BANGKOK 24 April 2019 17:08
Sign in to follow this  
Amsterdam

Gun

'Rixalex' you answered your question yourself "nowhere is completely safe". I actually do live in a peaceful rural Isaan village.

Someone broke into your house and entered your bedroom, which made you decide to arm yourself for protection. Hmmm, well to me, that doesn't sound like a peaceful area.

Where criminals come from makes no difference - if they are commiting crime in your area then it's your area that is dangerous - not the area that the criminals come from.

"Nowhere is completely safe" doesn't answer the question because as i stated, some areas are more dangerous than others. I choose to live in an area where the risk is small enough to not require having a gun in my home. Is there still a risk? No doubt the doom-mongers amongst us would say so, but just as i drive a car despite the risk of accident on the basis that the advantages outweigh the risks, i choose to not bring a gun into my home as the advantages of not bringing more lethal weapons into society outweighs the risks of not having deadly protection from an attacker.

For you, you have obviously calculated that all the negative issues regarding bringing a gun into your local community and the sanctity of your home are outweighed by the positives of being able to kill an intruder should you need to. That tells me that either you don't care much about the negative issues, or that the risk you face is very real. If it is the later, you should put your family first and move them somewhere safer. And before you say it, yes i know, completely safe places don't exist, but safer places do.

Someone broke into your house and entered your bedroom, which made you decide to arm yourself for protection. Hmmm, well to me, that doesn't sound like a peaceful area.
If you go through the previous threads you will find that I never mentioned once that I 'decided to arm myself for protection'. I was once given a gun by a policeman. I never said I took it. We currently have a gun in the house, but it's not a defensive weapon. It's a rifle that I use for target shooting. I have never indicated, or said, that I have a gun to defend my property. You're in too much of a hurry 'rixalex', in trying to make someone look stupid. Slow down, check your facts, and then you won't make yourself to be as dumb as you appear.

I've just checked as to where you live, Bangkok. So Bangkok is a safer place to live than rural Isaan ? I'll bear it in mind if I have to move. Thanks

Edited by coventry

I was once given a gun by a policeman. I never said I took it.

Well then you weren't given a gun, you were offered one.

So Bangkok is a safer place to live than rural Isaan ?

Hard for me to say as i've never lived in Isaan. What i do know is that i feel very safe where i am and have never considered the need to have a gun. If i ever did, i would move immediately - and it would be a very easy decision.

When you join any shooting class in Thailand. They ask for copies of your ID card and residnet registration. And of course, a signed statement that you won't sue them if accident happens..

I don't think many criminals are attracted to it.

Even if there few criminals got trained, many more trained good guys outweights the bad effect.

I'm probably gonna regret this but here goes:

My wife just got her license to own a shotgun and the very helpful shop here in Chiang Mai wanted a copy of her ID card, copy of Tabien Baan, copy of our business registration certificate and 6,500THB for the license fee as a one off payment. She's over 35.

No-one in authority visited our house or interviewed my wife. Price for a new Remington 870 Express 5 shot pump action was 37,000THB and a box of 25 cartridges (Czech made Sellier & Bellot "00") run to 1050THB. Whole process took about a month.

We're both off to the 700 year stadium range tomorrow to get familiar with the weapon as I (farang) am legally allowed to use it but only in the presence of my wife. I cannot transport it e.t.c without my wife being present but assume that I don't have to sit on the front step of the house if my wife goes out and the gun is inside. :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Thanks for the information, Pikey.

Stay safe.

I am sorry for asking a question that is almost certainly answered in this thread but it is bloody long.

1. I know farangs cant own guns.

2. I know that Thais can with the necessary permits.

However, is it illegal for a farang to use a gun belonging to someone else. Again I realize that if you shoot someone and kill them you might be charged with murder, so in that sense it is illegal (or numerous others).

My assumption would be that it is fine to use someone elses weapon so long as you do not commit an illegal act with it.

BTW to the extent I pay for a weapon for my GF (apart from perhaps being extremely foolish) I assume it doesnt make me liable for any illegal act she does with it.

