Where To Buy A Camera

svenivan

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a new camera. The one that I probably will choose is the new Olympus SP-570 Superzoom.

But where can I find it in Chiang Rai?

The last camera I bought was a Sony DSC-V1 and I bought that in Ravis shop beside Overbrook 5 years ago.

So if someone has some info about this and maybe wants to talk me into buying another camera, please post!

I choose this Olympus because of the 20x-zoom, 10 mpixel, externela flaxh (hot shoe) and it has a reasonabel price (420 - 450 US).

:o:D:D

Edited by svenivan

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a new camera. The one that I probably will choose is the new Olympus SP-570 Superzoom.

The last camera I bought was a Sony DSC-V1 and I bought that in Ravis shop beside Overbrook 5 years ago.

So if someone has some info about this and maybe wants to talk me into buying another camera, please post!

I choose this Olympus because of the 20x-zoom, 10 mpixel, externela flaxh (hot shoe) and it has a reasonabel price (420 - 450 US).

Sven, are you sure about that price? That`s only around 15,000Bt :D

Sven, are you sure about that price? That`s only around 15,000Bt :o

Well, that is the price in US, that´s why I quted it in US dollars.

Price has gone down on cameras last 3-5 years. My Sony costed 34 000 baht 5 years ago. Top of the notch at Sony at that time. You got the best (not DSLR) for less than 20 000 baht today. And the functions, pixels etc are as double as good compared to 5 years ago. I wish prices of cars had the way of development. :D

I see if I can find it here in CR else I have to go to CM, maybe combined with a little golftrip! :D

:D:D:D

Edited by svenivan

Hi everyone,

Sven, are you sure about that price? That`s only around 15,000Bt :D

US$395

That's the higher version of my Olympus. I have the 500 because I don't need to zoom like a paparazzi but I understand your needs Sven :o

I have an idea! Since I also want the 570 and will go to Sweden in the end of the month I might let you buy my old camera and then I´ll get the new one, that makes total sense to me! :D

For some serious advice, the 570 is actually a really good camera even though you might want a bit faster shutter time. For anyone that isn´t a deadly serious out in the field photographer with enough cameras hanging on to you like christmas decoration it is a very good choice. User friendly and with enough options.

Yes, have seen this site. I have found a price in BKK for 17 990 baht. US seem to be the cheapest place for cameras for the moment.

That's the higher version of my Olympus. I have the 500 because I don't need to zoom like a paparazzi but I understand your needs Sven :D

I have an idea! Since I also want the 570 and will go to Sweden in the end of the month I might let you buy my old camera and then I´ll get the new one, that makes total sense to me! :D

Does not make sense to me!

Yes, I need a good zoom to get close to the birds. If they see me they run away, I mean fly away quickly! :o

So will you try to buy a new one in Sweden? Have a good time !

:D:D:D

Edited by svenivan

Hi Win, wish we saw a bit more of you here. :D

Hi "'sceadugenga", :D

Thanks for the invite, but have only been to Chiang Rai twice in the 18 years that I have lived in Thailand so do not remember much about it.

Will pop in each day from now on like I do on most of the " Thailand Local Forums". Although I work in Bangers and Mash I do not go into that forum maybe once per month if that, Central Thailand, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin sure go there all the time, Pattaya once or twice per week (on the forum only). :D

Best wishes to you all up there :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. To the OP good luck with the camera and visit us in the Photo and Art section on ThaiVisaDotCom :o

Hi Win, wish we saw a bit more of you here. :D

Hi "'sceadugenga", :D

Thanks for the invite, but have only been to Chiang Rai twice in the 18 years that I have lived in Thailand so do not remember much about it.

Will pop in each day from now on like I do on most of the " Thailand Local Forums". Although I work in Bangers and Mash I do not go into that forum maybe once per month if that, Central Thailand, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin sure go there all the time, Pattaya once or twice per week (on the forum only). :D

Best wishes to you all up there :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. To the OP good luck with the camera and visit us in the Photo and Art section on ThaiVisaDotCom :o

Well don't be a stranger, the doors always open. Nice and cool in the mountains as well.

