Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

I don't think any great concern here. If the products that come out of the BB are what they were selling at the beach location they won't do much business. Has anyone seen any lines at the bus for a "burger"? Not likely and it will move on soon. I give it about 2-3 months.

The burger bus is now parked across the street from The Camel right outside Steve's Deli, serving up what ever on the street.

The burger bus seems to have an association with the DVD/Game shop next door to Steve's Deli, that is where they are parked and now have a couple of tables set out between the van and the shop, no customers that i saw though.

Edited by LennyW

I tried the small indian restaurant opposite Lotus last weekend (in those shops that face Lotus). Nice friendly Indian lady and a good menu. Good Tandoori chicken and also another chicken dish we tried along with the usual Naan bread etc. She said that they cook everything to order and it certainly tasted like it. Also do local home delivery. We will definitely return.

^Thanks, that reminds me. There is a new Indian restaurant on the main Sukumvit Rd between Banchang and Maptaphut. At about 6km if you're heading out of Banchang towards MTP, the Sukumvit curves sharply to the right, directly on your right is the restaurant named "Spices" with a large red chili pepper logo above the door. You will have to go to the next lights (next to Esso station) to U-turn back.

I'm not a huge fan of Indian food myself, but a few people I know have given positive reports of the food and service at "Spices". Seems quite a few Indian people working in the area are frequent visitors also. Worth a try if you like Indian food.thumbsup.gif

Edited by huangnon

^Thanks, that reminds me. There is a new Indian restaurant on the main Sukumvit Rd between Banchang and Maptaphut. At about 6km if you're heading out of Banchang towards MTP, the Sukumvit curves sharply to the right, directly on your right is the restaurant named "Spices" with a large red chili pepper logo above the door. You will have to go to the next lights (next to Esso station) to U-turn back.

I'm not a huge fan of Indian food myself, but a few people I know have given positive reports of the food and service at "Spices". Seems quite a few Indian people working in the area are frequent visitors also. Worth a try if you like Indian food.Posted Image

A friend went there on the weekend and is a fan of Indian food. He also said it was very good. It's now on my must try list.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Last weekend tried the new Indian restaurant "Spice" on Suk towards Maphtaput. Very nice food and well presented. Reasonable prices too. Would say its worth a try if you are into the "UK style" Indian food. Service can be a little vague but the manager appears to be on the ball and keeps everything moving. Everything tasted fresh with no hint of reheated curries.

• 2 weeks later...

After hearing people rave about it, went to Romsons on Nam Rin beach last Saturday - will not be back, very disappointed, lousy disinterested staff and the food was mediocre at best not the cheapest either, i was expecting great things but left deflated.

There is a far better seafood restaurant just 200m or so along the beach, on the left corner as you come down the Nam Rin beach road, far better all round IMHO, i can never remember the name of it though!

After hearing people rave about it, went to Romsons on Nam Rin beach last Saturday - will not be back, very disappointed, lousy disinterested staff and the food was mediocre at best not the cheapest either, i was expecting great things but left deflated.

There is a far better seafood restaurant just 200m or so along the beach, on the left corner as you come down the Nam Rin beach road, far better all round IMHO, i can never remember the name of it though!

I have been in Ban Chang for 5 years and was given the same advice hen I first arrived. '' go to Romson''. I went once, mediocre food and expensive. Have not been back since. Lot's of better seafood along the beaches. The farangs that go there obviously have spent a few hours on the strip first. Either that or they just don't know what good food tastes like.

• Like 1

^Romson is consistant. Food is not exceptional, but given the inconsistency and widely-varying quality and freshness of other seafood restaurants in the area, is why the Romson is always popular. Your statement that "farangs that go there obviously have spent a few hours on the strip first" is incorrect and snobbish also. I don't recall ever having a bad meal there, in over 18 years. I doubt that the place has suddenly turned crap overnight?

I think that the restaurant that LennyW is trying to recall is the "Baan Bai Boon" restaurant up the wooden stairs? Occasionally good, but start going too often and they start palming off poor food at you.. Same inconsistant standards and general disdain for repeat custom that characterises so many Thai businesses.

