very few companies are willing to pay more for the better seafood options; like grill prawn and crab etc.

Never been to "Odille's" restaurant. Could you tell me the location please? :o

It is north of Sukhumvit, just east of Thaksin Road. Heading east on Sukhumvit, make a left turn at Soi 59. You will see a Susco filling station on your right, and a traffic circle to the north. Enter the traffic circle and take the north road (that's going the same direction from which you entered the traffic circle. Odille's is on your right, just as you exit the traffic circle. The traffic circle is at the intersection of Ratuhit and Choeng Nuen.

WikiMapia

Odille's serves imported beef from Australia and New Zealand, and sells the beef for retail as well. It is the most expensive restaurant in Rayong, so you might pay up to 500 baht for dinner. Inexpensive by Pattaya or Bangkok standards, but well beyond other Rayong restaurants.

Are there any Japanese restaurants or bars in Ban Chang - have Japanese friend visiting - need to find alternative to Pattaya

JGV

yes-

one 100m from jor koo hotel on sukhumvit same side (jor koo is close to tescos btw)

the other is on the pala rd (500m) down from tescos on the right-- it's located inside the Garden Serviced Apartments (called Hanna)

It is north of Sukhumvit, just east of Thaksin Road. Heading east on Sukhumvit, make a left turn at Soi 59. You will see a Susco filling station on your right, and a traffic circle to the north. Enter the traffic circle and take the north road (that's going the same direction from which you entered the traffic circle. Odille's is on your right, just as you exit the traffic circle. The traffic circle is at the intersection of Ratuhit and Choeng Nuen.

WikiMapia

Odille's serves imported beef from Australia and New Zealand, and sells the beef for retail as well. It is the most expensive restaurant in Rayong, so you might pay up to 500 baht for dinner. Inexpensive by Pattaya or Bangkok standards, but well beyond other Rayong restaurants.

Thanks for that. :D Will make a plan to go visit. Are reservations necessary?

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the Lor Gor restaurant during the week as it's famous for its somtam.

It's on the corner of the road that Baan Bai Boon is on. It looks nothing special from the road and it really isn't but they have 7 pages of somtam in their menu.

Seems they're famous for it.

Been there once awhile back but we had fish and something else. Must try the somtam.

We went to a place just inside the gate of the Sinthavee(spelling) housing viallage a few days ago. I have seen ads for the place out on the main soi 42 coming from Sukumvit.

I had a combo pizza and a few beers. The beer was good and cold!

The pizza was hot and tasteless.

I don't recommend it (pizza) at all and when we go back there I will try something else

When you hit namrin beach turn left and the restaurant with " open " in English is the first one you come to which is well built and set back up the hill off beach road. Owned by a Thai traffic cop and his lovely family. Daughter in US uni son in English syatem both speak excellent English and have helped with a clear English menu.

Fantastic food, good service, genuine people.

This restaurant name is Baan Bai Boon and there's now a big neon Pepsi sign outside it at the roadside. It's not hard to miss anyway as it's the only place along there once you've turned left onto the beach road.

Ate there last night and the food was very good and a good price too (400 Baht for a meal for 2 with a large beer) :o . Could become a regular as it's the closest place to my house that's been mentioned.

We ate at Baan Bai Boon last night. It was a nice eating experience. As we all know the weather has been really rainy but we got there at sundown and saw a nice sunset from the beach area. Then my mate and wife arrived so we had a nice meal for 4 with beer and water. Food was prepared well and served hot by the owner and wife. Total for 4 was about 1300 bt. We ended up in quite a talk with the man. I say we as he talked most to the two wives. My firends wife has had a very, very bad cough for the last few weeks and the lady owner took pity on her and gave her some fresh herbal tea to help and then they all talked about some medicine to help her.

The man also discussed his re-build of the place as I was especially impressed by the roof and other parts of the place. He completely re-did the roof with all imported wood and roofing as he had big issues with corrosion of the old steel roof structure. Looks good and done well.