Thanks everyone,

I found my new Olympus SP-570UZ yesterday in Big C, Chiang Rai, just outside the cashiers. The name of the shop is Big-Camera. They have all the brands, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus etc.

The price was 17 990 baht and there was no way to get it lower. I got a remote cable for free.

So far I am very pleased with my new baby. The zoom is fantastic, wideangle too, easy to handle, quite good menusystem, lots and lots of functions, a Guide-system helps you if you don´t want to read the Manual.

The only thing so far that I miss is the possibility to Zoom in my pics to check if they are as good as I want them. Now I have to wait until I connect to my PC to check in detail.

But I can live with that.

It will take some time to learn everything but I hope I soon can attach some pics!

:D:o:D

Thanks everyone,

I got a remote cable for free. and you will need it. Use a tripod with it when zooooooooooommmming at 20x

a Guide-system does not help you if you don´t read the Manual. :D

The only thing so far that I miss is the possibility to Zoom in my pics to check if they are as good as I want them. :D

As per the E-Manual Page 12

post-3770-1213622095_thumb.jpg

Press the one in Blue

Page 22

then zoooooom in :D

Hope this helps, if not visit us in

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=84

Kan Win, :D Oly E-3 :o

Been doing a lot of online & in person research for much the same type of camera for the past few weeks here in CM.

From what I have gleaned from it all is that the "superzooms" that is 18x or 20x are ok all round cameras but lose out quite a lot on photo quality due to their relatively small CCD sensors and other internals especially at the longer focal length.

Walked into Photobug main shop near Thapae Gate the other day inquiring into the Olympus 570 and other similar brands/specs cameras.

Was told by the rather abrupt salesman (the type that make you feel you are wasting their precious time by wanting to buy something from their shop) that "we don't have them" and that "none of the other Photobug stores have them in stock either and never carry them".

Funny as on the way out of the store I picked up their latest brochure - which listed the Olympus 570. As well as being listed on their website. I wonder just HOW many lost sales have occurred due to the salespersons attitudes in that place.

I decided if I were to buy one of that type it would be this http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_review...ji_s8000fd.html

- cheaper than the Olympus, Nikon & pretty much same quality photos, specs, zoom and feels better with the larger grip and ergonomics.

For only a few thousand baht more you can get one of these http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/adva...pix-s100fs.aspx which seems to fill the gap between an interchangeable lens DSLR and the smaller in size 18-20x zoom cameras.

The one mentioned above "only" has the max zoom at 14.3x though, with its non removable lens. But much better overall photo quality & specs in a bigger body/lens.

Decisions decisions!

Been doing a lot of online & in person research for much the same type of camera for the past few weeks here in CM.

From what I have gleaned from it all is that the "superzooms" that is 18x or 20x are ok all round cameras but lose out quite a lot on photo quality due to their relatively small CCD sensors and other internals especially at the longer focal length.

Walked into Photobug main shop near Thapae Gate the other day inquiring into the Olympus 570 and other similar brands/specs cameras.

Was told by the rather abrupt salesman (the type that make you feel you are wasting their precious time by wanting to buy something from their shop) that "we don't have them" and that "none of the other Photobug stores have them in stock either and never carry them".

Funny as on the way out of the store I picked up their latest brochure - which listed the Olympus 570. As well as being listed on their website. I wonder just HOW many lost sales have occurred due to the salespersons attitudes in that place.

I decided if I were to buy one of that type it would be this http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_review...ji_s8000fd.html

- cheaper than the Olympus, Nikon & pretty much same quality photos, specs, zoom and feels better with the larger grip and ergonomics.

For only a few thousand baht more you can get one of these http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/adva...pix-s100fs.aspx which seems to fill the gap between an interchangeable lens DSLR and the smaller in size 18-20x zoom cameras.

The one mentioned above "only" has the max zoom at 14.3x though, with its non removable lens. But much better overall photo quality & specs in a bigger body/lens.

Decisions decisions!

I've been to Photbug a few times and both times didn't feel welcome or respected as a customer there.

