What Degree?

nellyp

I have previously taught in thailand around four years ago, though for only 6 months (lived there for much longer . I had taken my TEFL and was lucky enough to land a job teaching in a private school :D . I then got married to my Thai girlfriend so we came back to Wales to live, as the money was better :o . I am now thinking of coming back to Thailand :D and would like to sart teaching again, but this time with a degree to back up my experience. I don't really know what kind of degree to take though :D . Obviously I would prefer a subject I am interested in, or I was thinking of an English degree. But I would like to know what degrees would give me a greater chance of the better teaching posts.

I would actually like to set up my own English school in the future in the South East as my wife is an excellent English speaker herself and we could make a great team in a small class situation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Edited by nellyp

I would advise a Degree in Education as this seems to be what is required now for a teacher's license. Failing that a degree in a subject you wish to teach and a postgraduate certificate/diploma in teaching. My best advice would be to become qualified as a teacher in your home country and get a couple of years experience there - when you eventually come to Thailand you will be ahead of the crowd.

I would advise a Degree in Education as this seems to be what is required now for a teacher's license. Failing that a degree in a subject you wish to teach and a postgraduate certificate/diploma in teaching. My best advice would be to become qualified as a teacher in your home country and get a couple of years experience there - when you eventually come to Thailand you will be ahead of the crowd.

Well said.

That's not the TCT proposal, is it?

You can obtain a Teacher Licence with any degree but you will need to take a Teacher Knowledge test if your degree isn't in education or you don't have a post graduate teaching qualification.

Anyway, regarding the Teacher Council of Thailand's proposal, here is a post I made on another website:

In summary:

Earlier this year/ late last year the Thai authorities (TCT) announced teachers will need to complete a Thai Culture Course + pass a Teaching Knowledge test. Many teachers reported they would need to complete these requirements and present to the ministries of Labour and Immigration to extend their work permits and non-immigrant visas and to the ministry of education to obtain a teacher licence. Very few people have actually reported being asked to present evidence of these 2 requirements when renewing, although a few in different provinces have. Most teachers renewed this year without any mention of the requirements. There is no official announcement from the TCT that I know of that these requirements are still in effect or will be required next year but if someone has a link that would be mighty dandy.

I've been in Thailand for quite a few years and every year there is a new scare. I remember the minimum tax payment scare (that was a good one), police check scare, visa crackdowns, 20 education credits scares... two things they all had in common were:

1) They never happened because they either didn't apply to (foreign) teachers or the idea was eventually dropped after it met resistance.

2) Farang 'experts' who will tell you the world is about to end. You'll notice that by and large the TCT Teacher Licence threads are kept alive by just a small group of individuals. Everyone else has lost interest.

The TCT thing may be globally enforced next year but I wouldn't hold your breath. The 'experts' told everyone a few months ago that by June this year all the farang teachers will have been booted out of Thailand. Take it all with a large pinch of salt and welcome to Thailand.

That's not the TCT proposal, is it?

You can obtain a Teacher Licence with any degree but you will need to take a Teacher Knowledge test if your degree isn't in education or you don't have a post graduate teaching qualification.

Anyway, regarding the Teacher Council of Thailand's proposal, here is a post I made on another website:

In summary:

Earlier this year/ late last year the Thai authorities (TCT) announced teachers will need to complete a Thai Culture Course + pass a Teaching Knowledge test. Many teachers reported they would need to complete these requirements and present to the ministries of Labour and Immigration to extend their work permits and non-immigrant visas and to the ministry of education to obtain a teacher licence. Very few people have actually reported being asked to present evidence of these 2 requirements when renewing, although a few in different provinces have. Most teachers renewed this year without any mention of the requirements. There is no official announcement from the TCT that I know of that these requirements are still in effect or will be required next year but if someone has a link that would be mighty dandy.

I've been in Thailand for quite a few years and every year there is a new scare. I remember the minimum tax payment scare (that was a good one), police check scare, visa crackdowns, 20 education credits scares... two things they all had in common were:

1) They never happened because they either didn't apply to (foreign) teachers or the idea was eventually dropped after it met resistance.

2) Farang 'experts' who will tell you the world is about to end. You'll notice that by and large the TCT Teacher Licence threads are kept alive by just a small group of individuals. Everyone else has lost interest.

The TCT thing may be globally enforced next year but I wouldn't hold your breath. The 'experts' told everyone a few months ago that by June this year all the farang teachers will have been booted out of Thailand. Take it all with a large pinch of salt and welcome to Thailand.

Steady on there cowboy. I said 'seems'. I would continue to advise the OP to get the qualifications I mentioned, because even if it isn't enforced they are good qualifications to have. They will provide security and open doors and put him ahead of the crowd. After all a teaching qualification shows at least more than a passing interest in teaching.

