Petchabun

macb

Well having left Buriram in November last year, having been a bit nomadic around LOS and in different relationships etc etc:

A few months ago I rented a Bungalow outside Petchabun: But recently moved more Central with my New lady of whom I have known for almost 2 months now: At the moment apart from language problems the relationship is going well.

Well anyway we moved more Central to the town: nice Bungalow rented 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms lounge kitchen and we had furniture delivered usual stuff.

1.7 clicks from Tesco and Big 'C' and 7 clicks from my mates house:

Petchabun is situated right along side the Route 21 and 506 clicks from Chang mai and about 300 from Bkk.

Here are a couple of pics the New Ban and the view from the rear:

post-32485-1214715356_thumb.jpg

post-32485-1214715373_thumb.jpg

Petchabun I find is a pleasant area of Thailand to live in with the scenery and the folks are very helpful and friendly

There is a Farang Bar named Scoogies nice food booze cheap as well The proprietors Ian and Dee are good friends and do not live from from us at our location.

There are plenty of restaurants for Thai food and Karaoke bars and 3 night clubs.

There is night life if you know where to go ahemmmmm:

You can get Bkk post and The Nation in English and there is a Translation office that is not expensive:

Nong Khai immigration is about three half hours away:

There is an immigration at Thali which is only 170 clicks away for those on retirement Visa who do not need to Leave LOS:

and the staff are very friendly similar to Khap Cheong

Well thats all for now more soon

Well more news soon

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello macb,

Good to hear from you again :D after many months of absent.

Now you found a lovely lady and a nice place to call home. Hope you would start posting more on your new life in Petchabun. :o

Wish you lot of happiness in the years to come. :D

Your friend 'Tink'

Hello macb,

Now you found a lovely lady and a nice place to call home. Hope you would start posting more on your new life in Petchabun. :o

Your friend 'Tink'

Thanks again for verbal support:

I spoke to soon as this morning I took her back to her mothers House, but as before I will not bore readers with the details:

Are well plenty more fish in the sea

What's a reasonable range for the cost of Western-fit housing rental up there???

The Bungalow shown in previous post is costing me 5000 bht a month that is with two air-con but unfurnished. The one I had before was 3500 bht per month okay but not maintained by the owner furnished with one air-con

You can get two storey town houses with shop or parking facility below from 2500 bht upwards

If you want any more info only to pleased to help

Edited by macb

Hello macb,

Your friend 'Tink'

I spoke to soon as this morning I took her back to her mothers House, but as before I will not bore readers with the details:

Keep on shaggin mate. :D

Hello macb,

Your friend 'Tink'

You 're doing all right, macb

Hope you take time to learn about the relationship with the any lady who come into your life.

As you put it......" Plenty more fish in the sea," which means the situaton is working in your favor.

Good luck !

Tink

Well today I ran up to Tha-Li Immigration Office and re-newed my Retirement Visa it took less than 30 mins Cost 1900 bht:

This office is located not far from Muang Loei the journey from Petchabun was very scenic over the mountains and took me and my mate MGC two and a half hours:

This seems to be the nearest point to Petchabun, I might add that it is not a border crossing: There is a border crossing some 6 kilometres away into loas but it is for Thais only.

Located 170 kilo from Petchabun : route 21 North turning off onto the Pitsanaluk Road then towards Muang Loei passing Dan-Sai

Office details below (Staff very relaxed and friendly)

Amphoe Tha Li

Changwat Loet 42140 0-4288-9208

[email protected]

Well tomorrow going to order tt&t ADSL so will be on line in the near future at my residence:

Then once I get organised I will do the same as I did in my Buriram Topic: i.e adding local information supported with pictures around Petchabun prrovince

quoted........." Then once I get organised I will do the same as I did in my Buriram Topic: i.e adding local information supported with pictures around Petchabun prrovince ......".

................................................................................

Please do, macb,

I'm a kind of interest in hearing more about Petchabun eversince I learn that durring the WWII, Thai Gov't ( Field Marshall Plaek Phibulsongkram - Thai Prim Minister at that time) was seriously thinking to move the capital Bangkok to Petchabun. They even called Petchabun " Switzerland " at one time. :o

Well tomorrow going to order tt&t ADSL so will be on line in the near future at my residence:

Then once I get organised I will do the same as I did in my Buriram Topic: i.e adding local information supported with pictures around Petchabun prrovince

Good luck macb in covering all 12,668 sq klicks of Petchabun, hope you can afford all that diesel !!!.

