Gun

Amsterdam

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thaddeus @ 2008-06-17 17:01:28) I am a member of our local gun club, in fact most of the long stay expats are.

The club is owned and run by the police, we can purchase a fire-arm, but not in our own name, and it can never be taken out of the club...... as it's illegal.

So basically, what you are saying Thaddeus is that while it is illegal for a foreigner to purchase a gun, there are ways around this? I don't think that the OP is interested in keeping a gun at a gun club anyway - at least that's the impression I get from his post.

Have you ever heard of borrowing?

Yes i think the most of the people are aware of how easy is to get something in a different way here, but the point is that some other people are also genuinely interested in doing the things LEGALLY and get all the proper paperworks done correctly, so in the unlucky event we have to resort to this kind of means, we do not get stuffed up because we exercised a basic human right to defend ourselfes and our property...so far some very usefull information have been provided by some of the posters here, so it just seems a case to match some specific criterias and get the approval of the big police hief. T

Yes i think the most of the people are aware of how easy is to get something in a different way here, but the point is that some other people are also genuinely interested in doing the things LEGALLY and get all the proper paperworks done correctly, so in the unlucky event we have to resort to this kind of means, we do not get stuffed up because we exercised a basic human right to defend ourselfes and our property...so far some very usefull information have been provided by some of the posters here, so it just seems a case to match some specific criterias and get the approval of the big police hief. T

I think your missing the point, it is impossible to be legal in Thailand. If you want a gun figure out how to get one, but yes, there is a big chance you will eventually get stuffed up. If you read my earlier post you would see anyone associated with Red Shirts aka is from Isaan is no longer authorized legal firearms. You do not have any legal right to defend yourself in Thailand, if you don't believe me no problem, live and learn.

• 4 weeks later...

why are guns so illegal and yet knives are sold on almost every corner? If someone wants to do damage, they will, no matter what kit they can or can't buy.

It was only a matter of time. Somebody turns up to a gunfight with a knife

[*]Any idea what new run of the mill 9mm would cost?

What is the mill 9mm :o

just a friendly tip. if u get styopped by the police then do not tell them that it is your gun in your wifes name. you tell them that it is your wifes gun and she left it in your car. if that is the place where u happened to get stopped !.

forang cannot own gun in thailand. if u admitt to the police that it is your gun in her name only then u can get 9 months. beleive me i know.

if you are married then things might change.

either way never admit to the gun being yours.

[*]Any idea what new run of the mill 9mm would cost?

What is the mill 9mm :o

just a friendly tip. if u get styopped by the police then do not tell them that it is your gun in your wifes name. you tell them that it is your wifes gun and she left it in your car. if that is the place where u happened to get stopped !.

forang cannot own gun in thailand. if u admitt to the police that it is your gun in her name only then u can get 9 months. beleive me i know.

if you are married then things might change.

either way never admit to the gun being yours.

also be carefull of fake papers. your girl friend has to go into the amper office and the mayor has to sign the paper. what paper have u got exactly.

why are guns so illegal and yet knives are sold on almost every corner? If someone wants to do damage, they will, no matter what kit they can or can't buy.

It was only a matter of time. Somebody turns up to a gunfight with a knife

i don't know why forangs cannot get guns with a liscence yet they can gety 1 with out easily and for half the price. i mean sirously if someone was going to shoot someone. they would be very stupid to shoot someone with a liscenced gun.

• 1 month later...

A forienger CANNOT own a gun!

Why do you want to own one even in your wifes name?

You can go to the range and rent a gun! Then shoot it until your hearts content. I am a true redneck from the USA and I owned many guns in my time, but now I live in Thailand and understand what I can and cannot do!

I joined a hunt in 2000 where we hunted off the backs of elephants for game (Tigers, monkeys, etc) and it cost me over 2500 USD. Fun, exciting, YES but once I grew up I realized it was a crazy waste of money.

Leave the guns to the Thai's and enjoy life in Thailand!

KHUNDAN

I hunt sometimes when I go home......and eat what I kill! Turkey, pheasants etc...

Why on earth would you want to shoot a tiger or a monkey? Maybe cauz they aint got them thangs whar yur frum...