In regards to the farang experts the ones I worry about are those who keep on misinforming potential teachers that all that is needed in Thailand is a TEFL and a white face. This is far from the truth.

Steady on there cowboy. I said 'seems'. I would continue to advise the OP to get the qualifications I mentioned, because even if it isn't enforced they are good qualifications to have. They will provide security and open doors and put him ahead of the crowd. After all a teaching qualification shows at least more than a passing interest in teaching.

In regards to the farang experts the ones I worry about are those who keep on misinforming potential teachers that all that is needed in Thailand is a TEFL and a white face. This is far from the truth.

Fair comment - first paragraph.

Regarding the second paragraph though, the only tefl provider that spouts this nonsense is Text and Talk. Links aren't allowed but you can quickly find this statement on their website. They also say theirs is the only TEFL accepted by the MOE for a work permit and teacher licence - a disgraceful lie. A degree is the only requirement and probably always has been. You can 'check' T&T's information because they give you a person's first name and a mobile phone number to 'check' - LOLs as a well known TEFL shill would say. Surely anyone at the MOE with authority would have a landline and extension number.

However, I know of quite a few teachers who have managed to become legal without a degree. Mainly in governemnt schools but also a couple in private schools. In Thailand where there's a will, there's a way. Some provinces are easier than others.

I haven't found any other TEFL provider claiming that "TEFL and a white face' will get them a job. Name and shame them garro. Check their websites and report back.

I'm sure most would agree that there are many good reasons for completing a TEFL course but being accepted as a degree substitute is not one.

Edited by Loaded

Loaded, I searched the T&T website in search for their comments in regards to teaching in Thailand and whiteness, etc. In horror, I found something quite more disturbing. I will admit that I was disapointed to not find the info on whitness and teaching, but I will also admit, when I saw something of greater horror I stoped searching. It seems T&T promotes life experience degrees. Are they just trying to provide misleading info for people who would consider not doing a TEFL course because of not having a real degree? or, are they just out of their minds? I could not believe the links to the diploma mills were even provided, and it was suggested that the MOE desires such doccuments that could be obtained from these palces. I did learn one thing however. If I ever come back to LOS to teach, the TEFL course I plan to do before I start as a refresher will not be with T&T.

Maybe we should direct all the degree related enquiries to the websites of diploma mills, or to the T&T website to say the least. $299 USD will make you legal!

I would continue to advise the OP to get the qualifications I mentioned, because even if it isn't enforced they are good qualifications to have. They will provide security and open doors and put him ahead of the crowd.
Excellent advice. Not only will that open doors in Thailand, but in pretty much all countries around the world.

A BEd would be the way to go - if you've got time. A New Zealand BEd will take three years to complete - but I doubt if it will be worth any more than any other degree if you don't work for an additional two years to gain your teacher's registration. I switched from a BEd to a double major (linguistics and education studies) BSocSc. I'm now able to do papers that have a greater relevancy to TEFL, rather than waste time learning about the numeracy skills of six year-olds.

BTW, my focus on time has much to do with the fact that I'm 51 this year!

A BEd would be the way to go - if you've got time. A New Zealand BEd will take three years to complete - but I doubt if it will be worth any more than any other degree if you don't work for an additional two years to gain your teacher's registration. I switched from a BEd to a double major (linguistics and education studies) BSocSc. I'm now able to do papers that have a greater relevancy to TEFL, rather than waste time learning about the numeracy skills of six year-olds.

BTW, my focus on time has much to do with the fact that I'm 51 this year!

Hello Munted, I'm 52. I began a Grad Dip in Education this year. I've just started the 3rd and 4th of eight subjects - in August I've gotta go back home for one of three 'in school' teacher training months. Only gotta do one in my country of origin, I can to the others wherever the curriculum is recognised by the place I'll be qualified in.

My plan is to go to Thailand at the end of 2009, I need the savings. Already have degrees and celta...I thought, while I'm still in the west, I may as well do the dip ed...this will increase: my knowledge of teaching, my job prospects, my salary and the transferrability of my skills.

I now realise that my teacher's ticket will be beneficial down the line if Thailand doesn't suit or somesuch...I have a good career now...but you can only really work full-time in the field I'm currently in...teaching in the west allows part-time, casual etc much more readily.

This is a very important factor for my excelerating age...as I get older, perhaps I won't want to work full-time...

All of the above is helped by my being a study whore...I don't seem to want to, or have the ability to stop studying...there always seems to be another really interesting subject or course to be found. I thought when I finished my first degree, that I'd be enough to get me through. Same after a post grad degree, and again after the celta and now that I'm doing the dip ed (English/Literature & Social Science), I'm looking at studying 4 undergrad history subjects to enrich my teaching credentials even further...