Good luck macb in covering all 12,668 sq klicks of Petchabun, hope you can afford all that diesel !!!.

Well i decided on UBC instead wow english stuff again after 7 months of looking at thai and only understanding nothing hahaha

will get internet next month:

Who said diesel maybe use local transport (Chang) lol

Well i decided on UBC instead wow english stuff again after 7 months of looking at thai and only understanding nothing hahaha

If they can't do the scoreboard at darts.... Bin em! :o

Get the Dart board set up Mac,

You need some practice.

I sent you an email yesterday mate.

Bryn

Edited by Monkeypants

You need some practice.

Bryn

Yes mate got your email as soon as the rain eases a bit will get out there and do as requested

take care

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Macb

Been working in Sattahip for a year, just getting the retirement visa(I hope) and moving to Nong Phai where we have had a house built next Thursday. Be good to get together!

Chris

Do you mean Nong Khai mate if you do its about 4 hours away ?

You need some practice.

Bryn

Yes mate got your email as soon as the rain eases a bit will get out there and do as requested

take care

No mate Nong Phai about 50 klicks south of PB City

Cheers

Chris

Hi Macb

Been working in Sattahip for a year, just getting the retirement visa(I hope) and moving to Nong Phai where we have had a house built next Thursday. Be good to get together!

Chris

Do you mean Nong Khai mate if you do its about 4 hours away ?

Hi Macb

I have been visiting Thailand 4-5 times a year for 10 years whilst working in Middle East. Worked in Sattahip for a year building boats but decided to quit for health reasons, dust, fumes, but most of all some peace of mind as it has been pretty stressful.

Thought I would share some of my experiences with you for the benefit of anyone else considering a move to a lovely part of the world. My wife has 3.5 Rai just outside of Nong Phai in a small village, very rural in the middle of the rice paddies. We have had a smallish house built there and are moving up on Thursday, as soon as I have wrapped up some loose ends here in Sattahip. In other threads I have seen people querying the costs of self builds so I will quote the approximate costs here all in Thai Baht:

Landfill 115 dumper truck loads 50K.

Tractor to level 5K.

Elevated house consisting of large balcony, 1 master bedroom with en-suite, guest bedroom, large bathroom/utility room, small reception/office, kitchen at ground level, large lounge/diner with tiled patio area 796K, that figure includes the steel fencing on top of the wall and entrance gates.

Wall 120K (33 metre x 28 metre).

The house measures 12 metres x 8 metres including balcony and was built in the corner of the plot with the least landfill.

The lounge/diner is 8 metres x 5 metres.

We hired 2 building contractors to carry out the work and bought all the materials ourselves, as we could not be on site my sister in law was appointed as foreman and buyer, she did a fantastic job, we were very lucky there. The electrical contractor was highly experienced having worked wiring hotels in Singapore for 3 years and is now doing similar work in Bangkok.

The brickies were the contractors wives, the labour was extended family at 150-300 baht per day in between jobs on the farm.

Build time was just over 2 months for the house during which we made 3 visits at various stages.

Extra costs, Lao Kao, beer and food during our visits a party or two to say thankyou and a surprise completion bonus to every one who helped (200-500 baht in an envelope), the 9 Buddhist monks to come and bless the house etc.

Having worked briefly in the construction industry in the UK, qualified as a plumber and renovated 2 houses in the UK I have some building experience.

Tips: the usual never get angry, there are one or two things that haven't come out as well as expected but I am 99% happy with the standard of work. Due to the landfill we insisted that the posts were bedded in much deeper than usual. Anything I wasn't happy with I asked the Missus to sort out and maintained a smiling and happy relationship with the entire crew.

Was I ripped off at any stage, probably but not by very much, going on the 4000 B per M2 going rate (which in these inflationary times I think is very optomistic anyway) it comes to 544K for the house, but as the house is elevated with deeper footings and we bought higher grade materials, paint, tiles, kitchen, bathrooms, doors, windows, wiring and the fact that we had a lot of work done externally, ie patio areas, security bars, steel fencing then I think we have done OK, but there are bound to be negative remarks and someone who could have done it cheaper.

