BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Amsterdam

Gun

I just do not understand.

I worked for over 20 years having to carry a gun.

Now I do not have to and do not want to again. I still own one, but left it back in the US with my brother, a gun collector.

I have taken several human lives. It is horrible. Yes, they were total scum, one was a woman, but still feel horrible about it.

To watch someone die..to see what your weapon did, it's not pretty. It's not clean.

Years after, I still wonder if I did the necessary thing on all but one, where she left me no other choice.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into? An intruder doesn't necessarily have to be a drug crazed nut.

Why you? Farang = money.

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? There could be many reasons, the obvious one is farang = money. For some it could be a love rival, jilted lover, business associate, problem neighbour, jealous sibling, drug dealer, bookmaker & so on. Or is it.."just in case"? If the law can't/wont protect you - the onus is on yourself. I believe that within reason, one should expect & prepare for the unexpected - worst case scenario.

I'm not being a smart ass or lashing out...I'm just curious.

I respect your views which have clearly been fashioned by your previous employment. However, I wont be swayed by the anti-gun brigade. When I do make the permanent move to Thailand - yes, a gun will be added to the family toolkit, along with an electric perimeter security fence, cctv and other measures - you can't put a price on the security & well being of your loved ones.

I never said I was anti gun. I was actually referring to some of the other posters.

I support the right to own one. :o ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

I just advise that if you do own one..you do so responsibly. Of course.

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? Most likely Buriram, but as I suggested - I'd employ such measures wherever I land (provided it's within the law of course) ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family.

I should avoid cars and the roads here considering some people such as yourself choose to drive without a licence. Their are many more people killed in road accidents than by guns.

Oh dear, now you are just making things up.

Are you that desperate to try and win your argument at any cost?

Could you please provide any evidence that I have driven a car without a license.

If you cannot provide any evidence then please stop making these untrue allegations.

I have never driven a car without a license.

Oh, and by the way, having a driving license doesn't make somebody a good driver.

They didn't even test me before providing me with one.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187158

Thank you for providing another link to this thread but there was a link a few pages back. Could you please provide the evidence that I have ever driven a car without a license or else admit that you are just making things up. Thank you

The link only proves you were planning to do what you knew was against the law. Maybe you wised up and never did.

Agreed. It's a matter of personal choice. Always used within the laws of course. Of course we will always have the PC nazis trying to ram their view down our throats.

Agreed. It's a matter of personal choice. Always used within the laws of course. Of course we will always have the PC nazis trying to ram their view down our throats.

As already pointed out many times on this thread, it is not legal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand so it will not be within the law.

Sure Garro. Thanks for that. One size fits all.

Sorry, I don't get it.

Let's hope that the rest of your 10,000 posts make more sense.

As already pointed out many times on this thread, it is not legal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand so it will not be within the law.

You are once again wrong. There are some instances that foreigners can own guns. Garro since you know the law so well show me evidence that a person is not allowed to use the gun of a licenced gun owner in there presence. Or are you just assuming that.

You are once again wrong. There are some instances that foreigners can own guns. Garro since you know the law so well show me evidence that a person is not allowed to use the gun of a licenced gun owner in there presence. Or are you just assuming that.

:o

You have gone from lies to just absurd.

Garro. Are you pro gun or anti gun?

I worked as a trauma nurse so I must admit being anti-guns. I have seen the consequences of people playing Rambo.

I take it by your stupid answer that you have no proof.

As Soundman already stated "A foreigner can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm."

Edited by JoeInSurin

Remember the case of the 20yo kid in Bangkok who, alleging that a bus scratched his Merc drove it up onto a sidewalk & killed some pedestrians? He was mentally f'in ill.

Maybe we should ban cars too?

Don't you think that question shows how ridiculous all this is. That you could even be asking whether someone was pro gun or not. It's like asking, are you pro killing, pro destruction, pro murder...

In America they struggle to find ways of curbing the rise of violent crime... they have kids slaughtering each other in their schools.. and still they scratch their heads wondering what to do about it all. My goodness me, how absurd and stupid is that - it's got make you wonder how these people ever put a man in space.

I take it by your stupid answer that you have no proof.

As Soundman already stated "A foreigner can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm."

Please find a link for this claim.

You have already shown your willingness to lie in order to support an arguement.

While your at it, I am also still waiting for evidence that I drive/drove without a license.

Don't you think that question shows how ridiculous all this is. That you could even be asking whether someone was pro gun or not. It's like asking, are you pro killing, pro destruction, pro murder...

In America they struggle to find ways of curbing the rise of violent crime... they have kids slaughtering each other in their schools.. and still they scratch their heads wondering what to do about it all. My goodness me, how absurd and stupid is that - it's got make you wonder how these people ever put a man in space.

If guns are so bad why is target shooting an Olympic sport. Guns are quite fun if used for target shooting. I would never call a person doing this pro murder, ect. I think you are sterotyping every gun owner to be a Rambo killer.