Gun

Amsterdam

Could it be that knives only have the potential for greater destruction than guns in the limited set of circumstances you presented - ie people packed closely together in a crowd. In any other situation you care to think of, the gun "wins" hands down every time.

Not true at all.

Several circumstances where the knife would beat the gun.

If your attacker is within 21 feet, by the time you can react to draw your weapon and attempt to use it, you are going to be dead, or sliced up good.

Even if you are "gun in hand". your chances are greatly reduced and possibly might get one round out. This is a proven fact.

The gun does not win everytime and to think this is foolish.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my sport is hunting I don't actually need a gun???

No that's right, you don't need a gun, you want a gun. Soldiers are people who need guns.

If I am a hunter yes I would want a gun. If I was a football player I would want a ball. If I was a fisherman I would want a fishing rod. Get it! You said in an earlier post that you were not against hunting for food. It sounds like you have changed your mind. By the way. Are you going to answer the questions that I asked you earlier? I don't want a gun or own a gun. That is my choice. A person that wants to own one and use it without breaking the law should have their choice also.

Could it be that knives only have the potential for greater destruction than guns in the limited set of circumstances you presented - ie people packed closely together in a crowd. In any other situation you care to think of, the gun "wins" hands down every time.

Not true at all.

Several circumstances where the knife would beat the gun.

If your attacker is within 21 feet, by the time you can react to draw your weapon and attempt to use it, you are going to be dead, or sliced up good.

Even if you are "gun in hand". your chances are greatly reduced and possibly might get one round out. This is a proven fact.

The gun does not win everytime and to think this is foolish.

You misunderstood me John. I was talking about in the face of attack, which was more dangerous. A knife can only do damage at close proximity, so putting space between yourself and the weapon is all you have to do to get to safety. Not so with a gun.

No that's right, you don't need a gun, you want a gun. Soldiers are people who need guns.

If I am a hunter yes I would want a gun. If I was a football player I would want a ball. If I was a fisherman I would want a fishing rod. Get it! You said in an earlier post that you were not against hunting for food. It sounds like you have changed your mind. By the way. Are you going to answer the questions that I asked you earlier? I don't want a gun or own a gun. That is my choice. A person that wants to own one and use it without breaking the law should have their choice also.

Yes i get it. So you agree then - it's a want rather than a need yes?

Changed my mind about hunting? Nope. I said that if it was really necessary in modern day farming to use firearms to put pork on our plates, i had no problem with that, but i questioned whether this was true or not.

As for hunting as a sport, if you want to kills animals for fun then so be it, my objection is when you use this as a reason for having to have laws which give people access to arms. Put it this way, if you said we could get rid of a lot of guns but it will mean the end of hunting sports, i don't think mankind would reel from the loss. We could get over it if it saved lives don't you think?

Questions? Please repeat.

My question is :- Can a ferang LEGALLY OWN an Air rifle. Not one of those contraptions with a bike pump fitted but a proffessionally made Air Rifle. I would consider buying one to scare away the wildlife/soi dogs.

If it is legal, any idea of prices and local sources to purchase one

Thankz

Dave

I am suprised the PRO or ANTI GUN lobby do not know the answer to my question about LEGALITIES IN THAILAND FOR AIRGUNS ?

My question is :- Can a ferang LEGALLY OWN an Air rifle. Not one of those contraptions with a bike pump fitted but a proffessionally made Air Rifle. I would consider buying one to scare away the wildlife/soi dogs.

If it is legal, any idea of prices and local sources to purchase one

Thankz

Dave

I am suprised the PRO or ANTI GUN lobby do not know the answer to my question about LEGALITIES IN THAILAND FOR AIRGUNS ?

Air guns require the same licence as firearms.

Changed my mind about hunting? Nope. I said that if it was really necessary in modern day farming to use firearms to put pork on our plates, i had no problem with that, but i questioned whether this was true or not.

As for hunting as a sport, if you want to kills animals for fun then so be it, my objection is when you use this as a reason for having to have laws which give people access to arms. Put it this way, if you said we could get rid of a lot of guns but it will mean the end of hunting sports, i don't think mankind would reel from the loss. We could get over it if it saved lives don't you think?

So you think the whole sport of hunting is just a front for people to own guns so they can murder people? You are one paranoid dude. :o

My wife has a permit for her .38 S&W model 15, can she use the same permit to buy a pump action shotgun, or must a new permit be obtained ?

Those shotguns look like good value at 25K, last time I was up in BKK gun shopping with a (Thai) friend he bought a Glock for 108,000 baht, ridiculous price for a $500 gun. She paid 45,000 baht for the .38 secondhand but unused. Still over the odds by US prices but a very nice piece.

