Petchabun

macb

Hi Mac nice to see you active again...Ive retired now and will be over to begin retirement properly on the 8th Oct...looking forward to it and if I can quote you 'God Bless the Civil Service'....Retired at 55

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mac nice to see you active again...Ive retired now and will be over to begin retirement properly on the 8th Oct...looking forward to it and if I can quote you 'God Bless the Civil Service'....Retired at 55

Congratulations mate: Maybe can meet up somewhere when you get settled: Cant remember where it was going to be now: I am living in Petchabun now pursuing a new relationship will pm you with my mobile number in Thailand : Happy retirement mate

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Macb

I have been visiting Thailand 4-5 times a year for 10 years whilst working in Middle East. Worked in Sattahip for a year building boats but decided to quit for health reasons, dust, fumes, but most of all some peace of mind as it has been pretty stressful.

Thought I would share some of my experiences with you for the benefit of anyone else considering a move to a lovely part of the world. My wife has 3.5 Rai just outside of Nong Phai in a small village, very rural in the middle of the rice paddies. We have had a smallish house built there and are moving up on Thursday, as soon as I have wrapped up some loose ends here in Sattahip. In other threads I have seen people querying the costs of self builds so I will quote the approximate costs here all in Thai Baht:

Landfill 115 dumper truck loads 50K.

Tractor to level 5K.

Elevated house consisting of large balcony, 1 master bedroom with en-suite, guest bedroom, large bathroom/utility room, small reception/office, kitchen at ground level, large lounge/diner with tiled patio area 796K, that figure includes the steel fencing on top of the wall and entrance gates.

Wall 120K (33 metre x 28 metre).

The house measures 12 metres x 8 metres including balcony and was built in the corner of the plot with the least landfill.

The lounge/diner is 8 metres x 5 metres.

We hired 2 building contractors to carry out the work and bought all the materials ourselves, as we could not be on site my sister in law was appointed as foreman and buyer, she did a fantastic job, we were very lucky there. The electrical contractor was highly experienced having worked wiring hotels in Singapore for 3 years and is now doing similar work in Bangkok.

The brickies were the contractors wives, the labour was extended family at 150-300 baht per day in between jobs on the farm.

Build time was just over 2 months for the house during which we made 3 visits at various stages.

Extra costs, Lao Kao, beer and food during our visits a party or two to say thankyou and a surprise completion bonus to every one who helped (200-500 baht in an envelope), the 9 Buddhist monks to come and bless the house etc.

Having worked briefly in the construction industry in the UK, qualified as a plumber and renovated 2 houses in the UK I have some building experience.

Tips: the usual never get angry, there are one or two things that haven't come out as well as expected but I am 99% happy with the standard of work. Due to the landfill we insisted that the posts were bedded in much deeper than usual. Anything I wasn't happy with I asked the Missus to sort out and maintained a smiling and happy relationship with the entire crew.

Was I ripped off at any stage, probably but not by very much, going on the 4000 B per M2 going rate (which in these inflationary times I think is very optomistic anyway) it comes to 544K for the house, but as the house is elevated with deeper footings and we bought higher grade materials, paint, tiles, kitchen, bathrooms, doors, windows, wiring and the fact that we had a lot of work done externally, ie patio areas, security bars, steel fencing then I think we have done OK, but there are bound to be negative remarks and someone who could have done it cheaper.

Will be pleased to answer any queries and hope to catch up with you soon

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris,

After finished reading your post on the other 'Petchabun' treads.

I went back to read more about your comments.

I'm so glad I found it. Petchabun sounds better each time when I heard.

Have to say, a good looking couple to go with a nice lovely home. After finishing those landscaping around the house, it's going to be like a dream home.

Congrats for a job well done.

One more score for Petc for having waterfalls. Tamarind fruit is nice too.

Thanks again for a very useful info.

Good luck.

Tink

Hi Tink

thanks for the kind remarks, doing the landscaping now, nightmare, the builders left a lot of junk and levelled piles of chippings and sand all over the place, and just when you think it could get any worse we have a thick band of clay to break up, the sand comes in useful for that. Could make pots out of it I suppose, but never mind it will keep us busy. Planted a load of shrubs today with help of 2 of Preyas sisters, the three of them amaze me, I am literally drenched in sweat and they all look so cool and fresh, oh my aching sunburned back!

Quick question, has anybody come across grass seed out here, I could turf but it comes out quite expensive and I am reluctant to spend a big chunk of money if I can do it cheaper.

