Gun

Amsterdam

It may not be my country, but fortunately it is not up to you to decide who replies to what thread - that is a job for the moderators and unless you are undercover then you are obviously not one. While the OP may not like the replies the fact that people are replying keeps the thread alive, and so far he has not asked for it to be closed.

I am allowed to give my opinion that what the OP is doing is, at the very least, not in the spirit of the law. He is using his wife to get his hands on a firearm. His wife seems to have managed perfectly well without one in the past, but for some reason she now needs protection - I'm sure there is a story there. I believe that this way of obtaining a firearm is irresponsible, and I don't think that irresponsible people should be allowed to have guns.

No sir, I am not a moderator on this forum.

But I am mindful of simple forum courtesy.

Although the OP has not asked that the thread be closed... he has stated numerous times that he does not wish to debate "gun control" issues and feelings in this thread. With that in mind, I would think you should respect his wishes and get off your bandwagon!

As I said before, start your own gun control thread.

Quote: by garro

Perhaps you should read the thread before replying. The OP clearly states, I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

Perhaps it is you who should read the thread (carefully), and quit substituting your words for his.

Quote: by Amsterdam

I think you understand me. The main point is that I can not own a gun but my wife can. So the logical step is to buy it in her name. The application has been done in the local city and is now gone to Bangkok for approval. It should be back next week. With the official gun permit we can purchase the gun and I believe that we are supposed to register it again in the local city. It’s all nice and legal.

In respecting the OP's wishes, this concludes any further "debate" on the subject, from me.

Edited by golfer

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaddeus:

You never answered my question about how you obtained your all-knowing skills.

I don't care what the OP's wife is thinking...I just want to know what MY wife is thinking.

I need a little help here.

'This is typical in all the hundred or so threads about guns since the beginning of Thai Visa. Anyone that looks will find them all cluttered with anti gun babble from those who in all likelihood are clueless about Thailand, Thai Society, and what goes on outside of beer drinking and whore mongering at unregistered sleezy little bars where they can pay some poor economically disadvantaged individuals to listen to their unwanted opinions and feel superior for doing so.'

Not superior or clueless about Thailand (is that the point ?). The OP seeks to procure a gun in his wife's name to "provide security to his home", and that's ok if the wife protects the home and the OP has no intention of using the gun, since his wife is the licensed gun holder, (i.e the gun is secured at all times and under the supervision of his wife).

Is that seriously, really, what would happen ?

Otherwise it's a manipulation of the regulations to get hold of a gun by devious means and hence the questioning of the OP's request on the method of buying a gun in Thailand.

Outside of the 19th century Wild West there is good reason for "anti gun babble" as witnessed by the mass shootings in USA, UK and elsewhere even with some kind of gun control.............. something we should all be considerate of :o

Thaddeus:

You never answered my question about how you obtained your all-knowing skills.

I don't care what the OP's wife is thinking...I just want to know what MY wife is thinking.

I need a little help here.

I don't believe that I claimed to know what the OPs wife was thinking, and assuming that your wife is Thai also I wouldn't do the same with yours either.

Not superior or clueless about Thailand (is that the point ?). The OP seeks to procure a gun in his wife's name to "provide security to his home", and that's ok if the wife protects the home and the OP has no intention of using the gun, since his wife is the licensed gun holder, (i.e the gun is secured at all times and under the supervision of his wife).

Is that seriously, really, what would happen ?

Probably not.

Otherwise it's a manipulation of the regulations to get hold of a gun by devious means and hence the questioning of the OP's request on the method of buying a gun in Thailand.

Probably right.

just my tuppence.........if guns are so expensive here then how the hel_l do all these kids in gangs afford to buy them and where from ??.....ive read about and seen on the news reports of lads in there teens and sometimes early teens and at school still being involved in shootouts or been caught in possesion of 9mm autos etc at police checkpoints.

i dont see why some people here are so anti gun owning here for home protection as there are a lot of bad people here that own guns and many bad people breaking into houses with knives so if someone wants to protect themselves then good for you....i for one wouldnt like to have 3 guys break or try to break into my house carrying knives or clubs etc......i would like a chance.!! and for those who say move to a safer neighbourhood ..ok i will....are you gonna buy my house so i can do just that.if onlylife was that simple.