Some good points either way on this thread.

The 21 foot rule is very interesting, and the most coherent posts are made by that same poster IMO.

I might hazard a guess that the some of the anti gun lobby here might be changing their minds over the next couple of years as crime skyrockets and farangs become targets, only time will tell.

post-46117-1215092631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kicker

So you think the whole sport of hunting is just a front for people to own guns so they can murder people?

Nope not at all. I just think it's frustrating gun laws (especially in America) always have to take into so much consideration the rights of the hunting community, at the expense of tougher laws that might make gun ownership more difficult - something i would approve of.

My wife has a permit for her .38 S&W model 15, can she use the same permit to buy a pump action shotgun, or must a new permit be obtained ?

The permit is gun specific, i.e. it will have specified a .38 hand gun. She will need a revised permit. A shotgun permit may be easier to obtain - the main concern of the authorities seems to be that the gun will be carried outside the home which is less likely with a shotgun.

If a westerner shoots a Thai there will be hel_l to pay - it does not matter who is right and who is wrong. The Thai police might be far from CSI but they are not stupid - they can likely figure out who used the gun.

Your comment that it is not my business is a fair point, but the way I see it this is something which should be commented on. In the same way as if somebody else posted on something else which I believed could bring a lot of danger into their lives. Of course, people can choose to ignore me, but I feel compelled to at least comment. After all, what else is an open forum for.

1. Unless the guy with the gun is the son of a certain Government Minister. Even viewing a video recording of the event doesn't seem to help their mental processes.

2. The corollary to the proposition that nobody should comment on an internal US matter is that what was going on in Iraq, and is presently occurring in Zimbabwe, is none of our business. Should we take the '3 monkeys' approach then?

I will join in with some of the other posters in expressing that anyone who owns a gun should be responsible enough to be trained in the use of that gun and make sure that every one in the house is trained also. Respect for any weapon should be instilled even if it is only a sharp pencil.

I was horrified to see a picture in the Bangkok Post of the Thai police showing a 14 year old girl how to use a hand gun. A 14 year old is a responsible person? Given that 50 cops surrounded an innocent old couple's house and practically blasted the place causing great damage amongst other things to a refrigerator, but not thankfully physical harm to the couple, leads me to ponder the interpretation in Thailand to the term responsible.

Watching CNN, BBC and Sky News today, it seems much of the coverage is centered on the stabbing murders going on in the UK. A new task force is even being formed to deal with the issue.

My point? I guess it is that if a bad guy wants to do you harm, he can find some way to do it.

Let the good guys have weapons to defend themselves against the bad guys carrying whatever sort of weapon they might have.

Watching CNN, BBC and Sky News today, it seems much of the coverage is centered on the stabbing murders going on in the UK. A new task force is even being formed to deal with the issue.

My point? I guess it is that if a bad guy wants to do you harm, he can find some way to do it.

Let the good guys have weapons to defend themselves against the bad guys carrying whatever sort of weapon they might have.

Just imagine how much damage they could do if they had more than knives.

This is western culture at it's best isn't it....... my dad is bigger than your dad ...... that's how it starts.

Alex said it best and to paraphrase.

More guns, more problems.

Less guns, fewer problems.

How any sentient life-form can't understand that is beyond me ........ ooh oooh oooh no, I forgot, some people may want a gun because they just want one for whatever self-serving macho reasons (as that is all they are, personally I'd rather find a sure fire way to increase the size of my penis without having to buy a Merc..... ho hum)

Such is life.

Thaddeus:

If I am not sentient to the feelings of my wife, why do you think I should be sentient to the feelings of a total stranger posting anonymously on the internet? Nice try, though.

Guns are not seen as a phallic symbol by me. I do not need one to extend my penis, as tiny as it may be. Guns are viewed by me only as a deterent to a bad guy that might be wishing to do me harm. Nothing more or less.

One can couch gun ownership in $10 terms gleaned from a thesaurus but, to many of us, me in particular, I see it as nothing more than another method to protect myself.

Do I want one or need one? Probably, in my mind, a little of both. I NEED one for self protection and I WANT one for the same reason. It might be protection from a 2 meter cobra in my garden or a 1.8 meter thug with a knife. Either way, the need is there..ergo, the want exists.

