A Good Lawyer In Chiangmai

Finnish

As has been said, it rather depends on what area of expertise you need - horses for courses.......

A bit under a year ago, I went to the mature Khun Pipat because he came highly recommended on ThaiVisa when I researched this. Certainly very good English and I liked his realistic approach/manner for the matter I had in hand - a lease contract.

Tel/fax: 053 242900

e-mail: [email protected]

I suggest that with this as any other recommendations on here, you call say two or three of the lawyers and chat to them for a few minutes to establish a] that you can get along and b] that they have some potential to bring relevant expertise to the matter you're raising.

I have tried Pipat's number several times in the last week. Same result each time: the call rung out with no answer.

Is the number correct, is he on a long term sabbatical (or what)

I just checked on the map directions he sent me last year - both the number and e-mail address are correct. I've had not contact with him since then, so I don't know whether he might be away or what.......... sorry. He does have a lady assistant (secretary) in the office, so I would have thought the office would be covered if he's away. Maybe a fault with the 'phone (it's also his fax number) - try the e-mail perhaps? I'll PM you with the map and contact details he sent to me.

Tried that number yesterday and can confirm it is the number of a a massage parlour. They won't charge an arm and a leg. but they might massage an arm and a leg :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes on TV we get the wanabee teachers having a go at our grammar and spelling - sometimes with some venom. Of course, we all put up with it. It's only a forum and it's not a hanging offence even in Thailand.

There are some though with some real knowledge of the English language and given the thread title " a good lawyer in Chiangmai" perhaps one of them could explain what an oxymoron is. :)

Sometimes on TV we get the wanabee teachers having a go at our grammar and spelling - sometimes with some venom. Of course, we all put up with it. It's only a forum and it's not a hanging offence even in Thailand.

Do you mean the Grammar Nazis? blank.png

sheriff.png

I can confirm about ICO. I paid 17.000 for ONE letter, written on their paper which I had to sign. And yes, the first visit is very pleasant, from the second one Before they do anything they are asking for money.

I myself use a non English speaking lawyer in combination with an excellent interpretor. They Never ever ripped me of and did what I asked

Too bad Akarawath is so expensive from the moment he has his office at home. But he is good,

I can confirm about ICO. I paid 17.000 for ONE letter, written on their paper which I had to sign. And yes, the first visit is very pleasant, from the second one Before they do anything they are asking for money.

I myself use a non English speaking lawyer in combination with an excellent interpretor. They Never ever ripped me of and did what I asked

Too bad Akarawath is so expensive from the moment he has his office at home. But he is good,

ICO, the company used to be on Hang Don road not too far from Airport plaza, is that the one.

I used them a couple of years ago for a real estate purchase and due dilligence. Cost us just over half of what you paid for a letter. I can consider myself lucky then.

I do recollect going back there with some other business and they gave me a ridiculous quote, so much so that we went to the land office and went through the process ourselves. Saved a packet.

Regards Bojo

As has been said, it rather depends on what area of expertise you need - horses for courses.......

A bit under a year ago, I went to the mature Khun Pipat because he came highly recommended on ThaiVisa when I researched this. Certainly very good English and I liked his realistic approach/manner for the matter I had in hand - a lease contract.

Tel/fax: 053 242900

e-mail: [email protected]

I suggest that with this as any other recommendations on here, you call say two or three of the lawyers and chat to them for a few minutes to establish a] that you can get along and b] that they have some potential to bring relevant expertise to the matter you're raising.

You were lucky, that is all I can say.

1) he doesn't answer his telephone,

2) his charges might not be quite downtown New York but they are way over the top for a at best 3rd world country.

Baht 10,000 for a will is scandalous. It takes about 30 minutes to type up a will.

I used a guy some years ago for some conveyancing. His name was Udom and he did the job and didn't charge like a wounded bull. And he also gave good advice e.g. put nothing in a Thai's name :)

Sorry but I do not have his current contact details.

ICO, the company used to be on Hang Don road not too far from Airport plaza, is that the one.

I used them a couple of years ago for a real estate purchase and due dilligence. Cost us just over half of what you paid for a letter. I can consider myself lucky then.

I do recollect going back there with some other business and they gave me a ridiculous quote, so much so that we went to the land office and went through the process ourselves. Saved a packet.