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

There must be quite a bit of duty on handguns ,(or big margins) The S&W model 385 in .357 magnum sells for $800 US in the states.

The .357 magnum is a good choice in a revolver as it gives the option of using the magnum shell or the more user friendly .38 if a woman is firing it.

OK show my complete ignorance now - but, how does a .38 calibre shell fit into a .357 barrel? Do you have to hange the barrel? No doubting you, just ignorant.

My mrs had a gun many years ago - it was given to her by her uncle (a cop) - who then took it back when she showed that with her temprement back then it was best not to have one (she was just 16) :D

She would like to do firing range stuff (sport) - what would be the best hand gun for a quite strong, 5 foot, 42KG woman to take up target shooting with? I wouldn't let her use it for home protection as she has a quick temper (and we have kids and I'd never get to sleep at night) - I use a fully loaded 60Kg pet dog for home security instead :D

I used to do rifle shooting (small bore - .22) when I was a cadet - firing mostly Martini's and Lee-Enfield (Mk 8) - but a bike wreck and a smashed wrist limits my ability to shoot now (can't take the recoil) - wrist just swells up lke a balloon!

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

There must be quite a bit of duty on handguns ,(or big margins) The S&W model 385 in .357 magnum sells for $800 US in the states.

The .357 magnum is a good choice in a revolver as it gives the option of using the magnum shell or the more user friendly .38 if a woman is firing it.

OK show my complete ignorance now - but, how does a .38 calibre shell fit into a .357 barrel? Do you have to hange the barrel? No doubting you, just ignorant.

My mrs had a gun many years ago - it was given to her by her uncle (a cop) - who then took it back when she showed that with her temprement back then it was best not to have one (she was just 16) :D

She would like to do firing range stuff (sport) - what would be the best hand gun for a quite strong, 5 foot, 42KG woman to take up target shooting with? I wouldn't let her use it for home protection as she has a quick temper (and we have kids and I'd never get to sleep at night) - I use a fully loaded 60Kg pet dog for home security instead :D

I used to do rifle shooting (small bore - .22) when I was a cadet - firing mostly Martini's and Lee-Enfield (Mk 8) - but a bike wreck and a smashed wrist limits my ability to shoot now (can't take the recoil) - wrist just swells up lke a balloon!

A .38 shell is shorter than a .357 mag and projectile diam is basically the same ,hence .38,s can be fired from a .357 but not vice versa.

I see this as no different as buying anything else in someone's name and using it yourself. How many here have brought cars/motorcycles in their significant others names and use them regularly. Cars/motorcycles can also kill other people just as easily as a gun can. Okay I do concede that cars/motorcycles are not made directly to be a weapon to kill and harm others. But at the same time neither are guns, the intentions of the person holding the gun is directly responsible to the actions taken by the gun. If their intention was the use the gun as a paperweight then that's all it will be -- if it's to murder someone..... I don't think the OP has any intention of using this object to go out and randomly shoot people on the street; just as others who buy cars in their wives names don't intend to drive while recklessly drunk and run over school children.

My gf's father carries a gun with him all the time, an old habit from when he was in business he says. He showed it to me the other day, it's a real antique !

By his own admission, it hasn't been fired for more 10 years. Is there any risk to to shoot with a gun that hasn't been used for so long ?

Edited by JurgenG

• 2 weeks later...
How can you own a gun in your wifes name??????

If the documents are done with the wifes name on surely its her gun and you cannot touch it as you havent got a license.Also i thought that farangs cannot legaly own a gun???

That's why it's put in the wifes name.............................. :o

So let me see if I understand this correctly.

The OP is requesting how he can illegally acquire a gun and people here are trying to help him.

I always thought that acquiring firearms illegally was a pretty serious criminal offence.

Will you be telling him how to make home-made explosives later?

Yes you just need Weedkiller and White sugar.

My gf's father carries a gun with him all the time, an old habit from when he was in business he says. He showed it to me the other day, it's a real antique !

By his own admission, it hasn't been fired for more 10 years. Is there any risk to to shoot with a gun that hasn't been used for so long ?

Yes, but only to himself.