Edited by huangnon
  • Like 1

There is a new Indian Curry House on the Sukhumvit when driving out of Ban Chang heading towards Rayong. Its called Spices. Its pretty good although ironically my curry could've done with a couple more chillies and a couple of pieces of chicken were crap quality.

^Romson is consistant. Food is not exceptional, but given the inconsistency and widely-varying quality and freshness of other seafood restaurants in the area, is why the Romson is always popular. Your statement that "farangs that go there obviously have spent a few hours on the strip first" is incorrect and snobbish also. I don't recall ever having a bad meal there, in over 18 years. I doubt that the place has suddenly turned crap overnight?

I think that the restaurant that LennyW is trying to recall is the "Baan Bai Boon" restaurant up the wooden stairs? Occasionally good, but start going too often and they start palming off poor food at you.. Same inconsistant standards and general disdain for repeat custom that characterises so many Thai businesses.

Restaurants are a personal thing. What one person likes another will hate and that is what makes trying new ones interesting. Saying that the food is consistent but not exceptional could also apply to McDonald's or others like it. However that theory wouldn't make me want to eat there. As for the snobbish tag, last time I drove up the strip late at night there were two farangs fighting in the street and a rambling bunch of drunks elsewhere, so if my opinion makes me snobbish then I wear it with pride.

No wooden stairs - romson has wooden stairs up from the beach?

The one on the corner i am speaking about has consistently good food and very good service, not as you describe at all.

Talked to a few locals this week and they feel the same as i do about romson, over rated and over priced, a lot of them say it is nothing like it was so it seems it was good at one time, just not anymore.

So for anyone interested in the burger bus...... looks like it has finally found it's niche market, outside the technical college on Sukhumvit, open before 7 and the students are queueing up, lunchtime around 40-50 students there, they have a shophouse which serves as a seating area and it is so busy they have added more seats around the outside!!! Amazing.

The next generation of fatties are on the way!!!!

Oh well, vive le difference and all that. Having been ripped off and actually suffered food poisoning in more than a few different places in Banchang, the Romson has always seemed like a bastion of hygiene and fresh food. With clearly marked prices. Change a chef or manager though, and any place can start to go pear-shaped very quickly.

On a related note, i wonder if the recent large oil spill from Maptaphut last month has had a knock-on effect on the supply and pricing of local (sea) food?

• Like 1

I see there is a new Pizza place opening soon in the shophouses opposite the International School on the Tesco-Phala road. Guy's name is Ray and the place will be Ray's Pizza. Hopefully it will be a good pizza

Drove past there at lunchtime today, certainly seems to be all kitted out, big pizza oven at the door, was not open at lunchtime - any idea if it is open in the evenings or it maybe has not started yet?

I have been in Ban Chang for 5 years and was given the same advice hen I first arrived. '' go to Romson''. I went once, mediocre food and expensive. Have not been back since. Lot's of better seafood along the beaches. The farangs that go there obviously have spent a few hours on the strip first. Either that or they just don't know what good food tastes like.

Strange, I eat at Romson once a week and it is always very good. I have tried all other seafood restaurants in the area and they don't hold a candle to Romson imo. I guess everyone's taste is different!

I agree that the staff is completely uninterested and lazy but how is this different then any other Thai restaurants in Ban Chang. They all have pretty lousy service imo.

• Like 1

2013-09-21 11.53.16.jpg

By far the best seafood restaurant i have found in Ban Chang, consistent good quality, great staff - ticks all the boxes for me!

Where is it? We usually go to the one at the end of the road on Phala beach. Also never a problem.

At the bottom of the Nam Rin beach road, on the corner.

Anyone know of a place to get a good burger in the area?

I haven't found a decent burger since I moved here. It's driving me nuts!

NOTE: anything on the strip is off limits.

That's a shame as the Camel Pub and the Offshore (both non-naughty pub-restaurants) at either end of the Strip do excellent burgers..

That's a shame as the Camel Pub and the Offshore (both non-naughty pub-restaurants) at either end of the Strip do excellent burgers..

So I've heard but I'd rather not have that discussion with my wife again so Im trying to find some alternatives.

• Like 1

So I've heard but I'd rather not have that discussion with my wife again so Im trying to find some alternatives.

Please post info if you find something as I also avoid that area, although I am allowed to pick up take away from the Offshore.