Gun

Amsterdam

Have read this Post with interest.

My wife has a .38 revolver and her mum has a 9mm semi automatic. Both legal. These guns have been in the family since way back when there were communists in Isaan. I have two daughters and a sister in law staying and we all stay together on an isolated farm when we are in Isaan. From what I have read about young girls being kidnapped and sold into prostitution etc. I feel happy to have, as a last option, a weapon to defend my family.

I have no interest in firearms although I did some rifle training years ago. For protecting my girls I'd happily buy a few AK47s and maybe an M60. :o

The local villagers know we have guns as my Mother in law shot at a burglar years ago. I expect this acts as a deterrent.

What would others adise I do if a pick up pulls up outside at 3.00am and a few dobgy characters with guns jump out?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I will ask the first question i asked again .... to the OP.... why do you want a gun?

It's a fairly simple question and if you can't answer it without beating around the bush about ammo availability and questioning gun laws ..... well, you shouldn't really be allowed to have one.

I want a gun for home protection. A copal of rounds in the air will scare off an intruder. Shooting an intruder would be of last resort. But this is off topic and would rather stick to where to buy a gun what price and what model..

Given the difference in tone between your first post and then this one, please excuse me for saying that I think you are talking utter <deleted> in this instance. (<deleted> is a humorous word for testicles in English)

You want a gun because you just want a gun, and that's it really, I can practically guarantee that your wife doesn't want one for self protection and has probably filled in the paperwork under sufferance.

Copal that (sic) with the well reported facts that most crimes of house theft in Thailand occur when you aren't actually there or are asleep and don't get the chance to wake up before the deed is done, having a shotgun propped up in a corner, or in a nice display cabinet, is seriously a bad move, a really bad move.

Now please, just admit it, you fancy having a gun to shoot small furry animals and other harmless recreational purposes (sat) .... you shouldn't be allowed to have one .... a catapult will suit you sir.

In actuality it was my wife father who suggested the idea to purchase a gun for self defense and I thought it was a good idea. No the gun is not for him and will not be made available to him.

Now let me ask you this. The land you live on and the home you live in is that in your name or your wife name? although I don't know you I would bet that most farang who live in Issan live in a home they paid for but do not own. Is this legal?

I would love to go hunting furry animals if there are areas legal to do so. I would how ever not go hunting with a hand gun. This might be a good new post to ask where this is possible.

I don't want to go off topic any more on this but I will be happy to debate/discuss this if you pm me. For now in this forum I will only discuss GUNS and where to get them for a good price.

Cheers

I suppose the best people to get this type of advice off would be the part of the population that are allowed to own guns - the Thais. On the other hand though if you have a good relationship with the local community, one where you can easily go to them for advice, then it would be unlikely that you would need a gun to protect yourself from them. I think it is amazing how some of us can spend years in Thailand, sometimes in very rural locations, and not need to turn our homes into an armory while others act as if they were living in a wild west movie.

By the way, the argument which equates owning a gun with owning land is just silly. A foreigner can legally lease land here.

A foreigner can legally lease/rent a gun at a shooting range as well. SAME SAME.

This is off topic please pm me if you want to discuss further.

In actuality it was my wife father who suggested the idea to purchase a gun for self defense and I thought it was a good idea. No the gun is not for him and will not be made available to him.

He probably already has one,

Now let me ask you this. The land you live on and the home you live in is that in your name or your wife name? although I don't know you I would bet that most farang who live in Issan live in a home they paid for but do not own.

Correct, but a roof over your head is a basic necessity. (and the way you phrased that question is a good indicator that you have not spent that that much time here, here being Isaan)

I don't want to go off topic any more on this but I will be happy to debate/discuss this if you pm me.

I'd prefer not to thanks, I don't think that anyone should own a gun for recreational purposes if it is to be used outside of a recreational facility, you do, on that we will never agree, so there is no point.

I told you.......... :D .....well I'll stick to my swords.......and let my wife practise to hit bulls eye! :o

Now my wife dos not feel the need to go to a shooting range but is convinced that we should practice on our land (oops sorry don’t want to offend people her land). Now the land is large enough to do so but I am afraid that I will have to insist to going to a shooting range.

cheers

Amsterdam

By the way, the argument which equates owning a gun with owning land is just silly. A foreigner can legally lease land here.