It may not be my country, but fortunately it is not up to you to decide who replies to what thread - that is a job for the moderators and unless you are undercover then you are obviously not one. While the OP may not like the replies the fact that people are replying keeps the thread alive, and so far he has not asked for it to be closed.

I am allowed to give my opinion that what the OP is doing is, at the very least, not in the spirit of the law. He is using his wife to get his hands on a firearm. His wife seems to have managed perfectly well without one in the past, but for some reason she now needs protection - I'm sure there is a story there. I believe that this way of obtaining a firearm is irresponsible, and I don't think that irresponsible people should be allowed to have guns.

No sir, I am not a moderator on this forum.

But I am mindful of simple forum courtesy.

Although the OP has not asked that the thread be closed... he has stated numerous times that he does not wish to debate "gun control" issues and feelings in this thread. With that in mind, I would think you should respect his wishes and get off your bandwagon!

As I said before, start your own gun control thread.

Quote: by garro

Perhaps you should read the thread before replying. The OP clearly states, I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

Perhaps it is you who should read the thread (carefully), and quit substituting your words for his.

Quote: by Amsterdam

I think you understand me. The main point is that I can not own a gun but my wife can. So the logical step is to buy it in her name. The application has been done in the local city and is now gone to Bangkok for approval. It should be back next week. With the official gun permit we can purchase the gun and I believe that we are supposed to register it again in the local city. It's all nice and legal.

In respecting the OP's wishes, this concludes any further "debate" on the subject, from me.

Your claim that I am substituting my words for his is nonsense. In each case where I have quoted the OP I have cut & pasted his words - this is easy for anyone to see. There is always the temptation when providing a weak argument to try and prop it up with wild acquisations and this is what you are doing here. Withdrawing your 'services' from the debate seems a far more sensible approach, because the only place your posts can go from here is name calling.

Your claim that I am substituting my words for his is nonsense. In each case where I have quoted the OP I have cut & pasted his words - this is easy for anyone to see. There is always the temptation when providing a weak argument to try and prop it up with wild acquisations and this is what you are doing here. Withdrawing your 'services' from the debate seems a far more sensible approach, because the only place your posts can go from here is name calling.

You are correct in this instance, and I retract my statement.

An unfortunate use of words, in the OP's opening post.

Nonetheless, I still feel that the "anti gun" rants are out of place in this thread.

Done.

just my tuppence.........if guns are so expensive here then how the hel_l do all these kids in gangs afford to buy them and where from

Guns are expensive if you buy them legally because of the taxes paid on them. There are also a lot of weapons which are owned and traded illegally - they are substantially cheaper. In my area there is military-type hardware available which I understand comes over the Cambo border and is sold in the villages.

I need a snipers rifle, a gattling gun and an AK47 , primarily for howling dog packs, chickens crowing and the local speaker towers, :D

Yeah......Im getting so carried away and excited by all these interesting and excellent posts :D so I'll probably buy a gun magazine (legally) when in Ubon nest time. :D

Not that my wife plans to but a gun legally in her name (with my money) :o ...............

but if we have any burglars/bad people threatening us one day.......... I'll try to show them some pics from my magazine and hopefully they'll run away :D

and for those who say move to a safer neighbourhood ..ok i will....are you gonna buy my house so i can do just that.if onlylife was that simple.

If the threat of attack really is sufficiently high enough for you to deem it necessary to have a gun in the house, i would say moving home would be one of the simpliest decisions of your life. Might not be practical, but with what's at stake, how could you not?

I want a gun for home protection. A copal of rounds in the air will scare off an intruder. Shooting an intruder would be of last resort.

This one statement alone tells me that you have NO experience and or training in the proper use of a firearm.

My friend...

Go buy it...if you must.

A wheel gun, not a semi automatic.

But please seek out professional training prior to using it.

I have been working in Saudi for a number of years and we live behind 3 meter high walls with concertino wire on top, APCs with .50 caliber and 20 mm cannons at the front gate and armed National Guard folks 24/7.

We have just finished building another home up country but an interesting event occured some months ago when we were perhaps 40% finished. I was there from Saudi and strolling around the unfinished house when I noticed several policemen and a couple of police vehicles immediately in front of our house.

Being the naturally inquisitive type, I walked outside to see what was going on. It seems the police had brought a couple of inmates there to re-enact the murder they performed on a victim that owed them some money.