Cheers for now (swigs Leo)

Chris

Hi Tink

thanks for the kind remarks, doing the landscaping now, nightmare, the builders left a lot of junk and levelled piles of chippings and sand all over the place, and just when you think it could get any worse we have a thick band of clay to break up, the sand comes in useful for that. Could make pots out of it I suppose, but never mind it will keep us busy. Planted a load of shrubs today with help of 2 of Preyas sisters, the three of them amaze me, I am literally drenched in sweat and they all look so cool and fresh, oh my aching sunburned back!

Quick question, has anybody come across grass seed out here, I could turf but it comes out quite expensive and I am reluctant to spend a big chunk of money if I can do it cheaper.

Cheers for now (swigs Leo)

Chris

After finished and done with. You and your teerak are going to sit back and relax on those patio seats looking at those flowers and plants with a wonderful feeling.

Go and enjoy the fruits of your labor, you deserve it.

Does your wife love the wonderful smell of gardenia flower? Thai call dok-put-ta-rak-sa

Hi Tink

I love gardenia and nicotania the fragrance in the eveniing is wonderful, just asked her and she does, so we will try and find some. Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it, my Thai must be getting better as she understood right away puttaraksa.

Thanks again

Chris

I thought I had posted this comment yesterday but cant find it:

I will get some pictures taken around the town once the weather improves so as to provide a more pictorial look at the Town.

In the meantime here are some links for your information

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/petchab...hill_hotel.html

http://thailand.sawadee.com/petchabun/

http://chongtour.blogspot.com/2007/08/nam-...ional-park.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Thailand/blog-122849.html

http://thailand.sawadee.com/petchabun/attractions.htm

Hi Tink

I love gardenia and nicotania the fragrance in the eveniing is wonderful, just asked her and she does, so we will try and find some. Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it, my Thai must be getting better as she understood right away puttaraksa.

Thanks again

Chris

May be she is a good teacher with a smart student. :o

Talking about putaraksa.

Everytime when I moved to my new place, first thing I did was planting a small bush of gardenia by my kitchen and bedroom windows. Wait for a year, then every summer, you're going to enjoy those wonderful fragrance roam all over the house.

Home sweet home :D , Chris

Happy to be in your forum list of friends. :D

Tink

I will get some pictures taken around the town once the weather improves so as to provide a more pictorial look at the Town.

Hi macb,

How's your love life with your new lady ?

Have been reading about what you kindly posted. I think about you...spee...aitch52...monkeypants...phutoie2...WeeGB...and others who live in Petchbun must be happy about making their choice of relocation here.

I'm hoping that some day in a near future I'll be one of you guys neighbors.

All the best,

Tink

• 3 weeks later...

Hi macb,

How's your love life with your new lady ?

Have been reading about what you kindly posted. I think about you...spee...aitch52...monkeypants...phutoie2...WeeGB...and others who live in Petchbun must be happy about making their choice of relocation here.

I'm hoping that some day in a near future I'll be one of you guys neighbors.

All the best,

Tink

hi there all is going well with the new lady, I go with the flow its been a month now: Thanks for enquiring.

As for Petchabun feel free to ask questions about Petchabun only to pleased to help. I will get around to photos in due course

Hello All

I travelled up to Tha Li yesterday, heavy rain for most of the way, so made for an interesting drive, took a couple of wrong turns so it took longer to get there than it should, fantastic scenery and flowers. The immigration office are friendly and helpful as you said Mac, but had a frustrating twenty minutes over a piece of paper stapled to my passport which I really should have removed, the official was convinced I had overstayed and was quite insistent I had to go to Jomtien to sort it out, gloom and despondency!! Anyway stayed calm and I eventually managed to convince him that it was a mistake. Once that was done then the paperwork took about 10 minutes to complete.

Took route 2114 for the drive back, the road follows the Mekong is very close to the Laos border, the views of the river snaking its way through the valley and the mountains of Laos in the background are tremendous. The road is quite bad at places with potholes and subsidence closing it to a single lane in some places.

All in all an interesting trip. I have seen somewhere on TV that you can do this by post, send a registered letter with the form 47 completed and an SAE to the main office in Bangkok for them to return the document 5 days before the due date, anyone else used this system? Well thats all for now

Chris

Hello All

I travelled up to Tha Li yesterday, heavy rain for most of the way, so made for an interesting drive, took a couple of wrong turns so it took longer to get there than it should, fantastic scenery and flowers. The immigration office are friendly and helpful as you said Mac, but had a frustrating twenty minutes over a piece of paper stapled to my passport which I really should have removed, the official was convinced I had overstayed and was quite insistent I had to go to Jomtien to sort it out, gloom and despondency!! Anyway stayed calm and I eventually managed to convince him that it was a mistake. Once that was done then the paperwork took about 10 minutes to complete.

