Gun

Amsterdam

Amsterdam come on.....that video is a fake and will do nothing but make the anti gun idiots say, see I told you those gun people are crazy.One thing that rixalex is forgeting is that no mater where you live in Thailand, is that,if you are a "farang"you are a "target".You are perseved to be "rich" and even if the area that you live in is considered "safe" you are the one target for the crimanal!This I can attest to as fact.As back in 1969 we were targets and we lived in a safe area in Bangkok,right next to the milatary base.Now it is in rural Issan and we know just about everyone in the area.But that is not the problem it is the crimanals that drive down the road and see the "farang" home.If they know you are armed they go elswere or they get shoot. :D

Happy and on target shooting :)

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, with respect to Amsterdam's OP, gonna throw out a couple of questions here as this seems to have developed into a "home defence" kind of thread now.

1. First shot (as a farang) - shoot to kill or shoot to wound?

Personaly, I'll stick one up into the air (or more probably, ceiling as we'd be indoors) to scare the bugger but number 2 would be full on. The prob is that if the intruder runs and complains to the police that I (farang) fired at him, that could be bad news for me. Dead men don't talk e.t.c but if that can be avoided.....

2. Make it known you have a gun and are prepared to use it, or keep things quiet for the "tok jai" element?

I prefer the later as otherwise in the (hopefully) rare circumstance that someone does try to intrude into my house (note "bleeding hearts", I said "house", not "property" as my dog can handle outside stuff so long as he is not drugged), they would know I was armed and respond accordingly, therefore raising the stakes significantly.

Now, before some other posters start whinging and moaning, let's realise that the questions I pose are hypothetical and don't deserve the kind of "why do you want a gun" type responses. Please gentlemen (and ladies), keep this civil and too the point. ;-)

And "rixalex" e.t.c, if you really do feel the need to join in/comment, please keep your quotes in context as chuckd highlighted before. No need for tabloid journalism tactics here thanks chaps!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

And "rixalex" e.t.c, if you really do feel the need to join in/comment, please keep your quotes in context as chuckd highlighted before. No need for tabloid journalism tactics here thanks chaps!

Whether i had quoted you in your entirity or not, it would have made no difference.

You were labeling people as being "bleeding heart anti gun posters", and the comments you made that followed that daft generalisation - something about working hard, living in a safe area and times changing - in no way explain or justify you doing so.

You mentioned about cheap tabloid journalism - well who is the one sticking labels on people that you don't agree with?

Rixalex, I have followed your comments throughout this post and there is obviously no reasoning with you. Our respective (and respected) views are poles apart so let's keep on topic and not waste anymore finger sweat on "debate".

I have bought and paid for my house a couple of years ago and yes, things change, such as when I considered buying the house, my neighbour had a single yapping little Shitzu dog. OK, as a dog lover and owner of many years, I could put up with that. Now she has 5 of the yapping little scrotes and I have trouble putting up with that - but tolerate it for the sake of neighbourlieness.

However, what I will not tolerate is the dissolution of a once peaceful neighbourhood (at the time I used fair judgement to buy my house) without my right to react to an adverse situation. Forget moving to a "safer area" - I trust you judge your area as safe but there is nothing to stop social/political shifts from changing that status. Then what are you going to do? keep shifting your family every few years and disrupting your kids schooling e.t.c? No, we all selected our neighbourhoods on the criteria of the perception of being "nice" and a "safe" place to house our families. For me at least, if that perception is threatened, I reserve the right to stand up for what I have paid for and believe in.

As before, I hope you and your loved ones remain safe.

Pikey.

Rixalex, I have followed your comments throughout this post and there is obviously no reasoning with you.

It's not about "no reasoning" - as you point out, we have a difference of opinion. You have yours and i have mine. That's life.

I have bought and paid for my house a couple of years ago and yes, things change, such as when I considered buying the house, my neighbour had a single yapping little Shitzu dog. OK, as a dog lover and owner of many years, I could put up with that. Now she has 5 of the yapping little scrotes and I have trouble putting up with that - but tolerate it for the sake of neighbourlieness.

What are guns for if not doing away with yapping scrotes?! :)

I trust you judge your area as safe but there is nothing to stop social/political shifts from changing that status. Then what are you going to do? keep shifting your family every few years and disrupting your kids schooling e.t.c?