A foreigner can legally lease/rent a gun at a shooting range as well. SAME SAME.

This is off topic please pm me if you want to discuss further.

It is not even remotely the same, the gun has to stay at the shooting range, which is where all recreational fire-arms should be kept.

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

I just found out that the permit my wife is obtaining is for a 9mm and she will be allowed to carry it around concealed. I was a bit surprised about this. I should know next week if the permit is approved. I will provide more info on how she got the permit if she gets it but it’s all legal and so far only BHT 800 has been paid.

cheers

What would others adise I do if a pick up pulls up outside at 3.00am and a few dobgy characters with guns jump out?

If you seriously think there's a possibility of this happening, I'd suggest the best way for you to protect your family would be simply to move to a safer neighbourhood.

Bringing a gun into your home brings with it more danger than it takes away in my opinion.

You want a gun because you just want a gun, and that's it really, I can practically guarantee that your wife doesn't want one for self protection and has probably filled in the paperwork under sufferance.

Can you tell us where you obtained these mystical powers to read the minds of people you have never met and probably never will?

Do you use a crystal ball, tarot cards, casting of bones or some other method?

Enquiring minds want to know. :o

If you seriously think there's a possibility of this happening, I'd suggest the best way for you to protect your family would be simply to move to a safer neighbourhood.

Bringing a gun into your home brings with it more danger than it takes away in my opinion.

There is always a possibility that bad things could happen, as crimes do exist,............. :o

but never the less I would like to know where "safe neighbourhoods" are to be found :D

Jeeeeze?????

The OP asked a simple question about acquiring a firearm. He wanted some input, as to where the best place to purchase a firearm was, and anyone's estimate as to cost.

The OP also stated that "they" had completed the required application for his wife's permit. "They" are doing everything in legal manner and are complying fully, with the relevant Thai laws!

I've a couple of friends in Phuket (farangs), who have gone through the same process and obtained weapon permits, for their Thai wives.

Obviously, the OP is seeking a weapon for self defense and home protection....9mm handgun. I agree with other poster's, that a shotgun would be a nice weapon for this purpose, as well.

I am planning a move to Isaan, within the next year. And, I plan on having the "wife" obtain a weapon permit, prior to taking occupancy there. It's legal, and it's mine and my wife's choice to do so.

Now please don't start in with the "well, you said YOU...a farang can't do this, blah, blah, blah"...and all of the "keyboard lawyer-ing, BS along with it!"

<deleted>, why don't all the anti-gun proponents here, start your own thread, and quit hijacking this one. Oh yeah, it's NOT your country, so it doesn't really matter what you think about the gun laws in Thailand!

Once again....the man (and his wife) are acting in accordance with Thai laws!

Edited by golfer

Jeeeeze?????

The OP asked a simple question about acquiring a firearm. He wanted some input, as to where the best place to purchase a firearm was, and anyone's estimate as to cost.

The OP also stated that "they" had completed the required application for his wife's permit. "They" are doing everything in legal manner and are complying fully, with the relevant Thai laws!

I've a couple of friends in Phuket (farangs), who have gone through the same process and obtained weapon permits, for their Thai wives.

Obviously, the OP is seeking a weapon for self defense and home protection....9mm handgun. I agree with other poster's, that a shotgun would be a nice weapon for this, as well.

I am planning a move to Isaan, within the next year. And, I plan on having the "wife" obtain a weapon permit, prior to taking occupancy there. It's legal, and it's mine and my wife's choice to do so.

Now please don't start in with the "well, you said YOU...a farang can't do this, blah, blah, blah"...and all of the "keyboard lawyer-ing, BS along with it!"

<deleted>, why don't all the anti-gun proponents here, start your own thread, and quit hijacking this one. Oh yeah, it's NOT your country, so it doesn't really matter what you think about the gun laws in Thailand!

That's the way golfer.............go for it :o

Incidentally, for the OP....the last time one of my "pals" in Phuket did this routine...he wound up purchasing a Taurus 9mm, through a store in Bangkok. (best place according to Phuket cops)

A relatively cheap firearm in the USA, but if memory serves me, I believe he paid in the area of 35,000thb.

That's about 3 times the cost in America.

