Boomtown - Rayong

cluezo

I've been living in Rayong for 12 years and have never seen such building activity! Hotels, apartments and townhouses are being built everywhere! Rayong is the richest city (per capita) in Thailand. Tough economic times loom on the horizon but you'd never guess it from this place. Even in my school, we've gone from one foreign teacher (me) to 17 foreign teachers.

Rayong is a wonderful, cheap place to live and the climate is great, being on the sea. Pollution, however, remains a problem with the oil industires here but it's not so bad. Sombody knows something that we don't. Some say that it's that Rayong is going to be linked to Ban Phe (Koh Samet) and Pattaya by a new highway. Whatever the reason, something big is going on...

Source and/or link, please.

Here's the link http://hi5.com/friend/group/2465438--Rayon...522--front-html

I've been living in Rayong for 12 years and have never seen such building activity! Hotels, apartments and townhouses are being built everywhere! Rayong is the richest city (per capita) in Thailand. Tough economic times loom on the horizon but you'd never guess it from this place. Even in my school, we've gone from one foreign teacher (me) to 17 foreign teachers.

Rayong is a wonderful, cheap place to live and the climate is great, being on the sea. Pollution, however, remains a problem with the oil industires here but it's not so bad. Sombody knows something that we don't. Some say that it's that Rayong is going to be linked to Ban Phe (Koh Samet) and Pattaya by a new highway. Whatever the reason, something big is going on...

Thank you.

That figure they use of a per capita income at $30,184 is almost believable as it is 4 times the national average and exceeds that of countries like Japan, UK, and Australia. :o

Thank you.

That figure they use of a per capita income at $30,184 is almost believable as it is 4 times the national average and exceeds that of countries like Japan, UK, and Australia. :o

I think they mean THB not USD. Could be wrong - didn't mean to decieve anyone.

Cluezo - be honest , Rayong province is a dreadful place , right ? We all hate it so much we can't wait to leave . There are no green hills and lakes , no unspoilt beaches nor offshore islands. No nice shops . Nothing to do at all. Hateful ugly industrial city.

This is what you should be telling people :D

Harsh words... "hateful" city ... my, my. No green hills? No offshores islands? No nice shops? "We all hate it so much we cant wait to leave." Who is we? About 800,000 people seem to disagree and that's just the city of Rayoing. The Province...my god... paradise. BTW, please define and defend your "hateful city" comment. I'd be most interested in hearing it. "Hateful"? :o How is a city "hateful?"

Cluezo,

with ultimate respect, you can only be an american with that response, having not detected the sarcasm in Ray1167's post. I think he was trying to communicate that Rayong is actually a fantastic place, but to prevent more outsiders coming in and 'discovering' it, you need to tell them bad things about it, lest they decide to over-run the place.

Cluezo - be honest , Rayong province is a dreadful place , right ? We all hate it so much we can't wait to leave . There are no green hills and lakes , no unspoilt beaches nor offshore islands. No nice shops . Nothing to do at all. Hateful ugly industrial city.

Harsh words... "hateful" city ... my, my. No green hills? No offshores islands? No nice shops? "We all hate it so much we cant wait to leave." Who is we? About 800,000 people seem to disagree and that's just the city of Rayoing. The Province...my god... paradise. BTW, please define and defend your "hateful city" comment. I'd be most interested in hearing it. "Hateful"? :o How is a city "hateful?"

Cluezo,

with ultimate respect, you can only be an american with that response, having not detected the sarcasm in Ray1167's post. I think he was trying to communicate that Rayong is actually a fantastic place, but to prevent more outsiders coming in and 'discovering' it, you need to tell them bad things about it, lest they decide to over-run the place.

My hat in hand, I humbly apolgize for my abysmal ignorace. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? :D

You know the old adage: "the easiest person to sell a used car to is another used car salesman." I've been deep into sarcasm and satire my entire adult life but I sure got blind-sideded on this one! How embarrassing. As a relatively new member, I'm not familiar with Ray1167's posts but that no exuse for not reognizing the sarcasm in his "hateful city" post. I'm not gonna lie - I took it hook line and sinker. Now I gotta find a hole to hide in. :o

There should be one of little yellow faces wearing a duncecap.

Edited by cluezo

Rayong is nothing but a filthy, toxic, polluted shithole. This morning I found "Chirpy," my adorable parakeet dead - laying on it's back in his cage, his little claws stretched outward; his tiny, yellow body covered in a fine grey soot obviously spewed from the numerous, poisonous refineries which dot the lanscape of Rayong. This is the last straw - I'm getting out of this deathtrap of a town today - never to return. God help those poor bastards who have no way out.

That what I should have written. My compliments to ray1167. I salute you. Truly I do. You got me good!

Cluezo,

My hat in hand, I humbly apolgize for my abysmal ignorace. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? :o

You are forgiven.

And welcome to Thai Visa.

