Gun

Amsterdam

Remember the case of the 20yo kid in Bangkok who, alleging that a bus scratched his Merc drove it up onto a sidewalk & killed some pedestrians? He was mentally f'in ill.

Maybe we should ban cars too?

Are you joking?

Please tell me that you are not seriously comparing owning a car to owning a gun. Are you?

I'm sorry, but if you can't see the difference...

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. It's a matter of personal choice. Always used within the laws of course. Of course we will always have the PC nazis trying to ram their view down our throats.

As already pointed out many times on this thread, it is not legal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand so it will not be within the law.

You are once again wrong. There are some instances that foreigners can own guns. Garro since you know the law so well show me evidence that a person is not allowed to use the gun of a licenced gun owner in there presence. Or are you just assuming that.

:o

You have gone from lies to just absurd.

I take it by your stupid answer that you have no proof.

As Soundman already stated "A foreigner can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm."

Please find a link for this claim.

You have already shown your willingness to lie in order to support an arguement.

While your at it, I am also still waiting for evidence that I drive/drove without a license.

My evidence was you said you were going to do it in you post. Apprently you lied and didn't.

Agreed. It's a matter of personal choice. Always used within the laws of course. Of course we will always have the PC nazis trying to ram their view down our throats.

As already pointed out many times on this thread, it is not legal for a foreigner to own a gun in Thailand so it will not be within the law.

You are once again wrong. There are some instances that foreigners can own guns. Garro since you know the law so well show me evidence that a person is not allowed to use the gun of a licenced gun owner in there presence. Or are you just assuming that.

As Soundman already stated "A foreigner can apply for a firearm license & legally own a gun in Thailand.

Not hard at all if you fit the criteria which I believe is to be over 30 years old, be on yearly visa extension & can prove that you carry over 1,000,000 Baht in cash for whatever purpose, say business takings, or have been the victim of house burglary.

AKAIK a license will not be granted to a foreigner for recreational use of a firearm."

You have already shown your willingness to lie in order to support an arguement.

While your at it, I am also still waiting for evidence that I drive/drove without a license.

My evidence was you said you were going to do it in you post. Apprently you lied and didn't.

Did I?

The link is there for anybody to read.

I mentioned that it was something I would like to do, and wondered what the consequences were.

The same way as I might say that I would like to win the lottery.

If I say I would like an ice-cream, the fact that I don't get one doesn't make me a liar. Does it?

Now I am sure that you are not that stupid that I needed to explain this but you never know.

The point is that I didn't do it despite your earlier claim that I did - so that means that your claim was false.

If guns are so bad...

:o That's a classic way to start to a sentence! Got any more like that for a chuckle?

How about:

If rape and pillage is so bad...

or perhaps

If the holocaust was that bad...

I'm sure you can find a way to finish those sentences!

Did I?

I mentioned that it was something I would like to do, and wondered what the consequences were.

If I say I would like an ice-cream, the fact that I don't get one doesn't make me a liar. Does it?

Now I am sure that you are not that stupid that I needed to explain this but you never know.

The point is that I didn't do it despite your earlier claim that I did - so that means that your claim was false.

I apologize. Maybe you did maybe you didn't. I don't really know. I don't really care. It is irrelevent to owning a gun.

Remember the case of the 20yo kid in Bangkok who, alleging that a bus scratched his Merc drove it up onto a sidewalk & killed some pedestrians? He was mentally f'in ill.

Maybe we should ban cars too?

You think we should give him a gun?

Did I?

I apologize. Maybe you did maybe you didn't. I don't really know. I don't really care. It is irrelevent to owning a gun.

Why bring it up then?

You are right though this thread has gone way off topic.

Garro. Are you pro gun or anti gun?

Don't you think that question shows how ridiculous all this is. That you could even be asking whether someone was pro gun or not. It's like asking, are you pro killing, pro destruction, pro murder...

In America they struggle to find ways of curbing the rise of violent crime... they have kids slaughtering each other in their schools.. and still they scratch their heads wondering what to do about it all. My goodness me, how absurd and stupid is that - it's got make you wonder how these people ever put a man in space.

Got one word for you. Hunters.

Freedon isn't for everyone. Personal responsibility is part of the bargain.

If guns are so bad...

:D That's a classic way to start to a sentence! Got any more like that for a chuckle?

