Gun

Amsterdam

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be quite a bit of duty on handguns ,(or big margins) The S&W model 385 in .357 magnum sells for $800 US in the states.

Yes, the price is more than double it would be in the US. You need a permit from the local government office to buy the gun, and the shop communicates with the local office. I believe that the local office levies a tax on the sale. The actual permit fee is a one-off payment of Bt500.

I'm curious about how well it retains value when sold secondhand.

A glock will lose almost no value and maintenance is close to nothing. My dad's glock 26 was kept fully-loaded in its box in a closet for about four years and had no corrosion and fired perfectly.

How can you ask a Question anymore on Thai Visa without some Low Life spitting out verbal diarrhea.

Keep to topic please.

If you want to discuss gun ownership, and its good and bad points open a new post for god sake.

How can you ask a Question anymore on Thai Visa without some Low Life spitting out verbal diarrhea.

Keep to topic please.

If you want to discuss gun ownership, and its good and bad points open a new post for god sake.

"Low-life" is a term i would use to describe rapists and granny bashers, not people who i think have gone off-topic. Sounds to me like you have anger-management issues. Do us a favour and stay away from guns.

A glock will lose almost no value and maintenance is close to nothing. My dad's glock 26 was kept fully-loaded in its box in a closet for about four years and had no corrosion and fired perfectly.

Have a 26 as well. Wife has a 19. Excellent and relatively inexpensive (compared to what many local enthusiasts buy) tools @ 45k Baht each. Roughly twice that nowadays. Cycle out the magazines every 3 months (shouldn't be kept fully loaded, we always load 2 rounds short to prolong spring life): that is move all rounds from one magazine to another to give the springs a 'break', and cycle out the ammo once-twice a year (fire all existing ammo, usually 200-300 rounds, and replace with new ammo), and that's bare bones range time. Cleaned and oiled by the range (don't like to get my hands dirty). Back in the coded gun box with a moisture dessicant pack you go.

:o

We discovered fire, invented the wheel ....... we should have just stopped there.

Given the number of house cremations and Thai driving habits, these inventions and discoveries should never have been introduced to LOS. :o

Keep to topic please.

"Low-life" is a term i would use to describe rapists and granny bashers, not people who i think have gone off-topic. Sounds to me like you have anger-management issues. Do us a favour and stay away from guns.

I think you need to read the whole topic as I did before posting.

People who make a judgment on what someone wished to use something for and start making accusation that have no evidence to back them up are low life’s and cause no end of trouble.

Anger management I do not have a problem.

I have been offered the opportunity to own a gun in Thailand, because I was attacked. (I refused.)

This is you making assumptions because I made a post in this topic.

Which correct me if I am wrong is about purchasing a gun in Thailand.

Low life’s come in many forms and those that assume without any justifiable evidence are dangerous.

If you read the full post you will I hope be able to see where I am coming from.

I'm curious about how well it retains value when sold secondhand.

In the shop I purchased our gun the new S&W .38 was just over Bt90K, a secondhand one, as new, was about Bt60K.

Keep to topic please.

I think you need to read the whole topic as I did before posting.

People who make a judgment on what someone wished to use something for and start making accusation that have no evidence to back them up are low life's and cause no end of trouble.

Anger management I do not have a problem.

I have been offered the opportunity to own a gun in Thailand, because I was attacked. (I refused.)

This is you making assumptions because I made a post in this topic.

Which correct me if I am wrong is about purchasing a gun in Thailand.

Low life's come in many forms and those that assume without any justifiable evidence are dangerous.

If you read the full post you will I hope be able to see where I am coming from.

Just goes to show you don't need a gun to shoot your mouth off!

Not only have i read the full thread, but have been contributing to the discussion almost from the first page, something i'm surprised you failed to notice since you have read it all. (A discussion which i'm pleased to add has in the main been good natured and without name calling)

The OP asked a question about buying a gun. It seems to me that buying guns and gun ownership laws are topics that are directly related and as such people are free to comment. If you think otherwise perhaps you should contact a moderator and complain.

You say you don't have an anger management problem, but the whole tone of your post is unnecessarily aggressive and accusitory.

People who go around willy-nilly calling other people "low lifes" just because they don't share their opinion are dangerous and put themselves in danger of attack with that sort of attitude.

