Debate

Boon Mee

โต้เถียง (tdoe-tiang) is more of an argument (tiang means argue, literally) but not necessarily negative. โต้วาที (tdoe-wa-tee) is formal debate. โต้คารม (tdoe-ka-rohm) is more of a friendly debate.

Watch the Ds and the TD's, you were spelling the Thai tdoe with D instead of TD, and to Thai's they're a world apart.

In everyday speech I hear "dtoo-tiang" โด้เถียง used to define debate.  Is the term "gaan-dtoo-waa-tii"  โด้วาที the formal term?

Cheers,

บุญมี

Hi BoonMee, :D

I think either โต้วาที "dto waa tee";or,การโต้วาที gaan dto waa tee" is usually a noun and is used for "a debate". :o

For the verb "to debate;to discuss;etc."you could use either โต้เถียง dto-tee-ang";or else one of the following similar words might fit the particular situation... :D

1.โต้แย้ง "dto yaeng"

2. ถกเถียง "tok tee-ang"

3.เถียง "tee-ang"

4.อภิปราย "api-praai"

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

อภิปราย can also be used in a group discussion with selected guest speakers, as one sees on TV a lot, the moderator is called ผู้ดำเนินการอภิปราย

I remember a very popular school debating show on TV a few years back, it was very lively and certainly contradicted the popular notion that Thai students hold no opinions about any current issues; that programme was called โต้วาที

bannork.