When it comes to Fujifilm cameras, I bought mine at Makro in CR and it is a model S9500. I am very happy with it. And I compared the price and it was excellent. At the time, there were some reviews that had come out criticizing the CCD in some way and the focus mechanism or something. I checked out the one in the store and it was fine. So, I bought it. That was May 2006. I've used it seriously since then and have had no problems. It has a 28 to 300 zoom (35mm SLR equiv.) and that has also been enough. It was the second reason I bought the camera. The main reason I bought the camera was its feel. No matter what the specs are, I won't buy a camera if it doesn't fit my hands comfortably. I highly recommend Fuji if you don't need to have interchangeable lenses.

Thanks everyone,

I got a remote cable for free. and you will need it. Use a tripod with it when zooooooooooommmming at 20x

a Guide-system does not help you if you don´t read the Manual. :D

The only thing so far that I miss is the possibility to Zoom in my pics to check if they are as good as I want them. :D

As per the E-Manual Page 12

Press the one in Blue

Page 22

then zoooooom in :D

Hope this helps, if not visit us in

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=84

Kan Win, :D Oly E-3 :o

Hey Kan Win, you made my day! I don´t know how I could miss the info. I read the Manual before I bought the camera (downloaded fron Olympus website) and I read the the one in the box after I bought it.

Now I have nothing to complain about ( how boring! :D ).

I will visit the Photoforum!

See you !

:D:DB)

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Today I went to Big Camera in Big C and couldn´t see the Olympus SP570 model anymore. Well, I didn´t actually ask but saw that instead they had the new E510 model. Now, regarding the two of them I would only buy the E510 in order to break Sven with a newer technofantasmo gadget.

I will check on them tomorrow again and have chat but meanwhile I ask for other dealers in CR. I know of Chiang Rai Camera but he is mostly good for second hand cameras and fixing them although he can get new compact cameras from Panthip Plaza in Bangkok if you´re interested.

Is it the Ruamit Thawai Road that is after the general hospital road (sathan payaban road) going south on Phahonyothin? In that case the shop is just in the north corner of the T-junction of phahonyothin and ruamit. I don't think there is a sign in English, the shop is small and I'm not even sure if the guy speaks English. To make things even more complicated there is only one name in English on his business card and that's "Measuay Camera" so make sure you look for that if the Thai script is beyond your literacy.

He had a lot of Canon EOS D20 for sale apparently but since I'm a Olympus guy I could not take his offer. Worth mentioning is that I have never bought anything there but wanted to check it out today since Big Camera didn't have what I was looking for.

i am on my way to thailand at the end of september. staying in bankok for two days. i would like to buy the canon eos 450d camera with lens. is anybody able to tell me how much one would set me back. i have heard that the best place to find one with international guarantee is at pantip plaza? any thoughts on this matter

:o

Check your price in your home country then see if you can get a tax refund on it when you leave the country. Australians get the 10% GST back and if you got a good price locally it would be hard to beat in Thailand.

Plus if you have a problem there's no difficulty with the guarantee.

let me give you an idea as to the price of and eos 450d camera. in rands its R8999.00. in dollars that would be 1139 round about and in baht that would be the equvilant to 37799,99bht. wouldnt i be able to pick up an oes 450d for under 30000.00 bht.

• 4 months later...
Is it the Ruamit Thawai Road that is after the general hospital road (sathan payaban road) going south on Phahonyothin? In that case the shop is just in the north corner of the T-junction of phahonyothin and ruamit. I don't think there is a sign in English, the shop is small and I'm not even sure if the guy speaks English. To make things even more complicated there is only one name in English on his business card and that's "Measuay Camera" so make sure you look for that if the Thai script is beyond your literacy.

He had a lot of Canon EOS D20 for sale apparently but since I'm a Olympus guy I could not take his offer. Worth mentioning is that I have never bought anything there but wanted to check it out today since Big Camera didn't have what I was looking for.

I called in and saw this guy earlier this week as I'm looking for a new camera and he speaks reasonable English.

He never had a new camera in the shop but offered to have any camera I wanted there in two days and beat anyone elses prices by 2000 to 3000 baht. (Not sure on what initial value but we were talking compact digitals).

Unfortunately I forgot to get his phone number so I'll have to make up a list of what I fancy and get the current prices to compare.

I'm leaving the country next month and am tempted to wait anyway but I was curious to see how his prices were.