The bathrooms were very nice and clean,,,,,,,,,,not the normal Thai toilets.

All in all the place was worth the visit and I am sure we will return again and again.

On another note my friend said he and his wife went to the Bella Vista last week and he was not impressed at all. He said he would not go back unless forced to. The food was only so , so and the prices were too much. Atmosphere good and service OK. He did not like the menu selections.

We went to Baan Bai Boon on Saturday evening around 5pm. The food was once again superb. I had the deer this time and very impressed. However, the place was completely empty even at 6pm when we left. I can't understand this as the food is great, the prices very good and the location and cleanliness very good. We always go quite early in the evening but the last three times we have been the only people there. It would be a shame to see it close.

Bloody demonstrations have left me stuck in HK and unable to patronize this great restaurant.

A plea to anyone who reads this.......PLEASE go there and eat. It's fantastic and I really need it to be open when I can return......PLEASE EAT THERE.

We went to Baan Bai Boon on Saturday evening around 5pm. The food was once again superb. I had the deer this time and very impressed. However, the place was completely empty even at 6pm when we left. I can't understand this as the food is great, the prices very good and the location and cleanliness very good. We always go quite early in the evening but the last three times we have been the only people there. It would be a shame to see it close.

I guess some people eat late.

I'm usually there on a weekday after 7 pm and there's a fair few customers going and coming.

If you head towards Sattahip, opposite Utapao there's a Muslim restraunt, that sells reasonable steaks at around 180 bt. Carry on towards Lotus Sattahip, just before, there's a Thai BBQ place 99 bt, the usual as much as you can eat. It's got a couple of kids play areas, karoake rooms and a selection of foods that's great.

After you do the usual BBQ bit there's another counter that has cooked fish, prawns, wontons, french fries, pancake rolls etc etc all for the inclusive 99 bt. 8 adults and 2 kids ate for a good few hours for about 1100 bt.

Sparks

• 1 month later...

Good thread topic - lots of options to check out when I'm back next.

Couple of places I'd recommend;

An alterntive Thai BBQ, about 200m off route 36, on the 3139 towards "brookside valley".

And a place on Had Seng Chan. It's a wooden style guest house, run by a swiss guy & his Thai wife, rooms are really nice and the food was excellent.

Still hoping to find a good (or any) Indian food around - my wife's got the taste for it after living outside of T/L for a few months, where "thai food mai aroy".

• 3 weeks later...
others to try:

bid mai ( only written in thai on sign)

is a swiss chalet wooden log hut looking building with water running down the windows on a corner just before mosquito bar on road to ban chang palace hotel from police box junction

building on left

opens about 6.00 pm

nutcha's kitchen on right just past bid mai

romsons on namrin beach

rimtalay2 on beach rd heading out from payoon towards maptaput ( next door to purimas hotel- down and through along wall lit up with candles)

in rayong town - try Rayong Brewery-- excellent atmosphere with live music ( Tawan Daeng style)

or the Bang Kok - classy sea food place done out very nicely looking out to river

( just a bit further from Rayong Brew)

all the above are good with good atmosphere

Can you be a bit more specific on Rayong Brewery in Rayong Town please. I don't know Rayong at all as I only moved to Ban Chang a week ago.

As you come into Rayong from Ban Chang you will hit some busy traffic lights with a sign for PMY. Turn right at those lights and head down that road for a couple of minutes. You will then come to a messy crossroads with a flashing orange light overhead. Turn left there and just carry on up that road (you will now be driving parallel to the main road from Ban Chang). There are lots of little bars and restaurants dotted along this stretch of road, some of them quite nice. Rayong Brew is about a mile up on the left. 'Bank Ok' is a further half a mile along on the right, set back a little. Keep your eyes peeled or you'll miss it.

