Renting A House With An Orchard Or Plantation Att.

udon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:o

:D  :D  Thanks Doug.

Erm, why are you shouting?

We have a house on a beautiful mango orchard ( about 80 trees ) that also borders some land we plant taro on.

I am looking for someone or a family to rent with a possibility of becoming caretakers for the mangos.

About 45 min from Kurat between Nong-Kee & Nangrong ( Buriram province )

Regards

Soidog brought up a very good point in an email.

tell me about your experiences in Thailand , living somewhat isolated ( from other foreigners ) requires a good understanding of Thai life to succeed

Now, it doesn't worry me not being nr the action in BKK but I have never been more than 20-30 minutes walk from a 7-11 or a noodle lady.

How I would cope being 30 mins by car or bus is another matter.

I will only have a scooter or use a baht bus, if there is one.

Soidogs offer is very fair, but I think I would be better to look for a house in the Khorat area and up to 30 mins walk etc from shops etc. :o

How do you folks cope with living in a remote area if there is only you and your partner? (no children to break the boredom) :D

Is it possible to be more than 20min away from a noodle vendor? I didn't think that was possible unless you went into a national park!!!

My village is far from Muang but many of the houses on the main road have shops. There's a couple of noodle places, a couple of convenience stores (none with all the 7-11 merchandise but you can request stuff....when they get to know you), and even a produce vendor. This is all within 20 min WALK. With a bicycle you can double or triple all this and include a couple of hardware stores, electrical supply shop, swimming pool (not veryclean though), video rental(almost all Thai language), internet shop, post office, lumber store, couple of wats, auto, motocy repair, book store, furniture store, pharmacy...you get the picture. With motocy....even more.

If you find the right spot you can find a quiet spot with most things near to hand. I think a bicycle and motocy are essential though for me. I can even get adsl if I want but don't.

tell me about your experiences in Thailand , living somewhat isolated ( from other foreigners ) requires a good understanding of Thai life to succeed

Now, it doesn't worry me not being nr the action in BKK but I have never been more than 20-30 minutes walk from a 7-11 or a noodle lady.

How I would cope being 30 mins by car or bus is another matter.

I will only have a scooter or use a baht bus, if there is one.

Soidogs offer is very fair, but I think I would be better to look for a house in the Khorat area and up to 30 mins walk etc from shops etc. :o

How do you folks cope with living in a remote area if there is only you and your partner? (no children to break the boredom) :D

That's a tough one to answer for somebody else. Not everybody can do what I do, or would like what I do. But, ok, for me: I live in a small village 80 km outside Korat. No 7-11, but plenty of "noodle" in the village and nearby villages. I love to motorcycle around and "visit" the different local villages. My wife's family live in the village and she grew up here so there is always something going on. Farong come and go in the area and are usually in for a beer and chat. My wife stays busy in her beauty salon. I enjoy motorcycle trips, both near and far. Will go down to Bangsaen this coming weekend, thru the mountains. Internet is good. Life is good. Basically, I do what I want, when I want, if I want. Oh yea, we have no children, but there are plenty of children around. Got a "houseful" right now playing games on my "spare" computer (school holiday today).

For everybody else,

What I meant was: I wanted to know how self-sufficient "Udon"

is, can he make it living on farm without any western comforts nearby.

I live with my wife & daughter in a village not far from the mango farm.

We spend most days working on the garden, the house, driving around to our land

visiting a few friends , ETC

We have good internet , UBC for less boring evenings. In general the quality of life is quite good if that’s what you like.

Obviously you can’t count on making a living.

I'm right out in the sticks as well, I really enjoy life here, but its not for everyone, I've got a blog running, if you want to know a bit more what rural life is like.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?au...blog&blogid=28&

And Chris Lourens blog is pretty good for rural life

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/blog/chrislourens/index.php?

We spend most days working on the garden, the house, driving around to our land
You've either got a LOT of land of a cr ap car :D

You can make a decent living from farming, depending on how much land you've got and what you do with it. I've got no other income coming in apart from the farm and we do pretty well. I did'nt have to rely on it when we first opened, but I'm getting a better return on the money from the cows than if it was left in the bank.

My village is far from Muang but many of the houses on the main road have shops. There's a couple of noodle places, a couple of convenience stores (none with all the 7-11 merchandise but you can request stuff....when they get to know you), and even a produce vendor. This is all within 20 min WALK. With a bicycle you can double or triple all this and include a couple of hardware stores, electrical supply shop, swimming pool (not veryclean though), video rental(almost all Thai language), internet shop, post office, lumber store, couple of wats, auto, motocy repair, book store, furniture store, pharmacy..

I though you lived out in the sticks Dug? sounds like a metropolis to me. :o

Cheers RC

No, It sounds very, very remote and primitive to me.

I need to walk to the noodle lady and a store within 20-30mins if I run out of essentials and do not have a car, so it looks like I'll head for Khorat or CM.

Thanks for the kind offer. :o

For me a car (preferably a pick-up) is a must for living out in the country, the only thing within walking distance is the shop (which is mine) and a noodle stall about 500m away.

The nearest "large village" is 8 km down the road and you can get most things there. "town" 30 km closest nightlife. City, Nakorn Sawan (65km), Lopburi (75km), Chinat (45km). Chinat is'nt far and is a nice city but it's more like a large town. Big C or Macro are the only places for "falang food" and for that you have to take a trip to Nakorn Sawan or Lopburi

To RC and Chris,

thanks for the links to your blogs, I'll follow them each month now.

Chris, I was looking for a pic of the smoked pork!

The smoker you made looks good.

Speaking of smokers, if you thought Cambo cigs were bad, don't try Oz Marlboro Lites, at $10 a pack they are crap.

Oz baccy is just awful!

I'm trying to get some Thai ones next week (brought in by a non-smoker) :o

cheers,udon

No, It sounds very, very remote and primitive to me.

I need to walk to the noodle lady and a store within 20-30mins if I run out of essentials and do not have a car, so it looks like I'll head for Khorat or CM.

Thanks for the kind offer. :o

You’re right , Udon from what I can see you will be much better of in Kurat but no orchards.

You've either got a LOT of land of a cr ap car ??

We do have a lot of land and a good car (cant’ live without it)

A.

If those mangos a those hard greenies, they are safe, if not, expect a visit after dark early next year :o

I'm currently eating a kilo of delicious Aussie mangos every day here...@A$2 a kilo. (60bt)

Better tasting, bigger and sweeter, than any Thai mangos I've ever tried.

Is there an embargo on exporting good mango stock/seeds from Aus and the USA?

A.

If those mangos a those hard greenies, they are safe, if not, expect a visit after dark early next year :o

I'm currently eating a kilo of delicious Aussie mangos every day here...@A$2 a kilo. (60bt)

Better tasting, bigger and sweeter, than any Thai mangos I've ever tried.

Is there an embargo on exporting good mango stock/seeds from Aus and the USA?

Actually there are about 5/6 different kinds, from the hard green to orange to yellow to melt in your mouth light green on the outside.

We don’t sell them, just eat & make jam & give away.

If you have good stocks brings it with you ( Thailand ) & plant it in the farm.

You can export to the US through the proper channels..

Never bring agricultural products in person, they’ll confiscate it.