People who go around willy-nilly calling other people "low lifes" just because they don't share their opinion are dangerous and put themselves in danger of attack with that sort of attitude.

And they shouldn't be allowed to own anything more dangerous than a pointed stick.

There is one thing that really gets to me in this sort of discussion, I come from a different culture to the one that I am living in currently, a culture where fire-arms where not widespread ( didn't exist at all really, apart from sport and pest control) if we had a personal problem with another member of the community it would either be talked about at length, or someone would become persona non grata or, the last resort, have a bit of a punch up outside the pub ....... but nobody dies.

When you live here, add face to fire-arm and the whole situation gets painted a different colour (probably red) ...... and please don't anyone come out with the personal protection BS as that argument just doesn't hold any water at all. (as many dead people protecting themselves would testify too, if they were still able)

And they shouldn't be allowed to own anything more dangerous than a pointed stick.

There is one thing that really gets to me in this sort of discussion, I come from a different culture to the one that I am living in currently, a culture where fire-arms where not widespread ( didn't exist at all really, apart from sport and pest control) if we had a personal problem with another member of the community it would either be talked about at length, or someone would become persona non grata or, the last resort, have a bit of a punch up outside the pub ....... but nobody dies.

When you live here, add face to fire-arm and the whole situation gets painted a different colour (probably red) ...... and please don't anyone come out with the personal protection BS as that argument just doesn't hold any water at all. (as many dead people protecting themselves would testify too, if they were still able)

Seeing as you have already stated that this is a pointless argument (I agree), why continue posting?

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Lucky man!!!

It wouldn't be the gun that scared me after 4 yrs.. it would be the ammo!

Have a 26 as well. Wife has a 19. Excellent and relatively inexpensive (compared to what many local enthusiasts buy) tools @ 45k Baht each. Roughly twice that nowadays. Cycle out the magazines every 3 months (shouldn't be kept fully loaded, we always load 2 rounds short to prolong spring life): that is move all rounds from one magazine to another to give the springs a 'break', and cycle out the ammo once-twice a year (fire all existing ammo, usually 200-300 rounds, and replace with new ammo), and that's bare bones range time. Cleaned and oiled by the range (don't like to get my hands dirty). Back in the coded gun box with a moisture dessicant pack you go.

:D

You should cycle your rounds more than what you are...every month if you keep the gun loaded 24/7. Always, Always, at least a round short in the magazine...Glocks are notorious for stovepiping a round if they are fully loaded ( In a high capacity magazine )

I hope that you're also cleaning those magazines and inspecting those springs, not just shuffling rounds from one to the other.. :o

I always find it funny of a gun user who dosen't like to get his hands dirty...you might as well clean your own weapon, your hands have gunpower all over 'em after firing your gun..

I want to clean and inspect my own weapon...after all, it only has to malfunction one time for deadly results to occur. I consider it a "life support function" and I do not depend on others for that.

I give up... :D

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

I am not being picky here, but a .38 cal. pistol is a larger caliber than a 9MM. there is no 38mm. It is a .38 caliber, meaning the size of the bullet is .38 inch in diaeter. 9mm is metric and smaller. However, if you are referring to the physical size of the gun, then a .38 "snub nose" (about 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" barrel is smaller than a 9mm semi automatic. If I were to buy a pistol, it would be a 6 shot revolver with a double action. (meaning you can pull the trigger w/o cocking the hammer manually). And it would be the "snub nose" short barrel. If one has to defend himself from an intruder, there will probably be no more than 1 or 2 shots fired. Witht he double action revolver you would push off safty, point and pull trigger. With a semi auto. you would push off safety, then you must grasp the barrel and slide the action open and let it "slam shut". This is one more step than the revolver. Also, if the lady actually has to use that gun, I doubt she would be able to pull the action open to cock the gun and insert a round into the chamber without a lot of practice.

Knute Rockne once said: "thye best offense is a good defense". Get that gun out and start shooting. Anywhere, thru doors and windows and I can just about guarantee that the intruder will be leaving in high gear". No one "out runs" a bullet. So when you get that gun out, you must be ready, willing and able to use it.

