Goodnight...

Totster

ราตรีสวัสดิ์

Ok... I can use "rah dtree sawat" to say goodnight, but are their any other phrases or sayings that can be used. Maybe some more personal or intimate...?

Also just a quick question regarding the spelling...

I notice that "sawat" has got ดิ์ on the end which isn't sounded. It is also present in อรุณสวัสดิ์ but not prsent in สวัสดี..Why ?

cheers

totster :o

นอนหลับฝันดี (non lub fun dee=happy dreams) is pretty good and intimate. Can't think of others right now.

Well, สวัสดี is the long, full version of สวัสดิ์ which is used in the good morning and good evening words. When used as a part of a word, you don't use the full version (well, in this case you don't). Sort of like some English words.

ราตรีสวัสดิ์

Ok... I can use "rah dtree sawat" to say goodnight, but are their any other phrases or sayings that can be used.  Maybe some more personal or intimate...?

I notice that "sawat" has got ดิ์ on the end which isn't sounded.  It is also present in อรุณสวัสดิ์ but not prsent in สวัสดี..Why ?

cheers

totster  :D

Hi Totser, :D

I usually say... หลับฝันดีนะ "lup fun dee na"=sweet dreams;and,

พบกันใหม่ในวันพรุ่งนี้ "pop gun mai nai wahn prohng nee"=see you again tomorrow! :o

Snowleopard

นอนหลับฝันดี (non lub fun dee=happy dreams) is pretty good and intimate.  Can't think of others right now.

Well, สวัสดี is the long, full version of สวัสดิ์ which is used in the good morning and good evening words.  When used as a part of a word, you don't use the full version (well, in this case you don't).  Sort of like some English words.

ราตรีสวัสดิ์

Ok... I can use "rah dtree sawat" to say goodnight, but are their any other phrases or sayings that can be used.  Maybe some more personal or intimate...?

I notice that "sawat" has got ดิ์ on the end which isn't sounded.  It is also present in อรุณสวัสดิ์ but not prsent in สวัสดี..Why ?

cheers

totster  :D

Hi Totser, :D

I usually say... หลับฝันดีนะ "lup fun dee na"=sweet dreams;and,

พบกันใหม่ในวันพรุ่งนี้ "pop gun mai nai wahn prohng nee"=see you again tomorrow! :o

Snowleopard

Cheers guys...

I sometimes use ฝันดี มาก ๆ "fun dee mahk mahk" (did I use correctly ?)

totster :D

Cheers guys...

I sometimes use ฝันดี มาก ๆ "fun dee mahk mahk" (did I use ๆ correctly ?)

Looks quite okay but you don't need those spaces between the words! :o

Snowleopard.

I think it was the space that prompted me to ask the question... I take it that at the end of a sentence will just repeat the last word then. (being thick I suppose :D )

I sometimes use ฝันดี มาก ๆ "fun dee mahk mahk" (did I use correctly ?)

totster :o

totster~

Haven't used it much myself but the symbol named "mai ya-mok ไม้ยมก is like you say, the symbol for repeated emphasis.

บุญมี

'Ratrii sawat' and even more so, 'arun sawat' belong to those words that I only ever hear hear Thais using when they speak with foreigners or when they are excessively polite to each other for comic effect.

Essentially because the culture is different. We are used to being polite and mindful of the people around us in different ways.

'fan dii' and 'nawn lap fan dii na (khrap)' are the ones I use for good night.

In Northern Thai culture, the standard among the locals is just to say 'pai nawn la ner' (I'm off to bed, eh) and the standard reply is 'euuuh' (yeah).

'Ratrii sawat' and even more so, 'arun sawat' belong to those words that I only ever hear hear Thais using when they speak with foreigners or when they are excessively polite to each other for comic effect.

Essentially because the culture is different. We are used to being polite and mindful of the people around us in different ways.

'fan dii' and 'nawn lap fan dii na (khrap)' are the ones I use for good night.

In Northern Thai culture, the standard among the locals is just to say 'pai nawn la ner' (I'm off to bed, eh) and the standard reply is 'euuuh' (yeah).

Hi Meadish,

I am not familiar with the Kham Muang dialect only the Issan one, and what I hear them saying is this: Pai Norn Laew Deeeer.

Is the "ner" you are referring to by any chance the informal เนีย which is used over most parts of thailand or something specific to Kham Muang?

Not trying to nittpick here :o

Cheers

Michael

Hi Meadish,

I am not familiar with the Kham Muang dialect only the Issan one, and what I hear them saying is this: Pai Norn Laew Deeeer.

Is the "ner" you are referring to by any chance the informal เนีย which is used over most parts of thailand or something specific to Kham Muang?

Not trying to nittpick here  :o

Cheers

Michael

A fair question - I would never see that as nitpicking...

Yes, it is particular to Kham Meuang and it basically has the same tone shape and feel as the Isarn "deeeer", the only difference is the initial vowel.

It is not "nia".

BTW, in polite Laotian Lao, this same particle sometimes comes out as "daaaaeee", too. :-)