How about:

or perhaps

So I make a point asking if target shooters as in the Olympics are bad and this is your answer? I hate to put it this way but it seems like you have "run out of ammo" for you anti-gun argument. :o

btw - The Supreme Court of the United States just tossed out the DC handgun ban.

Google it.

Meanwhile I can remember signs in Kennedy airport for over 20 years saying: Possession of handguns is banned in the City of New York.

For information, what is the average range of the average gun average people may own?

For example, I practice shooting in my backyard, I miss the target, at which distance my bullet is still lethal ?

Most people in this country would own a 9mm. Range - can kill at a mile. 1.6 kilometers. Something to think about.

Practice at a range.

That was my point. Thank you.

Hello gun lovers,

I ended up purchasing a shot gun for THB 25.000 and for a box of 25 bullets the price is THB 900. the phone number of the shop is (02) 623-8433, (02) 623-7739. I suggest you call the shop as they will be able to explain the procedure of obtaining the gun license to you.

Cheers

Amsterdam

"Box of 25 bullets"

Oh my gosh...they are NOT bullets but with a shotgun they are called "SHELLS"..shotgun SHELLS. If ya bought what looks like a bullet, they are called "SLUGS"...shotgun SLUGS.

You really need to learn more please.

Good luck with your need "bangstick".

You're gunna need it.

From one of those folks who live in the country who put men in space, on the moon ( several times) and placed 2 rovers on Mars. :o

If guns are so bad...

:o That's a classic way to start to a sentence! Got any more like that for a chuckle?

How about:

or perhaps

So I make a point asking if target shooters as in the Olympics are bad and this is your answer?

Sorry to have made light of your point. And what a good point it was too.

So you think that all this wanton destruction is worth it so that we can preserve a game in the Olympics, or as someone else suggested, to protect the rights and freedoms of those who wish to kill furry animals?

Are those activities that important that it's worth the trade off? I guess they are until it's someone in your family that gets blown away.

I just do not understand.

I worked for over 20 years having to carry a gun.

Now I do not have to and do not want to again. I still own one, but left it back in the US with my brother, a gun collector.

I have taken several human lives. It is horrible. Yes, they were total scum, one was a woman, but still feel horrible about it.

To watch someone die..to see what your weapon did, it's not pretty. It's not clean.

Years after, I still wonder if I did the necessary thing on all but one, where she left me no other choice.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into? An intruder doesn't necessarily have to be a drug crazed nut.

Why you? Farang = money.

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? There could be many reasons, the obvious one is farang = money. For some it could be a love rival, jilted lover, business associate, problem neighbour, jealous sibling, drug dealer, bookmaker & so on. Or is it.."just in case"? If the law can't/wont protect you - the onus is on yourself. I believe that within reason, one should expect & prepare for the unexpected - worst case scenario.

I'm not being a smart ass or lashing out...I'm just curious.

I respect your views which have clearly been fashioned by your previous employment. However, I wont be swayed by the anti-gun brigade. When I do make the permanent move to Thailand - yes, a gun will be added to the family toolkit, along with an electric perimeter security fence, cctv and other measures - you can't put a price on the security & well being of your loved ones.

I never said I was anti gun. I was actually referring to some of the other posters.

I support the right to own one. :o ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

I just advise that if you do own one..you do so responsibly. Of course.

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? Most likely Buriram, but as I suggested - I'd employ such measures wherever I land (provided it's within the law of course) ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Thanks, but I'll stay on the roads & keep flying - I'll also keep my gun. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family. I wish I felt the same; sadly I live in the real world - a world of increasing threat. I'll take whatever measures I deem fit & proper to counteract this threat.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

I think what this thread has shown is different ways people perceive danger and threat.

To my mind, the likes of Clayton seem to live in a world where any number of dastardly deeds might be lying in wait for them around the next corner. He sounds like a man who is nervous and in my opinion, a touch paranoid.

I'm sure he'll tell us otherwise, but he also sounds like a man who has not lived for a long time in Thailand. I remember when i first came to Thailand ten years ago, i felt more vunerable and at risk, just because the surroundings were new and i didn't know what the level of danger was.

Now i do and i can honestly say, i can't think of anywhere safer to be. I certainly don't need a gun.

Of course the doom mongers will say that nowhere is safe. True enough but nobody can deny that some places are safer than others. And seeing that most of us have the economic freedom to decide where we live, i can't understand why anyone would choose to live in a place where it's necessary to have a gun in the home. I suspect the truth is though, these peole would choose to have a gun if the could, no matter how safe a place was, just because they like the feeling of having a gun.