At the end of the day, for me the answer is "yes". Family safety comes first and if i truly believe the threat is real and present enough to require a gun for protection, it wouldn't be a difficult decision. Uprooting family wouldn't be ideal but then again, nor are the alternatives.

As before, I hope you and your loved ones remain safe.

Not sure if that was meant sincerely or all part of making some point but either way thanks and the same to you.

• 4 weeks later...
HI Ricklee,

I am the original OP and a shotgun was purchased I guess about a year ago. The whole threat seems to be more about gun control than my question of where to purchase.

I was thinking to open a new thread to discuss different types of ammunition but that would start the rambling on of some people.

Just to stir up the rambling on of people in this threat I have added this video of hollow point bullets recalled that fail to explode targets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExkUOOXkGtg&feature=fvst

happy shooting

Amsterdam</SPAN>

That YouTube video about Hollow Point Bullets is hilarious satire; "some of these defective bullets can leave an exit wound as small as a plumb; that is unacceptable". The video is quite well produced and well worth a watch. </SPAN>

This thread is so long; most posters seem to agree that non-Thais cannot legally own a gun in Thailand. Can anyone confirm this? I briefly consulted my well-thumbed copy of 'Thai Law for Foreigners' book but couldn't find much.

Other posters have written that a Thai can own a gun if they are over 35 with money in the bank. They need their house book and ID card and pay a fee. Could anyone elaborate please?

Cheers

I'm probably gonna regret this but here goes:

My wife just got her license to own a shotgun and the very helpful shop here in Chiang Mai wanted a copy of her ID card, copy of Tabien Baan, copy of our business registration certificate and 6,500THB for the license fee as a one off payment. She's over 35.

No-one in authority visited our house or interviewed my wife. Price for a new Remington 870 Express 5 shot pump action was 37,000THB and a box of 25 cartridges (Czech made Sellier & Bellot "00") run to 1050THB. Whole process took about a month.

We're both off to the 700 year stadium range tomorrow to get familiar with the weapon as I (farang) am legally allowed to use it but only in the presence of my wife. I cannot transport it e.t.c without my wife being present but assume that I don't have to sit on the front step of the house if my wife goes out and the gun is inside. :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

It is good to hear that you are able to use it if you are with your wife when a nut case on yaba is breaking into your house to kill or rape your family. According to the police what you are doing is legal. I will go to apply for my wifes licence tomorrow. Thanks for the great info..

• 8 months later...
Thank you all for the info. I think that on Friday I will check out gun row in Bangkok. As said I can not own a gun in Thailand but my wife can. I would never dear to shoot a gun :) . I like the shot gun for home protection but my preference this time is for a hand gun. I have checked on the internet what gun prices are in the US and done the conversion in THB. Here is my list of preferred guns.

Walther P99 THB 25.000

Colt 1911-A1 THB 25.000

Browning M1935 THB 20.000

Beretta 92FS THB 21.000

Taurus PT92 THB 17.000

I am curious to see if these guns are available on gun row. I am realistic that these prices are not the same in Thailand but maybe I should be able to pick one up for THB 50.000.

My preferred 9mm for maximum stopping power.

9mm luger Remington golden saber box 124grain HPJ(+p) 25 rds THB 831

Winchester ranger 147 grain SXT 50 rds THB 831

I don't know if I can find this kind of 9mm in Thailand but would be great to have. Once I have seen the shops in Bangkok I will let you all know what I find out there. I will also check out the gun shop mentioned in Buriram on Tuesday if I can find it.

Cheers

Amsterdam

PS: it is not my intention to start a debate about gun's. I only would like to find out and share information on where to purchase them.

Is it legal for a foreigner to use a gun at a Thai gun club when your thai wife owns it. Just a question??

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

Wow, there is so much wrong with this post, I'm not sure where to start. First off, there isn't a .38mm, it's 38 caliber. second, a 38 and a 9mm is the same size bullet, how can one gun be bigger than the other? you did not purchase a .385 S&W there isn't such a thing. If you are going to use the decimal point to indicate size in inches, a 38 caliber is .357 inches, or 9mm

on the first visit we had from the police after one of our house was broken into the police said buy a gun.

as a person who comes froma gun culture i thought it was a good idea.

and imo that is where the waters are parting with many on this thread, they oppose guns because they were not raised around them, on the other hand many of the people i know had dozens of them around the house and i have never known anyone who has had a child or any family memeber killed while playing with guns. but i know many who sleep a sound sleep with a gun under their pillow.

