BANGKOK 26 April 2019 09:19
Sign in to follow this  
StrongView

Why Do They Add Tones To Everything!

Dear Meatball,

I'd be grateful if you would write 'sa-lid' in Thai.

Yours,

bannork.

Dear Meatball,

Yours,

bannork.

I actually dont know how to spell it as I have only heard it spoken. I would *guess* that it is written ซะลิด ิ from the way they pronounce it.

It is actually possible that this is not central, but Northern Thai. If so, and there is a corresponding word in Central Thailand, chances are it is spelt สลิด ... Sabaaijai should know I suppose?

Update: I just checked my dictionaries for this expression, and since none of them have it, I strongly suspect it is a Northern Thai expression. To demonstrate how it is used:

1. Girl A smiles broadly to 'Simon' when he leaves and says with her sweetest voice

"I was delighted to meet you, Khun Simon. Take care na ja..." *flutters eyes*

Her friend, Girl B exclaims loudly

"Sa-lit!!!" or "Sa-lit dawk!!!"...

upon which they both giggle.

2. The radio is on and the DJ comes on after a Western song, announcing the artist and name of the song with an exaggerated American accent (noticeably making a major effort for it to sound 'cool'. The listener will exclaim "sa-liit sa-lit" (the ultrasonic reduplication we discussed here before)

Cheers,

Meadish

Dear Meatball,

Yours,

bannork.

I actually dont know how to spell it as I have only heard it spoken. I would *guess* that it is written ซะลิด ิ from the way they pronounce it.

It is actually possible that this is not central, but Northern Thai. If so, and there is a corresponding word in Central Thailand, chances are it is spelt สลิด ... Sabaaijai should know I suppose?

Update: I just checked my dictionaries for this expression, and since none of them have it, I strongly suspect it is a Northern Thai expression. To demonstrate how it is used:

1. Girl A smiles broadly to 'Simon' when he leaves and says with her sweetest voice

2. The radio is on and the DJ comes on after a Western song, announcing the artist and name of the song with an exaggerated American accent (noticeably making a major effort for it to sound 'cool'. The listener will exclaim "sa-liit sa-lit" (the ultrasonic reduplication we discussed here before)

Cheers,

Meadish

Hi Bannork and Meadish,

I know of three different things spelt สลิด 'salit' in Thai... :o

1.สลิด 'salit'=a plant with the scientific name of 'Telosma minor Craib'.It's called 'ka-jon' in the Central plains and 'pak-kik' in Isaan.The English name might be 'cowslip'(primrose).

2.ปลาสลิด 'plaa salit'=a fresh water fish.

3.In the Tai dialect=สลิด "salit"= จริตมารยา "jit-maa-ra-yaa=deceitful behaviour;deceptive conduct เช่น สลิดดก'salit dtok'; ร่าน "raan"=crave;be lustful;have strong sexual desire etc.

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;

Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware"

Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny"

Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Simple Simon says... :o

In the Tai dialect=สลิด "salit"= จริตมารยา "jit-maa-ra-yaa=deceitful behaviour;deceptive conduct เช่น สลิดดก'salit dtok'; ร่าน "raan"=crave;be lustful;have strong sexual desire etc. :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;

Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware"

Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny"

Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"

Simple Simon says... :o

In the Tai dialect=สลิด "salit"= จริตมารยา "jit-maa-ra-yaa=deceitful behaviour;deceptive conduct เช่น สลิดดก'salit dtok'; ร่าน "raan"=crave;be lustful;have strong sexual desire etc. :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Thanks Snowleopard, the dialect expression is definitely the one most relevant here. The meaning you have there is slightly differently flavoured from how I have heard it used here, but close enough that it's got to be the same word.

..........In the Tai dialect=สลิด "salit"= จริตมารยา "jit-maa-ra-yaa=deceitful behaviour;deceptive conduct เช่น สลิดดก'salit dtok'; ร่าน "raan"=crave;be lustful;have strong sexual desire etc.  :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

My g/f reckons จริตมารยา is pronounced jalid-man-yaa and means "to pretend" :o

..........In the Tai dialect=สลิด "salit"= จริตมารยา "jit-maa-ra-yaa=deceitful behaviour;deceptive conduct เช่น สลิดดก'salit dtok'; ร่าน "raan"=crave;be lustful;have strong sexual desire etc.  :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

My g/f reckons จริตมารยา is pronounced jalid-man-yaa and means "to pretend" :o

And the RID backs her up: จริต is pronounced จะ-หฺริด (i.e. [L]ja[L]rit) and มารยา is pronounced มาน-ยา i.e. [M]maan[M]yaa). I've omitted tone sandhi.

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

My g/f reckons จริตมารยา is pronounced jalid-man-yaa and means "to pretend" :D

And the RID backs her up: จริต is pronounced จะ-หฺริด (i.e. [L]ja[L]rit) and มารยา is pronounced มาน-ยา i.e. [M]maan[M]yaa). I've omitted tone sandhi.

Sorry folks,it was my typo. :D

I was in a hurry when I did the transliterations and was thinking about the prefix จิต "jit".

จิต "jit"=mind; heart; thoughts;which is found in words like จิตวิทยา "jita witaya"=psychology,and จิตใจ "jit-jai".

The other prefix จริต should indeed be pronounced "ja-rit"!

จริต "ja-rit"=conduct; behaviour; manners is found in words like จริตวิปลาส "ja-rit wi-pa-laat"=insane.

I'll be more careful with the transliterations now when I know lots of people rely on them,and I'm also fully aware of the difference between จิต and จริต in Thai. :o

Snowleopard.

And so we get ดัดจริต, pretentious or over-the-top, as in some ladyboys queening it down the street, oh so feminine! and some artists affecting a deep and meaningless pose with their latest incomprehensible creation.

ดัดผม is a perm or artificially curled hair so I suppose ดัดจริต makes sense as artificial mind or pseud.

bannork.

And so we get ดัดจริต, pretentious or over-the-top, as in some ladyboys queening it down the street, oh so feminine! and some artists affecting a deep and meaningless pose with their latest incomprehensible creation.

ดัดผม is a perm or artificially curled hair so I suppose ดัดจริต  makes sense as artificial mind or pseud.

bannork.

And I thought Tat Pom was Cut Hair......###### I need glasses

cut hair is ตัดผม gburns57au, it's the dt, not the d as in the perm ดัดผม, incidentally what is the au short for? Please keep it simple .

bannork.

Can someone explain to me why Thai's add tones to English words? 

Cause after a lifetime of having certain letters in certain combinations denoting how the tone is going to come out of their mouth, they aren't about to change cause you are having a bad day...... :o

Can someone explain to me why Thai's add tones to English words? 

Cause after a lifetime of having certain letters in certain combinations denoting how the tone is going to come out of their mouth, they aren't about to change cause you are having a bad day...... :o

Quote of the Day!!!! :D

cut hair is ตัดผม gburns57au, it's the dt, not the d as in the perm ดัดผม, incidentally what is the au short for? Please keep it simple .

bannork.

told you I needed glasses...couldnt distinguish the first letter....sorry

Au.....Australia.....

in the essence of keeping it simple.....I dont change ID with everysite....gburns57au is my screen name in all sites I join. :o