There is always a possibility that bad things could happen, as crimes do exist,............. :o

but never the less I would like to know where "safe neighbourhoods" are to be found :D

No place on earth is completely safe, but some places are safer than others. These safer places are easy to identify as these are the places where people don't go around armed.

I would suggest that if you feel you need a gun to protect yourself, then you must be living somewhere dangerous.

If i ever felt the need that would be my signal to move elsewhere.

Hi

I always recall what I was told by a gunsmith in the UK when I purchased a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting.

I had to take a lesson first and the advice was you may be a lousy shot and there is nothing we can do about that :o But we will make sure you are a safe person to be around and know gun safety etiquette, as most gunshot injuries in the UK are accidentally self inflicted.

Now that was 20 odd years ago so the accidental inflicted may no longer apply but it is food for thought.

TBWG :D

PS: Is there a clay pigeon club in Buriram?

Hi

I always recall what I was told by a gunsmith in the UK when I purchased a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting.

I had to take a lesson first and the advice was you may be a lousy shot and there is nothing we can do about that :o But we will make sure you are a safe person to be around and know gun safety etiquette, as most gunshot injuries in the UK are accidentally self inflicted.

Now that was 20 odd years ago so the accidental inflicted may no longer apply but it is food for thought.

OOPS...Don't know what happened there!!!

Edited by TBWG

Hi

OOPS...Don't know what happened there!!!

You sure you did'nt get hit by a clay pidgeon :D

I am just saying that legally you are not allowed to even touch that gun, only your wife is!

Please show where the law states this, normally anyone can use a registered firearm if the registered owner is present, whether that be on a range or shooting cans on a farm. It may be different in Thailand but that is the way it is in most places.

That doesn't make any sense...what about this kind of scenario:

I don't have a criminal record and get a license and a gun. I have a friend who is mentally deranged and would never be granted such a license...can this guy legally shoot someone in self defense in my house with my gun just because I'm also there? It would seem to be a pretty big loophole that would allow people who would normally never be granted licenses to operate/shoot a gun.

And I'm not talking about shooting range rules, but about using someone else's gun on private property

Jeeeeze?????

Obviously, the OP is seeking a weapon for self defense and home protection....9mm handgun. I agree with other poster's, that a shotgun would be a nice weapon for this purpose, as well.

It may not be my country, but fortunately it is not up to you to decide who replies to what thread - that is a job for the moderators and unless you are undercover then you are obviously not one. While the OP may not like the replies the fact that people are replying keeps the thread alive, and so far he has not asked for it to be closed.

I am allowed to give my opinion that what the OP is doing is, at the very least, not in the spirit of the law. He is using his wife to get his hands on a firearm. His wife seems to have managed perfectly well without one in the past, but for some reason she now needs protection - I'm sure there is a story there. I believe that this way of obtaining a firearm is irresponsible, and I don't think that irresponsible people should be allowed to have guns.

There is always a possibility that bad things could happen, as crimes do exist,............. :D

No place on earth is completely safe
I agree! :D
but some places are safer than others. These safer places are easy to identify as these are the places where people don't go around armed.
I have'nt seen any place in Los where people walk around armed :D (Bib not included) so I guess that means everywhere is safe, - or not completely? :o
I would suggest that if you feel you need a gun to protect yourself, then you must be living somewhere dangerous.
I have lived here now for 4 years and never felt any threat, but that doesnt mean nothing will happen in the future. Precautions are usually a smart thing, as an example - it's a little late to get a car/house alarm after you've been burglared.
If i ever felt the need that would be my signal to move elsewhere.
I still don't know where these safe places are, so I'll just stay where I am. B)

Btw many people (Thais) in my area area have guns, some used for hunting and some not used at all. :D

The main reason is that the Cambodian border is only 10 km away, and not many years ago Khmer bandits regularly crossed over - to kidnap, steal and worse. :D

I am allowed to give my opinion that what the OP is doing is, at the very least, not in the spirit of the law. He is using his wife to get his hands on a firearm. His wife seems to have managed perfectly well without one in the past, but for some reason she now needs protection - I'm sure there is a story there. I believe that this way of obtaining a firearm is irresponsible, and I don't think that irresponsible people should be allowed to have guns.

