Fruit Growing

ray23

Bryan

Thanks a lot for your help. I need this EM because the soil in my place has more than 30 % clay. I planted grass and trees and flowers around my swimming pool but the manure treatment helps only little.

I am in Phanomprai, 60 km east of Roi et. I will come to Huai Phung soon.

Only 30% clay? We had a fishpond dug. After all the digging was done there was about three feet of almost pure clay from deep in the ground. Almost nothing grew, not even weeds. Manure and fertilizers didn't help much either. After about a year things started growing again. We had the same problem in areas where fill dirt was brought in. It was either badly depleted farm dirt, or had some kind of toxin in it. Same thing there, after about a year we could begin to grow something. Good luck. Maybe the EM will speed things up.

Bryan

You are right, the original EM stands for Effective Microorganisms. However, I have seen some copycat versions now. I think that must have been where I got the "enhanced" acronym. Which brings up another issue - quality, and I think the stuff has a shelf life too. I have had some go flat (no smell) when I didn't use it soon. I would also like to see some controlled studies done with it and maybe even some documentation.

Just for the record, EM = Effective Micro-organisms, although "enhancing" is a pretty accurate description of their value too. Cannisters are now commonly sold at agricultural merchants in most towns of any size, and once you've bought one, some molasses and a couple of big 50 L bins, you can carry on producing the stff ad infinitum witha bit of dilligence. Get your good wife to translate the instructions on the back of the can and you're away.

Plenty of uses and advocates nowadays, although never met anyone who has done a controlled experiment on their garden. anyone reading this tried a with/without or even better, different concentration trial on their veg patch? Interested to hear details.

Good luck growing peaches in Isarn.The trees may grow but will not produce blossum.

Any idea why they won't blossom, the weather here is very similair to the weather in the central Valley of California, although as a norm they do get freezes in the winter, which like here is a shot period of time. It is very hot and humid there in the summer. The soil certainly is not clay like,there.

Good luck growing peaches in Isarn.The trees may grow but will not produce blossum.

Any idea why they won't blossom, the weather here is very similair to the weather in the central Valley of California, although as a norm they do get freezes in the winter, which like here is a shot period of time. It is very hot and humid there in the summer. The soil certainly is not clay like,there.

Peaches, like apples and many other temperate climate fruits have a chilling requirement to bloom. check out this

FLA website on growing peaches. Seems that even the low chill cultivars require a minimum 250 hours of temps below 43 F. Not likely in Isaan.

Peaches, like apples and many other temperate climate fruits have a chilling requirement to bloom. check out this

FLA website on growing peaches. Seems that even the low chill cultivars require a minimum 250 hours of temps below 43 F. Not likely in Isaan.

Well that is not going to happen in Udon that is for sure, I wonder if Louie gets that cold long enough?

• 4 weeks later...
Even though this si the Isaan forum and no one has mentioned Isaan on this thread, I'd be mighty cautious about trying to make any kind of agricultural living in Isaan!

Us Isaaners are not exculsive folk and welcome input from one and all ! :D Especially if it is on the joys and vagaries of putting plants in the earth to grow (hopefully!).

As for making an agricultural living here, there or anywhere, I'd urge a lot of caution and a desire to put more back into the soil than you take out, before embarking on such a gamble. It's a way of life, different to any other profession, which is why it normally confounds conventional economic analysis.

As for interesting fruits to try in Isaan, i've seen a few people trying passion fruit ("sao-arot" (Thai) or "mak gatoklok" (Lao) ) with fairly promising results, and reckon it could be a top crop in the future. Somebody I know in Sakhon Nakhon grows it to make wine and has now started distilling it too into a pasion fruit schnapps. not a bad drop. However, I reckon it's best eaten fresh or squeezed and mixed with a bit of syrup/salt for breakfast. :o

Please excuse my ignorance Plachon but is there a difference between pomegranate-taptim in Thai ทับทิม and passion fruit? I'd be grateful if you could spell mak gatoklok in Thai as my relatives here in Udon province have never heard of it whilst taptim is common

Cheers, bannork.

• 3 weeks later...

Its taken some searching but I may have found an area that would work Loei, so now more research I think the temps would work in the winter months. I'll escape for a day here soon and check out the area

As for avocados in Isaan - I lived in Khon Kaen for many years and would go to this temple that had about a dozen HUGE avocado trees growing. The temple was about 20 miles south of the city on Friendship highway, then about 20 miles in off the highway. I'd go there occassionally to scrounge some fruit when I planned to make certain dishes.

So, avocados can be grown in the hot Isaan climate. I'm sure being in the temple though they get tons of water and good carrying for. I started a tree from one of the seeds one year and it grew a couple of feet tall before I left the country. We planted it in near our house. When I was there last year the tree was still growing - up a couple of meters now. If no one cuts it down it may actually have fruit in a few years.

Avocados in Isaan yes,but i've never seen a peach let alone a tree with fruit on in all these years.Where are they?

They are grown in the Chaing Ria area and several different types have been developed, originally they were of very poor qaulity. But with tons of reseach headed up by the King, the quaulity is much better now. They are being used to replace opioum as a product, since the farmer makes about the same amount of money. My understanding though it is very difficult to get the seedlines as they are in high demand, better for the area as to soil erosion, since the tribes there used cut a burn techiniques in farming, legal and profitable

• 9 months later...
Even though this si the Isaan forum and no one has mentioned Isaan on this thread, I'd be mighty cautious about trying to make any kind of agricultural living in Isaan!