Will be pleased to answer any queries and hope to catch up with you soon

All the best

Chris

post-44882-1217737190_thumb.jpg

Macb -

Why not use the Immigration office in Hua Hin?.....about forty five minutes drive and we've been very happy with their service for the two years we've been in Cha Am.

You house looks very nice, especially the view!

Hi Macb

I have been visiting Thailand 4-5 times a year for 10 years whilst working in Middle East. Worked in Sattahip for a year building boats but decided to quit for health reasons, dust, fumes, but most of all some peace of mind as it has been pretty stressful.

Thought I would share some of my experiences with you for the benefit of anyone else considering a move to a lovely part of the world. My wife has 3.5 Rai just outside of Nong Phai in a small village, very rural in the middle of the rice paddies. We have had a smallish house built there and are moving up on Thursday, as soon as I have wrapped up some loose ends here in Sattahip. In other threads I have seen people querying the costs of self builds so I will quote the approximate costs here all in Thai Baht:

Landfill 115 dumper truck loads 50K.

Tractor to level 5K.

Elevated house consisting of large balcony, 1 master bedroom with en-suite, guest bedroom, large bathroom/utility room, small reception/office, kitchen at ground level, large lounge/diner with tiled patio area 796K, that figure includes the steel fencing on top of the wall and entrance gates.

Wall 120K (33 metre x 28 metre).

The house measures 12 metres x 8 metres including balcony and was built in the corner of the plot with the least landfill.

The lounge/diner is 8 metres x 5 metres.

We hired 2 building contractors to carry out the work and bought all the materials ourselves, as we could not be on site my sister in law was appointed as foreman and buyer, she did a fantastic job, we were very lucky there. The electrical contractor was highly experienced having worked wiring hotels in Singapore for 3 years and is now doing similar work in Bangkok.

The brickies were the contractors wives, the labour was extended family at 150-300 baht per day in between jobs on the farm.

Build time was just over 2 months for the house during which we made 3 visits at various stages.

Extra costs, Lao Kao, beer and food during our visits a party or two to say thankyou and a surprise completion bonus to every one who helped (200-500 baht in an envelope), the 9 Buddhist monks to come and bless the house etc.

Having worked briefly in the construction industry in the UK, qualified as a plumber and renovated 2 houses in the UK I have some building experience.

Tips: the usual never get angry, there are one or two things that haven't come out as well as expected but I am 99% happy with the standard of work. Due to the landfill we insisted that the posts were bedded in much deeper than usual. Anything I wasn't happy with I asked the Missus to sort out and maintained a smiling and happy relationship with the entire crew.

Was I ripped off at any stage, probably but not by very much, going on the 4000 B per M2 going rate (which in these inflationary times I think is very optomistic anyway) it comes to 544K for the house, but as the house is elevated with deeper footings and we bought higher grade materials, paint, tiles, kitchen, bathrooms, doors, windows, wiring and the fact that we had a lot of work done externally, ie patio areas, security bars, steel fencing then I think we have done OK, but there are bound to be negative remarks and someone who could have done it cheaper.

Will be pleased to answer any queries and hope to catch up with you soon

All the best

Chris

Nice write up mate this is all good stuff for those that are thinking of making the move etc

Hi macb, as a fellow Phetchabon resident, sadly in the UK until later in the year, I can recommend a trip to Khow Khor, which is about twenty km from Phetchabon city. Khow Khor is a memorial to the Thai forces that died during the Vietnam war, fighting communists in Thailand. It's on top of a mountain, with a museum, and beautiful gardens, probably best visited after the monsoon season. On the way up the mountain, there is a weird piece of road (signposted in thai), which, although the road is very steep, when you park the car, it appears to roll uphill! Sorry I can't give directions, I went in my brother in laws pick up, and sat in the back with the kids.

There is also a temple in Wang Chom Phu, with a Buddha statue on the hill, which offers spectacular views of Phetchabon, after a steep walk, up to the statue from the temple.

I'd be grateful if you'd post your experience with whichever ADSL you get, I intend to upgrade from basic modem internet when I return.

Cheers

Wee GB

• 4 weeks later...
Hi MacB

I am also on a retirement visa and read your post on Nong Khai for the renewal of your visa, where do you report for the 90 day check in to immigration? hopefully there is somewhere local that this can be done

Cheers

Chris

Depending on where you live in the Province I use Tha-li for 90 days and renewal very friendly office 168 k from Petch nice ride over the mountains