Gun

Amsterdam

Those gun sights are really neat.

If I put those on my Glock, will it make me look like Will Smith?

I'm not black and I am over 70 years old but I want to look like Will Smith, my action hero. I am in shape, if you consider "round" a shape.

.......OK, how about an aging Bruce Willis, if I shave my head?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchasing a gun

I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

• Dos anyone know of a gun shop in Buriram/Korat/Surin? Address or phone number would be great.
  • Is it better to travel to Bangkok to purchase a gun there?
  • Any idea what new run of the mill 9mm would cost?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am shocked & amazed to see the number of "trigger happy" people here. If people from a "certain" country have their way, Thailand will end up having the second highest gun related tragedies in the world.

Quite simply, the more guns you have, the more you are at risk.

Question: How does one reduce crime?

Answer: Eliminate the reason/need for crime.

I am shocked & amazed to see the number of "trigger happy" people here. If people from a "certain" country have their way, Thailand will end up having the second highest gun related tragedies in the world.

Quite simply, the more guns you have, the more you are at risk.

Question: How does one reduce crime?

Answer: Eliminate the reason/need for crime.

How does one reduce crime?

Get people from a "certain" country to shoot the bad guys and protect the knife carrying victims. :o

Edited by chuckd

• 2 weeks later...
I am a member of our local gun club, in fact most of the long stay expats are.

The club is owned and run by the police, we can purchase a fire-arm, but not in our own name, and it can never be taken out of the club...... as it's illegal.

So basically, what you are saying Thaddeus is that while it is illegal for a foreigner to purchase a gun, there are ways around this? I don't think that the OP is interested in keeping a gun at a gun club anyway - at least that's the impression I get from his post.

Having had firearms here from handguns to fully-auto assaults etc. You can pick and choose here go to the border What do people want?........to be sure that "farang" can't shoot back???....get a life!..........you can own in our countries what makes you think there's not going to be "return fire" here???? be careful in our countries.

• 1 month later...

I can now imagine the kind of grief you folks are going to give me. I should start a thread asking about gun ownership in Phuket Forum but I think I best do it here to draw the fire away from the Phuket Forum.

Ok, I have training as a police officer in Singapore. I also did IPSC shooting long time back. I've been to USA and understand about conceal carry.

Now, me being a short fat chinese female with a father that has some small businesses in Thailand/Cambodia & dunno where else... (expecting some kidnapping.)

And I broke my right wrist recently on a motorcycle accident and cant be expected to throw any men or carry stuffs heavy enough to swing and break some balls. (expecting bulgary & assault.

Is it possible, a foreign asian female like myself, be allowed a shotgun for home & travel protection, and a handgun in conceal carry on person?

Jesus .... that's definitely it .... I'm going back to bed for a couple of months.

OK Thad you do that and I will wake you up if Weekend Warrior surfaces again :o

Seriously, I think viciouskitty74 would be better to post this in the General forum (no pun intended BTW) :D

In the words of Ringo... Peace and Love

Dave

Do I want one or need one? Probably, in my mind, a little of both. I NEED one for self protection and I WANT one for the same reason. It might be protection from a 2 meter cobra in my garden or a 1.8 meter thug with a knife. Either way, the need is there..ergo, the want exists.

Are there any simple solutions to this ongoing discussion? Probably not, but I will at least let you have the last word on it. Small words would be appreciated. :D

Good post Chuckd - hope you don't make it your last.

Ok, small words it is then. :D

If your primary concern is ego, bravado and a show of masculine strength, a gun may well serve your purposes. If on the other hand your primary concern is simply the welfare of yourself and your family, whether it be a 2 meter snake or a 1.8 meter thug, your best option is to simply walk or if necessary run away. Neither snakes nor thugs will be bothered to chase you. For what?

Having a weapon, whether it be a gun, a knife or whatever, gives you that choice, to flee or to fight, and i think that with the exception of the likes of John who previously posted on this thread, who has professional training and first hand experience of dealing with life threatening situations, the general public just doesn't have the wherewithall to be making the right choice, especially in times of high stress and panic. John also made the point himself that there's a lot of ignorance out there, not only concerning the equipment but also in terms of how and when guns should be used - words which seemed to fall on largely deaf ears.

Now i know that running from a fight might go against a man's better testosterone affected judgement (especially if his castle is under attack), and noone wants to be seen as a coward, but the truth is if you really want to do what's best for your family, you'll put all those issues to one side and just put distance between your family and the danger. It's simply the easiest option with the least probability of things getting ugly.

Ironically, not having a gun (or weapon of any description) will more often than not save your life, or save you from injury.

Having a gun (or weapon) will draw you towards danger when you should be headed in the other direction.

Just my opinion, for what little it's worth. :D

Best post/advice so far, Brilliant,. :o

Ive been watching from the sidelines for a while, but i have to say that in most gun related news articles its nearly always the "bad guys " that are mixed up with public shootings ,gang related warfare etc,.i dont think ive ever read that a housewife under attack shot an intruder,.( although im sure one has ) i personally am terrified of guns but im sure it gives some peace of mind to some to have one,.im sure gun ownership must also rely on ones temperment and there lies the problem, this is where people have to rely on their own honesty, would you shoot someone in a road rage incident, or for a personal insult or similar,.?,.how do you know ?,. im absolutly sure that most if not all the people commenting on here are not criminals with intent to kill someone,but i do know that if you ever pull the trigger your life will never be the same, unless you have no conscience or are of course a criminal,.i pray you never have to,.