Us Isaaners are not exculsive folk and welcome input from one and all ! :) Especially if it is on the joys and vagaries of putting plants in the earth to grow (hopefully!).

As for making an agricultural living here, there or anywhere, I'd urge a lot of caution and a desire to put more back into the soil than you take out, before embarking on such a gamble. It's a way of life, different to any other profession, which is why it normally confounds conventional economic analysis.

As for interesting fruits to try in Isaan, i've seen a few people trying passion fruit ("sao-arot" (Thai) or "mak gatoklok" (Lao) ) with fairly promising results, and reckon it could be a top crop in the future. Somebody I know in Sakhon Nakhon grows it to make wine and has now started distilling it too into a pasion fruit schnapps. not a bad drop. However, I reckon it's best eaten fresh or squeezed and mixed with a bit of syrup/salt for breakfast. ;)

Please excuse my ignorance Plachon but is there a difference between pomegranate-taptim in Thai ทับทิม and passion fruit? I'd be grateful if you could spell mak gatoklok in Thai as my relatives here in Udon province have never heard of it whilst taptim is common

Cheers, bannork.

ทับทิม is larger in size and the seeds inside look like gems, gratokrok (กระทกรก) is smaller and the seeds inside look dark and wet. There are 2 kinds of gratokrok differentated by colors, the first one is yellow (sweet) and the second one is purple (sour). I am in Udon too.

Kphon

Us Isaaners are not exculsive folk and welcome input from one and all ! :D Especially if it is on the joys and vagaries of putting plants in the earth to grow (hopefully!).

As for interesting fruits to try in Isaan, i've seen a few people trying passion fruit ("sao-arot" (Thai) or "mak gatoklok" (Lao) ) with fairly promising results, and reckon it could be a top crop in the future. Somebody I know in Sakhon Nakhon grows it to make wine and has now started distilling it too into a pasion fruit schnapps. not a bad drop. However, I reckon it's best eaten fresh or squeezed and mixed with a bit of syrup/salt for breakfast. :o

Cheers, bannork.

ทับทิม is larger in size and the seeds inside look like gems, gratokrok (กระทกรก) is smaller and the seeds inside look dark and wet. There are 2 kinds of gratokrok differentated by colors, the first one is yellow (sweet) and the second one is purple (sour). I am in Udon too.

Kphon

Thanks for answering bannork's question which I missed at the time. One footnote to this is that if you decide to plant passion fruit in your gardens, don't forget that you can also eat the young shoots as well, which go quite nicely steamed with fish. Am sure they're packed full of vitamins and taste quite good. :D

Kphon do you know if tubtim is a true Thai native plant, or introduced? It seems to be widely spread and in some of the remotest villages, suggesting it maybe native, but is strange that it is not more widely grown commercially. Again the native Dta kob (frogs eyes) fruit, which grows like shit lightening and tastes great, is crying out for someoneto grow commerically and be processed into jams, juices and other products, due to its high natural sugar content and long fruiting season. But needs inventive promotion.

Cheers, bannork.

Kphon

We bought a couple of taptim plants last year, as mentioned easy to find, but we couldn't find any kratokrok for sale, still the owner of the nursery in Bandung kindly gave us a couple of cuttings from their own plant.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name=plachon'

Thanks for answering bannork's question which I missed at the time. One footnote to this is that if you decide to plant passion fruit in your gardens, don't forget that you can also eat the young shoots as well, which go quite nicely steamed with fish. Am sure they're packed full of vitamins and taste quite good. :o

There's an article on Passionfruit in the Australian Womens Weekly Gardening section on this link that may interest the gardeners. It has loads of info on growing, eating etc.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/subsection_2.asp...nname=gardening

Forget the first link it does'nt work so its this one

http://www.fao.org/documents/

Hello there! Just got back from my friend in Nam Now and he has excellent avacados and Brush Nuts Macadamias from the LomSak Area doing good after about four years now. I brought some of the plants here 100 kilo north of Chaiyaphum near Phukieo. Seem to be thriving with a little water. Looks like the mountains are dryer but have morning dew also good for the orchids there.

• 2 years later...
sbk,

....I have a neighbor (Netherlander) who has a lemon tree. I haven't tasted one yet because it is just starting to produce. Should I try to find where he got his tree and let youi know?

If these are the yellow-skinned lemons then these are at a premium price-wise, and much tastier than the green, light green limes passed off as lemons at a ton a baht.Probably worthwhile planting the yellow-skinned lemons. :o

sbk,

....I have a neighbor (Netherlander) who has a lemon tree. I haven't tasted one yet because it is just starting to produce. Should I try to find where he got his tree and let youi know?

If these are the yellow-skinned lemons then these are at a premium price-wise, and much tastier than the green, light green limes passed off as lemons at a ton a baht.Probably worthwhile planting the yellow-skinned lemons. :o

It's quite interesting sometimes to resurrect 4-yr-old posts! I'm glad that I didn't take the advice of many and avoid farming in Isaan because "no-one makes a profit". I also grow lemons (yes, the yellow ones) and they are great.

• 2 months later...
I'd love to know how some of these growers in the area went on with their avocados and lemons, even the passionfruit.. any updates from the originals back in 2005??

post-499-1226114581_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the avocados from our trees... Have got a total of 65 trees, 25 of which are over 3 years old...Expect a bumper crop next year

Stoneman

• 3 months later...