These people would seem to support the idea of us all having guns for protection. Thinking that through, that would surely mean a lot more guns in the world. One in every home perhaps?

I can't help but wonder what sort of world you want your kids growing up in?

Do you have a door, do you lock it, have you got a burglar alarm? I don't consider it being paranoid to use whatever security measures are available; my motorcycle is secured by a disc lock, ground anchor and chain, alarm, the shed containing it is alarmed, I have cctv on the back garden - a gun & an electric fence would just be additional security measures.

I actually agree with you in that I feel very safe in Thailand & unlike yourself, I've never felt vunerable or at risk - but that's no reason to drop your guard. History will tell you that countless champions have fallen through complacency - I don't intend to follow them.

The mother-in-law knows someone who was forced to open her safe at gunpoint. You might be happy to comply in such a situation - I wouldn't. Pop over to the Phuket forum - they're certainly getting worried down there & not without good reason.

Whenever I've been in a position to legally carry firearms, I have always done so & would continue to do so whatever the current security situation.

Some would argue that an armed society is a polite society.

I actually haven't got any kids at present, mostly through selfishness, but partly through my concern that the world in its current state is no fit place to bring children up already.

If guns are so bad...

How about:

or perhaps

So I make a point asking if target shooters as in the Olympics are bad and this is your answer?

So you think that all this wanton destruction is worth it so that we can preserve a game in the Olympics, or as someone else suggested, to protect the rights and freedoms of those who wish to kill furry animals?

Are those activities that important that it's worth the trade off? I guess they are until it's someone in your family that gets blown away.

Are you a vegetarian or do you pay someone else to kill the furry animals for you to eat?

If guns are so bad...

How about:

or perhaps

Are you a vegetarian or do you pay someone else to kill the furry animals for you to eat?

You beat me to it - I was just going to ask him that myself. :D

Hello gun lovers,

I ended up purchasing a shot gun for THB 25.000 and for a box of 25 bullets the price is THB 900. the phone number of the shop is (02) 623-8433, (02) 623-7739. I suggest you call the shop as they will be able to explain the procedure of obtaining the gun license to you.

Cheers

Amsterdam

"Box of 25 bullets"

Oh my gosh...they are NOT bullets but with a shotgun they are called "SHELLS"..shotgun SHELLS. If ya bought what looks like a bullet, they are called "SLUGS"...shotgun SLUGS.

You're gunna need it.

From one of those folks who live in the country who put men in space, on the moon ( several times) and placed 2 rovers on Mars. :o

In the UK we call them cartidges, but they are certainly not bullets.

The founding fathers of the United States, Jefferson Hamilton Frankin et al gave the American people the right to bear arms in case - centuries later - government was taken over by a Hitler type. That we would have the means to defend ourselves & take back our hard won liberties. Let's not kid ourselves Hitler had the Army at his disposal.

One size does not fit all. I do not expect non Americans to have any clue what I am talking about. So no it ain't all about furry animals.

Instead of throwing bricks - try & understand it from the other guys perspective.

The PC nazis are the PC nazis & nothing is going to change their minds. The same bunch want to outlaw cars. How their vegetables get from market to table I have no clue. How they will get their furniture delivered I have no clue.

I sure hope the greeny weenies outlaw flying too. Fat cat Al Gore will be riding a horse.

Edited by dotcom

I have had a good laugh reading the latest posts on this thread. With that thought, let me make a few comments with my tongue appropriately in my cheek. :o

========================

Garro:

Under no circumstances do I think you have ever driven a vehicle without the proper documentation readily at hand. I do not believe you have ever broken the law in any shape, form or fashion and have lived nothing but the most stalwart of lives. OK??? Are we still friends??? :D

========================

Rixalex:

In an earlier post somewhere in this endless thread, I made reference to my earlier lost youth handling weapons of destruction. I did refer to my mayhem as murdering "SMALL' furry animals, not just furry animals. I just think the record needs to be set straight on this matter. JoeinSurin did beat me to the question about your eating habits, though. I was also wondering if you are vegetarian or if you partake of eating dead animals. fish, fowl, etc. Inquiring minds would like to know.