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

Wow, there is so much wrong with this post, I'm not sure where to start. First off, there isn't a .38mm, it's 38 caliber. second, a 38 and a 9mm is the same size bullet, how can one gun be bigger than the other? you did not purchase a .385 S&W there isn't such a thing. If you are going to use the decimal point to indicate size in inches, a 38 caliber is .357 inches, or 9mm

Please read post #321 of this topic

Who needs a gun besides the one our lord attached to our groins??

The lord didn't make all groins equal, so some compensation is often required by those less well blessed. ( Mine's a Magnum by the way.)

Who needs a gun besides the one our lord attached to our groins??

The lord didn't make all groins equal, so some compensation is often required by those less well blessed. ( Mine's a Magnum by the way.)

Yeah, but quite a few of us are packing Derringers.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I haver my doubts as to your knowledge of guns, ammo or ballistics. I shoot a 92sf beretta and own a dozen or more hand guns.

Firstly, a 9mm is a piece of crap when it comes to stopping power. Throw weight is minimal. Only a head shot will stop a man unless a lucky hit to a vital organ,. Brand and bullet makes no difference. It is an archaic caliber. Most All law enforcement have switched to 45 or 10mm. State of the art is Glock. My 45 Glock is the standard for putting down a bad man or a truck. To be sure, just buy a Remington 870 pump or a mag 10 and forget the handgun. If you have no experience forget the handgun completely and go with a shotgun. Guns for self defense are near useless in untrained hands and will get you killed in a firefight.

shit happens fast in 10 seconds at a range of 7 meters or less. Not a lot of time for thinking and aiming. If you must buy a hand gun stay away from the Beretta as it is too heavy and has a sloppy action. Thye Browning is old school single action and was designed nearly 65 years ago. Buy a Sig double action or Glock and don't even think about the clones or China garbage. Good hunting

Thank you all for the info. I think that on Friday I will check out gun row in Bangkok. As said I can not own a gun in Thailand but my wife can. I would never dear to shoot a gun :) . I like the shot gun for home protection but my preference this time is for a hand gun. I have checked on the internet what gun prices are in the US and done the conversion in THB. Here is my list of preferred guns.

Walther P99 THB 25.000

Colt 1911-A1 THB 25.000

Browning M1935 THB 20.000

Beretta 92FS THB 21.000

Taurus PT92 THB 17.000

I am curious to see if these guns are available on gun row. I am realistic that these prices are not the same in Thailand but maybe I should be able to pick one up for THB 50.000.

My preferred 9mm for maximum stopping power.

9mm luger Remington golden saber box 124grain HPJ(+p) 25 rds THB 831

Winchester ranger 147 grain SXT 50 rds THB 831

I don't know if I can find this kind of 9mm in Thailand but would be great to have. Once I have seen the shops in Bangkok I will let you all know what I find out there. I will also check out the gun shop mentioned in Buriram on Tuesday if I can find it.

Cheers

Amsterdam

PS: it is not my intention to start a debate about gun's. I only would like to find out and share information on where to purchase them.

The guy wants to legally buy a gun for his wife and keep it in the house legally, but if some dirtbag criminal breaks in and he feels threatened, he might be forced to break the law in order to preserve his own life. Why would anyone have an issue with that? :)

As the 'ol saying goes UG, Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

Thats if he dosen't shoot himself in the foot first.

It's almost been 2 years since this guy wanted to buy a weapon..wonder if he ever did?

• 2 months later...
A foreigner (farang :) ) can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm.

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

Hello Soundman, i know this is an old tread but instead to open a new one, i thought was better to use this one....

Are you aware of any "farang" in our area that succesfully obtained,legally, a firearm? or how can you prove that you have been victim of a house burglary when the police refuse to write down anything about it, despite having the thief confessing what he did.....yes it sounds unreal but this is Thailand, what can we do....

Many thanks

The guy wants to legally buy a gun for his wife and keep it in the house legally, but if some dirtbag criminal breaks in and he feels threatened, he might be forced to break the law in order to preserve his own life. Why would anyone have an issue with that? :)

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it...

A dirtbag criminal breaks in, and when I confront him, he shoots himself (with the gun that was previously in my possession) because he is so ashamed of his misdeed.

And remember....

Guns don't kill people,

Bullets do~

Edited by Totsagan

I went to the Korat gun shop to order a Remington 870 Express and was told that the government has a ban on gun sales at the moment because of the Red Shirt problems. When the ban will be lifted he did not know. According to the police owner it is legal for me to shoot a gun that is in my wifes name.