What other mechanical device would work effectively after being idle,unmaintained(thats a guess BTW) for 10 years???

A farang can get a gun permit and legally own a gun in Thailand but it isn't easy. For the people that keep trying to say no farang can get a gun permit please read the following.

As far as I know it is not easy for Us Farang to do legally, however I have been offered Guns on a number of occasions through various people that I know. Last week I was offered a 9mm , please don't ask me what type, as I am not into guns and I was more interested in drinking a cold beer - but the price was pretty good.

Edited by Tywais
Link to BP deleted

• 2 months later...
I want a gun for home protection. A copal of rounds in the air will scare off an intruder. Shooting an intruder would be of last resort.

This one statement alone tells me that you have NO experience and or training in the proper use of a firearm.

My friend...

Go buy it...if you must.

A wheel gun, not a semi automatic.

But please seek out professional training prior to using it.

a foreigner can own a gun in your wifes name. though it is like most thing in thailand. it is no problem unless the police want to make a problem and beleive me from my experience they can.

u can get 9 month just for possession of your wifes gun. if u are carrying her gun and if u admit and sign that it is yr gun in her name then u r in real problems.

if u do get a pull and your wife is not with you. then do not sign anything with out a lawyer. u will be taken to the police station and u will have to pay bail. then your lawyer will advise you from there. beleive me it will be a hell of a few months.

u can use it on yourtr land. make sure your misses is with u and fire into the ground. do not fire into the air as the bullets come back down.

if u see an intruder then only fire a warning shots. it is bettere for paper work if u do not shot and kill or even hit with the gun becuase u will have to go to the police station and u will have to make a statement and sign it in thai. i recomend that the first person u call if u shoot an intruder would be a lawyer and go down the police station with u and your wife and the lawyer.

rememeber u r a forang and the police will want to bleed this case dry. so u will need very good honest people on your side or your case might never go away and u could be liturally paying for the rest of your life.

if i was you i would fire a few shots into the ground every now and then. just to let the locals that u r no mug and what ever u do. do not show it off. do not bost to toerh thais that u have a gun or u will have trouble.

u have to understand that many thai apply for gun liscence and they get denied so if a forgener goes round showing off that they have a legal gun then the thais will get jelous. 1 because they want what u have. 2 because u r a forgner showing off your power.

in this case u will not have power for very long.

the reason why forgieners cannot have gun liscences is because we can shoot people then go home and not come back.

i agree it is a stupid law but that is the law. not my law. personally i think if someone wants a gun and registers it to the owner. thai or forang then the fire arms will less likely be miss used because it can be traced back. where is if a foranger wants and illegal firearm then he can just shoot and through it away then it is easier to do the same crime and get away with it bu that is how it is.

A thai person told me that thai stick to 3 main rules.

if u have a gun u tell noone that u have 1 or if u do tell someone then u never show it.

u never pick up strangers in your car

and u never get involved or invite people to your crowd that are involved in drugs.

happy trigger happy :jap:

A farang can get a gun permit and legally own a gun in Thailand but it isn't easy. For the people that keep trying to say no farang can get a gun permit please read the following.

As far as I know it is not easy for Us Farang to do legally, however I have been offered Guns on a number of occasions through various people that I know. Last week I was offered a 9mm , please don't ask me what type, as I am not into guns and I was more interested in drinking a cold beer - but the price was pretty good.

i think that the laws very from provence to provence. thai such as lawyers can have multy provence liscences and the laws change in the troubles southern provences such as yala and pattani.

though a lawayer told me that if u have a liscence in your own country then in some cases it is possible to use that liscence to make a permit for a gun over here but being british the bloody govement took away our right to own fire arms so for me it is pointless.

though i would never purchase a legal firearm with the intension of shooting someone. i would rarther live my days outside prison than inside.

anyway cars kill more people out here than guns and anyone can own a car legally lol

• 2 weeks later...

so is this gun being purchased from your father-in-law by you for your wife or your wife purchasing it for her in your name to shoot your father-in-law

or is the father-in-law putting up the money for you to buy the gun for your wife to use at your father-in-laws gun club?

where does the mother-in-law come into this? blink.gif