Cheers

Samran

You know the old adage: "the easiest person to sell a used car to is another used car salesman." I've been deep into sarcasm and satire my entire adult life but I sure got blind-sideded on this one! How embarrassing. As a relatively new member, I'm not familiar with Ray1167's posts but that no exuse for not reognizing the sarcasm in his "hateful city" post. I'm not gonna lie - I took it hook line and sinker. Now I gotta find a hole to hide in. :o

There should be one of little yellow faces wearing a duncecap.

Thaivisa. It's all about members helping members.

dunce.gifdunce_sign.gifdunce2.gifDunceBlock.gifdunce2.gifdunce_sign.gifdunce.gif

Edited by sriracha john

Thank you.

Well, I wouldn't quote "hi5.com" as a reliable source. It's a social networking site along the lines of myspace and facebook.

Most of the stats in that link appear to have come right out of wikipedia, except the per capita income. I can't find that one anywhere, but it could have come from a Thai source.

The closest figures I can find are from an article in the Nation newspaper dated 22 Oct 2007:

"Most Rayong residents earn an average of Bt691,093 per year thanks to industrial development, while Nakhon Pathom averaged Bt121,381 and the nationwide average is a mere Bt101,304 per person per year. "

"A study conducted by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has found that the quality of life in Map Ta Phut in Rayong province was well below that of other provinces despite having the highest per capita income."

Full article here: Life is bad in Map Ta Phut

(at today's exchange rates, ฿691,093 equals about $20,754 US)

.. Some say that it's that Rayong is going to be linked to Ban Phe (Koh Samet) and Pattaya by a new highway. Whatever the reason, something big is going on...

There's been talk for years of a causeway to Koh Samet, would cost a fortune,

at first it was a possible solution for potable water,

Wouldn't be the first time a major project was started only to languish for years is various states of completion, look at all the unfinished highway projects, pylons, ramps, in the middle of no where, connecting to nothing, ... :o

Harsh words... "hateful" city ... my, my. No green hills? No offshores islands? No nice shops? "We all hate it so much we cant wait to leave." Who is we? About 800,000 people seem to disagree and that's just the city of Rayoing. The Province...my god... paradise. BTW, please define and defend your "hateful city" comment. I'd be most interested in hearing it. "Hateful"? :D How is a city "hateful?"

Cluezo,

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kind of like what we say about San Diego. Worst weather in the USA (actually the best year 'round weather in the USA) you'll hate it here. Filthy beaches (actually gorgeous beaches like itand coast) you wouldn't

like it at all... :D:o:D

Harsh words... "hateful" city ... my, my. No green hills? No offshores islands? No nice shops? "We all hate it so much we cant wait to leave." Who is we? About 800,000 people seem to disagree and that's just the city of Rayoing. The Province...my god... paradise. BTW, please define and defend your "hateful city" comment. I'd be most interested in hearing it. "Hateful"? :D How is a city "hateful?"

Cluezo,

Is that actually irony? Something Americans have an even harder problem detecting then sarcasm. :o

TH

This is what you should be telling people :o

Agree 100%. Bloody awful place, stick to Pattaya. Much much better. Nothing for farangs to do. ALl the Thais hate ya and the lonely planer write is is oh so correct.

Yes, defo stay in Pattaya

No, no he definately meant it. Its an awaful place

Dont go, they eat babies there.

Stay away

Pattaya rocks

Rayong women all have VD

Cluezo,

• 1 month later...
Well, regardless, I'm not hearing anything that would convince me to move there.
Rayong is a very pretty province. I hang out in the country about 10 miles north of ban phe. Beautifull rolling country side, beaches with little beach bars, only 20 mins into town where everthing is on offer.I think one poster was being sarcastic in saying its rubbish here, its not. Yes rayong town is pretty ropey but only go there to go to tescos, land office, detist etc and it will be a lot more busy in next 5 yeara when all of this corporate money comes in.Personally I'm building like made!.

• 1 year later...

Rayong-shire seems like a very sensible place to aim to live if you can assemble together a proper job (perhaps connected to MTP or Amata City) for you and and maybe your missus, to be able to afford an international school for your children; and assemble a deposit for an international mortgage for a family house. It looks to have great potential to me... in terms of transport links, and infrastructure and quality of life ...though I'm becoming a bit worried about the rumours of pollution... summat to look into. I personally fancy looking for somewhere a bit inland, but still near enough to the good stuff (job and school) that the Eastern Seaboard has to offer. Dunno how it compares to Chanthaburyshire or Tratshire though!

cluezo - look up the word sarcasm in the dictionary . :)

Ray1167... no it was irony; sarcasm is when you mean it...

Sarcasm is bitter, cutting speech. Often irony is employed in sarcastic speech, but that speech is still sarcasm.

Irony, on the other hand, is speech or circumstance where something is other than what is believed or expected or normal.

...there are plenty of non-Americans who aren't au fait with the difference between the two... or facetiousness and sardonicism, but I weary of this persiflage!

source: "pedantry.com" :D

Edited by CaptainNemo