Are there any simple solutions to this ongoing discussion? Probably not, but I will at least let you have the last word on it. Small words would be appreciated. :o

Do I want one or need one? Probably, in my mind, a little of both. I NEED one for self protection and I WANT one for the same reason. It might be protection from a 2 meter cobra in my garden or a 1.8 meter thug with a knife. Either way, the need is there..ergo, the want exists.

Are there any simple solutions to this ongoing discussion? Probably not, but I will at least let you have the last word on it. Small words would be appreciated. :D

Good post Chuckd - hope you don't make it your last.

Ok, small words it is then. :D

If your primary concern is ego, bravado and a show of masculine strength, a gun may well serve your purposes. If on the other hand your primary concern is simply the welfare of yourself and your family, whether it be a 2 meter snake or a 1.8 meter thug, your best option is to simply walk or if necessary run away. Neither snakes nor thugs will be bothered to chase you. For what?

Having a weapon, whether it be a gun, a knife or whatever, gives you that choice, to flee or to fight, and i think that with the exception of the likes of John who previously posted on this thread, who has professional training and first hand experience of dealing with life threatening situations, the general public just doesn't have the wherewithall to be making the right choice, especially in times of high stress and panic. John also made the point himself that there's a lot of ignorance out there, not only concerning the equipment but also in terms of how and when guns should be used - words which seemed to fall on largely deaf ears.

Now i know that running from a fight might go against a man's better testosterone affected judgement (especially if his castle is under attack), and noone wants to be seen as a coward, but the truth is if you really want to do what's best for your family, you'll put all those issues to one side and just put distance between your family and the danger. It's simply the easiest option with the least probability of things getting ugly.

Ironically, not having a gun (or weapon of any description) will more often than not save your life, or save you from injury.

Having a gun (or weapon) will draw you towards danger when you should be headed in the other direction.

Just my opinion, for what little it's worth. :o

Are there any simple solutions to this ongoing discussion? Probably not, but I will at least let you have the last word on it. Small words would be appreciated. :D

Good post Chuckd - hope you don't make it your last.

Ok, small words it is then. :D

If your primary concern is ego, bravado and a show of masculine strength, a gun may well serve your purposes. If on the other hand your primary concern is simply the welfare of yourself and your family, whether it be a 2 meter snake or a 1.8 meter thug, your best option is to simply walk or if necessary run away. Neither snakes nor thugs will be bothered to chase you. For what?

Having a weapon, whether it be a gun, a knife or whatever, gives you that choice, to flee or to fight, and i think that with the exception of the likes of John who previously posted on this thread, who has professional training and first hand experience of dealing with life threatening situations, the general public just doesn't have the wherewithall to be making the right choice, especially in times of high stress and panic. John also made the point himself that there's a lot of ignorance out there, not only concerning the equipment but also in terms of how and when guns should be used - words which seemed to fall on largely deaf ears.

Now i know that running from a fight might go against a man's better testosterone affected judgement (especially if his castle is under attack), and noone wants to be seen as a coward, but the truth is if you really want to do what's best for your family, you'll put all those issues to one side and just put distance between your family and the danger. It's simply the easiest option with the least probability of things getting ugly.

Ironically, not having a gun (or weapon of any description) will more often than not save your life, or save you from injury.

Having a gun (or weapon) will draw you towards danger when you should be headed in the other direction.

Just my opinion, for what little it's worth. :o

Superb, and very well thought out,. living by the sword comes to mind,..

rixalex:

Thank you for the small words. I did notice a few longish ones slipped in, though.

I just have a couple of comments.

I posted earlier that I am nearing my 71st year, thus reducing drastically my ability to run away from much of anything. While the thought is nice for you young whipper-snappers, it becomes exceedingly difficult, when you might be clunking around in a walker, to evade those creatures wishing to do me harm. Be they warm or cold blooded.

My other comment would be...what makes you assume I am not trained in the use of weapons? During my somewhat tedious life, I have been through more than one fire fight and have gone through two evacuations. The details would bore you but, suffice to say, I am experienced in the handling of firearms.

At my age, the ownership of a gun would hardly be called macho. Just being alive is macho enough for me!

Mike:

There is an old saying among the gun community...Those that live by the sword are killed by those that don't. :o

We discovered fire, invented the wheel ....... we should have just stopped there.

But then we'd be sitting around the fire thinking about and discussing about the latest new version of a rock tied to a stick to hit something in the head with...and who shouldn't get one.

"You're gonna hit yerself in the foot with that thing"

We discovered fire, invented the wheel ....... we should have just stopped there.

But then we'd be sitting around the fire thinking about and discussing about the latest new version of a rock tied to a stick to hit something in the head with...and who shouldn't get one.