========================

Here is my personal situation. I plan to retire in our newly completed home outside Udorn in the next few months. It is my intent to obtain a legal permit for a shotgun for a number of reasons. We have a small plot of land (2 rai) upon which my lovely bride has planted a number of vegetables. trees and other such greenery. The 2 rai abuts some rather serious jungle, which tends to have some rather serious creatures living within it's boundaries. Not having any desire to have an 8 foot cobra sharing my breakfast on the patio with me, it seems prudent to have some method to dispose of the problem other than yelling "shoo" very loudly. You folks do know that snakes are deaf, don't you.

Another reason might be the occasional rabid animal. There have been a few instances in Thailand of these illnesses taking over dogs and I would, again, like to have a method to dispose of this problem.

The third reason might be the odd burglar that enters my home without my permission and wishes to cause harm to me or my family. If it would make all of you anti-gun folks feel better, I promise to load the SHELL" with rock salt so it won't kill the intruder but will make him regret the day he tried to do me harm. :D

I hope I have allayed all the fears of the anti-gun lobby and you will not fear traveling on the Udorn to Loei highway lest I be out and about. I have handled weapons all my life and feel very comfortable with one. Why, even today I am part of the vast right wing military-industrial complex. :D

I have donned my asbestos underwear and await your vehement protests to my plan. Unfortunately for you, it is unlikely I will pay any attention to your recommendations. :D

The founding fathers of the United States, Jefferson Hamilton Frankin et al gave the American people the right to bear arms in case - centuries later - government was taken over by a Hitler type. That we would have the means to defend ourselves & take back our hard won liberties. Let's not kid ourselves Hitler had the Army at his disposal.

One size does not fit all. I do not expect non Americans to have any clue what I am talking about. So no it ain't all about furry animals.

Instead of throwing bricks - try & understand it from the other guys perspective.

The PC nazis are the PC nazis & nothing is going to change their minds. The same bunch want to outlaw cars. How their vegetables get from market to table I have no clue. How they will get their furniture delivered I have no clue.

I sure hope the greeny weenies outlaw flying too. Fat cat Al Gore will be riding a horse.

As far as I'm aware Thailand is not part of the United States so it doesn't really matter a fiddler's fluck what the founding father's thought.

Edited by garro

I just do not understand.

I worked for over 20 years having to carry a gun.

Now I do not have to and do not want to again. I still own one, but left it back in the US with my brother, a gun collector.

I have taken several human lives. It is horrible. Yes, they were total scum, one was a woman, but still feel horrible about it.

To watch someone die..to see what your weapon did, it's not pretty. It's not clean.

Years after, I still wonder if I did the necessary thing on all but one, where she left me no other choice.

I have to ask though,

Why do some of you feel that a drug crazed nut is going to pick your house to come into? An intruder doesn't necessarily have to be a drug crazed nut.

Why you? Farang = money.

Why do you feel you are going to be the victim of such a crime where the use of deadly force would be needed? There could be many reasons, the obvious one is farang = money. For some it could be a love rival, jilted lover, business associate, problem neighbour, jealous sibling, drug dealer, bookmaker & so on. Or is it.."just in case"? If the law can't/wont protect you - the onus is on yourself. I believe that within reason, one should expect & prepare for the unexpected - worst case scenario.

I'm not being a smart ass or lashing out...I'm just curious.

I respect your views which have clearly been fashioned by your previous employment. However, I wont be swayed by the anti-gun brigade. When I do make the permanent move to Thailand - yes, a gun will be added to the family toolkit, along with an electric perimeter security fence, cctv and other measures - you can't put a price on the security & well being of your loved ones.

I never said I was anti gun. I was actually referring to some of the other posters.

I support the right to own one. :o ( gosh, I'm from the old west for heavens sake, Arizona, where you can still wear a six shooter in public..a friend of mine is even still the Town Marshal of Tombstone. )

Quite the contrary..

I just advise that if you do own one..you do so responsibly. Of course.

Gun, wired fence, cctv and other measures??? What part of Thailand are you moving to???? Most likely Buriram, but as I suggested - I'd employ such measures wherever I land (provided it's within the law of course) ( Sounds like west Los Angeles )

If you are serious about protecting your family from any chance of misfortune then I suggest you avoid cars and airplanes as there is far more risk from this then there is being cornered by a crazed drug fiend in Issan. Thanks, but I'll stay on the roads & keep flying - I'll also keep my gun. Mind you it won't offer the same opportunity to play with guns.

I am so glad that I don't live in a world where I feel the need to imprison my family. I wish I felt the same; sadly I live in the real world - a world of increasing threat. I'll take whatever measures I deem fit & proper to counteract this threat.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

I think what this thread has shown is different ways people perceive danger and threat.

