BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Amsterdam

Gun

I don't know. I suppose a lot would depend on how much you respect Thai law and how much you want to have a gun.

You really do need to get off your high horse regarding "how much you respect Thai law".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187158

rgds

Nice to know that somebody reads my old posts. You're not a stalker are you?

The difference with my post was that it was about my wife and I was enquiring about the legality and consequences of the whole thing. She thought it would be fine that she practice in the car before her test without insurance, but I wasn't sure. I also wondered what would happen if a westerner was caught in a similar scenario. I also promptly purchased insurance the next day if you continue trawling through my old posts you will see this.

I suppose that I should be flattered that you pay such attention to my old posts. Just don't start following me, okay? Thanks.

A rather poor 'save' all the same. :o

What would others adise I do if a pick up pulls up outside at 3.00am and a few dobgy characters with guns jump out?

If you seriously think there's a possibility of this happening, I'd suggest the best way for you to protect your family would be simply to move to a safer neighbourhood.

Bringing a gun into your home brings with it more danger than it takes away in my opinion.

There is always a possibility that bad things could happen, as crimes do exist,............. :o

but never the less I would like to know where "safe neighbourhoods" are to be found :D

No place on earth is completely safe, but some places are safer than others. These safer places are easy to identify as these are the places where people don't go around armed.

I would suggest that if you feel you need a gun to protect yourself, then you must be living somewhere dangerous.

If i ever felt the need that would be my signal to move elsewhere.

So I guess Finland and Switzerland are the most dangerous countries in the world. Both high levels of gun ownership. I think your what is referred to as a liar.

The fact that you would call somebody a liar on a forum is a sign that you are obviously a bit petulant so I will keep my reply brief. The poster was making the point about 'feeling the need to go around armed' in a country where it is illegal for a foreigner to own guns. Thailand is not Switzerland nor Finland. Legal gun ownership in Switzerland and a foreigner 'going around armed' in Thailand are not the same thing.

Yes thanks Garro - that is the point i was trying to make.

So CTM, you call me a liar for saying that places where people are armed are more dangerous than those places that aren't, and you cite Finland and Switzerland as being examples of places where high gun ownership levels haven't led to violence. Interesting examples - but why have you conveniently ignored the most obvious gun-crazy place in the world?

When you talk of home defense, these and other things must come into your mind, right?

Have you ever, ever shot a human before?

Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

It's not like on TV or shooting at a range.

You don't fire warning shots.

You bring out a weapon to threaten, by god you'd better be prepared to use it on them.

Now here's a man who really knows what he's talking about.

Just how capable do you think you are in a split second and in a highly stressed situation, of deciding at exactly what point you are justified in taking a life?

Shoot too quickly and you could well be sitting behind bars for a very long time, whilst the family that you were trying to protect, lives alone and in danger of being on the end of some nasty retribution.

Shoot too late and you could well find your attacker turning your weapon against you and your family.

Alternatively, don't shoot at all. Use your brain to get your family out of harms way and leave the guns to those who are trained to legally use one and are in a position to deal with the consequences of taking a human life.

When you talk of home defense, these and other things must come into your mind, right?

Have you ever, ever shot a human before? Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

You bring out a weapon to threaten, by god you'd better be prepared to use it on them.

Just how capable do you think you are in a split second and in a highly stressed situation, of deciding at exactly what point you are justified in taking a life?

Shoot too quickly and you could well be sitting behind bars for a very long time, whilst the family that you were trying to protect, lives alone and in danger of being on the end of some nasty retribution.

Shoot too late and you could well find your attacker turning your weapon against you and your family.

Alternatively, don't shoot at all. Use your brain to get your family out of harms way and leave the guns to those who are trained to legally use one and are in a position to deal with the consequences of taking a human life.

I have not shot a human before. If it was someone looking to to do my family harm I would do it in a second and never have any regrets. If you don't have a gun you have no choice at all. If you do have a gun you have the choice of using your best judgement. I would be quite satisfied being in jail with my family alive and going up against the charge that I protected them in self defence. The family may never have the chance of living alone with me in jail if they are dead without me being smart enough to have have a gun to protect them. Using your brain to get your family out of harms way against a nut case with a gun in foolish at best.

Edited by JoeInSurin

Have you ever, ever shot a human before? Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

I have not shot a human before. If it was someone looking to to do my family harm I would do it in a second and never have any regrets. If you don't have a gun you have no choice at all. If you do have a gun you have the choice of using your best judgement. I would be quite satisfied being in jail with my family alive and going up against the charge that I protected them in self defence. The family may never have the chance of living alone with me in jail if they are dead without me being smart enough to have have a gun to protect them. Using your brain to get your family out of harms way against a nut case with a gun in foolish at best.

No the smart ones are those who don't feel the need to have a gun in their house. Not all of us in Thailand have the under-seige mentality. I wouldn't allow a gun any where near my family, and I would never give them the impression that they need to be armed to be safe.

If some drugged nut case breaks in to your house and threatens to kill your family........

You surely don't want to hide in a closet, close your eyes and hope that the Bib will rush to save you :o

No the smart ones are those who don't feel the need to have a gun in their house. Not all of us in Thailand have the under-seige mentality. I wouldn't allow a gun any where near my family, and I would never give them the impression that they need to be armed to be safe.

No the smart ones plan for the worst and hope for the best. A lot of people in

Thailand are naive and don't see the need to be safe in a dangerous environment. I hope you and your family the best.

If some drugged nut case breaks in to your house and threatens to kill your family........

You surely don't want to hide in a closet, close your eyes and hope that the Bib will rush to save you :o

I agree 100%. Some people seem to not see the need to protect their family. I hope them the best.

I agree 100%. Some people seem to not see the need to protect their family. I hope them the best.

Well we will never agree on this. I previously worked as a trauma nurse and saw far too many accidental gun injuries. Rambos getting carried away and shooting the wrong person, themselves or a loved one. Not worth the risk in my opinion. One unstable person waving a gun around is one too many in any confrontation.

If you don't have a gun you have no choice at all.

What complete and utter nonsense.

Well we will never agree on this. I previously worked as a trauma nurse and saw far too many accidental gun injuries. Rambos getting carried away and shooting the wrong person, themselves or a loved one. Not worth the risk in my opinion. One unstable person waving a gun around is one too many in any confrontation.

Not everyone with the common since to protect their family is a "Rambo'. One unstable person waving a gun around to harm my family while I could have prevented it is one to many in my book. Is a stable person protecting their family from the unstable person that you have seen unwarrented?

Edited by JoeInSurin

If you don't have a gun you have no choice at all.

What complete and utter nonsense.

What is your choice then? Complete and utter foolishness at best.

Have you ever, ever shot a human before?

Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

How capable are you of protecting your family in a split second if you are not prepared to protect them? Use your brain to get yourself out of harms way with a drugged out nut? Foolishness at best!! Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.

Edited by JoeInSurin

Surprise is the best form of attack,.if you are going to have a gun keep it strictly to yourself, .if a potential robber wants to rob you bad enough and he knows you have a gun it may back fire on you,...ive read most of these posts and there really are some ignorant ( as in unknowing ) people on here, in a panic situation will you be in control ? i seriously doubt it,.will you really be able to walk tall after killing someone ? ,.