It can happen anywhere and we have no intention to move as a result of this. That having been said, I wouldn't mind having a shotgun just in case.

Lest all the naysayers jump in...I am trained in weapons from a misspent youth and life.

Lest all the naysayers jump in...I am trained in weapons from a misspent youth and life.

I'll quite happily take you on for a few games of 9 ball, that is also the sign of a misspent youth, but far fewer casualties.

Alas. Thaddeus, my 9 ball skills are less than adequate. Unfortunately my skills are few and far between. I once played a mean game of golf but old age and indecision have taken their toll and I can no longer hold my head high on the links. I remember at one time I could run a 9 minute mile but even that is now beyond my talents.

I did begin slaying small furry animals at a young age, however, so I am quite adept at that.

It appears I will have to keep doing what I do best. :o

Thaddeus:

I know. That's the game where you take out all the striped balls except the 9 ball and then pocket the solids in rotation, with the winner being whomsoever pockets the aforementioned 9 ball. Right???

In my day, bowling alleys were nearly as bad as pool halls.

I do believe in reincarnation as a matter of fact. I want to come back as a bull in Oregon so I can legally have more than one wife that I don't have to support. This would be a delightful change from my current situation of supporting a current wife and two X's. Human wives can't live off the land like moo cows can.

I do believe in reincarnation as a matter of fact. I want to come back as a bull in Oregon so I can legally have more than one wife that I don't have to support. This would be a delightful change from my current situation of supporting a current wife and two X's. Human wives can't live off the land like moo cows can.

Why not a Moslem in London? Then you could have 4 legal wives, all supported by the government at the taxpayers expense.

Maybe then the original OP could be persuaded to use his legally obtained gun to shoot all the stupid lawmakers in the UK parliament!

I wanted to get a gun too :D , until I realised that most violence is domestic.

Either I shoot my wife or she shoots me :D .

Should I survive a domestic shooting, then mental illness :o figures prominently in violence.

Atleast two percent of people in our community are mentally ill. :D Allowing everyone to bear arms increases the probibility that I'll cross the path of an armed killer.

Besides, to be fully prepared you have to carry. Perhaps down your trousers (think of the added advantage :D ), or you could buy a neat shoulder holster.

Edited by rockyysdt

Come on guys.............. :D

Someone told me there are two kinds of people ..............<deleted> :D and liers :o

I'm sure you all want a big gun - that is available at all times :D ...

Don't be shy.......................just admit it :D

Purchasing a gun

I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

• Dos anyone know of a gun shop in Buriram/Korat/Surin? Address or phone number would be great.
  • Is it better to travel to Bangkok to purchase a gun there?
  • Any idea what new run of the mill 9mm would cost?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Locate a "gun range" and not a BB gun range. Ask there. They'll either sell you one or direct you to a seller. But make "sure" you have your documentation "completed first" or they'll be asking you all kinds of questions. When I inquired in Hua Hin they started an "inquest" and the big cheese came out of the back office until I showed them my police ID. Then they got polite and started informing me of all the "rules". At least I was able to shoot there without having a "work permit" that most require.

For information, what is the average range of the average gun average people may own?

For example, I practice shooting in my backyard, I miss the target, at which distance my bullet is still lethal ?

Most people in this country would own a 9mm. Range - can kill at a mile. 1.6 kilometers. Something to think about.

If you discharge a weapon in your backyard you had better have a permit.

You are 100% sure to lose it as soon as the cops arrive.

Practice at a range.

Any reason why you picked a revolver over semi auto? I guess the maintenance is easier, but are there other reasons?[/size][/font]

The revolver trigger mechanism cannot be fired accidentally, especially for a second shot. You really have to pull it positively and can feel when it is about to fire, I am told that the semi auto is also more likely to jam. Also, I believe, that it is easier to check if it is loaded or not. I suggest you try both to compare.

The 9mm will have quite a kick and maybe more difficult for a woman to control. The .38 slugs are quite common and cost Bt30 each.

Revolvers are probably a better choice for the inexperienced. Besides the issue of jamming (minor concern if quality firearm and ammo), revolvers have a longer and usually harder trigger pull.

And make sure it isn't too big for your wife's hands to hold and shoot properly.

Edited by CTM

What would others adise I do if a pick up pulls up outside at 3.00am and a few dobgy characters with guns jump out?

