Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

Just too clear up a bit of confusion. Myself and wife had the Beach house BBQ untill we closed it early last year, I will get around to taking the signs down and painting the garage doors sometime. We are still pretty comfortable living there so i doubt it will re-open anytime soon.

There was a new beach house BBQ that opened last year a couple doors down and in thier wisdom decided to name it "'the old beach house bbq''. This restaraunt i belive is under new management and is still open.

My fav at the moment is 'ban bai boon' at nam rin, consistant good food at a resonable price.

Phayoon Beach it would have to be ""Çha Talay'" for my chilli mud crab. Phala, pound and penny is value for money and large helpings.

http://www.hadsaengchan.com/Restaurant.asp

I went to this one as suggested. Not bad. In fact it is very good. However there are no farang apart from us.

I can't recommend Hadsaengchan. I have been there about a half dozen times. I have no choice because my employer has many dinner parties there. Rayong has many good Thai restaurants, so why anyone would choose Hadsaengchan is beyond me.

For western food in Rayong, there is Odille's which has fantastic imported steaks at reasonable prices. Odille's is probably the best western restaurant in Rayong. Near Hadsaengchan, is Bistro 43 at Kantaray Bay, a fantastic Italian restaurant. There are two very good German reastaurants on Soi Sin, near the Rayong Orchid: German Butcher Arms and Sabai Sabai German. The coffee shop in the Star Hotel is also quite good.

I went to this one as suggested. Not bad. In fact it is very good. However there are no farang apart from us.

I can't recommend Hadsaengchan. I have been there about a half dozen times. I have no choice because my employer has many dinner parties there. Rayong has many good Thai restaurants, so why anyone would choose Hadsaengchan is beyond me.

For western food in Rayong, there is Odille's which has fantastic imported steaks at reasonable prices. Odille's is probably the best western restaurant in Rayong. Near Hadsaengchan, is Bistro 43 at Kantaray Bay, a fantastic Italian restaurant. There are two very good German reastaurants on Soi Sin, near the Rayong Orchid: German Butcher Arms and Sabai Sabai German. The coffee shop in the Star Hotel is also quite good.

I can see that your taste is more western, hence you did not quite a agree with me. I respect your view.

However my boyfriend (an Austrian-Malaysian) like this place a lot. Even though Leam Charoen is more famous, the food in this place is just as good, much cleaner, less crowd, and cheaper. The food here is strickly Thai and Chinese. No western food.

I am wondering why your company keep having dinner party there? About a half dozen times already? In my boyfriend's company, the employer ask the employee where they would like to go. The majority of the votes are in the hand of the local, who knows exactly where to go for good Thai food.

I can see that your taste is more western, hence you did not quite a agree with me. I respect your view.

However my boyfriend (an Austrian-Malaysian) like this place a lot. Even though Leam Charoen is more famous, the food in this place is just as good, much cleaner, less crowd, and cheaper. The food here is strickly Thai and Chinese. No western food.

I am wondering why your company keep having dinner party there? About a half dozen times already? In my boyfriend's company, the employer ask the employee where they would like to go. The majority of the votes are in the hand of the local, who knows exactly where to go for good Thai food.

Nope, I love Thai food. Hadsaeng is not very good. Sometimes I can't believe the crap that they try to pass off as food (hot dog soup?). The place survives only because it is located across the street from the beach. I won't go into the politics of why my company has its parties there, but that's what it is, politics, not food quality. Last time I went there, they served all the dishes without serving rice, and then served rice with the fruit desert.

Last time I went there, they served all the dishes without serving rice, and then served rice with the fruit desert.

For a chinese banquet, it will be an insult to serve rice (considered cheap charlie). Rice comes at the very end, just before the desert. As for desert, one of the most popular desert (if not the most) is sticky rice with mango.

Like you, I did not know at first until my boyfriend point that out to me. Most people who has not been in the Far East long enough will not notice this. To firm up this, here is link:

http://www.helium.com/items/807129-chinese-banquet-etiquette

Chinese Banquet Etiquette Tip #6: Don't Ask for Rice

Rice is a normal part of a routine Chinese meal, but at a banquet, it is different. At a banquet, the focus is on meat and vegetables. Rice is not served until the very end of the meal. If you ask for rice in the middle of the meal, it will come across as if you think the host has not provided enough food.

Source: Asia News (January 4-10, 2008) Splurge, Chinese Style by Jofelle Tresorio in Hangzhou

Edited by DaleBlue

I think Dale is right. I was told the same before. I know it does not make sense (at least to me).

Hadsaeng is not a Chinese restaurant, nor was this a banquet meal. I have been there many times, and this was just a service screw up. No excuses. There are so many good Thai restaurants in Rayong, that you can easily give Hadsaeng a pass.