E t R

All of the above is helped by my being a study whore...I don't seem to want to, or have the ability to stop studying...there always seems to be another really interesting subject or course to be found. I thought when I finished my first degree, that I'd be enough to get me through. Same after a post grad degree, and again after the celta and now that I'm doing the dip ed (English/Literature & Social Science), I'm looking at studying 4 undergrad history subjects to enrich my teaching credentials even further...

E t R

E t R, I haven't read of Thai schools requiring history teachers - but someone else might have that information. You'll possibly have more chance with the international schools, but from my understanding they would require that you have at least a couple of years practical teaching ( have teacher registration). If you've got a degree and a celta, that should be sufficient to get you a reasonable general conversational English teaching job. If you want to specialize, it appears that home country teacher registration would be a requirement. If you have the time this would be a good move. If you don't have the time, papers which have subject matters such as computers and education, planning courses for adults, second language teaching will help you get to the upper echelons of general conversational English. In my experience, if you show a certain degree of competency, you'll be offered administration / development work. So a paper that's going to assist in this type of work might also be beneficial.

E t R, I haven't read of Thai schools requiring history teachers - but someone else might have that information. You'll possibly have more chance with the international schools, but from my understanding they would require that you have at least a couple of years practical teaching ( have teacher registration). If you've got a degree and a celta, that should be sufficient to get you a reasonable general conversational English teaching job. If you want to specialize, it appears that home country teacher registration would be a requirement. If you have the time this would be a good move. If you don't have the time, papers which have subject matters such as computers and education, planning courses for adults, second language teaching will help you get to the upper echelons of general conversational English. In my experience, if you show a certain degree of competency, you'll be offered administration / development work. So a paper that's going to assist in this type of work might also be beneficial.

Oh, my hope is to teach English/literature in the International schools. By the time I return to Thailand, I will be a fully qualified teacher in my home country...perhaps even have one-year of experience...I hear the top tier international schools really work their teachers...while I am professional in my approach to work, I only want a decent salary in Thailand, I don't need the top school's salary levels.

I'd be very happy if I could land a job in one of the second tier schools. I understand my age is agin me so I wanna get back asap.

This history is taught in the schools with English/Aust/US curriculum. But really, studying history will be for fun...oh, and if Thailand doesn't work for me...the history will make me wonderfully employable elsewhere.

E t R

For teacher's who were licensed before 2003, they don't need to take the Thai Culture and Language Course, those after 2003 need it to get a renewal of their TL for next year. Police checks are mandatory, but again these are for new employees. In 2009 the rule about having a B.Ed. goes into effect, which I presume means that teachers in 2010 who might have to get a new license will be effected.

The M.O.E. also now requies a verification of a person's degree as well as a transcript.

Teacher's are occasionally sprung by the MOE for dubious qualifications and fake degrees.

In general, it isn't that they implement what they say they will, it's just that they don't seem to get a time-frame that is realistic for the bureaucrats involved. Once they do, it seems to happen. A 2nd problem seems to be with different policies being applied in different places.

So, if your planning on working in Thailand -- especially for an extended stay. A B.Ed. is the way to go.

For teacher's who were licensed before 2003, they don't need to take the Thai Culture and Language Course, those after 2003 need it to get a renewal of their TL for next year. Police checks are mandatory, but again these are for new employees. In 2009 the rule about having a B.Ed. goes into effect, which I presume means that teachers in 2010 who might have to get a new license will be effected.

The M.O.E. also now requies a verification of a person's degree as well as a transcript.

Teacher's are occasionally sprung by the MOE for dubious qualifications and fake degrees.

In general, it isn't that they implement what they say they will, it's just that they don't seem to get a time-frame that is realistic for the bureaucrats involved. Once they do, it seems to happen. A 2nd problem seems to be with different policies being applied in different places.

So, if your planning on working in Thailand -- especially for an extended stay. A B.Ed. is the way to go.

The police checks haven't been implemented in Chiang Mai.

And all of this stuff was supposed to be compulsory from May 2007 - it wasn't so I wouldn't be so confident that it ever will. Could you post a link to an official source backing your prediction Scott?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Thought my question might be relevent to the topic discussed.

I have a TESOL certificate and I am thinking of obtaining further study so I can gain a good job in Thailand and I have found out that The University of Wollongong, Australia may allow me to do a Grad certificate in Tesol since I have done a 120hr Tesol course and have previously taught in Thailand even though I don't have a Bachelor degree.

If I do this course would that guarantee me employment in a University or International school in Thailand?

Also would I get a work permit with these qualifications behind me?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

If I do this course would that guarantee me employment in a University or International school in Thailand?
No, it would not. International schools want real teachers with real credentials from the teacher's home country, plus real teaching experience in a real classroom. Universities want people with degrees.
Also would I get a work permit with these qualifications behind me?
Probably not, as you now need a 20 hour culture course PLUS sponsorship from your employer PLUS all the relevant paperwork. And part of hat paperwork includes a degree.