Incidentally, if you had carried on instead of turning left at that crossroad you would have come out at PMY beach. If you turn left once you hit the beachfront road and drive a couple of hundred yards you will see a few open air beach restaurants/shacks. If you don't mind sitting on the floor (and have someone to decypher the menu for you) this is a cheap and enjoyable way to get fresh seafood. Listening to the waves lap on the shore as you drink a cold beer is very relaxing. Enjoy yourself :o

in reply to steve73 there is a new restaraunt on the ban chang scene!!

located virtually opposite the main entrance to eastern star golf course ( next to Pick and Pay minimart)

they do indian food- nan bread chapatis, curries, tikka masala, rogan josh, onino bhajis., dal, etc

and german/ european food, snitzel, sauerkraut, sausages, even english fish and chips, etc- a pretty good range

oh and i forgot to mention that in addition to the normal heineken, tigers, etc they have some german wheat beers

and opfcourse thai food too

bit pricey but good to have a new choice

located virtually opposite the main entrance to eastern star golf course ( next to Pick and Pay minimart)

they do indian food- nan bread chapatis, curries, tikka masala, rogan josh, onino bhajis., dal, etc

and german/ european food, snitzel, sauerkraut, sausages, even english fish and chips, etc- a pretty good range

oh and i forgot to mention that in addition to the normal heineken, tigers, etc they have some german wheat beers

We tried it the other night. Food was pretty good but they are lacking for the usual thing "good staff and efficient service". and the dining is right off the street and the traffic noise for me is unacceptable. No parking except on the side of the road that I could see.

We tried it the other night. Food was pretty good but they are lacking for the usual thing "good staff and efficient service". and the dining is right off the street and the traffic noise for me is unacceptable. No parking except on the side of the road that I could see.

Thats a shame. We were going to try it tomorrow. I can handle the inefficient staff, which is all part of eating in Thailand, but I don't much fancy being right by the road. I'll take a look tomorrow anyway.

I liked the fresh nan bread.

New version of the ''pound and penny'' was open last night at phala beach, intersting job they did of building it using converted shipping containers. I will check it out tonight maybe.

The "pound and Penny" is a winner. Nice family operation, generous food portions and good taste. Value for money, i had a sea bass for 150 baht that proberly would have cost 400 baht in other seafood restaruants down the beach.

Just a thai menu at this stage ,but everyone has good english so no problem ordering.

To get there, heading from ban chang towads pala beach, turn left at the intersection before the roundabout.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit confused, I went to the Beach House barbecue in Phala last night and it was still closed. I spoke to the owner a couple of weeks ago and he said he hadn't sold it yet and was still living there.

Are we talking about the same one, just passed the roundabout? I'll have a look again today as I'll be happy if it re-opens.

Cheers

No I think he's talking about the newer one just down from the BH_BBQ (Beach House_BBQ) called Old Phala Beah House Restaurant. We ate there about 4 months ago and as far as I know it's doing well.

The BH_BBQ has been closed at least 4 months now.

I also hear the Pound and Penny back off the main road is worth a visit or two. I have not been there myself although I pass by on the short cut to and from my new house build.

the old beach house is simple to recognise ( in thai Baan Gaow)

it is an old wooden structure with plenty of aged character and a red painted lower wall at the front with flowers painted on it

as you go through it opens out to a garden area onto the beach with a dried out thai longtail boat in the middle-

the other which is shut down and closer to the roundabout is in a concrete building

The "pound and Penny" is a winner. Nice family operation, generous food portions and good taste. Value for money, i had a sea bass for 150 baht that proberly would have cost 400 baht in other seafood restaruants down the beach.

Just a thai menu at this stage ,but everyone has good english so no problem ordering.

To get there, heading from ban chang towads pala beach, turn left at the intersection before the roundabout.

I can say we ate here at the Pound and Penny this past Friday night.

They now have an English menu that is limited but we ordered Thai food and it was very good. My wife complimented them on the Sea bass and the soup. Two Leo and the food for 2 was 460 Bt. Good deal and good food. We ate up top of the place and I see he will soon have a swimming pool in back. I hope his business is good and continues as our new home will be less than 5 minutes by bike.

Keep up the good work and to all check it out. You won't be disappointed