Gun

Amsterdam

I just do not understand.

I worked for over 20 years having to carry a gun.

Now I do not have to and do not want to again. I still own one, but left it back in the US with my brother, a gun collector.

I have taken several human lives. It is horrible. Yes, they were total scum, one was a woman, but still feel horrible about it.

To watch someone die..to see what your weapon did, it's not pretty. It's not clean.

Years after, I still wonder if I did the necessary thing on all but one, where she left me no other choice.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into? An intruder doesn't necessarily have to be a drug crazed nut.

Why you? Farang = money.

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? There could be many reasons, the obvious one is farang = money. For some it could be a love rival, jilted lover, business associate, problem neighbour, jealous sibling, drug dealer, bookmaker & so on. Or is it.."just in case"? If the law can't/wont protect you - the onus is on yourself. I believe that within reason, one should expect & prepare for the unexpected - worst case scenario.

I'm not being a smart ass or lashing out...I'm just curious.

I respect your views which have clearly been fashioned by your previous employment. However, I wont be swayed by the anti-gun brigade. When I do make the permanent move to Thailand - yes, a gun will be added to the family toolkit, along with an electric perimeter security fence, cctv and other measures - you can't put a price on the security & well being of your loved ones.

I never said I was anti gun. I was actually referring to some of the other posters.

I support the right to own one. :o ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

I just advise that if you do own one..you do so responsibly. Of course.

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? Most likely Buriram, but as I suggested - I'd employ such measures wherever I land (provided it's within the law of course) ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family.

I should avoid cars and the roads here considering some people such as yourself choose to drive without a licence. Their are many more people killed in road accidents than by guns.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello gun lovers,

I ended up purchasing a shot gun for THB 25.000 and for a box of 25 bullets the price is THB 900. the phone number of the shop is (02) 623-8433, (02) 623-7739. I suggest you call the shop as they will be able to explain the procedure of obtaining the gun license to you.

Cheers

Amsterdam

Now I do not have to and do not want to again. I still own one, but left it back in the US with my brother, a gun collector.

I have taken several human lives. It is horrible. Yes, they were total scum, one was a woman, but still feel horrible about it.

To watch someone die..to see what your weapon did, it's not pretty. It's not clean.

Years after, I still wonder if I did the necessary thing on all but one, where she left me no other choice.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into? An intruder doesn't necessarily have to be a drug crazed nut.

Why you? Farang = money.

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? There could be many reasons, the obvious one is farang = money. For some it could be a love rival, jilted lover, business associate, problem neighbour, jealous sibling, drug dealer, bookmaker & so on. Or is it.."just in case"? If the law can't/wont protect you - the onus is on yourself. I believe that within reason, one should expect & prepare for the unexpected - worst case scenario.

I respect your views which have clearly been fashioned by your previous employment. However, I wont be swayed by the anti-gun brigade. When I do make the permanent move to Thailand - yes, a gun will be added to the family toolkit, along with an electric perimeter security fence, cctv and other measures - you can't put a price on the security & well being of your loved ones.

I never said I was anti gun. I was actually referring to some of the other posters.

I support the right to own one. :o ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? Most likely Buriram, but as I suggested - I'd employ such measures wherever I land (provided it's within the law of course) ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Thanks, but I'll stay on the roads & keep flying - I'll also keep my gun. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family. I wish I felt the same; sadly I live in the real world - a world of increasing threat. I'll take whatever measures I deem fit & proper to counteract this threat.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

I think what this thread has shown is different ways people perceive danger and threat.

To my mind, the likes of Clayton seem to live in a world where any number of dastardly deeds might be lying in wait for them around the next corner. He sounds like a man who is nervous and in my opinion, a touch paranoid.

I'm sure he'll tell us otherwise, but he also sounds like a man who has not lived for a long time in Thailand. I remember when i first came to Thailand ten years ago, i felt more vunerable and at risk, just because the surroundings were new and i didn't know what the level of danger was.

Now i do and i can honestly say, i can't think of anywhere safer to be. I certainly don't need a gun.

Of course the doom mongers will say that nowhere is safe. True enough but nobody can deny that some places are safer than others. And seeing that most of us have the economic freedom to decide where we live, i can't understand why anyone would choose to live in a place where it's necessary to have a gun in the home. I suspect the truth is though, these peole would choose to have a gun if the could, no matter how safe a place was, just because they like the feeling of having a gun.

These people would seem to support the idea of us all having guns for protection. Thinking that through, that would surely mean a lot more guns in the world. One in every home perhaps?

