Gun

Amsterdam

Maximum stopping power..a 9mm HA!

From the weapons on your list, you should look at the 1911A1.

The 9mm is too fast a round to have any stopping power at all. Normally will go right through and not knock the socks off anyone you shoot except old women and young kids.

The 45 ACP round travels at around 881fps ( i might be off alittle ) and packs a wallop by being a slower round. More tissue damage and shock.

At work 16 years ago,I shot a woman with an issue 9mm ( she was running at me and my partner with two knives in each hand in a kitchen and less than 10 feet from both of us ) and it took 5 rounds center mass before she even dropped. All the rounds went through her like butter. Took her along time to die and chunks of her were scattered on the wall. ( I'm not kidding...)

Another co-worker shot a man from less than 20 feet 6 times and it didn't kill him, with 4 rounds through the chest. ( 2 more went through his arms )

My department looked closely at the 9mm and decided that it didn't have the power, so we up'd to the 40cal. ( Glock 22 )

The next shooting we had with the 40 proved it's worth. ( a 40 is very close to a 45 round )

I won't go into detail.

Things you might wanna consider if using it for home defense;

Who is in your house that you would want to start spraying rounds around, family, children, pets, friends?

What are your walls made of ?

Proximity of neighbors houses ?

Are you ready to kill family, neighbors, or anyone outside your house after the bullets you shoot pass through your house?

HAve you ever handled a semi automatic weapon in a real stress situation, I mean a REAL stress situation where the weapon could stovepipe a round ( any weapon can, dosent matter who makes it ) and how could you manage to clear that weapon if so?

Are you aware of the 21 foot rule ? That is someone can get to you who is within 21 feet before you could use it ( proven fact ) and KILL YOU????

When you talk of home defense, these and other things must come into your mind, right?

Have you ever, ever shot a human before?

Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

It's not like on TV or shooting at a range.

You don't fire warning shots.

You bring out a weapon to threaten, by god you'd better be prepared to use it on them.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for the info. I think that on Friday I will check out gun row in Bangkok. As said I can not own a gun in Thailand but my wife can. I would never dear to shoot a gun :o . I like the shot gun for home protection but my preference this time is for a hand gun. I have checked on the internet what gun prices are in the US and done the conversion in THB. Here is my list of preferred guns.

Walther P99 THB 25.000

Colt 1911-A1 THB 25.000

Browning M1935 THB 20.000

Beretta 92FS THB 21.000

Taurus PT92 THB 17.000

I am curious to see if these guns are available on gun row. I am realistic that these prices are not the same in Thailand but maybe I should be able to pick one up for THB 50.000.

My preferred 9mm for maximum stopping power.

9mm luger Remington golden saber box 124grain HPJ(+p) 25 rds THB 831

Winchester ranger 147 grain SXT 50 rds THB 831

I don't know if I can find this kind of 9mm in Thailand but would be great to have. Once I have seen the shops in Bangkok I will let you all know what I find out there. I will also check out the gun shop mentioned in Buriram on Tuesday if I can find it.

Cheers

Amsterdam

PS: it is not my intention to start a debate about gun's. I only would like to find out and share information on where to purchase them.

Hello gun lovers!!!

so I am back from Bangkok. I found out that most guns go for around THB 80.000+ 9mm rounds are about 40bht each but you can get discount if you buy in bulk :D . A shot gun can be purchased for about THB 30.000. There where a lot of stores I did not count them but must have been 20+. My next destination will be buriram to see what they sell over there.

I am starting to think that the shot gun is a better purchase as we live on 60+ rai. The range of the shot gun is further and the fear effect is greater. I have to admit that the cost aspect has to do with is as well. I think that my wifer might have to change her permit from a 9mm to a shotgun.

Well I will keep you posted on the buriram shops and what the final gun will be.

cheers

Amterdam

I would suggest asking your wife if she wants a shotgun or a handgun if it's to be in her name.

My wife (Thai) can hardly even pick up a neighbours pump action let alone point it in the right direction.

Something to consider if someone should ever get shot as the police are sure to ask just who fired the gun.

Thaddeus:

I did begin slaying small furry animals at a young age, however, so I am quite adept at that

I do believe in reincarnation as a matter of fact. I want to come back as a bull in Oregon so I can legally have more than one wife that I don't have to support. This would be a delightful change from my current situation of supporting a current wife and two X's. Human wives can't live off the land like moo cows can.

Wouldnt it be funny if he came back as a SMALL FURRY ANIMAL :D:D:D:D:o

I would suggest asking your wife if she wants a shotgun or a handgun if it's to be in her name.

My wife (Thai) can hardly even pick up a neighbours pump action let alone point it in the right direction.

Something to consider if someone should ever get shot as the police are sure to ask just who fired the gun.

Hi

Don't mess with the boss lady :o

She does not take prisoners!

post-24662-1214327491_thumb.jpg

TBWG (no life insurance!) :D

Hi

She's probably collecting honey :D ................................