Took route 2114 for the drive back, the road follows the Mekong is very close to the Laos border, the views of the river snaking its way through the valley and the mountains of Laos in the background are tremendous. The road is quite bad at places with potholes and subsidence closing it to a single lane in some places.

All in all an interesting trip. I have seen somewhere on TV that you can do this by post, send a registered letter with the form 47 completed and an SAE to the main office in Bangkok for them to return the document 5 days before the due date, anyone else used this system? Well thats all for now

Chris

I think to be able to do the postal registering you first have to go to immigration in bkk and apply in person: I am may be wrong but that was what Thai li told me

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Macb. I have just been trawling through the Issan forum and found a posting saying that you post here regulary.

Thanks for some lovely photos posted and what a fantastic place you have their with a lovely view.

I for one, miss your posts in the Issan forum and was wondering how you were getting along in your move. I'm glad to hear your doing well and are happy, you truly deserve it.

I shall be looking in regulary to see how things are going and look forward to your, as ever, informative posts and general happy outlook on things.

All the best, and my utmost respect

John.....

Hi Macb

I am doing a TEFL course in Khon Kaen at the moment just about to start the third week of 6, wonder if you could help me with a bit of networking. I would like to teach English in this area, preferably a school during the day time but I am willing to work in a language centre in the evenings or at weekends to gain more experience. I do have teaching experience, 6 years as a Technical Instructor with the British Military and ten years with a middle east Air Force. Any contacts with the local teaching community will be most welcome.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Macb,

I heard that you moved up to Petchabun. I finally got over for a "long" stay in Thailand and Buri-Ram and you'd moved on. I was sorry to hear about the break up, but am glad to hear that you got your sea legs back and are doing well. I've missed all the reports that you kindly made.

I'm here until December; if I can swing it, I'll see if I can make a road trip on my bike up to finally meet you in person. It's been a long time since we last chatted in the Isaan forum.

take care!

Chris

Hi Macb,

I heard that you moved up to Petchabun. I finally got over for a "long" stay in Thailand and Buri-Ram and you'd moved on. I was sorry to hear about the break up, but am glad to hear that you got your sea legs back and are doing well. I've missed all the reports that you kindly made.

I'm here until December; if I can swing it, I'll see if I can make a road trip on my bike up to finally meet you in person. It's been a long time since we last chatted in the Isaan forum.

take care!

Chris

hi mate:

sorry for the late reply, not got internet at my home as yet:

It has been a funny year since I de-bussed but now found a really good partner and am very happy. I will pm you you my mobile number.

Mac

Hi Macb. I have just been trawling through the Issan forum and found a posting saying that you post here regulary.

Thanks for some lovely photos posted and what a fantastic place you have their with a lovely view.

I for one, miss your posts in the Issan forum and was wondering how you were getting along in your move. I'm glad to hear your doing well and are happy, you truly deserve it.

I shall be looking in regulary to see how things are going and look forward to your, as ever, informative posts and general happy outlook on things.

John.....

hi mate:

sorry for the delay, its been a funny year in and out of relationships searching for the right replacement, but now I think and hope it has been achieved, only two months into the new relationship but am very happy she is very good and fun to be with.

Still not got internet at my home as yet, other priorities had to satret al over buying this and that, but never mind. I have promised to get this petchabun section running same as I did the buriram one, and it will be achieved in duw course.

Thanks for making contact

Mac

John.....

hi mate:

sorry for the delay, its been a funny year in and out of relationships searching for the right replacement, but now I think and hope it has been achieved, only two months into the new relationship but am very happy she is very good and fun to be with.

Still not got internet at my home as yet, other priorities had to satret al over buying this and that, but never mind. I have promised to get this petchabun section running same as I did the buriram one, and it will be achieved in duw course.

Mac

Hi Mac

Glad John found you, I think I might have suggested to him where to look, but not sure. There is a slight chance we will be heading up to your 'neck of the woods' soon so I will be in touch with a veiw to meeting up.

Stay Lucky

Dave

John.....

hi mate:

Mac

Hi Mac

Glad John found you, I think I might have suggested to him where to look, but not sure. There is a slight chance we will be heading up to your 'neck of the woods' soon so I will be in touch with a veiw to meeting up.