I can't help but wonder what sort of world you want your kids growing up in?

I live in Surin. Would you consider that to be an unsafe place? I have been here 2 years and their has been 8 people shot and killed here in that period of time. Before I lived in Leesburg, Virginia USA for 12 years. A lot of people there hunt and I would guess the vast majority of people have guns in their home.

In the whole 12 years I lived there I can only remember 1 murder.

Was any of the 8 farang? ,i doubt it,. its no different to drug gangs at mossside or watts is it ? ,private ,locals fueds,. we can all pull these figures out,if you move to moss side or similar then yes possibly you will get caught up in the crossfire, i love my family way too much to put them at risk, so these sort of areas are off my residence list,.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family.

I should avoid cars and the roads here considering some people such as yourself choose to drive without a licence. Their are many more people killed in road accidents than by guns.

Oh dear, now you are just making things up.

Are you that desperate to try and win your argument at any cost?

Could you please provide any evidence that I have driven a car without a license.

If you cannot provide any evidence then please stop making these untrue allegations.

I have never driven a car without a license.

Oh, and by the way, having a driving license doesn't make somebody a good driver.

They didn't even test me before providing me with one.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

I support the right to own one. :thumbsup: ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Thanks, but I'll stay on the roads & keep flying - I'll also keep my gun. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family. I wish I felt the same; sadly I live in the real world - a world of increasing threat. I'll take whatever measures I deem fit & proper to counteract this threat.

I think what this thread has shown is different ways people perceive danger and threat.

To my mind, the likes of Clayton seem to live in a world where any number of dastardly deeds might be lying in wait for them around the next corner. He sounds like a man who is nervous and in my opinion, a touch paranoid.

I'm sure he'll tell us otherwise, but he also sounds like a man who has not lived for a long time in Thailand. I remember when i first came to Thailand ten years ago, i felt more vunerable and at risk, just because the surroundings were new and i didn't know what the level of danger was.

Now i do and i can honestly say, i can't think of anywhere safer to be. I certainly don't need a gun.

Of course the doom mongers will say that nowhere is safe. True enough but nobody can deny that some places are safer than others. And seeing that most of us have the economic freedom to decide where we live, i can't understand why anyone would choose to live in a place where it's necessary to have a gun in the home. I suspect the truth is though, these peole would choose to have a gun if the could, no matter how safe a place was, just because they like the feeling of having a gun.

These people would seem to support the idea of us all having guns for protection. Thinking that through, that would surely mean a lot more guns in the world. One in every home perhaps?

I live in Surin. Would you consider that to be an unsafe place? I have been here 2 years and their has been 8 people shot and killed here in that period of time. Before I lived in Leesburg, Virginia USA for 12 years. A lot of people there hunt and I would guess the vast majority of people have guns in their home.

I haven't lived in Surin so can't say how safe it is. I would guess that Bangkok has a higher crime rate though, and i'm sure in the last 2 years a lot more than 8 people have been killed here, but i myself in ten years have never experienced anything violent and feel as safe as is possible to feel. Of course i could get shot tomorrow, but i'll take that risk as i take many other calculated risks, like driving a car.

My question to you Joe is why have you chosen to live in a place that you feel is dangerous - dangerous enough to need a gun for protection? I accept that moving might not be easy but are you saying that your family is not worth the effort that that would take?

I'm also interested to know whether you do indeed agree that a gun in every home is the way we should be going?

Edited by rixalex

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

Could you please provide any evidence that I have driven a car without a license.

If you cannot provide any evidence then please stop making these untrue allegations.

Oh, and by the way, having a driving license doesn't make somebody a good driver.

Its a bit like arguing with smokers, they will say anything to justify their habit,. :D

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

Its a bit like arguing with smokers, they will say anything to justify their habit,. :D

You're right there. These people will use any justification to get their hands on guns. They will even claim they are trying to protect their family by introducing a deadly weapon into the home.

Edited by garro

America has very liberal gun laws.

Thailand has very strict gun laws.

Thailand has 11 times more murders with firearms.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...arms-per-capita

Why do some people feel so safe here? The only places with a worse murder rate by firearms are South Africa and Colombia.

Hey Joe

Those numbers are interesting, but I still feel a lot safer living in your town/country marked the THIRD MOST DANGEROUS than when I used to live in the NUMBER 32'nd safe haven. I worry more about the carnage on the roads here.