Chuckd, thanks for the "stay safe" and that is exactly what I intend to do. There has been a lot of "opinions" in this thread, but you, "Heng", "Kenai", "oldsparrow" and "gpdjohn", all stand out as voices of reason when it comes to the topic of gun ownership here. Sure, the gun is in my wife's name, as is the house (with usufruct contract), but "we" are a unit and value everything that my previous 25 years of hard work have bought for us here. We're not flash, not rich, but probably considered affluent by our neighbours in the small village that we live in. Most people respect that but some may resent and be jealous of what we have and want it for themselves, without putting in the effort, particularly in these difficult financial times.

My dear departed mum used to emphasise the phrase "insure to be sure" whenever I was considering cutting a corner to save a few quid with motorcycles e.t.c. I look on gun ownership in the same way. Myself and my wife will use the gun at the range for familiarisation and recreational fun, but if it comes down to it and some f*ckhead is removing tiles from my roof in the middle of the night to gain access to my house, I'll shoot first without hesitation and face the consequences later, and in my rare absences, my wife will be trained to do the same. All these bleeding heart anti gun posters can have their opinion but I have bought my house through hard-earned money, am in what I consider a safe area, but times change and I'd rather protect what I have than relocate as I am happy with the wake up calls of the 4am roosters and the 5am dogs!

Cheers & whatever your views, I hope no harm comes to you or your loved ones.

Abrak, read my previous post 1 page back for the current legaleze, at least in CNX,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Wow!! This thread has been alive for a LONG time! I wonder how long ago the OP checked out and if he ever got his gun :)

All these bleeding heart anti gun posters can have their opinion

Always the same. If you favour living in a non-armed society you are labeled as "bleeding heart". It's as daft as anti-gun people labeling all gun owners as "trigger happy red necks".

am in what I consider a safe area,

Obviously not if you feel the need for a gun.

Wow!! This thread has been alive for a LONG time! I wonder how long ago the OP checked out and if he ever got his gun :)

HI Ricklee,

I am the original OP and a shotgun was purchased I guess about a year ago. The whole threat seems to be more about gun control than my question of where to purchase.

I was thinking to open a new thread to discuss different types of ammunition but that would start the rambling on of some people.

Just to stir up the rambling on of people in this threat I have added this video of hollow point bullets recalled that fail to explode targets

happy shooting

Amsterdam

.... All these bleeding heart anti gun posters can have their opinion but I have bought my house through hard-earned money, am in what I consider a safe area, but times change and I'd rather protect what I have than relocate as I am happy with the wake up calls of the 4am roosters and the 5am dogs!

Pikey.

Why not quote the entire statement? It then explains his original statements and there is no need for clarification from another party.

Makes sense to me.

The whole threat seems to be more about gun control than my question of where to purchase.

Perhaps your mistake was in thinking that the purchase of a gun and your right to do so (or that of your wife) were in no way connected.

Amsterdam your OP said,

I should have all the legal documents done by the end of this week to own a gun in my wife name.

You seem surprised/offended that people are commenting on this statement rather than your questions - even though you are asking people to advise you on how to break the law.

I will admit to being firmly anti-gun ownership. but that is not the point here. I am sure even most of those law abiding people who admit to supporting gun ownership would be against people obtaining them illegally.

Okay I admit to some people that this sentence could be misleading but there is nothing illegal going on. Simply purchasing a gun with permit for a Thai national.

If I only asked where a gun shop is people would have started the same conversation asking me if all the legal documents are in order and that only Thai people can own guns. So in both cases including or excluding the statement about obtaining a gun permit I will be challenged by people like you. I only wanted to give some background by letting people know that I don't need help obtaining a gun permit and that the gun is for the wife.

I hope this clears the issue up for you that there is nothing illegal going on. Simply asking about location of gun shops and the price of guns.

Cheers

Amsterdam

Unbelievable!! :)

This guy thinks he is doing nothing wrong!!

"I am buying a gun in my wife's name but I'm not breaking the law" and he believes it! :D

This will end in tears for all involved.

Garanteed!

happy shooting

Those two words used together are just so wrong.