Can Anybody Learn Thai?

withnail

Can anybody learn Thai?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah you can learn thai  but you just need to practice and practice    it also helps if you can write and read also  gives you a better understanding of the language  :o

It helps too to have the TV turned on to just Thai channels. Get away from using English whenever possible.

Yeah you can learn thai  but you just need to practice and practice    it also helps if you can write and read also   gives you a better understanding of the language  :D

Great advice from someone who's mastered English so well.

Easy there, PvtDick - we don't want to turn this last bastion of "sanity" into another slag infested thread. :o

Yeah you can learn thai  but you just need to practice and practice    it also helps if you can write and read also   gives you a better understanding of the language  :D

Great advice from someone who's mastered English so well.

Easy there, PvtDick - we don't want to turn this last bastion of "sanity" into another slag infested thread. :D

Especially when you just finished pointing this up as a safe place in another thread. How ironic :D

I think the idea about tuning in Thai TV is really great. Even if you don't understand anything at first, after awhile you'll be able to separate the words and sounds better, you'll begin to recognize more vocab you already know....learn new vocab from context, etc... Pretty much the same as in learning English :D

I have a TV in my truck for just such a purpose. I hate listening to Thai radio because of too many loud commercials and the DJ's tend to talk over the songs too much. TV reception, especially ITV (coincidence that it belongs mostly to Thaksin? ) is pretty good on the Chiang Mai plateau. In the afternoon, when I do most of my driving, there are actually some interesting public help programs on.. They love to get officials on their handphones and ask them pointed questions live on-air... Inevitably, at some point, the man on the spot will say something like, "Aray na'? "Siang Mai chat",followed by "Hello?" Hello?" Dead air... Instead of having fun with that, the hosts still play along- to be polite, I suppose, but it's still obvious to regular listeners, since it is quite a common occurrence, and it only happens after 'annoying' questions... :o

Can anyone learn to speak thai? hmm ...well there are 60 million of them here, and barring the odd minority groups they all can speak thai.

My mothering-law cant read and write, but speaks thai perfectly, even my 6 year old niece speaks it, so yes anyone can learn. Helps if you Thai though :o

I'll agree with that, I think a musical instrument is a completely different sort of talent. I've played the guitar off and on for over 10 years and I will always be terrible at it. I don't think I've got the right fingers for it. I suppose with learning a language as long as you have a voice box and a fully functioning brain you have no excuse.