What on earth gives you the idea the OP is using his wife to get his hands on a gun? He has said he needs it for home protection. Perhaps he is away a lot and would feel happier knowing that his wife and her family have access to a gun should they have intruders. What gives you and others the right to question his integrity? When he mentions the word "WE" I would suggest he is using the "royal we". Perhaps her educational skills are such that she requires his assistance in making the application.

But whatever - it is and should be of no concern to Forum members as to what the Gun is required for. He has stated many times that he only requires to know approximate prices and the best locations to buy guns.

What on earth gives you the idea the OP is using his wife to get his hands on a gun? He has said he needs it for home protection. Perhaps he is away a lot and would feel happier knowing that his wife and her family have access to a gun should they have intruders. What gives you and others the right to question his integrity? When he mentions the word "WE" I would suggest he is using the "royal we". Perhaps her educational skills are such that she requires his assistance in making the application.

But whatever - it is and should be of no concern to Forum members as to what the Gun is required for. He has stated many times that he only requires to know approximate prices and the best locations to buy guns.

Perhaps you should read the thread before replying. The OP clearly states, I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name. He has also mentioned, I want a gun for home protection. A copal of rounds in the air will scare off an intruder. Shooting an intruder would be of last resort. He has not mentioned that he is away a lot.

Well said :o:D

I have'nt seen any place in Los where people walk around armed :D (Bib not included) so I guess that means everywhere is safe, - or not completely? :o

I wasn't talking about people walking around with guns in holsters like in a Western, i meant having guns in homes/cars etc. So this is not something you would see, but if you live in an area you soon discover if this sort of thing is common practice. Where i live it's certainly not, and were it, like i said, i would move. If you guys are really intent on protecting your families, i would think you would do the same thing.

Jeeeeze?????

It may not be my country, but fortunately it is not up to you to decide who replies to what thread - that is a job for the moderators and unless you are undercover then you are obviously not one. While the OP may not like the replies the fact that people are replying keeps the thread alive, and so far he has not asked for it to be closed.

Well put, you can keep typing up a bunch of dribble and we can keep ignoring you.

This is typical in all the hundred or so threads about guns since the beginning of Thai Visa. Anyone that looks will find them all cluttered with anti gun babble from those who in all likelihood are clueless about Thailand, Thai Society, and what goes on outside of beer drinking and whore mongering at unregistered sleezy little bars where they can pay some poor economically disadvantaged individuals to listen to their unwanted opinions and feel superior for doing so.

Jeeeeze?????

Well put, you can keep typing up a bunch of dribble and we can keep ignoring you.

This is typical in all the hundred or so threads about guns since the beginning of Thai Visa. Anyone that looks will find them all cluttered with anti gun babble from those who in all likelihood are clueless about Thailand, Thai Society, and what goes on outside of beer drinking and whore mongering at unregistered sleezy little bars where they can pay some poor economically disadvantaged individuals to listen to their unwanted opinions and feel superior for doing so.

Oh my goodness, you certainly seem to have me pegged. If this is how you ignore somebody I would hate to see it when you give your attention. Thank you for providing a fine example of the type of mentality that is attracted to guns. Well done you. :o

Edited by garro

I would of thought that more than just forum members, it's of concern to society as a whole what it is people require guns for. No?

I would of thought that more than just forum members, it's of concern to society as a whole what it is people require guns for. No?

Agree in principle, but not in the context of this topic. It was a straightforward question anticipating an equally straightforward answer

That doesn't make any sense...what about this kind of scenario:

I don't have a criminal record and get a license and a gun. I have a friend who is mentally deranged and would never be granted such a license...can this guy legally shoot someone in self defense in my house with my gun just because I'm also there? It would seem to be a pretty big loophole that would allow people who would normally never be granted licenses to operate/shoot a gun.

And I'm not talking about shooting range rules, but about using someone else's gun on private property

So you made the original statement up then?

It's a different situation letting a mentally ill person use a gun as they probably couldn't be held responsible for their actions. I'm not 100% sure about Thailand but in the U.K for example anyone is permitted to use a firearm on private property if supervised by the registered owner. Shooting someone in self defence is a complete different matter, where you would find yourself in hot water even if you are the owner. There is no law saying you can shoot people, it's all about using reasonable force and there are certainly no regulations about who is allowed to shoot which gun to kill someone if the situation arises.