Gun

Amsterdam

Purchasing a gun

I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

• Dos anyone know of a gun shop in Buriram/Korat/Surin? Address or phone number would be great.
  • Is it better to travel to Bangkok to purchase a gun there?
  • Any idea what new run of the mill 9mm would cost?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by Amsterdam

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchasing a gun

I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

• Dos anyone know of a gun shop in Buriram/Korat/Surin? Address or phone number would be great.

When I spent a ;lot of time in Buri Ram I seen a gun Shop in the city.When you come around the traffic circle take the turn that is going toward the market by the lake. Keep going straight. It is on the left along some shops there . There is a popular noodle stand on the corner near there. Sorry couldn't be more specific but it was a long time ago. Saw some shotguns that why I remember. Sure the police working on the paperwork could help you out too.

LL

[*]Any idea what new run of the mill 9mm would cost?

What is the mill 9mm :D

...at a guess, a new, ordinary, common or garden no frills semi auto 9mm. Perhaps, a Beretta M9, Browning HP etc.

Guessing I did also...........but it did'nt make me wiser! :o

Purchasing a gun

If your paperwork is all good you may be able to get a secondhand or less popular 9mm for 40,000 but if you want a Sig or something nice you're looking at 80,000 plus baht. Thailand is not a good place to buy cheep leagal firearms, its 50% plus more expensive than America.

Your best bet is a Remington 870 Shotgun for around 30,000 new, if you get a chance to buy any descent shotgun ammo you should stock up as its hard to come by.

If you're shopping local go over to the local police range and let them know you have your paperwork and your shopping, they will be happy to let you know who has legitimate firearms for sale. You can also buy Thai gun magazines and people list second hand guns and companies sell new firearms through the magazines, of course you will have to buy in person in Bangkok down on Gun Row as I call it, the street with all the gun shops.

We will be having some pistol and shotgun events coming up in Khon Kaen in August if your interested, we also have some people to help those getting started who ask. Don't pay any attention to the anti gun trolls, about everytime anyone asks a gun question they get their panties in a wad and type up a storm.

Assuming that Bergen really hasn't come across this colloquial English phrase before, 'run of the mill' means ordinary or unexceptional. It is quite a useful phrase that has nothing to do with guns. In this context you don't have to guess too much, the writer is asking about an ordinary 9mm (pistol).

Assuming that Bergen really hasn't come across this colloquial English phrase before, 'run of the mill' means ordinary or unexceptional. It is quite a useful phrase that has nothing to do with guns. In this context you don't have to guess too much, the writer is asking about an ordinary 9mm (pistol).

Thank you very big - that clarifies my Q :D

I just did'nt understand the mill (millimeter :D ) before 9, and mm after :o

How can you own a gun in your wifes name??????

If the documents are done with the wifes name on surely its her gun and you cannot touch it as you havent got a license.Also i thought that farangs cannot legaly own a gun???

That's why it's put in the wifes name.............................. :o

Thank you all for the info. I think that on Friday I will check out gun row in Bangkok. As said I can not own a gun in Thailand but my wife can. I would never dear to shoot a gun :o . I like the shot gun for home protection but my preference this time is for a hand gun. I have checked on the internet what gun prices are in the US and done the conversion in THB. Here is my list of preferred guns.

Walther P99 THB 25.000

Colt 1911-A1 THB 25.000

Browning M1935 THB 20.000

Beretta 92FS THB 21.000

Taurus PT92 THB 17.000

I am curious to see if these guns are available on gun row. I am realistic that these prices are not the same in Thailand but maybe I should be able to pick one up for THB 50.000.

My preferred 9mm for maximum stopping power.

9mm luger Remington golden saber box 124grain HPJ(+p) 25 rds THB 831

Winchester ranger 147 grain SXT 50 rds THB 831

I don't know if I can find this kind of 9mm in Thailand but would be great to have. Once I have seen the shops in Bangkok I will let you all know what I find out there. I will also check out the gun shop mentioned in Buriram on Tuesday if I can find it.

Cheers

Amsterdam

PS: it is not my intention to start a debate about gun's. I only would like to find out and share information on where to purchase them.

If the documents are done with the wifes name on surely its her gun and you cannot touch it as you havent got a license.Also i thought that farangs cannot legaly own a gun???

So let me see if I understand this correctly.

The OP is requesting how he can illegally acquire a gun and people here are trying to help him.

I always thought that acquiring firearms illegally was a pretty serious criminal offence.

Will you be telling him how to make home-made explosives later?

When you keep saying i,you mean your wife.So you are just getting info for your wife but she has to have the gun of your choice.Everything is clear as mud now.Sounds like the gun is for you but you put it in your wifes name to get one.Is she having lessons or a professional gangster lol

The OP is requesting how he can illegally acquire a gun and people here are trying to help him.

I always thought that acquiring firearms illegally was a pretty serious criminal offence.

I am purchasing this gun legally. Please read all the post and not just one misguided person.

I am purchasing this gun legally. Please read all the post and not just one misguided person.

I have read all the posts.

As far as I'm aware it is illegal for a foreigner to purchase a gun in Thailand.

When you keep saying i,you mean your wife.So you are just getting info for your wife but she has to have the gun of your choice.Everything is clear as mud now.Sounds like the gun is for you but you put it in your wifes name to get one.Is she having lessons or a professional gangster lol

I think you understand me. The main point is that I can not own a gun but my wife can. So the logical step is to buy it in her name. The application has been done in the local city and is now gone to Bangkok for approval. It should be back next week. With the official gun permit we can purchase the gun and I believe that we are supposed to register it again in the local city. It’s all nice and legal.