The assailant was armed. He was in my house. I was threatened and fearful for my life. I overpowered him and in the struggle his gun went off. He stopped fighting, at that time I beleived he was injured by his own gun. Once I had removed the gun from his hand and checked for vital signs (of which there were none) I called the police to report the matter and deal with it appropriately.

that would seem to be the way to go.

According to the police owner it is legal for me to shoot a gun that is in my wifes name.

and according to a global moderator of this forum, it's legal for a foreigner to own a weapon in his own name, without the need of the wife, so, Mr SoundMan can you substantiate your claims <snip>

Edited by: Toptuan

Reason for edit: Deleted trollish, inflammatory comment.

According to the police owner it is legal for me to shoot a gun that is in my wifes name.

and according to a global moderator of this forum, it's legal for a foreigner to own a weapon in his own name, without the need of the wife, so, Mr SoundMan can you substantiate your claims <snip>

Edited by: Toptuan

Reason for edit: Deleted trollish, inflammatory comment.

He doesn't need to, I will, a farang can own a gun in his own name if he meets the specified criteria, I don't know many, if any, that do.

He doesn't need to, I will

That's interesting, so how do you get this exemption to proof a claim or state a source? :) normally people that have been asked to proof they are telling something in bona fide have no problems to provide more info, the same doesn't happen with other people just telling b/s for whatever reason they do it

a farang can own a gun in his own name if he meets the specified criteria, I don't know many, if any, that do.

Again Thaddeus, thanks for have taken the time to reply to my question, however, can you quote your source or refer to some official material from were you jumped to this conclusion (which hopefully is not just Mr SoundMan post :D ), thanks all.

I rarely jump to conclusions.

I am a member of the local gun club here, and I asked the local Police Chief the same question (the gun club is run by the police and it is at the police station) I got exactly the same response as Soundman gave in his post, so I have no need to doubt its veracity.

You won't find any documentation on the internet, not in English at least, apart from endless forum debates about the rights and wrongs of farangs having weapons, so if you require some rock solid proof I would suggest that you go and see your local Police Chief and ask him yourself.

A farang can legally own a gun it he has a residence permit according to the visa / work permit part of the forum.

Let's rephrase the question: "My wife wants to buy a gun and I want to help her find something that gives good value for money. She might sometimes take the gun to the local gun club where I can legally use her gun in contests."

Edited by myself. I am sorry but I missed the fact that this is a very old and big thread. I'll keep my comment though.

Edited by bow

Why does everyone think that a farang cannot own a gun here legaly????? I had a Jeans manufacturing business with the typical Partner owns 50%, I had 49% and the Lawyer with 1%.

I could own a gun just the same as I could in Canada if I got the proper FAC and took a course (Safe gun handling also). The only stipulation was I would only be able tpo transpot it in my truck between my Business adress and my house and also to the bank where my Business acount was back to the business adress.

Talk to a lawyer if you meet these requirements. The people who are handleing your wifes gun papaers should be able to tell you all about it.

The cost of owning a legal gun here has gone up from about 40,000 THB 10 years ago to around 100,000 THB now.

In Thailand I would not reccomend a 9mm due to ammo is very expensive and hard to get whereas a .38 is easy to buy ammo and get repaired etc.

Theres been both good and bad info posted but things have changed. Government representatives went around two months ago confiscating firearms throughout Isaan. Before this most representatives of the Gov like local politicians and village chiefs were armed for security. Much of that was a hangover from Thaksin who armed villagers in his war on drugs.

As long as you have Yellow Shirt connections you can still get guns. If you are married into Red Shirts forget about it unless you want illegal firearms. The days of armed citizenry, a citizenry who can lawfully defend themselves with firearms, is over in Thailand.

Theres been both good and bad info posted but things have changed. Government representatives went around two months ago confiscating firearms throughout Isaan. Before this most representatives of the Gov like local politicians and village chiefs were armed for security. Much of that was a hangover from Thaksin who armed villagers in his war on drugs.

As long as you have Yellow Shirt connections you can still get guns. If you are married into Red Shirts forget about it unless you want illegal firearms. The days of armed citizenry, a citizenry who can lawfully defend themselves with firearms, is over in Thailand.

Hmmmmmmm.....guess you never read my post above yours. lol.