If you seriously think there's a possibility of this happening, I'd suggest the best way for you to protect your family would be simply to move to a safer neighbourhood.

Bringing a gun into your home brings with it more danger than it takes away in my opinion.

There is always a possibility that bad things could happen, as crimes do exist,............. :o

but never the less I would like to know where "safe neighbourhoods" are to be found :D

No place on earth is completely safe, but some places are safer than others. These safer places are easy to identify as these are the places where people don't go around armed.

I would suggest that if you feel you need a gun to protect yourself, then you must be living somewhere dangerous.

If i ever felt the need that would be my signal to move elsewhere.

So I guess Finland and Switzerland are the most dangerous countries in the world. Both high levels of gun ownership. I think your what is referred to as a liar.

The fact that you would call somebody a liar on a forum is a sign that you are obviously a bit petulant so I will keep my reply brief. The poster was making the point about 'feeling the need to go around armed' in a country where it is illegal for a foreigner to own guns. Thailand is not Switzerland nor Finland. Legal gun ownership in Switzerland and a foreigner 'going around armed' in Thailand are not the same thing.

Edited by garro

What would others adise I do if a pick up pulls up outside at 3.00am and a few dobgy characters with guns jump out?

If you seriously think there's a possibility of this happening, I'd suggest the best way for you to protect your family would be simply to move to a safer neighbourhood.

Bringing a gun into your home brings with it more danger than it takes away in my opinion.

There is always a possibility that bad things could happen, as crimes do exist,............. :o

but never the less I would like to know where "safe neighbourhoods" are to be found :D

No place on earth is completely safe, but some places are safer than others. These safer places are easy to identify as these are the places where people don't go around armed.

I would suggest that if you feel you need a gun to protect yourself, then you must be living somewhere dangerous.

If i ever felt the need that would be my signal to move elsewhere.

So I guess Finland and Switzerland are the most dangerous countries in the world. Both high levels of gun ownership. I think your what is referred to as a liar.

The fact that you would call somebody a liar on a forum is a sign that you are obviously a bit petulant so I will keep my reply brief. The poster was making the point about 'feeling the need to go around armed' in a country where it is illegal for a foreigner to own guns. Thailand is not Switzerland nor Finland. Legal gun ownership in Switzerland and a foreigner 'going around armed' in Thailand are not the same thing.

I can't remember any poster " feeling the need to go around armed" but I've probably missed something again :D

Edited by bergen

Thank you all for the info. I think that on Friday I will check out gun row in Bangkok. As said I can not own a gun in Thailand but my wife can. I would never dear to shoot a gun :o . I like the shot gun for home protection but my preference this time is for a hand gun. I have checked on the internet what gun prices are in the US and done the conversion in THB. Here is my list of preferred guns.

Walther P99 THB 25.000

Colt 1911-A1 THB 25.000

Browning M1935 THB 20.000

Beretta 92FS THB 21.000

Taurus PT92 THB 17.000

I am curious to see if these guns are available on gun row. I am realistic that these prices are not the same in Thailand but maybe I should be able to pick one up for THB 50.000.

My preferred 9mm for maximum stopping power.

9mm luger Remington golden saber box 124grain HPJ(+p) 25 rds THB 831

Winchester ranger 147 grain SXT 50 rds THB 831

I don't know if I can find this kind of 9mm in Thailand but would be great to have. Once I have seen the shops in Bangkok I will let you all know what I find out there. I will also check out the gun shop mentioned in Buriram on Tuesday if I can find it.

Cheers

Amsterdam

PS: it is not my intention to start a debate about gun's. I only would like to find out and share information on where to purchase them.

Hello gun lovers!!!

so I am back from Bangkok. I found out that most guns go for around THB 80.000+ 9mm rounds are about 40bht each but you can get discount if you buy in bulk :D . A shot gun can be purchased for about THB 30.000. There where a lot of stores I did not count them but must have been 20+. My next destination will be buriram to see what they sell over there.

I am starting to think that the shot gun is a better purchase as we live on 60+ rai. The range of the shot gun is further and the fear effect is greater. I have to admit that the cost aspect has to do with is as well. I think that my wifer might have to change her permit from a 9mm to a shotgun.

Well I will keep you posted on the buriram shops and what the final gun will be.

cheers

Amterdam