Just so I don't sound like some armchair expert, I should tell you that for many years I was a certified firearms instructor for the NRA, a shootings sport cunselor for many years with the Boy Scouts of America, A senior hunter safty instructor for the state of Maryland and a certified senior Range Officer for both that state, and the NRA. Also, I gave private lessons to "would be" hand gun owners for self defense most of whom were women. So I do speak from training and experience.

Now I have my own questions for those of you who have gone through the buying and legalities process.

1. Can the thai. wife/etc get a concealed weapon permit. Also know as a "permission to carry" in the U.S. ? If so, does that permit allow her to carry thye gun in a vehicle while it is loaded?

2. I was a hunter and marksman in the U.S. most all my life, and loved to shoot small bore rifles for target practice. Can rifles be purchased in Thailand the same way as pistols, and where would be the best place to look. BKK ?

3. I have seen a vehicle in Khon Kaen with "Black Hawk air rifle Club" painted on the rear window. Can I assume there are also shooting clubs for the high powered rifles and hand guns as well, and where would I look for them?

Thanks for all the great advise I have read in this forum. I have only been here since February.

Shooter

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

I am not being picky here, but a .38 cal. pistol is a larger caliber than a 9MM.

correct! the caliber of a .38 is 9.652 mm :o

I am not being picky here, but a .38 cal. pistol is a larger caliber than a 9MM. there is no 38mm. It is a .38 caliber, meaning the size of the bullet is .38 inch in diaeter. 9mm is metric and smaller. However, if you are referring to the physical size of the gun, then a .38 "snub nose" (about 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" barrel is smaller than a 9mm semi automatic. If I were to buy a pistol, it would be a 6 shot revolver with a double action. (meaning you can pull the trigger w/o cocking the hammer manually). And it would be the "snub nose" short barrel. If one has to defend himself from an intruder, there will probably be no more than 1 or 2 shots fired. Witht he double action revolver you would push off safty, point and pull trigger. With a semi auto. you would push off safety, then you must grasp the barrel and slide the action open and let it "slam shut". This is one more step than the revolver. Also, if the lady actually has to use that gun, I doubt she would be able to pull the action open to cock the gun and insert a round into the chamber without a lot of practice.

Knute Rockne once said: "thye best offense is a good defense". Get that gun out and start shooting. Anywhere, thru doors and windows and I can just about guarantee that the intruder will be leaving in high gear". No one "out runs" a bullet. So when you get that gun out, you must be ready, willing and able to use it.

Just so I don't sound like some armchair expert, I should tell you that for many years I was a certified firearms instructor for the NRA, a shootings sport cunselor for many years with the Boy Scouts of America, A senior hunter safty instructor for the state of Maryland and a certified senior Range Officer for both that state, and the NRA. Also, I gave private lessons to "would be" hand gun owners for self defense most of whom were women. So I do speak from training and experience.

Now I have my own questions for those of you who have gone through the buying and legalities process.

1. Can the thai. wife/etc get a concealed weapon permit. Also know as a "permission to carry" in the U.S. ? If so, does that permit allow her to carry thye gun in a vehicle while it is loaded?

2. I was a hunter and marksman in the U.S. most all my life, and loved to shoot small bore rifles for target practice. Can rifles be purchased in Thailand the same way as pistols, and where would be the best place to look. BKK ?

3. I have seen a vehicle in Khon Kaen with "Black Hawk air rifle Club" painted on the rear window. Can I assume there are also shooting clubs for the high powered rifles and hand guns as well, and where would I look for them?

Thanks for all the great advise I have read in this forum. I have only been here since February.

Shooter

Yes, you are correct that the .38 is larger than the 9mm - when my wife got the permit the guy in the town hall didn't want to give her a permit for the 9mm because he thought it was too big, so he gave her a .38 permit! Obviously he didn't know either.

Initially we were told that the gun could only be kept in the house but we have a special need to carry a gun and this was OK'd - I'm not sure if this is on the permit though.

Rifles can be purchased in Bkk.

In Sisaket there is a number of shooting ranges in the municipal sports college where they also give training on gun usage. The police directed us to it.

Shooter

Hmm. Shooter, for someone with such a professed depth of experience in firearms you sure leave a few questions waiting to be answered.

1. Quote "Witht he double action revolver you would push off safty" *Unless I have been out of the game for too long, I have never used/heard about a DA revolver with a manual "safty" (safety).