Maybe it was something to do with the type of people I associated with, who knows! :D:o

Dave

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

Was any of the 8 farang? ,i doubt it,. its no different to drug gangs at mossside or watts is it ? ,private ,locals fueds,. we can all pull these figures out,if you move to moss side or similar then yes possibly you will get caught up in the crossfire, i love my family way too much to put them at risk, so these sort of areas are off my residence list,.

Surin is probably one of the safest places to live in Thailand. The crime rate here is low for Thailand but still high compared to some countries. Where in Thailand do you live that that is safe and has less crime than Surin?

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

Wanting to own a gun to protect your family is like justifying a smoking habit? What a foolish argument. :D

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187158

I notice that JoeinSurin isn't providing any evidence for his previous comment that I drive/drove a car without a license. Nor has he made an apology. I am sure he thinks that having a big gun is all you need to be in the right.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

Thank you for providing another link to this thread but there was a link a few pages back. Could you please provide the evidence that I have ever driven a car without a license or else admit that you are just making things up. Thank you

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

I haven't lived in Surin so can't say how safe it is. I would guess that Bangkok has a higher crime rate though, and i'm sure in the last 2 years a lot more than 8 people have been killed here, but i myself in ten years have never experienced anything violent and feel as safe as is possible to feel. Of course i could get shot tomorrow, but i'll take that risk as i take many other calculated risks, like driving a car.

My question to you Joe is why have you chosen to live in a place that you feel is dangerous - dangerous enough to need a gun for protection? I accept that moving might not be easy but are you saying that your family is not worth the effort that that would take?

I'm also interested to know whether you do indeed agree that a gun in every home is the way we should be going?

My wife lived with me away from her family for 10 years in the States so I thought I would move here so she could live with her family for a while. While I think it is more dangerous than Virginia I don't think it is bad enough to not live here. I don't have a gun or plan to get one. But I do belive in someone having the right to own one if needed. If I lived out in the rural farm area I might see the need to own one. Farang are much more a target there.

I have to ask though,

Why you? Farang = money.

Quite the contrary..

Thank you for providing another link to this thread but there was a link a few pages back. Could you please provide the evidence that I have ever driven a car without a license or else admit that you are just making things up. Thank you

The link only proves you were planning to do what you knew was against the law. Maybe you wised up and never did.

Agreed. It's a matter of personal choice. Always used within the laws of course. Of course we will always have the PC nazis trying to ram their view down our throats.

As already pointed out many times on this thread, it is not legal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand so it will not be within the law.

Agreed. It's a matter of personal choice. Always used within the laws of course. Of course we will always have the PC nazis trying to ram their view down our throats.

As already pointed out many times on this thread, it is not legal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand so it will not be within the law.

You are once again wrong. There are some instances that foreigners can own guns. Garro since you know the law so well show me evidence that a person is not allowed to use the gun of a licenced gun owner in there presence. Or are you just assuming that.

You are once again wrong. There are some instances that foreigners can own guns. Garro since you know the law so well show me evidence that a person is not allowed to use the gun of a licenced gun owner in there presence. Or are you just assuming that.

:o

You have gone from lies to just absurd.

I take it by your stupid answer that you have no proof.

As Soundman already stated "A foreigner can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm."

Edited by JoeInSurin

Garro. Are you pro gun or anti gun?

Don't you think that question shows how ridiculous all this is. That you could even be asking whether someone was pro gun or not. It's like asking, are you pro killing, pro destruction, pro murder...

In America they struggle to find ways of curbing the rise of violent crime... they have kids slaughtering each other in their schools.. and still they scratch their heads wondering what to do about it all. My goodness me, how absurd and stupid is that - it's got make you wonder how these people ever put a man in space.

I take it by your stupid answer that you have no proof.

As Soundman already stated "A foreigner can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm."

Please find a link for this claim.

You have already shown your willingness to lie in order to support an arguement.

While your at it, I am also still waiting for evidence that I drive/drove without a license.

Garro. Are you pro gun or anti gun?

Don't you think that question shows how ridiculous all this is. That you could even be asking whether someone was pro gun or not. It's like asking, are you pro killing, pro destruction, pro murder...

In America they struggle to find ways of curbing the rise of violent crime... they have kids slaughtering each other in their schools.. and still they scratch their heads wondering what to do about it all. My goodness me, how absurd and stupid is that - it's got make you wonder how these people ever put a man in space.

If guns are so bad why is target shooting an Olympic sport. Guns are quite fun if used for target shooting. I would never call a person doing this pro murder, ect. I think you are sterotyping every gun owner to be a Rambo killer.