I think Dale is right. I was told the same before. I know it does not make sense (at least to me).

Dale is spot on. Rice and noodles at the end before sweet and fruit. Rice/Noodles just basic fillers after the main courses served.

Dale is spot on. Rice and noodles at the end before sweet and fruit. Rice/Noodles just basic fillers after the main courses served.

Same same Indian food where the rice is mixed with the curds at the end of the meal.

2 new restaraunts ~ !

- Zum Adler (which is opposite Eastern Star Resort) right next to Pick & Pay mini mart. Bit pricey but its worth it with its German beers! Nice selection of german/western food. They even have indian food, but all are pre-cooked, still good tho.. Nice chilling atmosphere with good olden music. Service can be improved.

- Delicious Restaraunt (which is opposite Garden International School). Have not been there yet, but heard it was good.. Opened for 3 weeks already, so its brand new.. If im not wrong, the owner/chef is the old chef of Zum Adler ~ ! Apparently, she was fired @ Zum Adler due to the fact that she had a high temperament!! But thats just rumors! :o Worth a try..

• 2 months later...

Went to BuonaNotte the other night, it's down Thessabarn 56 (the road from the lights at Sukhumvit down to Nam Rin Beach).

Nice setting and good food at a good price with a mix of Thai and Farang foods and customers.

Portions are reasonable for a price of 150 Baht although maybe not large enough for a full Franag appetite (one Farang had ordered 3 items to himself!) but as I and the missus don't eat a lot in the evening it was just right.

How far to drive down 56? One click, two, more? All the way to Nam rin?

Should have clocked it shouldn't I!

If you come down from the lights it's the 3rd gap in the central reservation and make a u-turn and it's about 100m up on your left, just before the shop with the barbeque chicken machine outside.

It's before the new road intersection so if you get to there you've gone too far.

I tried Terracotta Coffee House on Saturday. It's just along from the Bangkok Rayong hospital towards Rayong. It's a nice setting and almost a Bangkok style restaurant. The Thai food and service was great and they have a good selection of cakes.

Saying that the cakes at Buonanotte are better. The chocolate cake, cheesecake and Oreo cheesecake are fantastic.

I tried Terracotta Coffee House on Saturday. It's just along from the Bangkok Rayong hospital towards Rayong. It's a nice setting and almost a Bangkok style restaurant. The Thai food and service was great and they have a good selection of cakes.

Saying that the cakes at Buonanotte are better. The chocolate cake, cheesecake and Oreo cheesecake are fantastic.

What the h*ll is a "bangkok style restaurant"..?? :)

OK, the road down from the lights at Sukhumvit to Nam Rin Beach is Thessabarn 58 not 56 as I wrote.

And Buonanotte is 800m down from Sukhumvit on the right hand side, you have to go down a bit farther and make a u-turn.

The cakes did look good but we didn't try them.

Soutpeel, Bangkok has some nice smaller quite upmarket restaurants. In the Ban Chang/Rayong area we have very few of this type of restaurant. If you try the Terracotta place I mentioned it has the feel/ambience of a small upmarket restaurant in Bangkok. The kind of place to take your wife for a nice meal.

Give it a try. Hope this clarifies things for you

Soutpeel, Bangkok has some nice smaller quite upmarket restaurants. In the Ban Chang/Rayong area we have very few of this type of restaurant. If you try the Terracotta place I mentioned it has the feel/ambience of a small upmarket restaurant in Bangkok. The kind of place to take your wife for a nice meal.

Give it a try. Hope this clarifies things for you

Never found an upmarket restaurant in Ban Chang or Rayong yet and been living there for 8 years...found a few ok restaurants thats all... :)

I tried the Blue Plate Special at the Beaver Bar today. The place cooks up a nice lunch plate. Today was a huge serving of meat loaf with a big scoop of potato salad and baked beans with some green veggies and rolls for 250. More than I could eat and taste was pretty good. The place has a nice looking dessert menu such as Blueberry Cheesecake and 4 different pies. No atmosphere as just a bar but the food looks good.

Whats the name of that Thai resturant in Ban Chang on the corner of sukvit road and the strip street, the one where they do all the cooking on the street, you know the one.

Well whatever its the best food I have had in Thailand, and soo cheap.

Another vote for The Old Beach House in Phala. Went last night and the (Thai) food was excellent, very cheap given the location, and a lovely ambiance. Service was great too.

Been to LorKor on Nam Rin a few times lately, as it is close to my house. Food is OK, but after discovering the superior food/ atmosphere/ service at The Old Beach House, at similar (or possibly lower) prices, I think we have a new 'regular'. It's only 5 minutes away so I reckon I can cope.

BTW has anyone tried the farang food at TOBH? It just doesn't strike me as the kind of place that could or should be doing western food.