You know John, you're right, coming down from the trees was a mistake ..... errr..... you could counter that with branch abuse, so that would mean that getting out of the water was the first mistake.

Human kind has put more energy into finding different ways to kill other humans (and other species) than anything else, and more effort has gone into rationalising and justifying it.

I like dolphins.

//edit/ and dogs

Edited by Thaddeus

rixalex:

I posted earlier that I am nearing my 71st year, thus reducing drastically my ability to run away from much of anything. While the thought is nice for you young whipper-snappers, it becomes exceedingly difficult, when you might be clunking around in a walker, to evade those creatures wishing to do me harm. Be they warm or cold blooded.

My other comment would be...what makes you assume I am not trained in the use of weapons? During my somewhat tedious life, I have been through more than one fire fight and have gone through two evacuations. The details would bore you but, suffice to say, I am experienced in the handling of firearms.

At my age, the ownership of a gun would hardly be called macho. Just being alive is macho enough for me!

The mention of your age and restrictions in mobility makes one wonder whether age-related issues are considered in the awarding of gun licenses. How's your eye-sight Chuck? Could you hit my left testicle at 20 yards? Ok, let's not put that one to the test!

Regarding my assumptions in your lack of training, i was actually speaking in general to the "gun lovers" at large, and not just singling you out.

But since you mention it... to address your own experiences with firearms and your preparedness for engaging in gun warfare with local thugs, as much as i respect you (and i sincerely do) for all the things you have seen and done throughout your "somewhat tedious life" (hardly sounds like it!), and as much as i believe you when you say you are very at ease and competent using guns, i wonder when was the last time you fired a gun "in anger" in a situation that was potentially life or death (not talking about the life and death of a furry creature!). 10 years ago? 20 years? 30 years?

When i mentioned about only trained people being able to use guns, for one i wasn't simply talking about people trained in the ability of loading, aiming and shooting, but rather the infinitely more difficult skill of knowing how to react under extreme stress and being able to make reasoned and rational decisions in a split second, such as when to shoot and when to hold fire.

And for two, i wasn't talking about people who had once been trained to this degree some 5, 10 or 20 years ago. This is a skill which isn't like riding a bike. You don't just pick up a gun after 20 years of leaving the SAS, police force or whatever, and immediately and instinctively know exactly how to handle yourself in a life or death moment. Admittedly you'd probably handle yourself better than someone else might, but you are still not as equiped and able in making split second decisions as is someone who is currently working in this field of work, who gets on-going training, and who deals with these situations, or the posibility of these situations, on a daily basis.

Changing tacks. This gets us back to the topic of the OP. A few pages back Chuck you said that people who have been vetted should be allowed guns. I asked you whether you thought it acceptable for friends and family of said vetted person to be allowed use of the gun. I'm still interested to hear your answer if you care to give it.

rixalex:

The mention of your age and restrictions in mobility makes one wonder whether age-related issues are considered in the awarding of gun licenses. How's your eye-sight Chuck? Could you hit my left testicle at 20 yards? Ok, let's not put that one to the test!

Regarding my assumptions in your lack of training, i was actually speaking in general to the "gun lovers" at large, and not just singling you out.

But since you mention it... to address your own experiences with firearms and your preparedness for engaging in gun warfare with local thugs, as much as i respect you (and i sincerely do) for all the things you have seen and done throughout your "somewhat tedious life" (hardly sounds like it!), and as much as i believe you when you say you are very at ease and competent using guns, i wonder when was the last time you fired a gun "in anger" in a situation that was potentially life or death (not talking about the life and death of a furry creature!). 10 years ago? 20 years? 30 years?

When i mentioned about only trained people being able to use guns, for one i wasn't simply talking about people trained in the ability of loading, aiming and shooting, but rather the infinitely more difficult skill of knowing how to react under extreme stress and being able to make reasoned and rational decisions in a split second, such as when to shoot and when to hold fire.

And for two, i wasn't talking about people who had once been trained to this degree some 5, 10 or 20 years ago. This is a skill which isn't like riding a bike. You don't just pick up a gun after 20 years of leaving the SAS, police force or whatever, and immediately and instinctively know exactly how to handle yourself in a life or death moment. Admittedly you'd probably handle yourself better than someone else might, but you are still not as equiped and able in making split second decisions as is someone who is currently working in this field of work, who gets on-going training, and who deals with these situations, or the posibility of these situations, on a daily basis.

Changing tacks. This gets us back to the topic of the OP. A few pages back Chuck you said that people who have been vetted should be allowed guns. I asked you whether you thought it acceptable for friends and family of said vetted person to be allowed use of the gun. I'm still interested to hear your answer if you care to give it.