To my mind, the likes of Clayton seem to live in a world where any number of dastardly deeds might be lying in wait for them around the next corner. He sounds like a man who is nervous and in my opinion, a touch paranoid.

I'm sure he'll tell us otherwise, but he also sounds like a man who has not lived for a long time in Thailand. I remember when i first came to Thailand ten years ago, i felt more vunerable and at risk, just because the surroundings were new and i didn't know what the level of danger was.

Now i do and i can honestly say, i can't think of anywhere safer to be. I certainly don't need a gun.

Of course the doom mongers will say that nowhere is safe. True enough but nobody can deny that some places are safer than others. And seeing that most of us have the economic freedom to decide where we live, i can't understand why anyone would choose to live in a place where it's necessary to have a gun in the home. I suspect the truth is though, these peole would choose to have a gun if the could, no matter how safe a place was, just because they like the feeling of having a gun.

These people would seem to support the idea of us all having guns for protection. Thinking that through, that would surely mean a lot more guns in the world. One in every home perhaps?

I can't help but wonder what sort of world you want your kids growing up in?

I live in Surin. Would you consider that to be an unsafe place? I have been here 2 years and their has been 8 people shot and killed here in that period of time. Before I lived in Leesburg, Virginia USA for 12 years. A lot of people there hunt and I would guess the vast majority of people have guns in their home.

In the whole 12 years I lived there I can only remember 1 murder.

Was any of the 8 farang? ,i doubt it,. its no different to drug gangs at mossside or watts is it ? ,private ,locals fueds,. we can all pull these figures out,if you move to moss side or similar then yes possibly you will get caught up in the crossfire, i love my family way too much to put them at risk, so these sort of areas are off my residence list,.

Surin is probably one of the safest places to live in Thailand. The crime rate here is low for Thailand but still high compared to some countries. Where in Thailand do you live that that is safe and has less crime than Surin?

I take it none were farang then, actually name the last farang killed during a break in anywhere in thailand ? ,..you have more chance of winning the lottery than being shot by a burglar,.im off to buy my tickets with the money i had saved for a gun ! :D

Rixalex:

In an earlier post somewhere in this endless thread, I made reference to my earlier lost youth handling weapons of destruction. I did refer to my mayhem as murdering "SMALL' furry animals, not just furry animals. I just think the record needs to be set straight on this matter. JoeinSurin did beat me to the question about your eating habits, though. I was also wondering if you are vegetarian or if you partake of eating dead animals. fish, fowl, etc. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Record needs to be set straight? Not quite sure i follow.

My comments with regards to the killing of furry animals, followed a poster's comment that seemed to suggest that people such as hunters had rights and freedoms that needed to be exercised and preserved. Now by hunters, i assumed he was talking about people who kill for the purposes of culling or as a sport, not the people who kill to put food on our plates.

I have no problem with guns being used for farming, but are you seriously suggesting that the pork i had for lunch was hunted and shot in some remote forest, before being dragged back to Bangkok? Are you suggesting that without firearms i would be unable to eat meat? Modern day animal farming couldn't do without guns? Really, is that true? Whatever the case, guns for farming and guns for the homes and streets are two different issues.

And I really can't fathom why you are suggesting that it's incongruous for one to be against the public at main being armed with guns, but not against the killing of animals for consumption. Talking about killing people and killing animals are two completely different things, don't you agree?

And now my inquiring mind wonders...

I live in a densely populated part of Bangkok. Many hundreds of people live in my vicinity. By your reckoning, we are all at risk from attack. If, with the exception of a few that we deem to be nut-cases, we all go out and buy guns to protect ourselves - let's say one gun for each family - so that my neighbourhood is now awash with guns - you are saying that this is the way to go and if duplicated the world over, would be the solution to violence?

I rather think though in your mind you would be happy for yourself to have a gun, but would prefer it if we didn't all go and do the same.

And finally, in the same way that some of the pro gun brigade felt there was some pigeon holing (i said holing not shooting before you get excited!) going on, with regards to branding all those in favour of guns as being Rambos, i feel there's also a degree of pigeon holing going on with the pro gun group labeling anyone against guns as being some sort of PC tree hugging freak. Personally i feel that both comments about Rambos and PC freaks are just cheap shots, although of course both Rambos and PC freaks exist - just don't make that assumption.

Peace my friends...

Been reading this thread with interest as you could say I am a bit two faced, I have enjoyed shooting as a sport for many years but do not wish to have a firearm in my home for protection purposes.