Regards Bojo

They have 2 branches. I went to the second one and shoot me, I really don't know anymore where that second one is.., and claim to have one or more branches in BKK. They also claim they are part of an international group.

Besides that.. I second the reply to read about Thai law yourself, I already stated that in previous threads. Thai law is very basic, more like a framework. And also I found out that many Thai lawyers even don't Know their own law books.

I am a lawyer myself and had to draw the contract in English myself, it was translated to Thai and still asked 20.000 baht for paperwork and signature.

Edited by cmjantje

ICO was a sponsor and actually promoted (personally and as invited to Expat Club Meetings) as an "expert" by Chiang Mai Expat's Club officers. That is no longer apparently the case.

Beware of sponsors and those promoted as "friendly merchants" at the Chiang Mai Expats Club.

Edited by Mapguy

Regards Bojo

They have 2 branches. I went to the second one and shoot me, I really don't know anymore where that second one is.., and claim to have one or more branches in BKK. They also claim they are part of an international group.

Besides that.. I second the reply to read about Thai law yourself, I already stated that in previous threads. Thai law is very basic, more like a framework. And also I found out that many Thai lawyers even don't Know their own law books.

I am a lawyer myself and had to draw the contract in English myself, it was translated to Thai and still asked 20.000 baht for paperwork and signature.

Regardless of some really unqualified sorts, there are good lawyers in Chiang Mai! They do not, as I know it, hang out at the Chiang Mai Expats Club.

Just, as in any place, take the time to read a little bit about the law first so that you at least have intelligent questions to ask. Then, make an appointment!

Use the search function to find the Thai Civil and Commercial Code and/or Paiboon Press for a sensible book on Thai law for foreigners. Both are quite readable.

hi,

i've had a lawyer help me with a couple of condo purchases here in chaing mai and atm working on a land lease further up north. she works for both foreigners and thai and speaks english. her name is benyapa jamphian, 66(0)8 1746 6513.

I have used Krit from Sunbelt on several occasions and he seems to know his was around most problems. He is really helpful, speak good English, give good information and reasonable price.

Before you use the mentioned company, you REALLY want to send me a private message!!!! sorry but forum rules do not allow me to tell you more in public and believe me, there are so many others people here and there that can tell you even more about them....

• 2 weeks later...
If you haven't found a lawyer yet PM me I can help you and most likely save you a lot of money. My wife is a lawyer and has 2 partners that teach law at a university here in Chiang Mai. Point being is they speak fluent English and they won't rob you, you would be asked for no more than a Thai person would be asked for.

hello can you advise me on a lawyer that can arrange a prenuptial that would be in thai and english , and whether it would be legal in england,i am going to marry in thailand,how much time is needed before the marriage to prepare etc

regards

john

I seem to recall reading, one of the requirement for a law degree in Thailand, was fluency in English. I may be mistaken,does anyone know if this is fact or fiction? Another question, since laws concerning building codes, traffic laws, labor, etc seem to vary by province is a lawyer licensed for the entire country or a province? It does seem that the lawyers do not specialize in a field of expertise in Thailand, like they seem to do in other parts of the world. This may in part be due to the fact that legal counsel has only fairly recently (past decade) become a service required by the general public.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
If you haven't found a lawyer yet PM me I can help you and most likely save you a lot of money. My wife is a lawyer and has 2 partners that teach law at a university here in Chiang Mai. Point being is they speak fluent English and they won't rob you, you would be asked for no more than a Thai person would be asked for.

Hello,

I am residing in Chiang Mai and wish to make a simple will leaving all my estate (ha!) to the same person who would be the executor. I can even come in with a draft of it. I'm curious--how much should I expect to pay for that.

Regards,

George

• 1 month later...

The cognition of an annulment is real akin to a part. Same papers must be filed and

connatural hearings are held. An state can unremarkably be finalized often much

quickly than a break. Patch annulments unremarkably pertain to chunky marriages, the

time of the family is not a bourgeois in determining if an state is an alternative.

For model, if two grouping were wedded for 30 period, but one of them was joined to

someone else premier, it would characterize for invalidation.

-----------

marqthompson

• 4 weeks later...

I need a good English speaking lawyer who can help me in a court case(s) over a dispute with my ex involving land/fraud ay land registry /forcing her to sell

Any ideas welcome

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for a reply from three emails to Sumalee

I've resolved the query by going direct to the land office.