Just killing the bees first :D

Hi

Bet that gun would stop the flying rats from cr@pping on yer roof, TBWG!!

BTW Tell her if she ever shoots something, to close/open the other eye then you can aim! :D:D

Sniper Dave

Does that thing have a kick to it?

Hope she wears ear protection when using firearms.

Yup sure does have a kick on it...and would put the boss lady flat on her back if she ever did fire it!!!

Re Dave the Dude .... It would also put a bloody great hole it the roof should I ever decide to use it on the pigeons!! So probably not a good idea :D

TBWG :D (Tall Bloke With Gun)

Edited by TBWG

I am a member of our local gun club, in fact most of the long stay expats are.

The club is owned and run by the police, we can purchase a fire-arm, but not in our own name, and it can never be taken out of the club...... as it's illegal.

So basically, what you are saying Thaddeus is that while it is illegal for a foreigner to purchase a gun, there are ways around this? I don't think that the OP is interested in keeping a gun at a gun club anyway - at least that's the impression I get from his post.

My wife kindly purchased a gun and gave it to me as a birthday present...So, should I go to police and hand it over, given that now it is technically mine although it lives in her safe, in her house (since I can't own a house either)? Or, should I just say it's hers and I use it every now and then?

The club is owned and run by the police, we can purchase a fire-arm, but not in our own name, and it can never be taken out of the club...... as it's illegal.

So basically, what you are saying Thaddeus is that while it is illegal for a foreigner to purchase a gun, there are ways around this? I don't think that the OP is interested in keeping a gun at a gun club anyway - at least that's the impression I get from his post.

My wife kindly purchased a gun and gave it to me as a birthday present...So, should I go to police and hand it over, given that now it is technically mine although it lives in her safe, in her house (since I can't own a house either)? Or, should I just say it's hers and I use it every now and then?

Do what ever you want to do, living here is just one big game of Truth or Consequences isn't it.

I don't know. I suppose a lot would depend on how much you respect Thai law and how much you want to have a gun. The reference to a house is just idiotic as there is nothing to stop you renting/leasing a house or even purchasing a condo. It would not be possible to do this with a gun.

Oh you lucky man............ :D

My wife says only she can use my gun :o

Oh you lucky man............ :D

My wife says only she can use my gun :o

What, no weekends off :D

I don't know. I suppose a lot would depend on how much you respect Thai law and how much you want to have a gun.

You really do need to get off your high horse regarding "how much you respect Thai law".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187158

rgds

Nice to know that somebody reads my old posts. You're not a stalker are you?

The difference with my post was that it was about my wife and I was enquiring about the legality and consequences of the whole thing. She thought it would be fine that she practice in the car before her test without insurance, but I wasn't sure. I also wondered what would happen if a westerner was caught in a similar scenario. I also promptly purchased insurance the next day if you continue trawling through my old posts you will see this.

I suppose that I should be flattered that you pay such attention to my old posts. Just don't start following me, okay? Thanks.

I don't know. I suppose a lot would depend on how much you respect Thai law and how much you want to have a gun.

You really do need to get off your high horse regarding "how much you respect Thai law".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187158

rgds

Nice to know that somebody reads my old posts. You're not a stalker are you?

The difference with my post was that it was about my wife and I was enquiring about the legality and consequences of the whole thing. She thought it would be fine that she practice in the car before her test without insurance, but I wasn't sure. I also wondered what would happen if a westerner was caught in a similar scenario. I also promptly purchased insurance the next day if you continue trawling through my old posts you will see this.

I suppose that I should be flattered that you pay such attention to my old posts. Just don't start following me, okay? Thanks.

A rather poor 'save' all the same. :o

What would others adise I do if a pick up pulls up outside at 3.00am and a few dobgy characters with guns jump out?

If you seriously think there's a possibility of this happening, I'd suggest the best way for you to protect your family would be simply to move to a safer neighbourhood.

Bringing a gun into your home brings with it more danger than it takes away in my opinion.

There is always a possibility that bad things could happen, as crimes do exist,............. :o

but never the less I would like to know where "safe neighbourhoods" are to be found :D

No place on earth is completely safe, but some places are safer than others. These safer places are easy to identify as these are the places where people don't go around armed.

I would suggest that if you feel you need a gun to protect yourself, then you must be living somewhere dangerous.

If i ever felt the need that would be my signal to move elsewhere.

So I guess Finland and Switzerland are the most dangerous countries in the world. Both high levels of gun ownership. I think your what is referred to as a liar.

The fact that you would call somebody a liar on a forum is a sign that you are obviously a bit petulant so I will keep my reply brief. The poster was making the point about 'feeling the need to go around armed' in a country where it is illegal for a foreigner to own guns. Thailand is not Switzerland nor Finland. Legal gun ownership in Switzerland and a foreigner 'going around armed' in Thailand are not the same thing.

Yes thanks Garro - that is the point i was trying to make.