I have read all the posts.

As far as I'm aware it is illegal for a foreigner to purchase a gun in Thailand.

that is why it is purchased in my wife name and not a foreigner as clearly mentioned.

My wife is currently training to compete in International Shooting Contests through the IPSC which has all its details listed here,,,,,,,,, http://www.ipsc.org/ . I suggest anyone reading this considering being involved with firearms be certain that while shooting is a sport gun laws in Thailand are not a game.

It is common for members of our shooting club (Local and Foreign Nationals) to enter contests shooting the weapons of other members including but not limited to their spouses both male and female. All our events and training is attended by Police and much of it is done at the Police Training Facility, all laws are taken into consideration and respected. I do not appreciate the way some are speaking as if this is some shady group of lawbreakers involved with breaking laws as it is not, we are 100% legal!

My wife is currently training to compete in International Shooting Contests through the IPSC which has all its details listed here,,,,,,,,, http://www.ipsc.org/ . I suggest anyone reading this considering being involved with firearms be certain that while shooting is a sport gun laws in Thailand are not a game.

It is common for members of our shooting club (Local and Foreign Nationals) to enter contests shooting the weapons of other members including but not limited to their spouses both male and female. All our events and training is attended by Police and much of it is done at the Police Training Facility, all laws are taken into consideration and respected. I do not appreciate the way some are speaking as if this is some shady group of lawbreakers involved with breaking laws as it is not, we are 100% legal!

I would be very interested if you could provide any documented evidence which states that a foreigner is allowed to own a gun. Just saying that members of the police are regular attendants at an event is not really the same as saying something is legal. The police can often turn a blind eye to things when they want to, but this doesn't change the law does it? If you provide any documents which state that it is legal for a foreigner to obtain a gun in Thailand I will of course apologise.

I am a member of our local gun club, in fact most of the long stay expats are.

The club is owned and run by the police, we can purchase a fire-arm, but not in our own name, and it can never be taken out of the club...... as it's illegal.

I am a member of our local gun club, in fact most of the long stay expats are.

The club is owned and run by the police, we can purchase a fire-arm, but not in our own name, and it can never be taken out of the club...... as it's illegal.

So basically, what you are saying Thaddeus is that while it is illegal for a foreigner to purchase a gun, there are ways around this? I don't think that the OP is interested in keeping a gun at a gun club anyway - at least that's the impression I get from his post.

Edited by garro

The OP's wife is buying a concealable weapon, which I assume she will be licensed to have in the house, I would assume that gun laws in Thailand are the same as most countries, the gun must be locked in a safe where only the owner of the gun has access. All is well until the owner’s husband accesses that safe and shoots someone who enters his house. In the eyes of the law using a gun if you are not the licensed owner is no different that owning an illegal weapon and shooting someone with it, so long as your wife is prepared to take a potential murder or manslaughter wrap on your behalf there is no problems, but if she changes her mind you are screwed.

I am not saying this because I am against gun ownership, but I am not keen on the consequences that come with the illegal use of weapons.

Yeah, that's the main point here: how can it possibly be legal to buy a gun in someone else's name and use it yourself? I'm not debating the morals of the issue, or whether foreigners in Thailand can own guns, simply that you can't just shoot someone if you're not licensed to carry a gun! I think the example of the sports club is off topic, since it's clearly not your intended purpose for the firearm.

Yeah, that's the main point here: how can it possibly be legal to buy a gun in someone else's name and use it yourself? I'm not debating the morals of the issue, or whether foreigners in Thailand can own guns, simply that you can't just shoot someone if you're not licensed to carry a gun! I think the example of the sports club is off topic, since it's clearly not your intended purpose for the firearm.

Having a gun license is not the same as having a license to kill. I am sure that if you walk around with a legal gun it’s not permitted to just shoot and kill people. My main point of starting this discussion is not to debate about the issues around gun’s but simply to find out where the gun shops are and what the cost of a new gun would be.

Amsterdam your OP said,

You seem surprised/offended that people are commenting on this statement rather than your questions - even though you are asking people to advise you on how to break the law.

I will admit to being firmly anti-gun ownership. but that is not the point here. I am sure even most of those law abiding people who admit to supporting gun ownership would be against people obtaining them illegally.

Edited by garro

The OP's wife is buying a concealable weapon, which I assume she will be licensed to have in the house, I would assume that gun laws in Thailand are the same as most countries, the gun must be locked in a safe where only the owner of the gun has access. All is well until the owner's husband accesses that safe and shoots someone who enters his house. In the eyes of the law using a gun if you are not the licensed owner is no different that owning an illegal weapon and shooting someone with it, so long as your wife is prepared to take a potential murder or manslaughter wrap on your behalf there is no problems, but if she changes her mind you are screwed.

I am not saying this because I am against gun ownership, but I am not keen on the consequences that come with the illegal use of weapons.

A Thai national with a licensed firearm is within their legal rights to shoot an intruder on their premises & rightly so. As the Farang husband using the Wife's weapon, probably better to ensure that you kill them (the dead can't testify), wipe the gun down & let the Wife claim responsibility. Unlike for example the UK, criminals have few rights & sympathy in Thailand.