Stay Lucky

Dave

Hi mate:

Will pm you with my mobile number: nice to be hearing from old contacts and friends:

Mac

Hi there

Read your post about Khao Koh, Phetchabun, Not many farangs live there, but I have a home and some land there which I built 3 years ago. It is a beautiful place to live. I was a farmer, together with my wife we farmed 22 rai for 2 years up until I returned to the UK this year. I miss it dearly, but one day I will return. One piece of advice to anyone interested is don't get involved in farming for a living as it is near impossible to do, just admire the Thais who keep trying to feed there families this way and the rest of us who may live there. I hope you can see the photo of the view from my front door, it's not very clear but the only one I have as the rest are lost in a mobile phone that wiped the rest of them away.

Thanks for the nice photos you posted, I know all of those places.

David

post-20471-1227357698_thumb.jpg

post-20471-1227357744_thumb.jpg

Hi all

About Tha Li and visas, If you have a marriage visa/ non O visa for 1 year you can get a return by post paper that you send off a week before before and you can continue your life without going over the border for 1 year. When this is up you have to make a new visa unless you have residency. If you do not have an O visa for 1 year you can make a 90 day visa if you are married to Thai national but you have to go out and make one. You cannot make this visa in Tha Li as you cannot go over the border there for this purpose as far as I know, you have to go to Nong Khai to do this, but you can make a 30 day visa in Tha Li, then you go over the border to Laos at Tha Li. I did this 9 months ago so things may have changed since then.

Hope this helps

David

Thanks Handy

I have tried for the marriage visa but got the run around and ended up with a retirement visa, the hammering that sterling is taking lately makes the prospect of getting one next year doubtful. I am doing a TEFL course at the moment in Khon Kaen so if I manage to get employed the the marriage visa will be a little easier to achieve

All the best

Chris

Hi Mac

happy to hear all is going well with you, as for internet connection I went to the local telephone office and bought a wireless home phone, it's called CAT-CDMA. You get a wireless handset and a home number, as far as I can work out the calls locally are free. If you are frugal with the internet it comes to about 350 B per month. The handset costs about 1800 B, we get a bill each month and pay at the 7/11. The connection is sometimes fast, superslug speed, some times very slow knackeredslug speed, but it's ok for e-mail and TV.

Hope this helps

All the best

Chris

Interesting that you central Petchabun & Petchabun city folk use Tha Li as your local immigration office. A Swiss friend has just renewed his extension of stay at Suan Plu (Bangkok) and was informed to use Tak for next year, another neigbour was told to use Ayuthaya immiration office. Myself, I will still go down to Suan Plu again and see what happens!.

Most of ex-pats here do 90 day address reporting by post, certainly cheaper and easy once you have all your photo copying sorted.

Finally not wishing to be too pedantic but there is no such thing as retirement & marriage visa's!. They are extension of stays of your non-O visa based on either marriage or retirement, if you meet the requirements. Mainly financial of course!. If it says 'VISA' on your annual stamp I would be surprised!

I found 'HANDYMANS' post a tad confusing, I have never done a border run and do not intend to, unless they change the rules etc. My golf partner has been extending his non 'O' visa for the last 9 years and again has never left Thailand, he's fortunate that he applied under the old rules for marriage extensions and only has to keep 400k Baht in the bank and not the new 40k Baht a month income.

The first time I did a 90 day stamp run was to Tha-li to Friendship Bridge but was re-directed to Tha-li town where there is a Thai immigration office as I don't need to leave Thailand. I was told that Tha-li Friendship Bridge was for Thais only and thought nothing more of it. I recently advised a friend that he would have to go to Nong Kai, I think he made a wrong turning or something and went to Tha-li Friendship Bridge, and found a small Hut so to speak (Thai immigration office)

He achieved walking into Loas and back to Thailand with no problems.

This is nice scenic route over the mountains I class it as a run out every 90 days.

Went along to the cold season festival In Nong Phai last night, running until 3rd December I think. We enjoyed a Korean BBQ on the pavement at a low table a bit hard on the buttocks excellent value. Had a walk around the funfair, no great shakes but OK for an evening out. Apparently the festival will then move to Nachaliang for those interested.

Went along to the cold season festival In Nong Phai last night, running until 3rd December I think. We enjoyed a Korean BBQ on the pavement at a low table a bit hard on the buttocks excellent value. Had a walk around the funfair, no great shakes but OK for an evening out. Apparently the festival will then move to Nachaliang for those interested.

Aitch- thats sounds very much like the fair we have just had in Phu Toei, one show I thought amusing, some chap selling something from wooden box's in front of him and for attracting a large crowd - a 10 foot long-extremely wide python. The local kids throwing small stones at it to make it move!

I kept my distance of course.

Hi Phutoie

yes pretty much the same but no snakes from what I saw, we went last night for the closing of the fair. Football competiton and the bamboo ball over the volleyball net, (forgotten the name!) very entertaining tho'.

Chris