2. Quote "With a semi auto. you would push off safety, then you must grasp the barrel and slide the action.." *Never heard of anyone grasping a barrel of a semi auto to action it. Maybe it is the SLIDE you were thinking of grasping to action/cycle the weapon?

3. Quote "Also, if the lady actually has to use that gun, I doubt she would be able to pull the action open to cock the gun and insert a round into the chamber without a lot of practice." *Huh? So no lady can never be trained to grasp a semi auto pistol's slide to action the weapon? Better tell that to hundreds of thousands of female cops, military and shock even civilians who routinely use these pistols.

Perhaps you also meant that the magazine would feed a round into the chamber (breech) once the slide is actioned. The way I read it, the lady physically has to put a round into the breech.

4. Quote "With a semi auto. you would push off safety," *How about if the female (or male?) is using a Glock or similar? No external safeties that I know about, 3 internal yes but if there is a live round in the breech - squeeze the trigger to the rear and it goes bang.

I could go on about other holes in your post but I won't.

If your self stated qualifications are indeed fact then I wonder about all those positions you held with all those organisations. Hmm.

You should cycle your rounds more than what you are...every month if you keep the gun loaded 24/7. Always, Always, at least a round short in the magazine...Glocks are notorious for stovepiping a round if they are fully loaded ( In a high capacity magazine )

I hope that you're also cleaning those magazines and inspecting those springs, not just shuffling rounds from one to the other.. :o

I always find it funny of a gun user who dosen't like to get his hands dirty...you might as well clean your own weapon, your hands have gunpower all over 'em after firing your gun..

I want to clean and inspect my own weapon...after all, it only has to malfunction one time for deadly results to occur. I consider it a "life support function" and I do not depend on others for that.

I give up... :D

Thanks for the advice, but I think my current schedule is more than well within standard Glock magazine performance perameters as well as well within limits for ammo storage (I've had ammo stored for 15+ years before that fired flawlessly). Again, I always load two rounds short, and I should also add that in addition to cycling out the rounds every few months, I replace the magazines completely every 3-4 years. Have never had a stovepipe jam to date, have had a fire misfire rounds with brand new locally made ammo (Bullet Thai and Thai Arms), but never with my 'ready to fire' Winchester loads.

I most certainly inspect my weapons and oversee the cleaning, I just don't do it myself. Same with my automobile maintainence. When I fly, I also depend on hundreds of unseen commercial aircraft maintainence folks as well. My philosophy is to stay well within the limits with multiple redundancies (other firearms, changing out parts, paint, computer components, flash drives, etc. etc. well before their expected expiration dates), hence negating the need (IMO) to get one's own hands dirty.

:D

It's no different than buying property in your spouse's name if you can't legally do so yourself. Doing so doesn't mean the gun, townhouse, or bird feeder is not *family* property.

:o

"Knute Rockne once said: "thye best offense is a good defense". Get that gun out and start shooting. Anywhere, thru doors and windows and I can just about guarantee that the intruder will be leaving in high gear". No one "out runs" a bullet. So when you get that gun out, you must be ready, willing and able to use it. And you also taught them that if they shoot someone who is "running away", the state will own your ass!!!

Just so I don't sound like some armchair expert, I should tell you that for many years I was a certified firearms instructor for the NRA, a shootings sport cunselor for many years with the Boy Scouts of America, A senior hunter safty instructor for the state of Maryland and a certified senior Range Officer for both that state, and the NRA. Also, I gave private lessons to "would be" hand gun owners for self defense most of whom were women. So I do speak from training and experience. "

And you teach people this??? :o

You do understand that you have a liability when you teach someone to just "start shooting, anywhere" ..

To say and or teach something as so irresponsible as that statement, I'm surprised you have escaped legal action ( so far, cause your liability does not end when the class does.) or just lucky someone who you have taught hasn't shot someone yet.

Just to keep this thread running forever, can somebody tell me why some people hold pistols/revolvers sideways in there fist rather than the normal upright-look down the sights mode?

No real benefit Lickey other than "looking cool" or "I wanna be like my bro's in da hood". There are some tactical uses for that method of sighting & firing a semi auto pistol (due to the empty cases being ejected after firing) but in reality used few & far between.

Except of course "in da hood".

I was sent this a while ago, check it out :o

post-55581-1217129330_thumb.jpg