A few points:

1. The Thai version which keeps to the clauses in the civil and commercial code is the only valid version and costs a few baht from the land office.

2. The only version you get from Sumalee is in English. It is not a direct translation and includes clauses in English that are not enforceable.

3. She speaks very good English

caf

• 11 months later...

Most of the posts here seems to be a year or two old, but I find it better to ask you on this thread instead of starting a new.

Case: UNCONTESDED DIVORCE

Problems: Two children (girl 4 - boy 2 - love them - the problem is the parental rights / custody), two cars, a new nice - but modest - house built as a kind of a english/french lawn/garden with a house, a guesthouse, 2 carports, a toolshed (<deleted> - but is is so clean and big and beautyful that it beats any 3 star hotel in BKK) and a quite big gazeebo (too lazy to check the spelling - a hexagon roof on 6pillars, a watwr moat surrounding it and a small bridge to enter it) with hundreds of orchids (may be 2-300 k Baht) and tropical carps.

The wife has ca. 50 rai of rubber trees - her land - my money to keep it in shape (only a few trees give rubber already).

The children have 6 bank accounts with a few hundred thousand baht in total.

Both of them have Thai and farang passports (they have to put at least one foot on my farang land's soil before they are 18 - or else they will lose their citizenship).

We are married for almost 5 years, but it's getting worse by the year/month/week/day/hour.

She lives in Nong Khai, but I have told her that the divorce will take place in Chiang Mai (I'm fed up with the sticks and her family).

So if anyone can suggest a lawyer that is 'jai yen yen', able to negociate and prepare a divorce agreement that is acceptable to both parts (I'm not cheap, I will give her most of the things, but if she remarries and dump the the children with their grandmother, I will call in the lawyers, the police, some bodyguards and the cash needed and start to look for a house keeper and a nanny).

Thanks.

A good lawyer in Thailand would be wasted, if you could find one in Thailand he would need to know when where and who to lay the money on, and that in my book is not a good lawyer, just another middle man on the take. mad.gif

Absolutely the best in CM is still Ajarn Akarawath Intanant.

For contact details look at: http://lawyerchiangmai.com/

I would never say "absolutely the best" about Akarawath, who happens to be a lecturer (not a professor) at Payup University, not known as one of Thailand's best schools.

I can't speak for the Thai side of the university but IMO I think Payap is one of Thailand's best international universities. I do study and work there so I think I have a valid opinion on the university. It's not always great, but most schools in Thailand have their share of problems. I do know that the international college at Payap is always working to increase the quality of service it provides to it's students.

It would be appropriate for you to post a disclaimer that you are employed by the university.

Rereading the thread after a long time I'd say that the advice generally stands up quite well.

I can not comment on business law.

Hack work, such as most (simple) wills,powers of attorney and so on should cost (Thai - English) no more that 5 -10k. Pre-nups can be as complicated as you want to make them, and doing them in two languages can be difficult. Non-contested divorces can be lie-down easy to quite difficult, especially if children are involved (just like everywhere else).

One thought: Negotiation is a skill that every good lawyer should have regardless of where they are. And, in Thailand, if you have a contentious family situation to resolve, you really ought to have a good negotiator. The amount charged would vary, certainly, depending on how long things go on, whether you go to court or not and so on. But do get an estimate up front.

Another thought: You will be surprised at what you can do yourself, but you have to take the time to do the research. It won't make you a lawyer, but definitely worth doing.

I would never say "absolutely the best" about Akarawath, who happens to be a lecturer (not a professor) at Payup University, not known as one of Thailand's best schools.

I can't speak for the Thai side of the university but IMO I think Payap is one of Thailand's best international universities. I do study and work there so I think I have a valid opinion on the university. It's not always great, but most schools in Thailand have their share of problems. I do know that the international college at Payap is always working to increase the quality of service it provides to it's students.

It would be appropriate for you to post a disclaimer that you are employed by the university.

I did say that... :)

• 2 months later...

I think Payap is a wonderful University! And the International studies and free community outreach lecture series is a great asset to Thailand. Payap is constantly evolving to fill the needs of the Thai and International students. They even have an exchange program in association with the University of Cambodia.

I would highly recommend the various foreign exchange programs that they offer for a well rounded education.

Mark Allen, Chiang Mai resident