So CTM, you call me a liar for saying that places where people are armed are more dangerous than those places that aren't, and you cite Finland and Switzerland as being examples of places where high gun ownership levels haven't led to violence. Interesting examples - but why have you conveniently ignored the most obvious gun-crazy place in the world?

When you talk of home defense, these and other things must come into your mind, right?

Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

You bring out a weapon to threaten, by god you'd better be prepared to use it on them.

Now here's a man who really knows what he's talking about.

Just how capable do you think you are in a split second and in a highly stressed situation, of deciding at exactly what point you are justified in taking a life?

Shoot too quickly and you could well be sitting behind bars for a very long time, whilst the family that you were trying to protect, lives alone and in danger of being on the end of some nasty retribution.

Shoot too late and you could well find your attacker turning your weapon against you and your family.

Alternatively, don't shoot at all. Use your brain to get your family out of harms way and leave the guns to those who are trained to legally use one and are in a position to deal with the consequences of taking a human life.

Have you ever, ever shot a human before? Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

Just how capable do you think you are in a split second and in a highly stressed situation, of deciding at exactly what point you are justified in taking a life?

Shoot too quickly and you could well be sitting behind bars for a very long time, whilst the family that you were trying to protect, lives alone and in danger of being on the end of some nasty retribution.

Shoot too late and you could well find your attacker turning your weapon against you and your family.

Alternatively, don't shoot at all. Use your brain to get your family out of harms way and leave the guns to those who are trained to legally use one and are in a position to deal with the consequences of taking a human life.

I have not shot a human before. If it was someone looking to to do my family harm I would do it in a second and never have any regrets. If you don't have a gun you have no choice at all. If you do have a gun you have the choice of using your best judgement. I would be quite satisfied being in jail with my family alive and going up against the charge that I protected them in self defence. The family may never have the chance of living alone with me in jail if they are dead without me being smart enough to have have a gun to protect them. Using your brain to get your family out of harms way against a nut case with a gun in foolish at best.

Edited by JoeInSurin

Have you ever, ever shot a human before? Are you ready to prove in court that your life or others were ACTUALLY in danger..the fear of being killed or harmed..remember you must PROVE it.

I have not shot a human before. If it was someone looking to to do my family harm I would do it in a second and never have any regrets. If you don't have a gun you have no choice at all. If you do have a gun you have the choice of using your best judgement. I would be quite satisfied being in jail with my family alive and going up against the charge that I protected them in self defence. The family may never have the chance of living alone with me in jail if they are dead without me being smart enough to have have a gun to protect them. Using your brain to get your family out of harms way against a nut case with a gun in foolish at best.

No the smart ones are those who don't feel the need to have a gun in their house. Not all of us in Thailand have the under-seige mentality. I wouldn't allow a gun any where near my family, and I would never give them the impression that they need to be armed to be safe.

If some drugged nut case breaks in to your house and threatens to kill your family........

You surely don't want to hide in a closet, close your eyes and hope that the Bib will rush to save you :o

No the smart ones are those who don't feel the need to have a gun in their house. Not all of us in Thailand have the under-seige mentality. I wouldn't allow a gun any where near my family, and I would never give them the impression that they need to be armed to be safe.

No the smart ones plan for the worst and hope for the best. A lot of people in

Thailand are naive and don't see the need to be safe in a dangerous environment. I hope you and your family the best.

If some drugged nut case breaks in to your house and threatens to kill your family........

You surely don't want to hide in a closet, close your eyes and hope that the Bib will rush to save you :o

I agree 100%. Some people seem to not see the need to protect their family. I hope them the best.

I agree 100%. Some people seem to not see the need to protect their family. I hope them the best.

Well we will never agree on this. I previously worked as a trauma nurse and saw far too many accidental gun injuries. Rambos getting carried away and shooting the wrong person, themselves or a loved one. Not worth the risk in my opinion. One unstable person waving a gun around is one too many in any confrontation.

Well we will never agree on this. I previously worked as a trauma nurse and saw far too many accidental gun injuries. Rambos getting carried away and shooting the wrong person, themselves or a loved one. Not worth the risk in my opinion. One unstable person waving a gun around is one too many in any confrontation.

Not everyone with the common since to protect their family is a "Rambo'. One unstable person waving a gun around to harm my family while I could have prevented it is one to many in my book. Is a stable person protecting their family from the unstable person that you have seen unwarrented?

Edited by JoeInSurin

How capable are you of protecting your family in a split second if you are not prepared to protect them? Use your brain to get yourself out of harms way with a drugged out nut? Foolishness at best!! Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.

Edited by JoeInSurin

Surprise is the best form of attack,.if you are going to have a gun keep it strictly to yourself, .if a potential robber wants to rob you bad enough and he knows you have a gun it may back fire on you,...ive read most of these posts and there really are some ignorant ( as in unknowing ) people on here, in a panic situation will you be in control ? i seriously doubt it,.will you really be able to walk tall after killing someone ? ,.