I just had a wickedly beautiful response prepared for your post but then lost it in the CO2 layer we humans are destroying the world with by driving our SUVs everywhere. Sometimes I hate the internet.

In answer to your question about friends and family of vetted individuals. If I personally train my family then I will have full confidence in their abilities to handle tmemselves in all situations. Friends are another story. They won't have access to my shotgun in LOS so they are not germane to this discussion.

Now I am angry at the internet and will need to cool off or I will shoot my computer. I will address your other questions tomorrow either with a new computer or a somewhat more relaxed attitude towards life in general.

Did I say I hated the internet????

rixalex:

I just had a wickedly beautiful response prepared for your post but then lost it in the CO2 layer we humans are destroying the world with by driving our SUVs everywhere. Sometimes I hate the internet.

In answer to your question about friends and family of vetted individuals. If I personally train my family then I will have full confidence in their abilities to handle tmemselves in all situations. Friends are another story. They won't have access to my shotgun in LOS so they are not germane to this discussion.

Now I am angry at the internet and will need to cool off or I will shoot my computer. I will address your other questions tomorrow either with a new computer or a somewhat more relaxed attitude towards life in general.

Did I say I hated the internet????

If you do shoot your computer, don't forget to take cover from all that flying shrapnel!

Alternatively, just toss it out the window like the rest of us do. At least then you are only endangering those passing by below. :o

With regards to allowing those with gun licenses the freedom for them to decide who uses their gun, i really do think such an idea completely works against the purpose of having a vetting process in the first place, and essentially means that rather than just a select few who have been scrutinzed, a much larger number of people for which the authorities have no record, are given access to guns.

You are basically saying that anyone who has been vetted and given a license, is therefore qualified themselves to vet others. I don't understand why that should be the case. My trust in those of the public who have been vetted by authorites and given a license is small, my trust in said vetted individual's family, friends and neighbours.. well not at all actually.

In my native country, Sweden, the security guards are not allowed to carry guns. Not even the guards transporting cash to the banks. They get robbed a lot but not even one security guard has been killed during a robbery as long as I can remember. Naturally this is a consequence of the robbers knowing that the guards don´t carry guns and then the robbers don´t have to shoot first. The security guards have standing orders to surrender whatever they are carrying rather than running the risk of getting killed.

Question is. Are there any worthly possessions worth protecting so hard that you risk your own and your familys life?

If someone believs that you are rich and also knows that you carry a gun (in Thailand it seems that everyone always know everything about everyone) don´t you think this would put yourself and your family at greater risk if someone against all odds decided to rob you? :o

Hello Gun Lovers.

Here is another update…

Since I have started this discussion My wife has purchased a shot gun for 25K which I have previously mentioned. I asked my Wife to go practice and we went to the local army base where we where allowed to shoot a copal of rounds. It was kind of funny to see because the six or seven army guy’s had never seen such a gun. One guy was shooting with a .22 Rifle and then we showed up with what looks like a cannon. Well to make a long story short My wife let them try out the shot gun and they all ended up with sore shoulders. I must admit that my wife also has a sore shoulder but I am glad she knows how to shoot it.

I was just surprised at how easy it was to go and shoot at the army base. We drove over and simply asked to use the shooting range. There was no targets or anything to shoot at so we just shot at some sticks and a soda can. I made a joke that the next time I will bring some chickens and they responded that we should bring a pig he he… I am not saying that I am going to drive over the army base with some chickens and a pig but in the end I think it Is okay to kill the pig or chicken as long as you eat it. I will probably bring some other targets to practice on the next time.

Cheers

Amsterdam

In my native country, Sweden, the security guards are not allowed to carry guns. Not even the guards transporting cash to the banks. They get robbed a lot but not even one security guard has been killed during a robbery as long as I can remember. Naturally this is a consequence of the robbers knowing that the guards don´t carry guns and then the robbers don´t have to shoot first. The security guards have standing orders to surrender whatever they are carrying rather than running the risk of getting killed.

Question is. Are there any worthly possessions worth protecting so hard that you risk your own and your familys life?

If someone believs that you are rich and also knows that you carry a gun (in Thailand it seems that everyone always know everything about everyone) don´t you think this would put yourself and your family at greater risk if someone against all odds decided to rob you? :o

Precisely. But it seems that for some, walking away from a fight, even if to save themselves and their family from serious injury or death, is too much loss of their male pride to contemplate. Maybe their parents never taught them that it takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight.