Boomtown - Rayong

cluezo

I've been living in Rayong for 12 years and have never seen such building activity! Hotels, apartments and townhouses are being built everywhere! Rayong is the richest city (per capita) in Thailand. Tough economic times loom on the horizon but you'd never guess it from this place. Even in my school, we've gone from one foreign teacher (me) to 17 foreign teachers.

Rayong is a wonderful, cheap place to live and the climate is great, being on the sea. Pollution, however, remains a problem with the oil industires here but it's not so bad. Sombody knows something that we don't. Some say that it's that Rayong is going to be linked to Ban Phe (Koh Samet) and Pattaya by a new highway. Whatever the reason, something big is going on...

I just moved into Ban Chang and shop in the Rayong area. I would agree on the boom in the general coast area here.

I went to shop at the Global House store yesterday,,,,,,,,,wow! What a huge store for the builder Great stuff and selection. Like shopping in a Home Depot in the US

Global House does have one weird quirk though---------------------->>>>>>>>>>they have a system of two cashier areas.

One cashier when you exit the tools and electrical supplies and then the main cashiers at the front door area. Seems a bit complicated to me.

But TIT

Edited by longball53098

Isn't it the boom in oil and the petrochem industry in the area?

More people are moving there because they're working there in the industrial estates.

And there's a healthy demand for housing for foreigners with the Korean and Japanese contractors in town. It's like back to the pre-crash 90's.

Global House does have one weird quirk though---------------------->>>>>>>>>>they have a system of two cashier areas.

One cashier when you exit the tools and electrical supplies and then the main cashiers at the front door area. Seems a bit complicated to me.

But TIT

Home Depot in Monrovia, California (busiest Home Despot in Cal) has the same set up. They require you make your tools purchase in the tools department. I guess it somehow reduces pilferage by customers and employees.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

I've been living in Rayong for 12 years and have never seen such building activity! Hotels, apartments and townhouses are being built everywhere! Rayong is the richest city (per capita) in Thailand. Tough economic times loom on the horizon but you'd never guess it from this place. Even in my school, we've gone from one foreign teacher (me) to 17 foreign teachers.

Rayong is a wonderful, cheap place to live and the climate is great, being on the sea. Pollution, however, remains a problem with the oil industires here but it's not so bad. Sombody knows something that we don't. Some say that it's that Rayong is going to be linked to Ban Phe (Koh Samet) and Pattaya by a new highway. Whatever the reason, something big is going on...

Source and/or link, please.

But TIT

Home Depot in Monrovia, California (busiest Home Despot in Cal) has the same set up. They require you make your tools purchase in the tools department. I guess it somehow reduces pilferage by customers and employees.

What??!! You mean people pilfer at Home Depot. Have they no shame?

This isn't a news article. Look it up yourself to see if it's true.

Cluezo - be honest , Rayong province is a dreadful place , right ? We all hate it so much we can't wait to leave . There are no green hills and lakes , no unspoilt beaches nor offshore islands. No nice shops . Nothing to do at all. Hateful ugly industrial city.

This is what you should be telling people :o

Cluezo - be honest , Rayong province is a dreadful place , right ? We all hate it so much we can't wait to leave . There are no green hills and lakes , no unspoilt beaches nor offshore islands. No nice shops . Nothing to do at all. Hateful ugly industrial city.

This is what you should be telling people :o

Yes. And build a "Hadrian's Wall" right across the Sukumvit Rd. @ Jomtien? :D

What a shame. The wife and I used to vacation in Ban Pe. We would rent a little bungalo and walk on the beach and never see another person. Probably the beach is developed all the way to Ko Chang by now. Well, we still have fond memories.

This is what you should be telling people :D

Harsh words... "hateful" city ... my, my. No green hills? No offshores islands? No nice shops? "We all hate it so much we cant wait to leave." Who is we? About 800,000 people seem to disagree and that's just the city of Rayoing. The Province...my god... paradise. BTW, please define and defend your "hateful city" comment. I'd be most interested in hearing it. "Hateful"? :o How is a city "hateful?"

Actually, thinking about it now, people always say Phuket is the richest province in Thailand and I would imagine per capita as well. Well, richest outside of Bangkok.

Edited by Jimjim

All you had to say originally was, "I don't believe that's true. Do you have a source for that statement?"

My original post was simply an abridged version of your recommendation with identical meanings.... but it remains unanswered either way by the OP, so the wording really doesn't matter.

Edited by sriracha john

It just seemed like some sort of demand which looked silly to me.

I did say "please"... :o

and I only requested because the specific poster seems to have a habit of making definitive, yet questionable, statements without any backing.

Edited by sriracha john

In the orginal post he talked about many buildings going up but did not say if these were being sold or not. In Koh Samui the property market collapsed a couple of years ago and hardly anything has been selling since yet the proerty developers just keep building and building and building. There are many rows of shophouses and villas etc all standing empty because there are no buyers. So is Rayong the same????

HL :o

seems that to be truly considered a boomtown.... it's missing the ubiquitous and clarifying monument to that status... the chic, new shopping mall.

until Rayong updates its sole mall, the dreary and aged mid-1990's Laemthong Mall, it can't be in the running for "Boomtown"

It's an ok town... with some great eating places... but it's building spurt is matched (and often exceeded) all up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

Edited by sriracha john

seems that to be truly considered a boomtown.... it's missing the ubiquitous and clarifying monument to that status... the chic, new shopping mall.

until Rayong updates its sole mall, the dreary and aged mid-1990's Laemthong Mall, it can't be in the running for "Boomtown"

It's an ok town... with some great eating places... but it's building spurt is matched (and often exceeded) all up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

Name some please.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194184

In the orginal post he talked about many buildings going up but did not say if these were being sold or not. In Koh Samui the property market collapsed a couple of years ago and hardly anything has been selling since yet the proerty developers just keep building and building and building. There are many rows of shophouses and villas etc all standing empty because there are no buyers. So is Rayong the same????

HL :o

Sounds like money laundering to me.

There are some 7 major project going on in the Map Ta Phut estate right now, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of USD 2 billion worth. At least another USD 2-3 billion on the East Coast is planed over the next 4 years or so. Also, there is another USD 2 billion or so worth of offshore work planned, with a lot of the fabrication taking place along the East Coast. Most of this is not foreign ivestment but Thai companies, tending to be at least partially owned by PTT.

The boom in the Oil & Gas industry is a wonderful thing.

TH

Edited by thaihome