Edited by GayGordon

Jesus .... that's definitely it .... I'm going back to bed for a couple of months.

OK Thad you do that and I will wake you up if Weekend Warrior surfaces again :o

Seriously, I think viciouskitty74 would be better to post this in the General forum (no pun intended BTW) :D

In the words of Ringo... Peace and Love

Dave

There is no such thread at General Forum. *pout*

Besides, you folks are talking here like those big bad farangs owning a gun to terrorise the normal folks.

I just need some input as to how small size petite females expecting danger should have access to firepower or not. Not as if you boys are going to be running to my rescue, thats myth and I know it.

• 4 weeks later...

Wang Burapha, the Old Siam Shopping center. About a dozen stores in the actual shopping center with the rest on the street opposite (you'll be able to tell which side, because they are the ones with all the guns in the windows) making up the rest of 'gun shop row.'

:o

• 2 weeks later...
Just to keep this thread running forever, can somebody tell me why some people hold pistols/revolvers sideways in there fist rather than the normal upright-look down the sights mode?

This is only crap you see in the movies, in real life if you try that you will miss the target.

• 3 months later...
Just to keep this thread running forever, can somebody tell me why some people hold pistols/revolvers sideways in there fist rather than the normal upright-look down the sights mode?

This is only crap you see in the movies, in real life if you try that you will miss the target.

You turn sideways to made yourself a smaller target for others to hit you. If you miss the target then you did not practice enough.

You turn sideways to made yourself a smaller target for others to hit you. If you miss the target then you did not practice enough.

:o Not a good start. :D

I take up as many square feet sideways as I do frontways.

Now what do I do? :o

ow about a gun that shoots blanks? Not a joke. Most householders in our village have guns so they are not especially hard to find even though the village is not especially dangerous. However most places also have a crazy drug addict or two who can be expected to make an effort to steal money including sometimes breaking and entering occupied houses a night. Most people would not care to kill anyone with a gun, including a burglar. But a frightening deterrent would be useful.

Well thats it! Ive read this thread from the start, I just thought what a lot of rubbish, 9mm too powerfull !! get a shotgun do less damage! and now (You turn sideways to made yourself a smaller target for others to hit you.) The poster WAS talking about holding the pistol sideways!! :o

Just tell the OP what he needs to know :D And lets get on!

• 4 weeks later...
why do you want a gun?

I don't know for the OP but I wish my lady would get a shot gun. We have had too many attempted break-ins while we were in the house. One of these days one of these monkeys just may make it in and I would like to make sure he doesn't make it out. My girl would be more than happy to paint one of our walls with his insides after all we have been through with these a-holes so far.

Good luck when you get your legal obtain gun, to be honest on many many occassions I have wish I had a gun to protect myself on the other if I did there would be many dead dogs, sad and even worse a misshot and a bystander could be hit, so for me no thanks on a gun. It goes without saying do be careful and keep the gun in a very safe play.

why do you want a gun?

I don't know for the OP but I wish my lady would get a shot gun. We have had too many attempted break-ins while we were in the house. One of these days one of these monkeys just may make it in and I would like to make sure he doesn't make it out. My girl would be more than happy to paint one of our walls with his insides after all we have been through with these a-holes so far.

I cannot imagine what its like living in a place, with feelings like you two have.

I would rather move and have peace than start the 'mine is bigger than your's' game.

I am very sorry for you & Chok Dee

Dave

Why ,if a responsible person wants to own a gun to protect his family and hopefully never use it, is he looked at as a bad person? Why should the criminals have guns to kill us but if we choose to buy a gun ,for protection to protect our family, are we are looked as bad people? Am I or anyone else a bad person to look after my family and try to protect them? I don't understand. The police and army have guns for protection. Are they bad people? If you could have had a gun and did not and your family got killed does this make you better than a gun owner if you could have saved them?

Edited by JoeInSurin

Why ,if a responsible person wants to own a gun to protect his family and hopefully never use it, is he looked at as a bad person? Why should the criminals have guns to kill us but if we choose to buy a gun ,for protection to protect our family, are we are looked as bad people? Am I or anyone else a bad person to look after my family and try to protect them? I don't understand. The police and army have guns for protection. Are they bad people? If you could have had a gun and did not and your family got killed does this make you better than a gun owner if you could have saved them?

Hi Joe

Not at all, but as I said previously its ILLEGAL for a ferang to own a gun in this country we chose to live in.

Police bad people :) No! but you pay peanuts and get monkeys.

:D

Dave

Hi Joe

Not at all, but as I said previously its ILLEGAL for a ferang to own a gun in this country we chose to live in.

Police bad people :) No! but you pay peanuts and get monkeys.

:D

Dave

A farang can own a gun if he becomes a resident.

I cannot imagine what its like living in a place, with feelings like you two have.

I would rather move and have peace than start the 'mine is bigger than your's' game.

I am very sorry for you & Chok Dee

Dave

I have a gun in the house. We've been burgled twice, once when we were in bed. It makes the wife feel secure, even though it's not a defencive weapon, so I'm happy. The gun we have is a Czech bolt action rifle and I use it for target shooting and the odd chicken.

D t D, please say where you would move to, where armed Thai burglars don't go, as I'd move there. Crime isn't centered on one particular place, it's universal.