My question is :- Can a ferang LEGALLY OWN an Air rifle. Not one of those contraptions with a bike pump fitted but a proffessionally made Air Rifle. I would consider buying one to scare away the wildlife/soi dogs.

If it is legal, any idea of prices and local sources to purchase one

Thankz

Dave

Hello gun lovers,

Cheers

Amsterdam

"Box of 25 bullets"

You're gunna need it.

In the UK we call them cartidges, but they are certainly not bullets.

Ammunition ....please !!

I have had a good laugh reading the latest posts on this thread. With that thought, let me make a few comments with my tongue appropriately in my cheek. :o

========================

Garro:

Under no circumstances do I think you have ever driven a vehicle without the proper documentation readily at hand. I do not believe you have ever broken the law in any shape, form or fashion and have lived nothing but the most stalwart of lives. OK??? Are we still friends??? :D

========================

Rixalex:

========================

Here is my personal situation. I plan to retire in our newly completed home outside Udorn in the next few months. It is my intent to obtain a legal permit for a shotgun for a number of reasons. We have a small plot of land (2 rai) upon which my lovely bride has planted a number of vegetables. trees and other such greenery. The 2 rai abuts some rather serious jungle, which tends to have some rather serious creatures living within it's boundaries. Not having any desire to have an 8 foot cobra sharing my breakfast on the patio with me, it seems prudent to have some method to dispose of the problem other than yelling "shoo" very loudly. You folks do know that snakes are deaf, don't you.

Another reason might be the occasional rabid animal. There have been a few instances in Thailand of these illnesses taking over dogs and I would, again, like to have a method to dispose of this problem.

The third reason might be the odd burglar that enters my home without my permission and wishes to cause harm to me or my family. If it would make all of you anti-gun folks feel better, I promise to load the SHELL" with rock salt so it won't kill the intruder but will make him regret the day he tried to do me harm. :D

I hope I have allayed all the fears of the anti-gun lobby and you will not fear traveling on the Udorn to Loei highway lest I be out and about. I have handled weapons all my life and feel very comfortable with one. Why, even today I am part of the vast right wing military-industrial complex. :D

I have donned my asbestos underwear and await your vehement protests to my plan. Unfortunately for you, it is unlikely I will pay any attention to your recommendations. :D

hi,i have been following this thread and i have to chip in.

my wife and i,when we finish building will be living ,remote from our nearest village.

We are doing this because we dont want ,barking dogs ,radios ,motorbikes at all hours and general village noise.

we like quiet.

However this comes with a lack of neighbour type security.

if anything .should happen we could scream all night and noone will hear us.

So what should we reach for if we hear a motorbike or car pull in,late at night .

The phone?

The tea pot?

Whilst i hope i would never have to use any weapon,in self defence of my family ,i will sleep a lot better knowing i have some means of defence.

The founding fathers of the United States, Jefferson Hamilton Frankin et al gave the American people the right to bear arms in case -

As far as I'm aware Thailand is not part of the United States so it doesn't really matter a fiddler's fluck what the founding father's thought.

I seem to here the "founding fathers " referred to quite a bit these days.

It seems they have a lot to answer for.

On the other hand the following businesses love them.

Calico Light Weapons Systems

Edited by rockyysdt

We (my wife and I) recently went through the process of legally obtaining a gun. I think a 9mm may be too big for your needs, suggest .38mm. I would be surprised if you can get a premit for a 9mm.

Also I would suggest travelling to Bkk to buy the gun - there is very little to choose from in Ubon, I understand.

We purchased a .385 Smith & Wesson revolver for just over Bt90K. The semi autos can be got for about Bt50-60K.

There must be quite a bit of duty on handguns ,(or big margins) The S&W model 385 in .357 magnum sells for $800 US in the states.

The .357 magnum is a good choice in a revolver as it gives the option of using the magnum shell or the more user friendly .38 if a woman is firing it.

Using .38 rounds will leave traces of lead in the barrel. I bought Blackhawk .357 magnum for US$10 from someone that regularly used .38 rounds and they could not figure out how to get the lead out. I cleaned it up and resold it for US$50

Outside of the 19th century Wild West there is good reason for "anti gun babble" as witnessed by the mass shootings in USA, UK and elsewhere even with some kind of gun control.............. something we should all be considerate of :o

yadda yadda yadda.

Rampages in Japan with a Knife ring a bell ?